ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer - top candidates

Sean Sherman – I’m going to have to disagree with you.

1) While UConn has not been the program it once was, that’s supposedly why Miller was brought in. Since he started in the summer of 2016, they’ve started to make a comeback. In fact, they made their return to the NCAA tournament this year after a 2 year hiatus. He’s also recruited some ridiculous NJ talent in that time (and previously to Duke).

2) Why would a successful assistant coach at a great D1 program take a “low level head job” vs. waiting for the right opportunity in a Power 5 conference? A few people have stated that he’s lined up to be the next HC at UConn. If he’s good enough to be the UConn Head Coach and can recruit like hell – why wouldn’t Rutgers want him? They must know something you don't know.

3) He’s also worked at Syracuse, Duke, Sporting Kansas City and now UConn. I don’t think you can be a poor interviewer and get those gigs.

I've got no problem with your opinion, and I don't want to sound like I'm bashing the guy, but many of things I'm basing my opinion on came from other D1 coaches.

It's true UConn has not been the program they were, but they still made the NCAA's in 2015, then he got there and they missed for two years. They are basically the same as they were before he got there, no big change. He may be their coach in waiting, he may not be. I'd tell him that too if he's as good a recruiter as I hear. UConn isn't a top 25 team anymore, we should have higher goals. If he was the lead assistant (and he's not even that now) of the team when they were winning titles, it would mean more to me.

Guys at this level, want to be the head man. That's why you see many guys with a D2 school on their resume, such as Reid. Or they become the head coach where they are pretty quickly. Reid, as far as I know, probably has at least another 5 years in him, a losing season or two would remove that HCiW tag real quick.

Like I said, he could very well turn out great, I just think he's a bigger question mark then some of the other guys.

This bothers me just a tad...so far we're lucky with Pikes and, hopefully, will lock him up for a decade before he gets sniped by Yuke-On, but taking a chance with a 2nd one could be risky IMHO. Don't get me wrong, he COULD be a great hire, and the good news is that he didn't attend Yuke-On so maybe not that big of a deal if he's "next in line."
I don't think he has any great connection to UConn that they would be a concern once he had this job. Pike, I was worried about.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I've got no problem with your opinion, and I don't want to sound like I'm bashing the guy, but many of things I'm basing my opinion on came from other D1 coaches.

It's true UConn has not been the program they were, but they still made the NCAA's in 2015, then he got there and they missed for two years. They are basically the same as they were before he got there, no big change. He may be their coach in waiting, he may not be. I'd tell him that too if he's as good a recruiter as I hear. UConn isn't a top 25 team anymore, we should have higher goals. If he was the lead assistant (and he's not even that now) of the team when they were winning titles, it would mean more to me.

Guys at this level, want to be the head man. That's why you see many guys with a D2 school on their resume, such as Reid. Or they become the head coach where they are pretty quickly. Reid, as far as I know, probably has at least another 5 years in him, a losing season or two would remove that HCiW tag real quick.

Like I said, he could very well turn out great, I just think he's a bigger question mark then some of the other guys.

UConn is ranked number 24 in the RPI. At the end of the season they were #19- College Soccer News, #20 in the coaches poll, #20 in top drawer soccer and #14 in the RPI. They were ranked even higher than that (#8) at some points throughout the season. That all looks like top 25 to me.

I obviously think he could turn out great - but you seem to have something personal against him - or maybe those D1 coaches you spoke with do? Not sure. I have not heard the same about him, and I've spoke to several D1 coaches.

I think we'll know in a few days either way and just hope the program lands a great coach. We need it.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
UConn is ranked number 24 in the RPI. At the end of the season they were #19- College Soccer News, #20 in the coaches poll, #20 in top drawer soccer and #14 in the RPI. They were ranked even higher than that (#8) at some points throughout the season. That all looks like top 25 to me.

I obviously think he could turn out great - but you seem to have something personal against him - or maybe those D1 coaches you spoke with do? Not sure. I have not heard the same about him, and I've spoke to several D1 coaches.

I think we'll know in a few days either way and just hope the program lands a great coach. We need it.

Nothing personal for me at all - anything is possible with guys I talked to, won't discount that possibility.
I don't pay attention to them on a week to week basis and the only ranking I looked at was the United Soccer Coaches rankings, of which they did get as high as #15 at one point, so your points are fair, but mid season doesn't really mean anything. Still, my point of if they were a great team I'd have no problem trying a top assistant still stands. UConn isn't, and hasn't been a great team for a while, so an assistant who has never been a head coach just puts him lower on my wish list than others. I've said he could turn out great, he could not.
Looking forward to the decision and getting behind whomever it is!

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Just heard Franks has pulled out and job going to Miller.
He’s the one I was most intrigued by. We’ll see how it works out. I think it’s kind of a great situation for a new head coach to step into. Fairly easy to improve on last couple of seasons. Should be able to capitalize on fan and player excitement at the possibility of positive change. I think there will be instant recruiting buzz in NJ, in comparison to the previous several years when top NJ players have more or less not had RU on radar. If I were Miller, I’d give some strategic interviews to NJ com and Targum to let the fans, student body, and NJ public know what vision for program is. Appreciate the back and forth on this thread about Miller. I’m a fan, but I’m also a realist who will wait to see how things take shape.

Reactions: kdwaite
He’s the one I was most intrigued by. We’ll see how it works out. I think it’s kind of a great situation for a new head coach to step into. Fairly easy to improve on last couple of seasons. Should be able to capitalize on fan and player excitement at the possibility of positive change. I think there will be instant recruiting buzz in NJ, in comparison to the previous several years when top NJ players have more or less not had RU on radar. If I were Miller, I’d give some strategic interviews to NJ com and Targum to let the fans, student body, and NJ public know what vision for program is. Appreciate the back and forth on this thread about Miller. I’m a fan, but I’m also a realist who will wait to see how things take shape.
Good post. I’d love to know his vision for the program, style of play, etc.

My order in preference was Acquista, Franks, Miller. I would have preferred someone with head coaching experience and local ties over an assistant and this is why Miller was third.

There is a learning curve in any sport when you have never been a head coach (youth level doesn’t count in my mind). Miller will win here but after some rocky moments probably a 3 to 4 year project. He really wants the job and to prove he is ready for the move.

Franks would immediately win here. Actuallly he is 1a in preference. I am disappointed he pulled out.

Reactions: seansherm
So I wonder if money played a role in Franks pulling out. I am sure Hobbs will portray this as having got his top candidate which if fine, but if Miller, we are taking the same risks as we did with Ash just on a smaller scale. No HC experience.

Reactions: Leonard23
Im going to say ignore anything I say! Was told that all the talk of Miller as frontrunner was false and put out by his camp. Possible he doesn't even get an interview. Told we are bringing Masur in for discussion too. Consider it gossip is my best advice...

Reactions: Scarlet Craig
I understand that, but I was telling you Bucknell does not have any grants, at least for men’s soccer. There is need based financial aid only.

On the topic of the coaching search I heard today that David Brandt is being considered a leading candidate. Currently at Hope College, was amazingly successful at Messiah, supposedly fired from Navy because he didn’t make the final four in year 2 like he told the athletic department he would.
I would be shocked if money for the sport wasn't camouflaged in the aid.

Reactions: RUpop
Im going to say ignore anything I say! Was told that all the talk of Miller as frontrunner was false and put out by his camp. Possible he doesn't even get an interview. Told we are bringing Masur in for discussion too. Consider it gossip is my best advice...
Wtf?

Just heard Franks has pulled out and job going to Miller.

Did Franks withdraw his name?

Well I certainly appreciate you telling us about the inaccurate information. Does that mean we may not even have an accurate listing of who is being considered? The news about Masur and Miller maybe not getting an interview suggests not. I was a little surprised seeing a definitive listing of five candidates but assumed we had someone close to the process.

Well I certainly appreciate you telling us about the inaccurate information. Does that mean we may not even have an accurate listing of who is being considered? The news about Masur and Miller maybe not getting an interview suggests not. I was a little surprised seeing a definitive listing of five candidates but assumed we had someone close to the process.
I think there was some truth to the original five. Since it sounds like Franks did pull out, it's possible they opened up to their thought process to include Masur. Which is funny, because I actually had heard he had a clause in his contract that he couldn't come to Rutgers. Maybe the five were where they were going to focus and background is the reason it's possible Miller won't get an interview. At this point, now that I was told that, it wouldn't surprise me if Miller were to be announce tomorrow!

I think there was some truth to the original five. Since it sounds like Franks did pull out, it's possible they opened up to their thought process to include Masur. Which is funny, because I actually had heard he had a clause in his contract that he couldn't come to Rutgers. Maybe the five were where they were going to focus and background is the reason it's possible Miller won't get an interview. At this point, now that I was told that, it wouldn't surprise me if Miller were to be announce tomorrow!

@seansherm I believe you are right, the original 5 you originally mentioned did interview last week and someone else ( possibly Masur after not being included in original mix?) was brought in last minute yesterday. I heard Miller, Acquista and McElderry all DID interview - each candidate was there for a day and did well. Not sure anyone was ever the "top pick". Possible that was all just people talking. But anyone's game at the point. Also heard decision will be this week.....

You guys that seem to be in the know any idea who and if Hobbs is leaning on anyone with a soccer background in this interview/selection process?

Hope it's not Bill Walsh or Barry Alverez. Must get this one right.

I guess my earlier thought about us making a run at the Akron coach was just wishful thinking.

Side note-3 Big 10 teams in college cup semifinals. Maryland, MSU, Indiana.

Of the coaches still in the college cup I'd put these two on our list:

Cale Wasserman - Michigan State Asst Coach with head coaching experience.

Leo Chappel - Akron Asst. Coach.

This was intriguing. The article says that he has no New Jersey connection but don't the Red Bulls play in NJ?

IIRC from my days working at Hofstra out on LI, Adelphi is not a D1 school, but still, coaching is coaching. If he can recruit and coach, it sounds like a promising pick.

The real question is how well is he known among high school soccer players in the greater NJ metro area.

Thanks.

I'm not very familiar with any big donors to Rutgers Soccer, but are there
any and do they have any influence on the choice?

Well Hobbs is sitting behind the Rutgers bench for the embarrassing basketball performance today at Fordham.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT