ADVERTISEMENT

The Wolf experiment at the four needs to end ….

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
He is a five.

This is not a pick on wolf post ….but strict baskwrball

When he is at the four on the perimeter …even inside the arc , they slump off him and it really messes up the the rest of the offensice spacing

This is a big part of our slow offensice starts out of the half todsy and many other times this year …when cliff and wolf are on the floor together

Yes mag fixes this , but …we
Have other options untik that

And it’s not like wolf /cliff duo is helping g the boards thsr much …

Wolf goes back to back up center when mag is back …and figure out a solution until that happens ….there are options on this roster to make it work without having wolf at the four

Last edited:
He is a five.

When he is at the four on the perimeter …even inside the arc , they slump off him and it really messes up the the rest of the offensice spacing

This is a big part of our slow offensice starts out of the half todsy and many other times this year …when cliff and wolf are on the floor together

Wolf goes back to back up center when mag is back …and figure out a solution until that happens ….there are options on this roster to make it work without having wolf at the five
Time to reinsert Austin williams.

Reactions: biazza38
Agreed, I don’t understand starting Cliff and Wolf together. They don’t even rebound well together. Cliff is actually the bigger issue as far as his level of play.

The passes to Cliff aren't resulting in baskets.Rutgers should look at the film and see how Illinois runs such an impressive half court offense.Pikielll even mentioned that after the game in comments with Jerry Recco.
Agreed. Illinois’ weave offense was a thing of beauty, executed to perfection. They always seemed to get a clean look out of it, with either Shannon getting downhill or with terrific ball movement.

Reactions: Scangg
He is a five.

Wolf goes back to back up center when mag is back …and figure out a solution until that happens ….there are options on this roster to make it work without having wolf at the five
Agree 100%. Not working at all. Think it might be time to take the training wheels off of GG and put him in the starting lineup, with Hyatt playing the 4.

Agreed. Illinois’ weave offense was a thing of beauty, executed to perfection. They always seemed to get a clean look out of it, with either Shannon getting downhill or with terrific ball movement.
The weave creates constant motion. We should try it

In related news, Baye Ndongo had 21 points and 5 rebounds in Georgia Tech’s win over Duke today. Man did we ever miss out on that kid. He’d be our starting 4 right now.

Sigh
I was the hugest Baye bull. Devastated when we lost him. Totally different team with him at the 4

In related news, Baye Ndongo had 21 points and 5 rebounds in Georgia Tech’s win over Duke today. Man did we ever miss out on that kid. He’d be our starting 4 right now.

Sigh
He would shoot 2-11 here with 5 pts. Our teams dont know how to shoot or sclre. Just dont get it’s

Reactions: Rutgers56 and kcg88

Sigh
Yeah he'd look great watching Hyatt blow another layup.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
He is a five.

absolutely on the mark

Considering how much Pike prefers length, short of Mag there isn't much else on the bench.

He is a five.

Thank you for saying this. The oldies who are used to basketball from the 60’s attacked me for saying this.

I can’t believe I’m saying this but Pike should start Wolf and bring Cliff off the bench.
1. Keeps Cliff out of early foul trouble
2. Maybe lights a fire under cliffs ***

Reactions: DRC79
I really like Wolf - I like his toughness and think he is a good role player. I also think criticism of him today with regards to rebounding is fair - we were sorely lacking in 2 areas - offense and rebounding. Somebody needs to sit down with Wolf, watch tape and hold him accountable - rebounding/toughness is his account!

Reactions: jrm75 and Loyal-Son
I can’t believe I’m saying this but Pike should start Wolf and bring Cliff off the bench.
1. Keeps Cliff out of early foul trouble
2. Maybe lights a fire under cliffs ***
This crossed my mind driving home too. Glad I'm not the only one

This crossed my mind driving home too. Glad I'm not the only one
Man that's drastic - but I get where you're coming from. My first thought is if you do that do you lose Cliff mentally? Guy has pretty much started since the day he got here - would that be too much of a Mind F*** for him?

Man that's drastic - but I get where you're coming from. My first thought is if you do that do you lose Cliff mentally? Guy has pretty much started since the day he got here - would that be too much of a Mind F*** for him?
I see what your saying, but he’s basically giving us nothing as it is so what’s the difference?

The passes to Cliff aren't resulting in baskets.Rutgers should look at the film and see how Illinois runs such a impressive half court offense.Pikielll even mentioned that after the game in comments with Jerry Recco.
The problem is once you work the ball to Cliff in the post, the possession is basically over. He doesn’t kick it back out to the perimeter and try to repost, he’s turning and putting up a shot regardless of if he’s in a position he can score from or not. Illinois didn’t even have to double him, they just kept making him catch the entry pass in a bad position.

The problem is once you work the ball to Cliff in the post, the possession is basically over. He doesn’t kick it back out to the perimeter and try to repost, he’s turning and putting up a shot regardless of if he’s in a position he can score from or not. Illinois didn’t even have to double him, they just kept making him catch the entry pass in a bad position.
Exactly! As long as Cliff is not close enough to dunk on you - you have to like the percentages if he has to shoot. Started another thread asking who is teaching the forwards/centers specifically because yes, Cliff should be passing a LOT more than he does.

Not true. He has passed when doubled. He needs to be able to score when he gets good post position and isn't doubled but hasn't

Simpson
Noah
Gavin
Hyatt
Cliff

That should be our starting 5…GG big liability on defense but we need MFing offense badly and we should stop trying to get CO the ball in the post. High PnR and even do it with GG a few times

We need to attack the rim and kick out if not there

Woolf/CO together is not ideal and personally o think Woolf a better post player

Reactions: Saint Puppy
Not true. He has passed when doubled. He needs to be able to score when he gets good post position and isn't doubled but hasn't
Maybe I need to go back and look, but Cliff always seems to me to be a black hole when he gets the ball. I always seem to be getting frustrated with him because he didn't pass it out after bricking yet another shot.

When he gets the ball in the post he moves away from the basket, massively increasing the difficulty of the shot. When he catches the ball he needs to try to get closer to the basket or pass.

He does look to pass out of the double team. The critique I was trying to make is when he doesn’t have good position he is usually forcing up a bad shot instead of realizing he doesn’t have an angle and kicking it back out to reset.

Simpson
Noah
Gavin
Hyatt
Cliff

That should be our starting 5…GG big liability on defense but we need MFing offense badly and we should stop trying to get CO the ball in the post. High PnR and even do it with GG a few times

We need to attack the rim and kick out if not there

Woolf/CO together is not ideal and personally o think Woolf a better post player
Agree with everything you said. Yes Wolf is 100% a better post player than Cliff, but that's not saying much. I don't think Wolf is that great either, but I'll definitely put my money on Wolf vs Cliff. That being said you need Cliff in there for what he can do Defensively/Rebounding.

The passes to Cliff aren't resulting in baskets.Rutgers should look at the film and see how Illinois runs such a impressive half court offense.Pikielll even mentioned that after the game in comments with Jerry Recco.
He hasn't run a much of an offense in nine years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT