ADVERTISEMENT

Somebody Tell Ash to Offer Bridgewater KICKER NOW-Told Hes "Reconsidering"

Two things factually wrong with your scenario. There are no partial scholarships in football (allowable in other sports). And two, Big 10 rules guarantee scholarship for 4 years and can't be reduced (as long as you are in good academic standing and follow team rules).
But why couldn't a kid walk on and then get a scholarship after his freshman year. Nothing in the rule book against that as far as I can tell.

But why couldn't a kid walk on and then get a scholarship after his freshman year. Nothing in the rule book against that as far as I can tell.
There is nothing prohibiting giving s scholarship to a walk on. I also don't know if such scholarship becomes guaranteed for balance of eligibility.

Two things factually wrong with your scenario. There are no partial scholarships in football (allowable in other sports). And two, Big 10 rules guarantee scholarship for 4 years and can't be reduced (as long as you are in good academic standing and follow team rules).

HUH? So you're telling me you CAN'T give a scholarship to a 3rd or 4th year walk-on? I find that very hard to believe.

There is nothing prohibiting giving s scholarship to a walk on. I also don't know if such scholarship becomes guaranteed for balance of eligibility.

So that's what the kid would be doing. He comes in as a walk-on THEN is rewarded a scholarship after his 1st season. You just said it has to be "guaranteed for 4 years."

Reactions: Block R
HUH? So you're telling me you CAN'T give a scholarship to a 3rd or 4th year walk-on? I find that very hard to believe.
Yes you can. You just can't take one away or reduce per Big 10 rules. The rest of NCAA allows this practice. For example girl from my daughters high school went to a top D1 softball school. She had a 25% scholly first 2 years and 0% last 2 years. This is not allowed in Big 10.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Yes you can. You just can't take one away or reduce per Big 10 rules. The rest of NCAA allows this practice. For example girl from my daughters high school went to a top D1 softball school. She had a 25% scholly first 2 years and 0% last 2 years. This is not allowed in Big 10.
Are you sure that is true? I thought it was only for sports that give out full rides. FB and BB.

Reactions: NorthNJRUFan
Believe Rubaseball meant you can't give out partial schollies like they do in baseball. Baseball teams will give 3 players 1/3 each.

In football, 1 scholly can only go to 1 player. Can be awarded any year but can't be revoked unless there are classroom or off the field issues.

He did not have the Wisconsin at the time, he was looking for a place holder. It happens, not an excuse.

Forget it. People don't want to listen nor do they understand. Again, if the disaster on the field was the reason for kids leaving, well, why haven't MORE of them left and why did it just happen to be the 2 kids everybody knew were likely to leave from the get-go?

This kicker and his dad sat in front of us at the Penn St game. While his dad is pretty big, the kid appears very small, maybe 5' 8" or 9" about 160-170. Probably doesn't matter much for a kicker anyway. That said his Hudl tape is pretty good. Not great but good. Kohl's kicking service/rankings has him ranked 18 in the country, but I think they only rank the kids who show up to their camps and pay their way in. Probably an upgrade over Bonagura, not sure about punting, only saw his kicking hudl tape. We need a kicker And punter, desperately. Kicker more.

Kohl's kicking service? They do recruiting besides great department stores? Ironically I'm online to sell some Kohls cash-anyone plan to shop there that wants to purchase my "Kohls cash" at a 10-15% discount ~$48 for $60. Willing to accompany you within my local Hillsborough-or maybe South Plainfield (Hadley near RU) store?

BTW, someone here said their son s taught by Justin. That would be the real deal? Then though the recruit or Dad could lie.

Yes, but RU is asking him to come in as a preferred walk on and the scholly him in years 2-4. Also he is a smart kid who will get academic money so he would even pay for a full year here. I know that a lot of you will think that this is RU's fault if he does not come but, my source says that he is getting some not great advice regarding this. Take it for what is worth but I am very confident that my source knows what he is talking about.

..The equivalent of what I'm hearing. The bottom line I hear that he's a great kicker that often reaches the end zone-AND is capable of 50 yard field goals,. He wants to play for RU. OFFER THE FULL RIDE NOW AND GET A VERBAL-its a position in need!

..The equivalent of what I'm hearing. The bottom line I hear that he's a great kicker that often reaches the end zone-AND is capable of 50 yard field goals,. He wants to play for RU. OFFER THE FULL RIDE NOW AND GET A VERBAL-its a position in need!

Serious question: are you his gf? Parent? Sibling? Cousin? I don't mean this in a jerky way, at all, but it seems like there's more to your relationship with him than just "I know some cheerleaders..."

"the kid appears very small, maybe 5' 8" or 9" about 160-170." Heck, that means he would tower over Ito, who might be in our Hall of Fame.
Considering our offense this year, we really need a strong punter instead.

Kohl's kicking service? They do recruiting besides great department stores? Ironically I'm online to sell some Kohls cash-anyone plan to shop there that wants to purchase my "Kohls cash" at a 10-15% discount ~$48 for $60. Willing to accompany you within my local Hillsborough-or maybe South Plainfield (Hadley near RU) store?
Is there an additional discount for having you accompany the buyer? Should be another 15-20% off. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grimace:

(Just having a little Sunday evening fun-don't take it personally--hell, I don't even know you-you seem like a great fan).

Is there an additional discount for having you accompany the buyer? Should be another 15-20% off. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grimace:

(Just having a little Sunday evening fun-don't take it personally--hell, I don't even know you-you seem like a great fan).

LMAO. Though they have no real sense of humor I should tell that to my one mandatory social worker who works on my "forced speech". I tell her that I do so when p*ssed off. Nowdays with a 2-10 season (not including anything else) that's the norm! BTW just passed my social security psych exam (in and out of the psych office in 15 minutes). I'm the only board member proven sane!

I trust Ash on this read.

If the kid's best offer is Army, then a walk-on offer is appropriate.

Programs rarely offer a kicker unless he's an instant starter, and frankly we have too many glaring issues across the field to risk a scholarship.

But there's no way after this season Ash is not expressly focused on getting us the best kicking options. Maybe he's trying to snag a top guy, like someone mentioned.

OR go the juco route. Special teams was such an incredible issue that getting a top guy from junior college ranks could be an instant fix for next season - maybe even better than a promising freshman recruit, who may take a year or two.

But any way you slice it, Rutgers is actually an attractive option for a kicker because we truly need one and you can't possibly be worse than the last guy. So why settle..?

Reactions: AshSaturday
Serious question: are you his gf? Parent? Sibling? Cousin? I don't mean this in a jerky way, at all, but it seems like there's more to your relationship with him than just "I know some cheerleaders..."

No relation other than board poster season ticketholder/donor. I'm living on the border of Bridgewater and, besides shop and church, frequent place(s) local high schoolers et al spend time. Like I said 6-8 weeks or so ago I saw a few Bridgewater cheerleaders (I did not know them-see my original post and accompanying grief I took for THAT) at Stop N Shop and talked with them not knowing about him at all. Yesterday I ran into a player (had t-shirt on) and wanted both an update on the #8 Bridgewater football team(forgot to check out results past two games-too much time posting). I'd rather not reveal the place I talked with the player as I don't want to by chance have that player called out if he gave bad info.

As stated did attend High School in Bridgewater (graduated with our ex-AD's daughter and son of Pharmacy School namesake Ernst Mario's son. Before CEO at Astra Ernst worked with my childhood friend's (who graduated with me at Bristol Myers/ Squibb.

As far as I know our last Bridgewater player on roster graduated the year before me in 1980 (on this board Shields' class). All three of us attended Cook.

My "interest" was you guys on this board b*tching (and perhaps rightfully so) that (after the Minnesota game) a good kicker would have won it for us. I have heard Davidowicz reaches the end zone on kickoffs consistently and makes 50 FGs in practice. Sounds like someone I want on R team. Someone here just posted one service ranked him the #18 kicker in the country-RU doesn't have too many players ranked #18 or above.

This is the first I have heard of an Army offer. I had heard Harvard but that's old info my buddies had heard in September. The reason Rutgers vs Harvard was Harvard doesn't offer athletic schollies (Ivys don't per se) and his family is fairly well to do so supposedly he can't get a great "aid package" from Harvard.

Last edited:

BTW, someone here said their son s taught by Justin. That would be the real deal? Then though the recruit or Dad could lie.

If you don't know about Kohls and kicking then you know nothing how recruiting for kicker, punter and long snappers work. You seem like a good fan, but you are pretty clueless about scholarships and recruiting. Kid up the street from me was a 4 year D1 kicker all on schollie, another from our small town is on schollie at UConn as a long snapper. These kids go to Kohls camps from day 1.

http://kohlskicking.com/recruiting/year-rankings

Reactions: PaKnight
If you don't know about Kohls and kicking then you know nothing how recruiting for kicker, punter and long snappers work. You seem like a good fan, but you are pretty clueless about scholarships and recruiting. Kid up the street from me was a 4 year D1 kicker all on schollie, another from our small town is on schollie at UConn as a long snapper. These kids go to Kohls camps from day 1.

http://kohlskicking.com/recruiting/year-rankings

I'm NOT pretending to be an expert-I'm just reporting what I was told. I'm not saying to offer or not-saying if he's what we're looking for beware-because (unlike in October) I'm hearing he's interested I hearing from other schools (though he's supposedly still a Rutgers lean (vs. a quiet verbal as in "done deal" that I heard 6-8 weeks ago.

"Recruiting experts" probably shouldn't be posting on this board.

BTW there are LOTS of recruiting services and camps-even per position. Weren't ITO and maybe San San Te disciples of another camp/else? This is the first times I've heard of Kohl's in the non-department sense (and the former Senator but I'm pretty sure his family owns Kohl's stores).

Recruiting services, as other point out here, are often biased. When I didn't worry whether I'd have enough food for the month I used to subscribe to several publications. I liked one out of Sanatoga PA but then people claimed they were biased towards Penn State as they are in Penn State's backyard (maybe more like PSU, at that time, was in their "backyard").

Last edited:
I trust Ash on this read.

If the kid's best offer is Army, then a walk-on offer is appropriate.

Programs rarely offer a kicker unless he's an instant starter, and frankly we have too many glaring issues across the field to risk a scholarship.

But there's no way after this season Ash is not expressly focused on getting us the best kicking options. Maybe he's trying to snag a top guy, like someone mentioned.

OR go the juco route. Special teams was such an incredible issue that getting a top guy from junior college ranks could be an instant fix for next season - maybe even better than a promising freshman recruit, who may take a year or two.

But any way you slice it, Rutgers is actually an attractive option for a kicker because we truly need one and you can't possibly be worse than the last guy. So why settle..?

Hi 4Life-thanks for the love unlike the haters. Again, though, I'm not "reading" anything (though maybe "opening up his recruitment isn't the same thing as listening to others' offers).
I'm only repeating (right or wrong) what the cheerleaders (said they know him well told me unsolicited in October) or a fellow player told me Saturday night. Maybe they are right maybe wrong-however these are kids who see the recruit (a fellow student) probably daily (vs Ash and company).

BTW for the haters, I have R benefit in mind. When I talked with these people both times I mentioned both times that I'm online with a lot of Rutgers fans/messageboard on the internet and we're all looking forward to the possibility of Davidowicz playing for Rutgers". Then the hate...

We were his place holder school until he got something better.

THAT's what I'm concerned about here. Bridgewater people are oft snobby and for the most part can afford to send kids to a school of their choice-even big Rutgers related people. Also many faculty types live in Bridgewater and know all too much about the school and sports program-from their experiences.

From just my graduating class
1) Ex Ad Fred Gruninger-daughter (hoops)-Lafayette and younger son Virginia
2) Ernst Mario (Pharmacy namesake)-Stanford
3) My childhood friend (father big Pharma alum-was ahead of Mario at Bristol Myers/Squibb-Penn State

I'm glad you found you own unsubstantiated rumor "important" enough to bump up

Many schools do not scholarship hs kickers. They get them on campus and have them compete and offer one once they have earned it.

We are not "many schools." We are desperate, the need is obvious, and we can do this AFTER we have at least one competent kicker on board.

1 was never coming here. He was waiting, all along, for his Wisconsin offer. The other kid, well, wants to be with his gf. We'll see how well that works out for him.

I've seen too many people in "real" life make major life decisions for this reason, and they backfire at a pretty heavy clip. My guess is she finds someone better by Thanksgiving.

The Army offer has been there for awhile. Boro, the person I am speaking with feels like RU is doing the right thing and that the kid is getting not great advice. my source is concerned that JD will over play his hand and RU will simply recruit and sign the kid from St. Joe's who they also like. I have also heard that depending on transfers and things JD may wind up get a full ride, but at the time the scholarship numbers looked very tight, but by February they may loosen up some. No, I will not say my source but, I think it may be a little better than 3 cheerleaders and a player.

Reactions: NorthNJRUFan
The Army offer has been there for awhile. Boro, the person I am speaking with feels like RU is doing the right thing and that the kid is getting not great advice. my source is concerned that JD will over play his hand and RU will simply recruit and sign the kid from St. Joe's who they also like. I have also heard that depending on transfers and things JD may wind up get a full ride, but at the time the scholarship numbers looked very tight, but by February they may loosen up some. No, I will not say my source but, I think it may be a little better than 3 cheerleaders and a player.
Didn't you say the St. Joe's kid is 2018? That still leaves us stuck for next year if JD doesn't come.

EDIT: Also, how likely is it that the kid from St. Joe's signs with us and another school doesn't pluck him away?

yes, excatly. I have heard that alot of programs are concerned that kickers sometime struggle in college and it is very hard to scholarship a kicker and or punter every year so most programs tend to be selective in the process remember LSU yanked their scholarship from a kicker just this year.

Can you use Kohl's cash to pay for someone to attend Kohl's camp. Asking for a friend.

Only saw him in person once this year. Boomed his kick offs but was 1 of 2 on easy field goal in perfect conditions. No kicker is a lock for a scholarship offer.

I've seen too many people in "real" life make major life decisions for this reason, and they backfire at a pretty heavy clip. My guess is she finds someone better by Thanksgiving.

Oh I'm sure she's dating a LB by now...

So is the Bridgewater kid no longer an option for RU or what? If he isn't, what are we doing for a kicker and punter next year?

Given the level of talent deficit throughout the program at many positions, it doesn't seem particularly pressing to start using those scholarships on kickers, no matter how bad that position is. Frankly, if the position has bad talent, it should be the easiest to upgrade.

Actually there is something in the NCAA rule book that prohibits this. Any recruited athlete - which he fits the definition of - may not receive a scholarship after walking on until his 3rd year at an institution.

As others have posted, there are no partials in football. So, essentially this kid has a preferred walk-on offer. If he becomes RU's kicker, he will be eligible to receive a yearly scholarship as a rsSO, rsJR & rsSR.

Reactions: redking
Actually there is something in the NCAA rule book that prohibits this. Any recruited athlete - which he fits the definition of - may not receive a scholarship after walking on until his 3rd year at an institution.
Interesting. All these years following recruiting and I don't think I've ever seen that mentioned here or elsewhere. Would summer classes qualify as year 1?

Reactions: drewbagel423
Given the level of talent deficit throughout the program at many positions, it doesn't seem particularly pressing to start using those scholarships on kickers, no matter how bad that position is. Frankly, if the position has bad talent, it should be the easiest to upgrade.
And yet how many years have we been struggling to find a reliable one?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT