ADVERTISEMENT

Tailgating on Sunday

Which makes me think... is tailgating outside of college basketball arenas a "thing" anywhere in the country? Any programs do this on the regular that anyone knows of? Just curious.

Anyone doing it?

I usually cheap out and park for free, but w 70 degree temps and a tourney bid on the line, I’m biting the $15 parking bullet and setting up shop

Hope to see some others joining in the festivities
Well apparently the Rutgers Club is sold out unless @zappaa is willing to put me and my friend on his guest list (hint hint); so I guess we'll be doing just that the green lot.

Which makes me think... is tailgating outside of college basketball arenas a "thing" anywhere in the country? Any programs do this on the regular that anyone knows of? Just curious.
Warner climates tend to do it more. It’s pretty big at FSU - especially for weekend games in conference.

Hoping it can gain some traction here - maybe Sunday can be the start of something new in that regard

Warner climates tend to do it more. It’s pretty big at FSU - especially for weekend games in conference.

Hoping it can gain some traction here - maybe Sunday can be the start of something new in that regard
Interesting did not know that, makes sense and agreed.

My first game this year. How much time do you need to clear the covid validation stuff? Say I want to be in seats 11:40. What time to get in outside line? (Thanks)

My first game this year. How much time do you need to clear the covid validation stuff? Say I want to be in seats 11:40. What time to get in outside line? (Thanks)
If arriving via Rt 18 North from New Brunswick allow an extra 15 minutes for traffic. I usually arrive via Hoes Lane/Rt 18 South but last Saturday we went to New Brunswick to eat before the game. I was shocked at the traffic. Rt a8 stopped dead right around River Road

Reactions: RUBigFrank
If arriving via Rt 18 North from New Brunswick allow an extra 15 minutes for traffic. I usually arrive via Hoes Lane/Rt 18 South but last Saturday we went to New Brunswick to eat before the game. I was shocked at the traffic. Rt a8 stopped dead right around River Road
Yeah. I come in via Hoes myself. More wondering how long to get thru the covid proof line. Thanks Lou.

channel 7 news says heavy rain Sunday day? So much for tailgating

Is tailgating allowed in the lot? A grill?
That’s a good question. I remember a couple of real nice days on the Friday after Thanksgiving and saw some people setting up on the perimeter of the lots. I think they were families of local guys on the other teams. But for a sold out game when they are cramming people in, a grill set up may be tough.

It’s Senior Day. Get your asses in the seats before 11:40.
Sorry. Worry about your own ass. Why don't you just answer the question I've now asked 3 times. How long should I expect to get thru the covid vax proof line. Then perhaps I can plan when my butt meets plastic.

Reactions: Plum Street
Sorry. Worry about your own ass. Why don't you just answer the question I've now asked 3 times. How long should I expect to get thru the covid vax proof line. Then perhaps I can plan when my butt meets plastic.
It’s not a big deal. Go right through. The only time there was a problem there was like 1 guy checking at one of the entrances. You’re welcome.

It’s not a big deal. Go right through. The only time there was a problem there was like 1 guy checking at one of the entrances. You’re welcome.
You don't have to get a wrist band? You show your proof at the same time as your Tix?
Yes.. Thank You!

There’s a low chance of a very light shower or two on Sunday morning (nuisance level rain) and it’s supposed to be quite warm with temps in the 50s by 9 am and a high near 70F. Our group has been debating a round of disc golf or tailgating or just hitting a diner beforehand.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
You don't have to get a wrist band? You show your proof at the same time as your Tix?
Yes.. Thank You!
No wrist band. You queue outside and they hustle you through “checking” your vaccination proof and ID, barely if at all, first and then you converge toward the entrance doors where the ticket readers are. Ticket scanning is more responsible for any delays than vaccination confirmation. The entrance closest to the APC will probably have less people and will be quicker to get in the building.

No wrist band. You queue outside and they hustle you through “checking” your vaccination proof and ID, barely if at all, first and then you converge toward the entrance doors where the ticket readers are. Ticket scanning is more responsible for any delays than vaccination confirmation. The entrance closest to the APC will probably have less people and will be quicker to get in the building.
Nice insight. Again, Thanks!

I was thinking like 20.+ Mins. That certainly helps me get my ass in sooner lol.
If you show up early, you will fly through. People have problems when they get in line 10-15 mins before. I normally show up 30 mins early and I’m in my seat with 20 mins till tip. I will probably go even earlier to avoid problems.

If you show up early, you will fly through. People have problems when they get in line 10-15 mins before. I normally show up 30 mins early and I’m in my seat with 20 mins till tip. I will probably go even earlier to avoid problems.
This. It’s basically like rush hour where if you leave at 7:05 instead of 7:00, your trip takes 3 times as long.

11:20 should have you to your seats by 11:30 if you hustle. 11:30, you might get to your seats 11:45-11:50.

When the S16/E8 was in Philly in 2001…we showed up at the games on Thursday night and went to grab beers, and realized they don’t sell alcohol at NCAA sponsored events. So, figured on Saturday, we’d make a day of it and tailgate before the game (something like a 5pm tip).

We pulled into the Wells Fargo lot at about 10am, and it was like the scene in National Lampoon’s Vacation when they pull into Wally World. We were the only car in the lot. I think the second car arrived around 1pm. We decided that tailgating must not be a thing for NCAA tournament games.

When the S16/E8 was in Philly in 2001…we showed up at the games on Thursday night and went to grab beers, and realized they don’t sell alcohol at NCAA sponsored events. So, figured on Saturday, we’d make a day of it and tailgate before the game (something like a 5pm tip).

We pulled into the Wells Fargo lot at about 10am, and it was like the scene in National Lampoon’s Vacation when they pull into Wally World. We were the only car in the lot. I think the second car arrived around 1pm. We decided that tailgating must not be a thing for NCAA tournament games.
I had the opposite happen at the 2007 eastern regional final at the izod center

Georgetown and UNC fans were going full throttle 4/5 hours before the game

Either way, as long as it’s not moonsooning I’ll be there by 930 am Sunday with my grill and cooler full of beers ready to rock

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT