ADVERTISEMENT

Snow 1/3-1/4? And continued very cold...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This cabin you speak of... In the mountains of North Carolina?

Interesting. A place like that would be nice.

Yes. In Boone. Up in northwest corner of NC, pretty much on TN border. Known as the "High Country" and historically as the "Lost Province." 2018 off to a brutal start up thereabouts. We had planned on staying up there til mid-month. Twas just not possible.

Yes. In Boone. Up in northwest corner of NC, pretty much on TN border. Known as the "High Country" and historically as the "Lost Province." 2018 off to a brutal start up thereabouts. We had planned on staying up there til mid-month. Twas just not possible.

A late friend of mine moved from NJ to Boone, around 2000ish. Had a house on a high hillside with about 10 acres, with a view of Pilot Mt. out the back. Great country up there.

Kuchera adjusted for ratios

IMG_1063.GIF.9481677f484f940a3c4e8b0cbabfd338.GIF

Did they increase the expected averages EAST of 95??

its pretty similar, remember this is really the only model showing the biggest amounts but yeah east of 95 looks pretty solid for at least 6 and how much more than that is the question

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Looks like total of 4" of snow here in Pinehurst, NC. Snow started around 3:30 pm. Appears to be done. Village and county alerts issued to stay home/off roads for tomorrow, so snow removal can occur. Supposedly cars are abandoned all over, making snow removal difficult. Below freezing temps over next few days. So no melting until Sunday. Hopefully.

On another front, we retreated from the Boone cabin on Tuesday, after experiencing - 4 degrees as overnight low for two consecutive nights, and wind chills at - 11, this at 4600-foot elevation. Well head froze. Sheesh. Forecast was nuts, with wind gusts up to 45 mph. Thawed the water system, drained it, then headed east to warmer temps of 14 as nightly lows.

Nice! Didn't think the snow was supposed to make it that far west or at least not that much. Could be a sign of precip being stronger on the western side of the stomr than modeled. Reports of 5.3" in Charleston, SC, 3rd all-time most and even 0.1" in Tallahassee, first measureable snow in 28 years. Eastern NC/VA starting to get hammered

its snowing in Wildwood
Snowing in AC and even a bit north of there now - moving in faster than expected. - anywhere you see the green (above 20 DBZ) it's snow reaching the ground; the blue could still be virga (snow that is falling which the radar "sees" but which evaporates before it reaches the ground - this is because the column is not saturated with moisture yet (often well below 100% RH).

https://content.invisioncic.com/r27...I(1).gif.d144ca6d2f58cd0742cb156ba328e787.gif

5a4da17516c70_RAD_KDOX_N0R_ANI(1).gif.d144ca6d2f58cd0742cb156ba328e787.gif

Ok folks, help me out and talk to me about Friday. I'm in Orlando (it's 37 degrees down here) and flying back into Philly Friday, due to land a little before 5pm. I'm hearing the flight level winds will be high well into Friday night.

Any guesses for what air travel into PHL on Friday will be like?

Lee Goldberg, who I like a lot, has the 6" line running essentially along the NJ TPK from Philly to NB to NYC +/- 10 miles, with maybe a 25 mile wide swath of 3-6" to the NW of that line and maybe a 20 mile wide swath to the SE of that line getting 6-9". Then there's maybe a 35 mile wide swath NW of the 3-6" area expected to get 1-3" and simillarly a thin swath SE of the 6-9" zone getting 9-12" towards the coast. He has 12"+ possible for eastern LI. Solid forecast.

Ok folks, help me out and talk to me about Friday. I'm in Orlando (it's 37 degrees down here) and flying back into Philly Friday, due to land a little before 5pm. I'm hearing the flight level winds will be high well into Friday night.

bumpy, but they'll be flying...

Reactions: ClassOf02

Windy and very cold (teens)

Lee Goldberg, who I like a lot, has the 6" line running essentially along the NJ TPK from Philly to NB to NYC +/- 10 miles, with maybe a 25 mile wide swath of 3-6" to the NW of that line and maybe a 20 mile wide swath to the SE of that line getting 6-9". Then there's maybe a 35 mile wide swath NW of the 3-6" area expected to get 1-3" and simillarly a thin swath SE of the 6-9" zone getting 9-12" towards the coast. He has 12"+ possible for eastern LI. Solid forecast.

this is pretty realistic, I like his call, perhaps NYC can get more if they get into the bandings before it moves away but this puppy is a quick mover. Lee thinks that dry air will eat at some of the inland push of snow so we might have to wait a little to maybe 3 AM while coastal sections snow

this is pretty realistic, I like his call, perhaps NYC can get more if they get into the bandings before it moves away but this puppy is a quick mover. Lee thinks that dry air will eat at some of the inland push of snow so we might have to wait a little to maybe 3 AM while coastal sections snow
Since I live literally maybe 3/4 of a mile from the Turnpike and am very close to his 6" line (a few miles west of it, as his line is a few miles east of the TPK in my area). I predicted 5.5" for me earlier today on 33andrain. Seems like a decent guess and oddly enough, that's exactly what the NWS graphics page spits out for Metuchen for the storm. I still think the upside is more than the downside with this storm though, given the high ratios and how freakin' strong this storm is, such that it may pull a few deformation band surprises that could give some people a few inches more than they expect.

on another note yesterday I think this thread had 3K views....this morning it was like 6K...now its like over 14K.....INSANE

Thought it would be fun to share the snowfall maps from the entire 00Z model suite tonight, just so people can see the outcomes and variability. These all assume a 10:1, snow to liquid precip ratio, whereas we're likely to have close to 15:1 ratios so you can multiply the numbers in these maps by about 1.5 to get snow depth amounts. This is due to the very cold column (so no liquid water present), the great conditions in the dendritic snow crystal growth region, and the superb vertical velocities, driving supersaturation and crystal growth via vapor phase deposition on nucleated crystals. So here you go; I'll just keep adding these to one post, so it doesn't clutter up the board.

First up is the NAM 12 km lower resolution mesoscale model:

26196355_10212933665010405_8200289005210598133_n.jpg

Next up is the NAM 3 km high resolution mesoscale model:

26229565_10212933730652046_5006573433893594253_n.jpg

Next up is the 00Z RGEM, regional Canadian mesoscale model. Notice that the mesoscale models have toned down there 12" plus snowfall amounts, but are still significant to major snowstorms, especially from 95 east.

26167453_10212934022659346_1185237744934026686_n.jpg

Now for the first of the global models, the 00Z GFS. Looking pretty similar to the mesoscale models now, which is what happens as one gets closer to any event - the models only have to predict out about 20 hours to get to the end of the storm now, so the errors and model to model variability will usually be much smaller at this point. Generally still seeing roughly 4-7" very close to the NJ TPK and 6-10" SE of that line and 2-4" more than 20 miles NW of that line. If it's 10:1 snow as per the model graphics; those numbers translate to about 6-10" for the 95 corridor, 9-15" SE of that line and 3-6" more than 20 miles NW of 95.

26168648_10212934066980454_6661469451850259083_n.jpg

And now for the 00Z Canadian high resolution HRDPS model, the snowiest model so far, although not by a huge amount...

26165458_10212934200503792_5809690299578734079_n.jpg

Next to last one is the UK global model, which is now the snowiest of all the 0Z models tonight. The I-95 corridor from Philly to Trenton to NYC is all in that yellow 20-25 mm of liquid precip band or 2.0-2.5 cm or 0.8-1,0" of liquid or 8-10" of snow at 10:1 ratios or, better yet, 12-15" at 15:1 ratios expected. Time for a nap until maybe 3 am to get up to watch the storm and stuff, as I'm on vacation tomorrow, so I'll really get to enjoy this one.

26170000_10212934489511017_89889129393828198_n.jpg

And finallly the Euro - came in about as snowy as the UK, i.e., close to a foot of snow for I-95, considering 15:1 ratios. Map is smaller, but that's all I have.

26195844_10212934569433015_6947980746032427916_n.jpg
Replying to my long post with all the model output for 0Z. By far, the most interesting observation is, for the first time in this storm's history the pretty good consistency in track, intensity and snowfall amounts across all the models. Finally, the global models, especially the UK and Euro caught up to the mesoscale models (NAM/RGEM/HDRPS), shifting their tracks west and bringing more snow to the area.

Not sure if the Euro/UK showing close to a foot for the I-95 corridor, when considering ratios close to 15:1, is enough to get the NWS to up their snowfall forecasts or not. I would, at least a little - maybe go to 6-9" for the counties that were at 5-7" (several) and have the areas NW of there up to 3-6" (from 2-4") and have the coastal areas go to 8-12" from 6-10" That's probably what I would do, but I'm not in charge.

Things should get crankin' by 3 am for me, so time for a nap...

on another note yesterday I think this thread had 3K views....this morning it was like 6K...now its like over 14K.....INSANE
That’s because people like me come here for the weather forecast during events like this and mostly ignore all the ridiculousness on TV. Shout out to you guys that do this. It’s very informative and a lot of fun.

Since I live literally maybe 3/4 of a mile from the Turnpike and am very close to his 6" line (a few miles west of it, as his line is a few miles east of the TPK in my area). I predicted 5.5" for me earlier today on 33andrain. Seems like a decent guess and oddly enough, that's exactly what the NWS graphics page spits out for Metuchen for the storm. I still think the upside is more than the downside with this storm though, given the high ratios and how freakin' strong this storm is, such that it may pull a few deformation band surprises that could give some people a few inches more than they expect.

Same here. Live in Milltown about half mile west of the NJ Tpke. Expecting 6 inch snowfall here.

Replying to my long post with all the model output for 0Z. By far, the most interesting observation is, for the first time in this storm's history the pretty good consistency in track, intensity and snowfall amounts across all the models. Finally, the global models, especially the UK and Euro caught up to the mesoscale models (NAM/RGEM/HDRPS), shifting their tracks west and bringing more snow to the area.

Not sure if the Euro/UK showing close to a foot for the I-95 corridor, when considering ratios close to 15:1, is enough to get the NWS to up their snowfall forecasts or not. I would, at least a little - maybe go to 6-9" for the counties that were at 5-7" (several) and have the areas NW of there up to 3-6" (from 2-4") and have the coastal areas go to 8-12" from 6-10" That's probably what I would do, but I'm not in charge.

Things should get crankin' by 3 am for me, so time for a nap...

As I kind of expected based on the 0Z models, especially the Euro/UK, as noted by the NWS in their 4 am discussions, the NWS expanded warnings to all of NE NJ and the Hudson Valley and increased snowfall amounts essentially everywhere in response to the trends last night and this morning in the models showing more snow.

In addition, note that the 6Z mesoscale models that just came out also show increases in snowfall pretty much across the board (by maybe an inch or two vs. their previous runs - no idea if they had time to factor these in, but even if not they corroborate the idea of increasing snowfall predictions. We'll know in a few hours whether or not that was the right decision. I can only say that the pros on the boards are freakin' pumped based on the synoptic trends with the storm and the radar presentation.

For the I-95 corridor we can now expect 5-7" from Philly to Woodbridge (with lollipops to 9" as per the NWS) with more like 6-10" NE of Woodbridge (which is the NE-most point in the NWS-Philly's forecast area) from eastern Union County through NYC and even more for LI. See the updated maps below. Should be starting here any minute now (a heavy band has taken about 45 minutes to move 10 miles up the friggin' Parkway to my house - stuck at the tolls, maybe) and will be largely over by 1 pm or so.

26231209_10212935203328862_4027469519092520335_n.jpg

26166990_10212935204368888_6187626843948008153_n.jpg

Map of warnings/adivsories: winter storm warnings are pink, blizzard warnings are orange and winter weather advisories are blue...

26167332_10212935332132082_8974296351056818124_n.jpg

Last edited:
When's this thing supposed to start ? Almost 5a and not a flake. I thought it was to start a bit after midnight with the most intense part 6a-noon

Reactions: miketd1
When's this thing supposed to start ? Almost 5a and not a flake. I thought it was to start a bit after midnight with the most intense part 6a-noon

I am wondering the same thing. Nothing here in Hunterdon County.

Too much dry cold air in place right now, although the models didn't have significant snow falling towards I-95 until about 6-7 am - I just jumped the gun a bit looking at the radar before looking back at the models. 2" on the ground in Toms River and snowing in Monmouth County now, so it'll get here - just annoying to wait.

Too much dry cold air in place right now, although the models didn't have significant snow falling towards I-95 until about 6-7 am - I just jumped the gun a bit looking at the radar before looking back at the models. 2" on the ground in Toms River and snowing in Monmouth County now, so it'll get here - just annoying to wait.
The snow has begun here in Metuchen, finally. Took awhile to saturate the atmospheric column with snow falling from aloft and evaporating until there was enough RH in the column to allow the flakes to make it to the ground. Still only around 40% humidity at the surface, but must be close to saturated above us. Snowing lightly and pretty windy out there - going to be a tough one to measure accurately, as it's also a dry snow, so it'll drift all over the place...

Not seeing snow yet here in Wayne.

I see the maps bumped the amounts up between midnight and now.

Friggin' Wayne didn't bother to close the schools until this morning, only had set a delayed opening as of midnight last night. Every other school in Wayne had already closed as of 9 last night, but the township decided to wait until this morning. Morons.

Not seeing snow yet here in Wayne.

I see the maps bumped the amounts up between midnight and now.

Friggin' Wayne didn't bother to close the schools until this morning, only had set a delayed opening as of midnight last night. Every other school in Wayne had already closed as of 9 last night, but the township decided to wait until this morning. Morons.
It's coming. Snowing hard in South Monmouth.
26166290_10156078310478024_1995469995472477344_n.jpg

Reactions: jerzey devil
Latest mesoscale HRRR model run crushes almost all of NJ with 6-12" of snow. NWS has also upped snowfall amounts again, especially east of 95 towards the shore - see map below and updated discussion further down. Going to be a fun day if you're on vacation, like me, but if you have to be traveling through it maybe not so much - take care.

26166340_10212935962427839_5734997759912603230_n.jpg

hrrr_asnow_neus_18.png

4 AM update...

*Major winter storm to impact the region through today*

Rapidly deepening low pressure currently located east of north
Carolina and moving north. Bands of snow are pushing north into
forecast area and the snow has already been falling moderate at
times over southern Delaware and coastal NJ with lighter snow
falling farther N/W across PA. As we head into the day Thursday,
the low will continue to rapidly deepen as it moves NNE east of
the coastal waters. Expect strong forcing aloft at the jet
stream level to couple with mid level F-Gen forcing to produce
bands of moderate to heavy precipitation at times over eastern
areas which will fall mainly as heavy snow...though a little
sleet could mix in at times this morning right near the New
Jersey shore. There is still some question just how far west
the moderate to heavy precipitation will extend with the HRRR
generally being drier to the west back toward I-95 compared to
the other high res guidance. We continued to stay with a
consensus approach which is supported by the latest
mesoanalysis and trends and overall, no major changes to the
forecast with this update. Expect snow, moderate to heavy at
times from I-95 east, this morning as the storm draws closer and
bands rotate back to the west. These are the areas that remain
under Winter Storm Warnings and Blizzard Warnings and the snow
could fall at 1 to 2 inches per hour at times here this morning.
Farther west, snow will be lighter from Chester Co. PA north to
the southern Poconos and far NW New Jersey as we don`t expect
the heavier bands to make it this far north and west. Again, the
main forecast challenge right now is right along the I-95
corridor itself since this area will be near the edge of the
heaviest bands. Generally expect 4 to 8 inches in this area but
it will be more if heavier bands make it farther west. Farther
east expect 8 to 12 inches with locally up to 14 inches
possible.

State offices are still on a 2 hour delayed opening, brilliant Christie, a final FU to NJ on his way out

Dan Zarrow 101.5 just commented that that there is a band down the shore that is not moving and is very interesting. If it doesn't move it may create a very large cutoff between 4 and 14 inches. Needs to be watched.

We already have 6 inches here in Ocean City, at least thats what they say. I have no idea how anyone knows this though as the winds are whipping like crazy, my 94 year old house is shaking. The snow is blowing and drifting, some areas are bare and some are a foot high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT