ADVERTISEMENT

Shore Conference HS basketball.

I decided I was going to go to the game not know it was sold out. I get the weekly coast star and could have sworn they said the game was at St. Rose. I go there and a varsity girls game is in the fourth quarter. I stick around thinking the boys game must follow but then realize based on some chatter I hear around me it is at Manasquan. Also did not realize you need to get tickets in advance for such a game. St. Rose's gym is very small so I assume it would have been the same there. Oh well. I am sure St. Rose was favored to win since Manasquan lost Adams but Manasquan appears to be well coached and I figured they would put up a good fight. Looks like SR won by 19. They play CBA at home on Friday

I will say the girls game was highly competitive and it was fun watching both teams pass and move without the ball. St. Rose won primarily because they hit a ton of free throws down the stretch once they got the lead.

I decided I was going to go to the game not know it was sold out. I get the weekly coast star and could have sworn they said the game was at St. Rose. I go there and a varsity girls game is in the fourth quarter. I stick around thinking the boys game must follow but then realize based on some chatter I hear around me it is at Manasquan. Also did not realize you need to get tickets in advance for such a game. St. Rose's gym is very small so I assume it would have been the same there. Oh well. I am sure St. Rose was favored to win since Manasquan lost Adams but Manasquan appears to be well coached and I figured they would put up a good fight. Looks like SR won by 19. They play CBA at home on Friday

I will say the girls game was highly competitive and it was fun watching both teams pass and move without the ball. St. Rose won primarily because they hit a ton of free throws down the stretch once they got the lead.
Manasquan has lost 2 key players, the PG who tore his ACL in the summer is a huge loss and the Adams kid went out to the Midwest to play. Yes, St.Rose dominated from start to finish..

I wonder if RU is recruiting Adams ?

Watched him play in the summer leagues and his offense could use some work but he's a bigtime defender.

A neighbor told me awhile back he was a UVA lean.

Don't get to see much HS hoops anymore as we're away for most of the winter but for a small , middle class community Manasquan does a fabulous job in hoops both girls and boys.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ

Watched him play in the summer leagues and his offense could use some work but he's a bigtime defender.

Don't get to see much HS hoops anymore as we're away for most of the winter but for a small , middle class community Manasquan does a fabulous job in hoops both girls and boys.
Well his sister transferred from North Carolina and now plays for Rutgers, that can't hurt.

What did you think of Matt Hodge? Seems like a nice size kid who can play inside and on the perimeter. Going to Villanova just like his coach. Brother Jayden who is a sophomore not as big but highly regarded for his class as well.

Hodge is impressive. I think he’s under rated. He’s an older player, i think he is 19, as a high school senior, given he transferred in from Sweden last year. He physically looks ready to play in college right now. Also plays with an edge and handles the ball well for his 6-8 size. . Star rankings are tricky, but I don’t see how Gavin was rated a top 20 player, and hodge is barely within the top 100. Hodge looks like an immediate contributor in college and future pro.

What did you think of Matt Hodge? Seems like a nice size kid who can play inside and on the perimeter. Going to Villanova just like his coach. Brother Jayden who is a sophomore not as big but highly regarded for his class as well.
The kid is a stud. When he drives to the rim at least on the HS level, no one can stop him. Between last year and this year, I've seen him 5 times. His outside shot has such nice rotation from his hand and his foul shooting is something sorely missing from a Rutgers team.

Hodge is impressive. I think he’s under rated. He’s an older player, i think he is 19, as a high school senior, given he transferred in from Sweden last year. He physically looks ready to play in college right now. Also plays with an edge and handles the ball well for his 6-8 size. . Star rankings are tricky, but I don’t see how Gavin was rated a top 20 player, and hodge is barely within the top 100. Hodge looks like an immediate contributor in college and future pro.
The Hodge brothers came to the USA from Belgium, not Sweden. Everything else you said I agree with 100%. Kid should be rated higher I think.

The Hodge brothers came to the USA from Belgium, not Sweden. Everything else you said I agree with 100%. Kid should be rated higher I think.
Right. The coach Brian Lynch played pro ball in Belgium with Hodge’s father. Lynch is married to women who was a really good tennis player. Maybe Kim Clisters (sp).

Yes they are recruiting him. I don’t believe he ends up at Rutgers. Heard from someone who knows, that a few other schools are in the lead. There is still a chance Rutgers could land him, especially with his sister at RU.

Scary stuff.
No. 11 Manalapan at Freehold Twp. -- PPD, TBA

The Manalapan at Freehold Township game was postponed during the second quarter after one of the officials suffered a medical emergency and was rushed to the hospital after being tended to by emergency personnel, according to Freehold Township coach Todd Smith.

My son played against the Hodge kids last year. The younger one was a freshman at that time and it was early in the season. From that one game, it appeared to me the younger brother is going to be far better than the older brother. And older brother is a total stud. Neither of them tried to hog the game...but they are big, athletic, and skilled. They had a couple other kids that were good too...and they were missing a kid that had to sit out due to transfer...I think maybe from Italy or something.

Reactions: malaka27
My son played against the Hodge kids last year. The younger one was a freshman at that time and it was early in the season. From that one game, it appeared to me the younger brother is going to be far better than the older brother. And older brother is a total stud. Neither of them tried to hog the game...but they are big, athletic, and skilled. They had a couple other kids that were good too...and they were missing a kid that had to sit out due to transfer...I think maybe from Italy or something.
The older Hodge has a full ride to Villanova

Not surprised at all, he's a stud. I'm just saying the younger one looked like he would be the better player when it's all said and done.
I saw the game last night and agree with your assessment. Both are very good. One thing I didn't appreciate is the Rutgers sucks chant when Pikes son had the ball.

Yes they are recruiting him. I don’t believe he ends up at Rutgers. Heard from someone who knows, that a few other schools are in the lead. There is still a chance Rutgers could land him, especially with his sister at RU.
The sister will graduate from Rutgers prior to his freshmen year in college.

Don't get to see much HS hoops anymore as we're away for most of the winter but for a small, middle class community Manasquan does a fabulous job in hoops both girls and boys.
Remember, their sending district includes Spring Lake, Sea Girt, Avon and Brielle.

Not too shabby.

And they accept out of district with tuition. That’s how they had those dominant girls teams. Flaherty and Mabreys never lived in sending district. Darius Adams never lived in district.
This is exactly the case. I know a kid who was from Wall and his parents spent something like $16k so he could go to manasquan and play basketball there. I think the Adams kid is from Bordentown or something like that....not even remotely near Manasquan.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
And they accept out of district with tuition. That’s how they had those dominant girls teams. Flaherty and Mabreys never lived in sending district. Darius Adams never lived in district.
Always thought they were Avon? Guess I was wrong.

And at one time Avon was split between Manasquan and Asbury Park.

Always thought they were Avon? Guess I was wrong.

And at one time Avon was split between Manasquan and Asbury Park.
Mabrey was Neptune. And Flaherty was Wall and Metuchen (moved in with uncle😉 when tranferred without sitting out her senior year).

I think Belmar sends their kids there as well. From a proximity perspective Wall seems closer.

Manchester is where Adams lives.

This is exactly the case. I know a kid who was from Wall and his parents spent something like $16k so he could go to manasquan and play basketball there. I think the Adams kid is from Bordentown or something like that....not even remotely near Manasquan.
Manchester

Reactions: ScarletDog
Right my point was I never understood from a proximity perspective why Belmar kids went to manasquan instead of Wall. Wall is right down 18th Ave. I guess they got a better deal from manasquan
I see what you mean now. Either a better deal or maybe Wall doesn't want out of towners. Squan might need the extra kids to justify the staff, etc. Who knows but your point makes sense...missed that.

St Rose plays vs Montverde this Sat (in Franklin) , will be huge crowd to see Cooper Flagg vs Matt Hodge

$30 a ticket!

Incorrect on the Mabrey’s.

They lived in Belmar.

Mabrey was Neptune. And Flaherty was Wall and Metuchen (moved in with uncle😉 when tranferred without sitting out her senior year).

Incorrect on the Mabrey’s.

They lived in Belmar.
I thought it was Avon.

But anyway, maybe we’re thinking of the time when a few of the Squan girls transferred to Point Beach for like a season or two. Something about a coaching change.

Anybody else remember that?

Reactions: Scarlet1984
I saw the game last night and agree with your assessment. Both are very good. One thing I didn't appreciate is the Rutgers sucks chant when Pikes son had the ball.
What exactly prompted the Rutgers sucks chant ?

I know the CBA student section can get on opposing players pretty good….perhaps the St Rose kids were trying to dish it too. Pike’s kid is pretty good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT