ADVERTISEMENT

The Edey Approach

You glossed over the fact they lost to a 16 seed, a 15 seed, and a 13 seed the last 3 years in the tourney. Pressure is on them for sure this year. Plus, they had Ivey (a lottery pick) and Trevion Williams so let’s not make them sound like a bunch of talentless, underdog teams playing at Purdue. I think this year they’ll deliver the goods and advance further in March, but the pressure is on to deliver when you have the back-to-back POY (assuming Edey wins again) and you’re ranked somewhere in the top 4 for virtually the whole season with a great record. If they’re a dud in March AGAIN, that is a reflection on the program and the coach.
Neither Ivey nor Williams were top 50 kids in their class. Again, their production exceeded their perceived talent out of high school. Either Coach Painter saw value in them that most others didn't or developed them into better players than most projected. Just because Ivey turned himself into a lottery pick doesn't mean he was viewed that way coming out of high school.

Yes, this year is another opportunity and I hope for the best. But even if the worst happens and we lose in the first round again (which obviously is very unlikely) I know Painter still has my full support and the full support of most other Purdue fans I know. If fans of other programs think less of Purdue, so be it. Purdue fans control which narratives govern their program. Not anyone else. Painter has coached at Purdue for the better part of 20 years, not just the last 3. He's made it to the 2nd weekend 6 times in our last 12 tournaments. Even the loss to the 15 seed was in the Sweet Sixteen. And he was a miracle scramble play away from the Final Four, and perhaps a national championship as well, in 2019. So even if we were to end the season on a bad note again, I don't think 95+% of Purdue fans entertain any notion of Painter being on the hot seat.

My personal opinion is that if you keep getting to the 2nd weekend on a consistent basis, you'll find your way there eventually. I remember when coaches like Bo Ryan and Jay Wright were labeled as coaches that couldn't get it done in March and they both found their way. I also could name maybe a dozen coaches who have been to Final Four who I wouldn't let anywhere near a major head coaching position. And last year's Final Four was about as random a group as I can remember where none of the 1 seeds (or any top 3 seeds I believe) got there. Being a good team is an essential part of the equation, but it doesn't guarantee anything.

besides Smith and Loyer being better, you forgot to mention Lance Jones, he's been a large difference maker for us this year
Reread my post. I specifically mention that Mag will need to be in Lance Jones’ shorts all night. That was my mention of Jones, as I know he’s been a difference maker for the Boilers this year. Mag is 6-7 and is our best perimeter defender.

Reactions: RAC93 and Scangg
Neither Ivey nor Williams were top 50 kids in their class. Again, their production exceeded their perceived talent out of high school. Either Coach Painter saw value in them that most others didn't or developed them into better players than most projected. Just because Ivey turned himself into a lottery pick doesn't mean he was viewed that way coming out of high school.

Yes, this year is another opportunity and I hope for the best. But even if the worst happens and we lose in the first round again (which obviously is very unlikely) I know Painter still has my full support and the full support of most other Purdue fans I know. If fans of other programs think less of Purdue, so be it. Purdue fans control which narratives govern their program. Not anyone else. Painter has coached at Purdue for the better part of 20 years, not just the last 3. He's made it to the 2nd weekend 6 times in our last 12 tournaments. Even the loss to the 15 seed was in the Sweet Sixteen. And he was a miracle scramble play away from the Final Four, and perhaps a national championship as well, in 2019. So even if we were to end the season on a bad note again, I don't think 95+% of Purdue fans entertain any notion of Painter being on the hot seat.

My personal opinion is that if you keep getting to the 2nd weekend on a consistent basis, you'll find your way there eventually. I remember when coaches like Bo Ryan and Jay Wright were labeled as coaches that couldn't get it done in March and they both found their way. I also could name maybe a dozen coaches who have been to Final Four who I wouldn't let anywhere near a major head coaching position. And last year's Final Four was about as random a group as I can remember where none of the 1 seeds (or any top 3 seeds I believe) got there. Being a good team is an essential part of the equation, but it doesn't guarantee anything.
Most reasonable CBB fans would kill for Purdue’s record of achievement over the past 15 years, regardless of the rather unfortunate upset losses during the last three NCAA tournaments.

Plus Matt Painter is a really good guy and is easy to root for, unlike some other coaches.

It takes a really exceptional team to win six-straight games and win an NCAA tournament, but losing in the first round can happen to anyone — there’s so much variance in March.

To me, the most impressive feat in modern CBB was Bill Self’s 14-straight Big 12 regular-season championships, and Painter’s regular season success tells me a lot more than a few tournament flubs

Feel the same way about Rutgers and Pikiell. Good coach who is building something there with a solid foundation. Not a big whiner or drama queen like several other Big Ten coaches.
I find Izzo to me personally pretty unlikeable, a whiner, annoying, can be a drama queen and seems really tough on players but I would take Izzo all day every day over Painter and Pike. Painter is clearly not on a hot seat and he’s a really good coach, no doubt. But if Purdue does not deliver March results this year and has another early exit, it’s very fair for many to question what Painter is doing with his teams or NOT DOING WITH HIS TEAMS that leads to them having early exits in March. Personally I think this is the year they advance, but if they don’t it’s very fair for these questions to come up.

One thing I do know is that Purdue will always have at least one 7' center who will be difficult to defend.

• Haha
Reactions: TC4THREE
I find Izzo to me personally pretty unlikeable, a whiner, annoying, can be a drama queen and seems really tough on players but I would take Izzo all day every day over Painter and Pike. Painter is clearly not on a hot seat and he’s a really good coach, no doubt. But if Purdue does not deliver March results this year and has another early exit, it’s very fair for many to question what Painter is doing with his teams or NOT DOING WITH HIS TEAMS that leads to them having early exits in March. Personally I think this is the year they advance, but if they don’t it’s very fair for these questions to come up.
Not only do I find Izzo unlikable, I think he's overrated. But I'm not one to worship at the altar of Final Fours or even the NCAA Tournament. To me, either you win it all or you are one of the other 67. I don't care if you lose the first weekend or the last weekend. If you lose, you lose. No other sport celebrates 3rd or 4th place like college basketball fans have been fooled into doing. Izzo won one tournament a long time ago. All his other Final Fours were losses. More than that, the whole Appling/Payne thing was a huge black mark in my book on how he runs his program. They were also doing NIL before NIL was a thing.

Not only do I find Izzo unlikable, I think he's overrated. But I'm not one to worship at the altar of Final Fours or even the NCAA Tournament. To me, either you win it all or you are one of the other 67. I don't care if you lose the first weekend or the last weekend. If you lose, you lose. No other sport celebrates 3rd or 4th place like college basketball fans have been fooled into doing. Izzo won one tournament a long time ago. All his other Final Fours were losses. More than that, the whole Appling/Payne thing was a huge black mark in my book on how he runs his program. They were also doing NIL before NIL was a thing.
Fair enough, agree to disagree, dude has been to 8 final fours, 2 championship game appearances, 1 title. If we are going to sit here and say any program would take the success of Painter for their program in a heartbeat (agree they would), but let’s not kid ourselves, it equally applies or even more applies that any program would take the success of Izzo in a heartbeat.

I have had my disagreements with you over the years talking Rutgers/ Purdue but on Painter , I agree he is incredible as a coach. Just listen to 5 minutes of his press conference and he will tell you more about all the other things that go on in a game , matchups , what they are trying to do , how the other team tried to take it away. Besides Pike obviously he is my favorite coach in the country not just the BIG 10 . He is a tremendous teacher , runs a spectacular offense , can draw up an out of bounds play , gets his teams to get up and play on the road and demands they play defense. He has been taking teams best shots the last 3-4 years and normally comes out the winner.
Purdue’s freshman guards got exposed and couldn’t handle the moment last year. Scrappy tough guards give his team problems and why Rutgers has always given Purdue problems . It appears his guards have grown up as sophomores and with the portal and Lance Jones , Purdue ‘s backcourt is solid. Edey is normally unstoppable but Rutgers normally does a good job on him . The front court has been a weakness and especially so on the big time games. Willis , and Furst and Eddy’s backup , Kaufman Redd will be pushed and although they seem to have improved , they are scaring anyone. They have as good a chance as anyone to take home the prize at the end of the year. For Painter’s sake , I hope they win it all. He is one of the good smart guys in coaching

Reactions: TC4THREE
Fair enough, agree to disagree, dude has been to 8 final fours, 2 championship game appearances, 1 title. If we are going to sit here and say any program would take the success of Painter for their program in a heartbeat (agree they would), but let’s not kid ourselves, it equally applies or even more applies that any program would take the success of Izzo in a heartbeat.
Everyone values different things differently. Winning is towards the top of my list but it isn't everything.

Reactions: RAC93
Everyone values different things differently. Winning is towards the top of my list but it isn't everything.
As a long suffering and starved RU fan with rare NCAA appearances in my lifetime, winning is just about everything at this point. I respect your thoughts though, wish RU had done enough winning through the years that it was not everything.

Edey sticks his hip out on screens at the top of the arc. The call Cliff for these seemingly every game. Our plan should be everyone flop off Edey’s hip on every screen to get him into foul trouble

OT: Along those lines, Cliff has zero feel for how and when to set that screen. Every game he slides into guys as they scrape past and every game he gets called for it. And every game he throws his arms up in disbelief. It's like he's never watched Rutgers game film before.

Dude, stop moving before the guy gets there!! If the screen isn't effective, just try again. BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, stop picking up cheap fouls 20 feet from the basket! Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT