ADVERTISEMENT

Snow 1/3-1/4? And continued very cold...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
With the mess that the original thread has become, decided to take up a few suggestions to start a new thread. Hopefully this one works. Will start with the original post, then add in a couple of more recent posts to get things started.

Original First Post from 12/30/17

Since the Christmas thread where this potential storm has been discussed for a few days has kind of degenerated into bickering by many of us, I think it's time to start a new thread on this. I promise no bold predictions, lol (which I rarely do, but did a couple of days ago). Let's try to keep the bickering to a minimum, myself included.

Anyway, the global models have gone through a real rollercoaster ride the past 2 days. From an unprecedented (in my 20 years of following meteorological numerical models) near consensus on a major winter storm for our area at about 7 days out (48 hours ago) to almost every model being a complete whiff out to sea (and some way out to sea, like Spain, lol) yesterday, to the models generally moving back towards a potential winter storm in last night's and today's model runs.

Without going into all the details, briefly, the range of solutions now is from a near miss for our area, but a major hit for New England (GFS) to a monster snowstorm for the entire region (the UK) with the other models showing a light to moderate hit for us (the Euro and CMC). It is important to note, however, that all of the major models show a major to huge winter storm - the differences lie in where/when the primary coastal low "forms" and where it tracks from there.

The coastal will "form" from a piece of energy associated with the northern branch of the jet stream, "phasing" with a piece of energy associated with the southern branch of the jet stream, in which both players are thousands of miles away in the Pacific Ocean right now. Hence the initial model input conditions are very data sparse, meaning the error bars on the model outputs are still large and will likely remain somewhat large, at least, until these systems are on land in North America 2 days from now, roughly, which will be 2-3 days before the system hits us (probably starting late Wednesday night).

At this point, it's difficult to predict any exact outcome, which is why we won't see specific forecasts for snow, rain or mix until 2-3 days out, but the key take home message is that a major winter storm is possible and you might want to think about whether a winter storm would affect your plans, especially for Thursday. As they say on the weather boards, for now, we track - for myself and many of the pros and enthusiasts on the weather boards, half the fun is in the tracking.

One last comment. Even at 2-3 days out, things sometimes change significantly, with one of the biggest examples being the 12/26/10 Boxing Day Blizzard, where every model was showing out to sea 60 hours before the start of the storm, but almost every model flipped to a major snowstorm late on Christmas Eve, about 48 hours before the event (prompting me to drive home on Christmas night from Charlotte so I could be home for the storm, but that's a story for another time). And there have been famous busts, too, like Jan-15, where the huge snowfall ended up being displaced about 50-75 miles from where it was forecast even as the storm was starting, although from NYC east, the forecast was excellent. Many other major winter storms, however, were much better modeled in the 3-5 day range and even beyond for a few. Forecast accuracy does keep improving: 5-day forecasts now are as accurate as 3-day forecasts were 20-25 years ago.

Ok, one more comment. We will likely continue the sub-32F run until at least next weekend, which would put most of us at 12 days, which is top 10 for most locations for that kind of thing. And it could still stay below 32F for a few more days beyond that and get into the top 5; the record in NYC is 16 days in a row in 1961, which we likely won't quite hit, as the long range forecast is for above 32F by 1/8 or 1/9 (Day 15). Also, a few days (Sunday-Tuesday) are going to be truly cold, perhaps record-breaking. Freakin' 10F at midnight when the ball drops in Times Square - ouch - 3rd coldest ever, but the record is -7F in 1917 (and it was 4F in 1962).

For tracking purposes, the three main weather boards I look at and post on are below, plus there are tons of FB sites and professional media outlets to follow; the 33andrain site is only a year old, but it has become my favorite board with the best pro analysis going on (they do moderate heavily, though, which keeps the clutter down). I like the NWS a lot, so I'll link to them too.

https://www.33andrain.com/topic/790...ter-thread-part-iii-14-threat-disco/?page=154

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/50504-december-2017-discussions-observations-thread/?page=36

http://forums.accuweather.com/index...76d47e24bf&showtopic=33430&st=1180&start=1180

http://www.weather.gov/phi/

Reactions: NJIT_1990
Today's post from 1:22 pm

And today's 12Z models, which I don't think quite have incorporation of the richer data set from the system coming on-shore from the Pacific in BC yet, are still all over the place.

GFS - a bit closer than last night, but only an inch or so of snow for NJ, mostly near the coast.

CMC - a major east coast snowstorm with 6-12" (and probably more with higher snow to liquid ratios) for most of NJ/NYC, except far NW NJ with a bit less

NAM - a whiff, but a very odd one - moderate snows up to the DelMarVa, which then kind of "skip" our area and then reappear in SE New England (with us being on that line, but not getting snow).

RGEM (RPDS) - an historic snowstorm for just about everyone from Philly to NYC and beyond with 1-2 feet of snow for most.

UK - moderate hit for most of us - not the big hit of yesterday.

1:15 pm Edit: Euro almost did what CMC did, but the precip was shunted east by the northern stream energy late in its run, leading to only light snow for the area. Still a much better look aloft than last night's run. All the players will be on the field for tonight's runs, which initialize with 7 pm data - hopefully we'll then start to see some consensus.

One comment, based on a tweet from a top-notch met/friend who goes by HM (very well known guy on the boards/Twitter): the divergence we're seeing is very likely due to how the models are interpreting how the 2 pieces of energy (northern and southern stream pieces) are interacting. Where they "phase" (essentially combine into 1), the storm goes east and misses us. Where they don't actually phase but stay separate, this allows the southern stream to stay intact and go "negative tilt" towards the coast vs. out to sea, which is what some of the models are showing. I truly have no idea which solution is right nor do most or any of the mets, as far as I can tell.

I like his latest tweet even more (I don't do Twitter, but I read some): "I like the idea of snow around here." He lives in Mt. Laurel, just across the river from Philly. If Mt. Laurel, along I-95, gets snow, we all do (except maybe well NW).

Tonight's 6:29 pm post:

For the couple of models that run at 18Z, still seeing wide disparity from an inch or two and nearly nothing NW of I-95 (NAM/GFS) to a major hit (RGEM) with 8" or more. As I said earlier, tonight's 00Z model runs will finally have initial condition with all the pieced of energy finally on land in North America, such that we'll have much richer input data, which should lead to better modeling. Will be an anxiously awaited model suite.

NWS is playing it right, I think with their call for a general 1-3" along I-95, 2-4" towards the coast (and for NYC on eastward with up to 6" on LI - NYC map isn't up yet, but their discussion predicts that) and an inch or less more than 20-30 miles NW of I-95. Kind of a middle road which lets people know it's likely to snow, but not to panic yet (and leaving the door open for less). Edit - NYC-NWS map is up - just added...

26195477_10212917798053741_3210044446420001772_n.jpg

26166352_10212917968017990_1373060380937042708_n.jpg

ya know I started the other thread and then I told you it was started right in the thread you were posting in, which you had to see because you posted before my post and then after...lmfao at the ego

Reactions: Tango Two
Late January 1 and nobody knows 48 hours from now.
So much for weather forecasters.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Also, didn't want to ignore the brutal cold, as it will continue and get even colder in the wake of the storm, which is being ushered in by a full latitude trough. Temps will likely fall to near or below 0F Friday, Saturday and Sunday mornings, even in the urban corridor (and well below zero in the colder suburbs) and highs will struggle to get out of the single digits on Friday and Saturday; we’re also getting close to some records for consecutive days below 32F (record is 16 in Central Park and we’re likely to get to at least 14 on Sunday, but it might go above freezing on 1/8).

We’ll also have a lot more wind with this storm and in its wake, meaning dangerous wind chills are likely through at least Friday. This is where I put on my safety hat and remind people that having an emergency winter weather kit in your car is important – also, remember to check in on the elderly. Finally, we may also have coastal flooding if the forecasted monster storm comes close enough, as it’s supposed to be as powerful as a Cat 1 hurricane.

Links below - time to gear up for the 00Z runs...

https://www.33andrain.com/topic/801-potentially-significant-coastal-storm-00z-model-thread-1218/

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/50694-january-2018-model-discussion-thread/?page=39

http://www.weather.gov/phi/

Wait, was I gonna ban everyone from this thread? Or the other one? Ah, hell, maybe I should just merge all 4 threads - whaddaya think?

ya know I started the other thread and then I told you it was started right in the thread you were posting in, which you had to see because you posted before my post and then after...lmfao at the ego
Sorry, didn't see your post in that thread, as I had already decided to start a new thread a few minutes after saying I might. Pretty busy with weather, work and watching football and ignoring my wife - nothing to do with ego, especially since people had requested I start a new one. Poop happens. Hopefully, this thread doesn't go south.

@DJ Spanky - hey, can you lock the original thread? Gracias...

Earthlight (pro met at NY Metro Weather and one of the driving forces behind the 33andrain board) made a great post tonigh, which I'lll copy below. He's probably been the most optimistic of the pros for this event, but realizes it may not happen unless we see the northern stream energy diving down and causing the lead shortwave (southern stream energy which will become the coastal) to go more NNE vs. NE, moving its precip shield to the west towards I-95.

So far, no dice on the 00Z NAM, which says no snow west of 95 and only a 1/2 to 2" from 95 east, generally (2"+ from NYC eastward). However, the surface low pressure is a bit west of earlier, as is the precip, plus the pros all think it's very close to a major hit. We'll see...

Good evening friends. We have come a long way since we first began tracking this threat several days ago. We've watched the setup evolve quite a bit; we have been teased of a potential mega-event, and watched forecast models send the storm into Bermuda. We find ourselves now just a few days away from the event's organization, and forecast models, largely, are in agreement that the storm will miss the majority of the coastal plain in the Mid Atlantic States, with largely a seaward track and New England benefiting via longitude.

However, there is still one way (and I really mean one way) for this storm to work out. Oddly enough, it does not involve a vorticity phase, at least not the one that we have been tracking like maniacs for the past several days. While that shortwave is important, it's the next shortwave behind it, associated with a polar jet streak, that is more important. The westward and southwestward movement of that northern stream vorticity is the key to the setup, and the only chip we have left on the table that can tug this storm westward and expand the precipitation shield.

It is prudent for us to watch the evolution of this feature tonight - so lets take a moment to illustrate what is going on. As you can see here on the 18z GFS, which again ticked southward and more amplified with this feature, the southward movement of this feature has a direct relationship on the downstream flow. It amplifies the trough base and also aids in height rises along the East Coast. In other words, it re-aligns the height field on the East Coast on a more south to north orientation, allowing the low pressure system a window to tuck in northwestward instead of moving east.

Last edited:
Earthlight (pro met at NY Metro Weather and one of the driving forces behind the 33andrain board) made a great post tonigh, which I'lll copy below. He's probably been the most optimistic of the pros for this event, but realizes it may not happen unless we see the northern stream energy diving down and causing the lead shortwave (southern stream energy which will become the coastal) to go more NNE vs. NE, moving its precip shield to the west towards I-95.

So far, no dice on the 00Z NAM, which says no snow west of 95 and only a 1/2 to 2" from 95 east, generally (2"+ from NYC eastward). However, the surface low pressure is a bit west of earlier, as is the precip, plus the pros all think it's very close to a major hit. We'll see...

Good evening friends. We have come a long way since we first began tracking this threat several days ago. We've watched the setup evolve quite a bit; we have been teased of a potential mega-event, and watched forecast models send the storm into Bermuda. We find ourselves now just a few days away from the event's organization, and forecast models, largely, are in agreement that the storm will miss the majority of the coastal plain in the Mid Atlantic States, with largely a seaward track and New England benefiting via longitude.

However, there is still one way (and I really mean one way) for this storm to work out. Oddly enough, it does not involve a vorticity phase, at least not the one that we have been tracking like maniacs for the past several days. While that shortwave is important, it's the next shortwave behind it, associated with a polar jet streak, that is more important. The westward and southwestward movement of that northern stream vorticity is the key to the setup, and the only chip we have left on the table that can tug this storm westward and expand the precipitation shield.

It is prudent for us to watch the evolution of this feature tonight - so lets take a moment to illustrate what is going on. As you can see here on the 18z GFS, which again ticked southward and more amplified with this feature, the southward movement of this feature has a direct relationship on the downstream flow. It amplifies the trough base and also aids in height rises along the East Coast. In other words, it re-aligns the height field on the East Coast on a more south to north orientation, allowing the low pressure system a window to tuck in northwestward instead of moving east.

And DT/WxRisk has an awesome podcast out today which illustrates what earthlight was saying and goes further, comparing this storm's set up to the Jan 25, 2000 "surprise snowstorm." This storm was forecast to go out to sea even up to the night before the storm, but it was pulled towards the coast by a very similar feature as is being modeled by some of the models now.

The northern stream vort in 2000 dove S instead of SE as originally modeled, forcing the main low to respond by going N instead of NE - just like Newton said in physics, for every action, there's an equal and opposite reaction. This led to most of our area getting 6-12". See Ray's archive for this storm below. Not saying it's going to happen, but it's the only way at this point for this to happen to give us major snow for this storm and it is possible.

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2000/25-Jan-00.html

Clemson better get their act together or I am going to spend the whole night on these weather threads.

GFS was still a miss although the coast could get some light snow....Canadian was a bit more southeast and looks like it cut back amounts from last run with a very sharp gradient as you go west to east...verbatim is about 4-8 for most of NJ but this continues to be the only reliable model showing this much,

So, let's summarize the models tonight. Mixed trends for snow, although many of the pros analyzing the synoptics of the situation feel there were improvements towards a snowier solution, especially the surface low generally moving a bit west even if the precip shield hasn't yet. Not sure if the improvements are significant, to be honest.

Bottom line is there has been no real move towards a consensus - outcomes from a miss to a minor hit to a moderate hit to even a major hit are still on the table. Extraordinarily complex setup and system.

NAM (regional hi res model) - shows very little NW of I-95, but 1-2" from 95 east towards the Shore and from NYC eastward.

GFS - pretty similar to the NAM

CMC - nice hit with 4-8" for I-95 and up to 10" towards the Shore and from NYC eastward; 2-4" NW of 95 in general, including eastern PA/NW NJ. But a bit less snow than at 12Z.

RGEM (egional hi res model) - big hit with 6-12" everywhere and more than a foot from AC through the DelMarVa.

UK - still waiting - no idea why no maps yet.

Euro - came in similar to 12Z, maybe a touch snowier, but only 1-2" for I-95 eastward and <1" for NW NJ/eastern PA; 2-4" just east of NYC.

Also, note that most of the models are showing at least a few to several inches of snow (or more) along coastal GA/SC/NC/VA on Wednesday/Weds night. Those folks have no clue what to do with snow, lol.

Last edited:
DJ,have you heard anything about it possibly snowing within the next few months?

Huge shift west in the 6Z NAM with 3-6" for I-95 and more towards the coast and the regional Canadian RGEM still looks like a decent hit, but the 6Z GFS barely moves at all, still showing maybe only an inch or two for I-95...could be the GFS is just late to the party, as it's known to have a SE bias. Best to wait for the much more comprehensive 12Z model suite before making any conclusions on where things are heading. Only about half of the models run 4x/day (the CMC and Euro run 2x/day). Also, here's the updated NWS snowfall map from Mt. Holly, which is almost identical to yesteday afternoon's version. Not seeing the NYC-NWS one yet for some reason. .

26167613_10212921668430498_5626362255044506119_n.jpg

Assuming we get any snow, any idea when exactly it would start snowing in NJ? Is this a Thursday night event? Thanks.

The 12z 12kNAM puts some of us in the game....and coastal sections really in the game, LI, NYC but note the huge cutoff on here verbatim....a shift of 50-75 miles changes everything. My thinking all along is that its better to be a the coast. You can have most the western half of Jersey like Hunterdon/Morris/Somerset getting 1-2 while if you go to Middlesex you get 3-6 and then 6 plus plus at the coast. Remembers its the NAM and we know it always overdoes qpf amounts. GFS, CMC and Euro huge runs today

nam_total_precip_nyc_22.png.8fbe62d713e98c8f207acfebf140b6c8.png

Last edited:
Dan Zarrows take from earlier this morning

http://nj1015.com/frigid-forecast-rolls-on-midweek-snow-still-a-close-call-for-nj/

My first-stab snowfall map is a conservative, middle-of-the-road, realistic forecast, based on the latest data available. Although forecast confidence remains shaky, I feel comfortable communicating these numbers publicly — I believe there is an equal chance of needing to increase, decrease, and hold steady as the storm gets closer.

It is worth noting that the shorter-range, mesoscale models (namely the 06Z NAM) are starting to point toward a more significant snow event. Trend or fluke? Too early to tell — one run does not a forecast make. If models continue to trend in this direction, we’ll ramp up our snowfall forecast accordingly. Honestly, it is within the realm of possibility that we’ll need to double or triple this initial snow forecast in a perfect storm setup.

A few additional notes:
1.) No matter where the storm track ends up, New Jersey’s coastal counties (Monmouth, Ocean, Atlantic, and Cape May) will see the biggest snowfall accumulations.
2.) The storm timeline hasn’t changed: First flakes around Midnight Thursday morning, ramping up mid-morning Thursday, tapering off by Thursday late afternoon.
3.) The range of potential snowfall totals that I have seen for this storm literally runs from 0 to 12 inches.
4.) Coastal flooding and beach erosion are still concerns, but I’m uncertain as to the magnitude and timing. It all depends on the track and the wind direction.

Read More: Frigid forecast rolls on - midweek snow still a close call for NJ | http://nj1015.com/frigid-forecast-rolls-on-midweek-snow-still-a-close-call-for-nj/?trackback=tsmclip

A-Precarious-Snow-Forecast-20180102.png

Looks like the next day above 32 degees is next Monday. Snow event followed by highs in the teens for a few days doesn't sound like fun to me.

the 3k NAM was even juicier for the state, giving 6 inches even in the central portions...I am sure Numbers will eagerly deliver those maps lol. The NAM is still the nam, it is often ridiculed so its important to wait for the Euro before jumping to conclusions

The NAM is unfairly ridiculed in its range. I will point out (again) that the NAM was the only model to have last year's big snowstorm nailed through its entire run.

Dan Zarrows take from earlier this morning

http://nj1015.com/frigid-forecast-rolls-on-midweek-snow-still-a-close-call-for-nj/

My first-stab snowfall map is a conservative, middle-of-the-road, realistic forecast, based on the latest data available. Although forecast confidence remains shaky, I feel comfortable communicating these numbers publicly — I believe there is an equal chance of needing to increase, decrease, and hold steady as the storm gets closer.

It is worth noting that the shorter-range, mesoscale models (namely the 06Z NAM) are starting to point toward a more significant snow event. Trend or fluke? Too early to tell — one run does not a forecast make. If models continue to trend in this direction, we’ll ramp up our snowfall forecast accordingly. Honestly, it is within the realm of possibility that we’ll need to double or triple this initial snow forecast in a perfect storm setup.

A few additional notes:
1.) No matter where the storm track ends up, New Jersey’s coastal counties (Monmouth, Ocean, Atlantic, and Cape May) will see the biggest snowfall accumulations.
2.) The storm timeline hasn’t changed: First flakes around Midnight Thursday morning, ramping up mid-morning Thursday, tapering off by Thursday late afternoon.
3.) The range of potential snowfall totals that I have seen for this storm literally runs from 0 to 12 inches.
4.) Coastal flooding and beach erosion are still concerns, but I’m uncertain as to the magnitude and timing. It all depends on the track and the wind direction.

Read More: Frigid forecast rolls on - midweek snow still a close call for NJ | http://nj1015.com/frigid-forecast-rolls-on-midweek-snow-still-a-close-call-for-nj/?trackback=tsmclip

A-Precarious-Snow-Forecast-20180102.png

Is "Wiggles" an official Meteorologist term?

Reactions: bac2therac
The NAM is unfairly ridiculed in its range. I will point out (again) that the NAM was the only model to have last year's big snowstorm nailed through its entire run.

but the NAM is almost always overdone with qpf amounts. I thing these models seem to be trashed all the time depending on what one wants to happen. The Euro has always been lauded yet in this particular storm, its rather meh solution really isnt talked about too much, GFS has absolutely been hammered by everyone. It shouldnt be whatever models are showing the most snow. The NAM does point out the potential and how close this is to be a big storm for everyone. This is the type of storm that is going to have changes right up to the onset of precip. One of those with major bust potential either way due to lack of model consensus. Still think its a good bet the shore areas are going to be the hotspot along with LI

GFS ticking west catching up but its still not there yet....would deliver only about an inch to alot of the state up to 3 inches to the coast and parts of south jersey

I believe there is an equal chance of needing to increase, decrease, and hold steady as the storm gets closer.

LMAO at this line. I should point out that the quote was grabbed poorly. These are not bac's words, they're the words of the meteorologist he was quoting.

CMC was much better hit for NJ seeming to concentrate the heaviest stuff here rather than LI

eyeballing verbatim would be 3-6 the northern 1/3 of NJ, 6-10 the central 1/3 and 8-12 south jersey...yet another differnet output to consider...mets are going to go nuts with the models all over the place

onto the Euro

12Z model trends certainly towards more snow for the area. I'd expect to see the winter storm watches go up for at least South Jersey (with a 5" criterion vs. 6" for counties north of 195) this afternoon and probably LI, but not quite sure for Trenton to NYC - they might want to see one more suite of model runs tonight to see if the changes "stick" from today (also depends on the Euro - if the Euro joins the moderate hit crowd it's more likel to see more expansive watches going up).

Still a chance this could largely miss, like the GFS shows, but that's becoming a very low likelihood at this time. All of the models show an explosively strengthening low nearing 950-960 mbar in our latitude, which is cat 1/2 level - if a track closer to us verifies, i.e., inside the benchmark (not the case for most models now), we could see blizzard warnings to up for LI/New England and maybe even the Jersey Shore. Don't think these would be issued before we have a much stronger consenus on a closer to the coast track - maybe if we see that by tomorrow morning.

GFS - track moved west some, but is still 100 miles east of the 40/70 N/W benchmark for big snowstorms; however, despite moving some west it's precip shield did not, but still a good sign for further corrections and more snow from this model with a known SE (tracks too far SE) bias. Shows 1-2" snow for most of I-95; not much NW of there and a bit more towards the shore/LI.

NAM - hammers I-95 corridor with 4-8" and up to 12" towards the coast/LI (with 12-16" on LI); if this verifies with a near record 950 mbar low and screaming winds, we'll see blizzard warnings go up for at least LI/New England and maybe the Jersey Shore.

Canadian (global) - good hit with 6-10" for all of NJ and eastern PA south of 78 - oddly precip decreases to the N of that line even for LI/CT/SE NY (to 4-6"). Headscratcher with the storm strengthening - would expect more to our NE. Surface low is also close to 100 miles east ot fhe benchmark, like the GFS, but shows much more snow.

Canadian (regional/mesoscale) - decent hit with 3-6" for the I-95 corridor and a bit more towards the Shore/less to the NW. Hammers SW NJ almost up to Philly and eastern LI with a 8-12".

UK - rumors are it came west and looks snowy, but no maps available for this very hard to find model output.

Euro - 1 pm.

Last edited:
Joe Bastardi, who I think is a hypester, at times, but is clearly a top met, says that he thinks the storm will deliver 6 to 12" along I 95 and points east (less to the NW) and a blizzard from Long Island into New England, where 1 to 2 foot could fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT