ADVERTISEMENT

Snow 1/3-1/4? And continued very cold...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just drove from Scotch Plains up to Summit for work. Ride was so/so. Route 22 was nearly blacktop and some main county roads decent. But Summit road, driving up from Route 22 in Mountainside toward Route 78 and into Summit was a bear. I saw 3 cars stuck on the hill and had to slalom through them to keep moving. That road is the route to Overlook Hospital so I'm surprised it wasn't treated at all. Oh well....hoping for a less sketchy ride home. Not much snow, but slick in spots.
Summit road is treacherous not on a snow day going up that way. Glad you made it.

Checking in from NJ Transit... Raritan Valley line 9:23a from Cranford to NYC came right on time. So far so good on the rails up here.

Heard the buses were sloppy, as expected.

This is pretty amazing - getting close to all-time lowest pressure for a non-tropical cyclone in the western Atlantic (949 mbar, I believe). If the storm track were just 50 miles west of where it is, we'd (I-95 folks) be in the 12" zone, but will likely have to settle for 6" or so.

"Official NWS map analysis from @NWSWPC has min pressure down to 957mb now with the Nor'easter. Drop of 15mb in just the last 6 hours; 36mb in 12hr; 47mb in 18hr. Amazing deepening rates."

https://twitter.com/Ale.../status/948916592662007808/photo/1

This is pretty amazing - getting close to all-time lowest pressure for a non-tropical cyclone in the western Atlantic (949 mbar, I believe). If the storm track were just 50 miles west of where it is, we'd (I-95 folks) be in the 12" zone, but will likely have to settle for 6" or so.

"Official NWS map analysis from @NWSWPC has min pressure down to 957mb now with the Nor'easter. Drop of 15mb in just the last 6 hours; 36mb in 12hr; 47mb in 18hr. Amazing deepening rates."

https://twitter.com/Ale.../status/948916592662007808/photo/1

and if it were 50 miles further east, we might just be getting mood flakes lol

Reactions: RUPete
Sounds like people north and west of the shore (even Freehold) will be screaming bust. I am screaming for it to stop already here in Wall. I have a couple of drifts that are close to 1 foot deep already.
It's real bad here in Howell as well. I can't even see the back end of my property past the barn. I slept in today, my wife took care of the animals this morning and I quote," It's windy as sh*t out there, the snow was pelting me sideways".

Lots of prep work happened last night to bare down for this storm. So we have plenty of water in case we lose power(own well), wood inside for the stoves and animals all hunkered down. We do it the night before now, we've been fooled too many times before.

Was still early at 7:28 am - what now? My friend there said about 2.5" there now.

It's all blowing around so hard to say how much. As you predicted, there is nothing on the trees or cars. Even my driveway still has plenty of black area. But looking out, it looks pretty bitter out there.

It's real bad here in Howell as well. I can't even see the back end of my property. I slept in today, my wife took care of the animals this morning and I quote," It's windy as sh*t out there, the snow was pelting me sideways".
@mildone will be more than happy to "take care" of the animals if it gets worse. You got sheep?

Reactions: jmg75
@mildone will be more than happy to "take care" of the animals if it gets worse. You got sheep?
I don't make house-calls. Not in this weather.

I'm hunkered down with a bit of a cold. About to hop into Jacuzzi to try to degunk my head (he says, teeing one up for everyone :)).

Pouring heavy snow now with visibility <1/4 mile. Getting hard to measure with the wind, so took a dozen or so measurements and as of 9:30 am it averages about 2.5", which make sense, since we were around 1.5" at 8:30, which is is 1" per hour, a pretty decent rate. If the current even heavier rate holds, it'll be maybe 1.5" per hour - it's amazing out there right now.

Will the wind die down when the snow stops at about 6:00 pm or continue till tomorrow? Hate to plow with heavy wind.

No, we actually sold all of the sheep, but we do have some nice virgin gilts(pigs) for @mildone. Or if he prefers some of our whore sows he's more than welcome to give it a go. I just have to gussy them up before he comes over.:)

Oh my god; will you give it a rest.

ouch the truth hurts

snowapp1.jpeg

Will the wind die down when the snow stops at about 6:00 pm or continue till tomorrow? Hate to plow with heavy wind.
The news this morning said it's going to continue to be windy for the next few days with wind chills below zero at times as well. Not sure if there may be breaks though.

No, we actually sold all of the sheep, but we do have some nice virgin gilts(pigs) for @mildone. Or if he prefers some of our whore sows he's more than welcome to give it a go. I just have to gussy them up before he comes over.:)
Holy cow! That's bestiality you guys are talking about. Sheep are different.

Holy cow! That's bestiality you guys are talking about. Sheep are different.
Not if you put some lipstick and a dress on it.:)

On another note, I can't get my Great Pyrenees inside, all I see is two snow balls running through out the pastures killing each other then they disappear into the snow. This has been going on for 2 hrs. now. I'm going to have snow encrusted frozen dogs and they love it.

Reactions: mildone
Remember when teenagers used to go around looking to make a few bucks by shoveling ?
We used to go down to the corner, wait for cars to stop, grab onto the bumper and get towed around town.

Back when American kids were tough.......and cars had bumpers.

Reactions: RutHut
ouch the truth hurts

snowapp1.jpeg

Right here in Jersey..

"Teen Assistant offers several services to residents of nearby towns, ranging from small tasks to seasonal cleanups. Some of their highlighted services include shoveling snow, tech assistance and furniture movement and assembly, but Teen Assistant is open to hear any job requests, Cox said."

Now GO GET YOUR SHINEBOX!

httpsps://www.tapinto.net/towns/westfield/articles/westfield-student-creates-business-that-pairs-tee

Reactions: bac2therac
We used to go down to the corner, wait for cars to stop, grab onto the bumper and get towed around town.

Back when American kids were tough.......and cars had bumpers.

I was Herculean. Myself and a few of the old American roughs used to sit near the entrance to a housing development with mid-density housing, and nail windshields with snowballs. Sometimes even plow trucks. Then we'd take Daddy's ol' trusty shovel and hit the sidewalk and porch. . American Grit.

Coming down very thick here in Wayne, visibility low, winds are really howling at times.

When we first moved in around 2001, we'd get kids coming around offering to shovel. Now, never.

I don't make house-calls. Not in this weather.

I'm hunkered down with a bit of a cold. About to hop into Jacuzzi to try to degunk my head (he says, teeing one up for everyone :)).

You should call these guys:

van-1.png

What if there was an Uber for snow shoveling?

I give anyone the right to take that idea in return for a meager 25% of all profits.
The folks who most need help shoveling aren't tech savvy enough to use an app to order anything. See: my parents.

Unless I'm underestimating the laziness of people these days, and if so, now i'm depressed.

Pouring heavy snow now with visibility <1/4 mile. Getting hard to measure with the wind, so took a dozen or so measurements and as of 9:30 am it averages about 2.5", which make sense, since we were around 1.5" at 8:30, which is is 1" per hour, a pretty decent rate. If the current even heavier rate holds, it'll be maybe 1.5" per hour - it's amazing out there right now.

As of 10:30 am, estimating about 3.5", which is another 1" in the last hour, less than I expected with how heavy the snow is falling, but that's what I got. About to head out on an errand. Snowing pretty heavily now and the radar shows the heaviest stuff of the day coming at us.

good morning folks....jave is brewing and I am ready.

reports of 4 inches in Colts Neck

here in Belle Mead...very fine small flakes...accumulating around 1.25 inches
Hit the Copper Kettle Deli about an hour ago for breakfast for the family. Not sure if you go there, but it's a great place!

Jeebus you guys with the complaining about kids.

I have kids asking to shovel my driveway practically every year. Maybe its just where you live.

Reactions: RU2055
now they are snowflakes afraid to get wet
They still come around in my town. I think people who moved out into sprawling suburbs where the homes are far apart don't see the kids come around, but if you're in a more densely populated/space town you will see it.

As of 10:30 am, estimating about 3.5", which is another 1" in the last hour, less than I expected with how heavy the snow is falling, but that's what I got. About to head out on an errand. Snowing pretty heavily now and the radar shows the heaviest stuff of the day coming at us.
When do you think this wraps up today for our area? I'm working in NB and live in No. Plfd.

We have 8" in Manahawkin as of 10:30. NWS said 8 -10" total. I don't think so/

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT