ADVERTISEMENT

The Hurley Mistake

This is like saying, if only the Browns had hired Belichek, they would have been the Patriots for the last 2 decades.

Mic drop.

Home Run Baseball GIF by MLB

I mean you really have to be spinning up a grandiose set of horse blinders to believe Pike is a better coach than Hurley.

Saying Pike has been a great coach is like saying you moved from the emergency room to an in-patient hospital room. Of course we're better - we used to be in the abyss.

Pike has yet to prove he can win clutch games at the end of seasons consistently, even in a mediocre conference like the B1G, and that he isn't afraid of actually scheduling a solid out of conference slate of games.
I think the difference between the two coaches is on how fast they got high quality recruits
Hurley got them faster, and better players make less mistakes and close out games on the court better

But as of now we have two and possibly three 5 star players and a 4 star coming aboard
Those type of players make the coach look good They win more games because they are more talented and that makes the coach look good because they get what the coach wants done on the court

Last edited:
If it weren’t Rutgers, it would be hard to believe a program could come close to hiring national champion coaches twice, and end up empty handed.

Yes the program is in ok shape now.

But to have turned away a proven college coach oozing big time potential and with the uniquely good fit being basketball royal family in your state was a mistake we will have to live down for a long time.

Counting on Pike to eventually make it as close to water under the bridge as possible,
Your premise is flawed as others have told you, we did not turn him away

With your reasoning RUfootball fans could say we turned Franklin away when he was available and we went after him a bit

That is not how it goes

I think the difference between the two coaches is on how fast they got high quality recruits
Hurley got them faster, and better players make less mistakes and close out games on the court better

But as of now we have two and possibly three 5 star players and a 4 star coming aboard
Those type of players make the coach look good. They win more games because they are more talented and that makes the coach look good because they get what the coach wants done on the court
Joe Torre became a HoF manager when he had HoF players.

Last edited:
Your premise is flawed as others have told you, we did not turn him away

With your reasoning RUfootball fans could say we turned Franklin away when he was available and we went after him a bit

That is not how it goes
Uh yes that would be a mistake, if Franklin was willing to take the job. I don’t recall that search.

This is like saying, if only the Browns had hired Belichek, they would have been the Patriots for the last 2 decades.

Mic drop.
Oof what a bad analogy (even keeping aside Belicheck road Brady’s coattails)

Oof what a bad analogy (even keeping aside Belicheck road Brady’s coattails)
Why is that a bad analogy, show your work. Seems pretty apt to me. Different time, different environment, different results

Why is that a bad analogy, show your work. Seems pretty apt to me. Different time, different environment, different results
Well that burden is on you but since it’s so obvious I don’t mind. If Belicheck AND Brady were on the browns, they’d have had the same success. In CBB, coaches have a big impact on what players come.

Uh yes that would be a mistake, if Franklin was willing to take the job. I don’t recall that search.
We approached him and I don't know how far it went, maybe nothing more than one conversation
We know this happened because he later told recruits that he could have had the RU job, that PU was better and he took that instead

Again, to interview and discuss possible compensation might be done with several candidates and should not be considered turning away if two sides don't agree

Some interview Just to see what they could have gotten and not serious about it

Reactions: RUsojo
I always found it pathetic when one of my buddies lamented the girl who got away even though he was seemingly happy with his wife and family. It appears a portion of our fan base is no different.
That’s lame. Guys talk about sports not old gfs.

Reactions: Plum Street
Danny Hurley got the most out of his guys at the most important time.

He did a great job.
The thing that impressed me the most was when their starting center went out, the second string guy played really well also, and they didn't lose much on the court

With RU, we could not say the same

Reactions: scottsdaleal
Unfortunately he was. But we’ve found success so that’s great. Credit to Hobbs for how he managed the basketball program.
One of the issues was the length of the contract
With our luck, if he did terribly and we wanted to cut ties with him we would be on the hook for more money than it seemed to be worth

One of the issues was the length of the contract
With our luck, if he did terribly and we wanted to cut ties with him we would be on the hook for more money than it seemed to be worth
Yes. That’s what’s been reported and k thought there was consensus on this. Richie also confirmed Hurley was interested. Why people are refuting this @fluoxetine i do not know. Maybe too much Prozac is clouding judgement lol.

But I will say, if the years were the hold up, than Hobbs actual behavior in terms of Hobbs, is pretty contradictory and strange. So I would actually at least hear out an argument that a lot of years wasn’t the hold up but every media outlet mentioned length of contract as a potential issue.

Well that burden is on you but since it’s so obvious I don’t mind. If Belicheck AND Brady were on the browns, they’d have had the same success. In CBB, coaches have a big impact on what players come.
Brady became what he did in large part because of Belichek. He was a talent who was coached up, far from a can't miss prospect.

And UConn is and especially then was a much more attractive spot for players than Rutgers.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Brady became what he did in large part because of Belichek. He was a talent who was coached up, far from a can't miss prospect.

And UConn is and especially then was a much more attractive spot for players than Rutgers.
No he didn’t. Bill is a defensive coach.

Bill has made the playoffs twice in the 9 years he's been a hc without Tom as his qb. He has one playoff win without Tom.

Brady kept his ish up.

The thing that impressed me the most was when their starting center went out, the second string guy played really well also, and they didn't lose much on the court

With RU, we could not say the same
Goes back to what I said earlier in Belichek conversation…

Patriots > Browns on an organizational level.

UCant had great success BEFORE Hurley arrived. The UConn name made his job a little easier than URI or Wagner.

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
Yes. That’s what’s been reported and k thought there was consensus on this. Richie also confirmed Hurley was interested. Why people are refuting this @fluoxetine i do not know. Maybe too much Prozac is clouding judgement lol.

But I will say, if the years were the hold up, than Hobbs actual behavior in terms of Hobbs, is pretty contradictory and strange. So I would actually at least hear out an argument that a lot of years wasn’t the hold up but every media outlet mentioned length of contract as a potential issue.

You have to consider that he really did not want the job and just made unreasonable requests
We might have agreed to everything and he still walks away, since he was looking for a higher profile job, less to have to improve

UConn has won 4 titles in the last 20 years with 3 different coaches. Not sure why some are yelling at the sky because a blue blood program won again. Hurley at RU may never have done what Pike has already done here. They were two entirely different jobs.
maybe Pike will be our Calhoun. I remember a time when some UCONN fans had issues with Calhoun not "getting it done"... he started at UCONN in 1986 and did not make a final four until 1999.

Around the same time, mid-90s.. VTech fans were doubting their football coach.. Beamer.

As a Rutgers fan, I told both fans I'd swap coaches today.

Reactions: bitnez
You have to consider that he really did not want the job and just made unreasonable requests
We might have agreed to everything and he still walks away, since he was looking for a higher profile job, less to have to improve
and he played it perfectly.. right? Rutgers was a lot of risk and he would either have been overpaid for it or went someplace where he could build a resume to get a Blue-Blood job somewhere. Hurley was a Banon assistant at Rutgers.. he saw what the admin did to Banon and he must have been aware of how the administration backed Mike Rice.

Reactions: wheezer
yes.. I also do not remember Rutgers having any interest in Franklin. A coach who was in litigation over the Vandy rape scandal? Rutgers? Hell no. His predecessor.. yes.. O'Brien.. but that was just post-Schiano and we weren't paying for a coach then (couldn't afford Cristobal.. who, like Hurley, I am convinced he asked for more than he should have because he really did not want the job.. rumor was his So-Fla wife wanted nothing to do with Jersey).

Last edited:
Pike has nothing to prove buddy. Stop being a hater. His teams won plenty of clutch games in 20-21 and 21-22. An injury prevented those wins this year. You have lost your damn mind.
He only has nothing to prove in a world where actually winning something relevant doesn't matter. Which is basically where most RU fans live.

Your points have been spot on. Uconn is a blue blood. We were the furthest thing from a blue blood when Pike took over.

IMHO, Continuing a winning tradition at a blue blood is easier than starting a winning tradition at a perennial dumpster fire. A good to great coach can accomplish the former, only a transformative coach can accomplish the latter. When Pike started, the only thing he had to sell was himself and his vision. Hurley had an institution with a legacy to sell, along with himself and his vision - which was to return to what Uconn has always been. Could Hurley be a transformative coach, possibly, he hasn’t had to be, but Pike has proven that he is. It’s not yet determined if he’s also a great basketball tactician…but he’ll have the chance when he has a roster that is top to bottom as good as the great coaches he’s going up against.

Bird in hand…

Reactions: Loyal_2RU

Show your work. You made and indictment of RU and the AD by making the claim in the OP that Rutgers turned Hurley away.....this is much different than understanding what exactly happened during any discussions or interviews. There is already a media link in this thread that says he was not coming here.

Show your work. You made and indictment of RU and the AD by making the claim in the OP that Rutgers turned Hurley away.....this is much different than understanding what exactly happened during any discussions or interviews. There is already a media link in this thread that says he was not coming here.
Richie confirmed

S_janowski hasn’t posted any real thoughts since he said SOS doesn’t matter 😂😂

This OP was very diplomatically put. Same people always hijacking threads they have no intention of contributing to.

Why does everyone get so triggered talking about Rutgers athletics?

You’re bringing up this SOS again? Haha bro can’t believe you’re actually bringing this up again, not a good look!

1) I never disputed SOS back in 2021. When you brought this up last year to take a dig I clarified what the debate actually was about from the prior year. You actually liked the post when I clarified (see insert below).

2) The original debate was about Pikiells use of Young/Mathis vs. Mulcahy/McConnell in 2021. Specifically over the losing stretch we had when Young/Mathis were starting vs. the winning stretch that followed when Pikiell inserted Mulcahy/McConnell into the starting lineup.

3) My original point in 2021 was that Pikiell made the right move and that decision may have actually saved the season. I believe you were disputing whether it was the right move and trying to use SOS as a basis for that…when you simply had to look at the W/L column over the course of like 11-12 games lol.

4) Pretty brave that you would actually open this back up considering what Young and Mathis went on (or didn’t go on) to do at Oregon and St. John’s. They clearly weren’t “mis-used” by Pikiell as you always thought. Also Mulcahy and McConnell had pretty good finishes to their careers at Rutgers and were great teammates on and off the court (if you consider Mulcahy was hurt most of the year). Very surprised you would open this up again…even more evidence has become available to support Pikiell didn’t misuse Mathis/Young. He actually did a great job getting the most out of them.

My post from last year when you tried bringing this up again…you actually “liked” this post of mine: “Just to be clear I never argued or disagreed that the schedule wasn’t as strong after Pikiell pulled Mathis/Young out of the lineup.

The bottom line was that we went from a losing streak to a winning streak after this decision was made by Pikiell and that winning streak essentially saved the season.

So I always had a very hard time accepting the notion that Young/Mathis weren’t getting a fair shot or Pikiell was playing favorites (like you 100% said multiple times last year). That’s why I debated you so much.

College basketball is a long season and kids develop or go into funks so it’s okay and expected to have lineup that looks different throughout the season.”

Last edited:
Reactions: RUDiddy777
Richie confirmed

Link or Post Reference?

ps....Richie is the site owner, but assuming your reference is correct let's also not assume that only one source dictates what actually happened. You are running with a denigration of RU Athletics without much background details. Does that really make you any better than the hacks & trolls that attack RU on NJ dot com et or do you consider this site your personal toilet bowl to sh1t on RU?

Last edited:
Reactions: S_Janowski
Link or Post Reference?

ps....Richie is the site owner, but assuming your reference is correct let's also not assume that only one source dictates what actually happened. You are running with a denigration of RU Athletics without much background details. Does that really make you any better than the hacks & trolls that attack RU on NJ dot com et or do you consider this site your personal toilet bowl to sh1t on RU?
What else can we do but go by the trusted and verified sources that reported in the matter? They back this notion more than any other. How about were are the sources to support your conclusion? You have none. Seriously every thread has to become an unsubstantiated attack so tiresome.

This OP was so straight forward and transparent and then all the insecure board argument police ran as fast as they could to argue consensus details rather than just discuss the topic. Or not assume positive intent.

Appreciate the posters who came in here and posted with positive intent; whether about hurleys performance, the reported details of the negotiation, and pikes success.

As soon as the guys come i. with disingenuous attacks it goes off the rails. Somethings we can just accept and not get hurt by as Rutgers fans. It’s ok.

yes.. I also do not remember Rutgers having any interest in Franklin. A coach who was in litigation over the Vandy rape scandal? Rutgers? Hell no. His predecessor.. yes.. O'Brien.. but that was just post-Schiano and we weren't paying for a coach then (couldn't afford Cristobal.. who, like Hurley, I am convinced he asked for more than he should have because he really did not want the job.. rumor was his So-Fla wife wanted nothing to do with Jersey).

As I said, RU probably approached Franklin to see if he was interested

The next thing we know is that he used that against us when PU and RU were recruiting the same player

Not a big deal, but of course Franklin had to act like a jerk afterwards

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT