ADVERTISEMENT

There’s NO reason why we can’t win a National Championship One Day

Here’s the problem Al, Greg doesn’t have 3 more years to right the ship before we lose even more fans. 1 player is never the reason a team struggles Al, particularly not 1 offensive lineman. That’s just silly.

If we have anywhere close to the same record/results we did last year, he’s gone.

That’s nonsense. We will probably be in the 4-6 win range for the next three years. He didn’t get an 8 year contract to rebuild the program in four years. Furthermore, the football facility, which was put in his contract, wasn’t completed, making it more difficult to recruit. So he will be here a while no matter what happens this year. Lastly, the new coaches all got 3 year contracts, so they’ll have three years to turn this around. Progress is being made, it’s just not as fast as we’d like.

I agree he doesn’t have 3 more years. Not everyone has drinks the kool aid like Al. I know he going to spew his diamonds in the rough, under rated, qb recruiting BS. Recruiting is trending down and where do you think it going after one or two more losing seasons. The last three years classes have been ranked 32,40 and the 64.what that going to look like if you have two more losing seasons?

The 32 class was overrated as we’ve had too many washouts. Subsequent classes are underrated as more kids from those classes will contribute. Recruiting is getting better even if it doesn’t show up in the ratings. This years, should be our best class yet.

That’s nonsense. We will probably be in the 4-6 win range for the next three years. He didn’t get an 8 year contract to rebuild the program in four years. Furthermore, the football facility, which was put in his contract, wasn’t completed, making it more difficult to recruit. So he will be here a while no matter what happens this year. Lastly, the new coaches all got 3 year contracts, so they’ll have three years to turn this around. Progress is being made, it’s just not as fast as we’d like.
He loses to either Northwestern, Fitzgerald is also feeling the heat and with time to prepare he can usually field a formidable team, or Temple, we caught EJ in his first start, but the EJ at the end of the year was much better and with a full offseason to fill out and work on his arm strength should be even better, and the heat on Schiano will be turned up and it could easily spiral out of his control.

Reactions: RAM69
From 2005 to 2014, we were decent for the most part, only struggling in 2010. And that too, only because Anthony Davis declared early for the draft.

Schiano has only been the coach for three seasons. And has had to work to undo 8 seasons of neglect. That doesn’t happen overnight. Till now, we’ve had four recruiting classes, and have a competitive defense to show for it. Two more classes and we’ll have a fully functional offense, based on the prospects we have in the pipeline, and talent we already have on the roster. We’re not there yet. But we’re not far off. In three seasons, we’ll be exactly where we want to be. A competitive Big Ten program with a state of the art football facility being built.
The problems in 2010 were a lot bigger than Anthony Davis. And you don't attract frontline talent with losing seasons. Recruiting is about winning. If you don't win, you won't attract good players. Coaching has been a big part of the problem on offense. Even though changes have been made, the jury is still out.

He got an 8 year contract because at the time we wouldn’t pay him the guarantee he wanted for a shorter term and because of fans like you he held pat Hobbs hostage. Fortunately with the $70 million per year kicking in we will have the buyout money available to right the ship if Greg continues to not show results….

Al, honest question. What’s more important to you? Rutgers building a winner or Greg Schiano being a winner?

The 32 class was overrated as we’ve had too many washouts. Subsequent classes are underrated as more kids from those classes will contribute. Recruiting is getting better even if it doesn’t show up in the ratings. This years, should be our best class yet.
Better than the infamous Savon Huggins ‘Jersey Power’ class?

Reactions: PSU_Nut
He got an 8 year contract because at the time we wouldn’t pay him the guarantee he wanted for a shorter term and because of fans like you he held pat Hobbs hostage. Fortunately with the $70 million per year kicking in we will have the buyout money available to right the ship if Greg continues to not show results….

Al, honest question. What’s more important to you? Rutgers building a winner or Greg Schiano being a winner?
could it be Rutgers wouldn't pay or agree to their support demands the coaches on "Anyone but Greg" RU fans wish list and Schiano was the best of who would come.
Others didn't even interview because of what RU was willing to give..

Rutgers needed a lot and wasn't willing to pay full price..
The pick of litter types weren't going to jeopardize their careers with that type of backing
Schiano didn't have his door pounded to sawdust by suitors, he didn't have better options.
Hobbs' phone wasn't ringing off the hook taking calls from Saban types about the job, so Greg was the best of the rest and was hired..

The problems in 2010 were a lot bigger than Anthony Davis. And you don't attract frontline talent with losing seasons. Recruiting is about winning. If you don't win, you won't attract good players. Coaching has been a big part of the problem on offense. Even though changes have been made, the jury is still out.

Not true. We lost to Syracuse 13-10, Tulane 17-14, UNC 17-13. With Anthony Davis we likely win all three and don’t give up something approaching 50 sacks. Anthony leaving early weakened us at two spots on the line. If Anthony stays and dedicates himself to getting stronger in the weight room, not only do we likely win 7 games, he likely is a Top 5 pick. The only reason he was drafted Top 12 was because he fared poorly in the combine.

Not true. We lost to Syracuse 13-10, Tulane 17-14, UNC 17-13. With Anthony Davis we likely win all three and don’t give up something approaching 50 sacks. Anthony leaving early weakened us at two spots on the line. If Anthony stays and dedicates himself to getting stronger in the weight room, not only do we likely win 7 games, he likely is a Top 5 pick. The only reason he was drafted Top 12 was because he fared poorly in the combine.
I really do feel sorry sometimes for people like yourself who are forced by their undying support for our HC to live their lives in the land of "what ifs," it must be very frustrating.

Reactions: Rutgers56

His contract is significantly Guaranteed. He will be owed 75% of the remaining amount if he is terminated. That said, he will get the time he needs to turn this around, especially because he has significant support and generated significant goodwill from his first time around.

Everyone knew going in that this was no quick fix because there was very little talent on the roster. A few more classes and we will have the talent to win. This years class is going to be a monster class which will resolve most of our offensive ills. The following years class will provide us with quality depth. You don’t build a big ten competitive team overnight, especially when you have PSU, UM, OSU, Maryland, and MSU in the same division, and have to develop mostly two and three star kids. Things take time.

• Haha
I really do feel sorry sometimes for people like yourself who are forced by their undying support for our HC to live their lives in the land of "what ifs," it must be very frustrating.

It’s not a what if. It’s a fact that Anthony Davis’ early departure materially affected our competitiveness, especially because we did not have an adequate replacement.

could it be Rutgers wouldn't pay or agree to their support demands the coaches on "Anyone but Greg" RU fans wish list and Schiano was the best of who would come.
Others didn't even interview because of what RU was willing to give..

Rutgers needed a lot and wasn't willing to pay full price..
The pick of litter types weren't going to jeopardize their careers with that type of backing
Schiano didn't have his door pounded to sawdust by suitors, he didn't have better options.
Hobbs' phone wasn't ringing off the hook taking calls from Saban types about the job, so Greg was the best of the rest and was hired..
Do you actually buy that garbage you just posted? As for the ‘anyone but Greg crowd’. I’ve watched enough baby boomers scream out with terrible ideas to become immune to caring what they have to say. Now that’s just me, I understand they control the money so Hobbs was held hostage however rehiring a retread no one else wanted is one of the easiest predictions to make as far as a guys potential success. Why do you think I’m one of the loudest Greg critics? Because I see where this is going, and saw it from the start. I knew rehiring him would divide the fanbase as the game has passed him by but we still have fans stuck in 06’ like Al, who will call for extensions after a 1-8 conference record finishing off our season ‘better than we were in September’ by getting b*tchslapped 37-0 by ‘perennial power’ maryland

You really believe Greg schiano, a guy literally no one else wanted was ‘the best we could do’?You really don’t think there’s excellent coaches out there for a $32 million contract? You really think Rutgers won’t pay when we just had to significantly overpay for our new OC?

This is genuinely sad. No where else in the country would fans be dancing around in bliss coming off a 1-8 conference record in year 3…. Only Rutgers, smh

Last edited:
Do you actually buy that garbage you just posted? As for the ‘anyone but Greg crowd’. I’ve watched enough baby boomers scream out with terrible ideas to become immune to caring what they have to say. Now that’s just me, I understand they control the money so Hobbs was held hostage however rehiring a retread no one else wanted is one of the easiest predictions to make as far as a guys potential success. Why do you think I’m one of the loudest Greg critics? Because I see where this is going, and saw it from the start. I knew rehiring him would divide the fanbase as the game has passed him by but we still have fans stuck in 06’ like Al, who will call for extensions after a 1-8 conference record finishing off our season ‘better than we were in September’ by getting b*tchslapped 37-0 by ‘perennial power’ maryland

You really believe Greg schiano, a guy literally no one else wanted was ‘the best we could do’?You really don’t think there’s excellent coaches out there for a $32 million contract? You really think Rutgers won’t pay when we just had to significantly overpay for our new OC?

This is genuinely sad. No where else in the country would fans be dancing around in bliss coming off a 1-8 conference record in year 3…. Only Rutgers, smh

Where your expectations are misplaced is that you expect an offensive coach like Mike Houston to come in and win right away with the talent onhand, and that is quite frankly ridiculous. Boomers know the team much better than you, and know what is needed most, and that is stability.

Greg has a much stronger resume in terms of caliber of kids he’s recruited, Jersey ties, NFL Coaching experience, and kids he’s sent to the NFL, than any alternative you can come up with.

Defense, especially the defensive line, was prioritized, because Greg knows defense best. Offensive talent issues were papered over with transfers, and we are now focused on fixing them with high school recruits, which takes time. Real progress has been made with the last two classes and two more classes are needed to fully resolve our talent issues on offense. That’s why I’ve pegged 2025 as our breakout year.

It’s not a what if. It’s a fact that Anthony Davis’ early departure materially affected our competitiveness, especially because we did not have an adequate replacement.
That is the very definition of a "what if," it is not a fact until it happens, up until then it is conjecture and prediction. You not only need Anthony Davis to stay, but you also need him hitting the weight room and getting stronger as you say, maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. Maybe he commits a bunch of holding penalties or hands to the face penalties that cost us games, maybe he misses a key block and our QB get injured, it is all conjecture, like 99% of your posts. It is a fantasy world and God bless you for living in it, but a lot of us season ticket holders are sick and tired of the fantasy Greg Schiano and want an end to the constant excuses and for him to start fielding a competitive football team in the B1G that doesn't lose to B1G powerhouse programs like Maryland 37-0 and Minnesota 31-0 in year 3 of a rebuild.

Where your expectations are misplaced is that you expect an offensive coach like Mike Houston to come in and win right away with the talent onhand, and that is quite frankly ridiculous. Boomers know the team much better than you, and know what is needed most, and that is stability.

Greg has a much stronger resume in terms of caliber of kids he’s recruited, Jersey ties, NFL Coaching experience, and kids he’s sent to the NFL, than any alternative you can come up with.

Defense, especially the defensive line, was prioritized, because Greg knows defense best. Offensive talent issues were papered over with transfers, and we are now focused on fixing them with high school recruits, which takes time. Real progress has been made with the last two classes and two more classes are needed to fully resolve our talent issues on offense. That’s why I’ve pegged 2025 as our breakout year.
Al, I hate to break this to you but no, Greg Schiano does not have the reputation you attribute. The top kids in jersey aren’t coming the way you describe, our last recruiting class was ranked #64 in the country with a transfer class ranked #144. Boomers don’t know the team at all if they are calling to extend a coach coming off a 1-8 conference record, though that’s not many anymore, that’s simply a rutgersAl ideology, my reference to the boomers influence was rehiring Greg in the first place.

As I have said countlessly, you have married yourself to Greg in a way that you have lost sight of what is important, Rutgers winning…

Wanna bring up Mike Houston? The guy that inherited a team with so much talent that they went 3-9 for three straight seasons prior to his arrival, went bowling year 3 as a 7 win team and just finished year 4 at 8-5 with one of those losses as a 1 point loss to the #13 ranked opponent in the country while coaching a mid major? (Not to mention 3 of their 5 losses were by a grand total of 6 points, so even in their losses they were competitive). The 8-5 team that dropped 47 on Temple while we barely managed 16? Please Al, let’s talk about Mike Houston… our fans would be over the moon with those kind of results👍

Last edited:

Plus the upcoming contract will make it even more nonsense that HC Schiano will be gone anytime soon? Right?

Did you ever say how many years will be added and at what salary? I would assume a raise too right?

I believe what I posted and those who think I'm wrong about it are wrong.
No top candidate for HC positions have come to RU and the ones some RU fans rave about seem to find other places to ply their trade.
The names mentioned by many are pile dreams because they won't jeopardize their career going to a program they feel won't do all that it takes to succeed.

RU's third year was astep back after making enough progress in year 2 by being bowl eligible, though with lower eligibility standards, and getting a bowl invite.
POO POO that all you want but it was a step in the right path to a winning program..

A eight year $32 mil contract isn't as great as you think it is and might be the reason those who are considered the type that could make RU FB a top program won't interview.
For example :
Maryland football coach Mike Locksley has received a contract extension in 2022
Locksley will earn $4 million the potential to earn up to $1.5 million in competitive goals compensation.
That's after having a 13-23 career record with the Terps

Reactions: rutgersal and Kbee3
That is the very definition of a "what if," it is not a fact until it happens, up until then it is conjecture and prediction. You not only need Anthony Davis to stay, but you also need him hitting the weight room and getting stronger as you say, maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. Maybe he commits a bunch of holding penalties or hands to the face penalties that cost us games, maybe he misses a key block and our QB get injured, it is all conjecture, like 99% of your posts. It is a fantasy world and God bless you for living in it, but a lot of us season ticket holders are sick and tired of the fantasy Greg Schiano and want an end to the constant excuses and for him to start fielding a competitive football team in the B1G that doesn't lose to B1G powerhouse programs like Maryland 37-0 and Minnesota 31-0 in year 3 of a rebuild.

Anthony Davis up till that point had been a very effective Left Tackle who had not only negated type opposing teams rush end, but also had the athleticism to get to the second level to wipe out opposing teams linebackers. So he would have been very effective as he was. What he needed to hit the weight room for, was to become a Top 5 Pick.

Season Ticket holders like us haven’t donated enough, at least to the extent that Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan have donated, and that’s why Rutgers struggles, due to a lack of resources. Any top notch kid who takes a visit to Maryland, Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, and Rutgers is very unlikely to choose Rutgers due to the perceived value of the respective programs.
Maryland in particular has an amazing football center, which they built for $250M+. We need one of our own.

Al, I hate to break this to you but no, Greg Schiano does not have the reputation you attribute. The top kids in jersey aren’t coming the way you describe, our last recruiting class was ranked #64 in the country with a transfer class ranked #144. Boomers don’t know the team at all if they are calling to extend a coach coming off a 1-8 conference record, though that’s not many anymore, that’s simply a rutgersAl ideology, my reference to the boomers influence was rehiring Greg in the first place.

As I have said countlessly, you have married yourself to Greg in a way that you have lost sight of what is important, Rutgers winning…

Wanna bring up Mike Houston? The guy that inherited a team with so much talent that they went 3-9 for three straight seasons prior to his arrival, went bowling year 3 as a 7 win team and just finished year 4 at 8-5 with one of those losses as a 1 point loss to the #13 ranked opponent in the country while coaching a mid major? (Not to mention 3 of their 5 losses were by a grand total of 6 points, so even in their losses they were competitive). The 8-5 team that dropped 47 on Temple while we barely managed 16? Please Al, let’s talk about Mike Houston… our fans would be over the moon with those kind of results👍

Yes, I want to bring up Mike Houston, because it even took Mike Houston time to turn things around in a much lesser conference, where football is as important. We play in the Big Ten, arguably the best conference in America, and you’re not winning many Big Ten games without talent and depth. Sadly, we are short on both, but we’ve made significant progress towards rectifying both. A few more years and we’ll be good to go. When all is said and done, the incoming class will be one of our better classes.

Had Schiano remained, we probably would have put together another outlier season in 2012., which is the year we won a share of a Big East Championship. But he bolted for Tampa Bay.
Had my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle. He took many assistants with him to TB not giving a f*ck about what was left behind. Ironic that some talk about the disaster he walked back into when it was he who helped create it. He’s a great salesman tho. Manny are still buying.

I believe what I posted and those who think I'm wrong about it are wrong.
No top candidate for HC positions have come to RU and the ones some RU fans rave about seem to find other places to ply their trade.
The names mentioned by many are pile dreams because they won't jeopardize their career going to a program they feel won't do all that it takes to succeed.

RU's third year was astep back after making enough progress in year 2 by being bowl eligible, though with lower eligibility standards, and getting a bowl invite.
POO POO that all you want but it was a step in the right path to a winning program..

A eight year $32 mil contract isn't as great as you think it is and might be the reason those who are considered the type that could make RU FB a top program won't interview.
For example :
Maryland football coach Mike Locksley has received a contract extension in 2022
Locksley will earn $4 million the potential to earn up to $1.5 million in competitive goals compensation.
That's after having a 13-23 career record with the Terps
You do realize I was and still am calling for us to hire Mike Houston right? The HC from ECU currently making under $2 million per year…. So you can go about all these ‘name coaches’ that we can’t afford while we are literally going to be paying a higher number in OC salaries this year than Houston’s current salary…. Absolute nonsense a guy like that wouldn’t take the job.

Also total nonsense that the ‘best we could do’ was a HC who hadn’t been a HC in nearly a decade that literally no other school wanted…. Meanwhile the results have been the results, and with the latest recruiting class and and all talk of improvement this year is simply wishful thinking..

Anthony Davis up till that point had been a very effective Left Tackle who had not only negated type opposing teams rush end, but also had the athleticism to get to the second level to wipe out opposing teams linebackers. So he would have been very effective as he was. What he needed to hit the weight room for, was to become a Top 5 Pick.

Season Ticket holders like us haven’t donated enough, at least to the extent that Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan have donated, and that’s why Rutgers struggles, due to a lack of resources. Any top notch kid who takes a visit to Maryland, Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, and Rutgers is very unlikely to choose Rutgers due to the perceived value of the respective programs.
Maryland in particular has an amazing football center, which they built for $250M+. We need one of our own.
Maryland also has the owner/CEO of under Armor as an alumi… but yea continue to blame the fans in your defense of Greg…

Yes, I want to bring up Mike Houston, because it even took Mike Houston time to turn things around in a much lesser conference, where football is as important. We play in the Big Ten, arguably the best conference in America, and you’re not winning many Big Ten games without talent and depth. Sadly, we are short on both, but we’ve made significant progress towards rectifying both. A few more years and we’ll be good to go. When all is said and done, the incoming class will be one of our better classes.
Ok then let’s talk about Mike Houston…. His first year he improved the teams record from what he inherited, second year improved it again, by year 3 they were a 7 win team playing in a bowl, just finished year 4 as an 8 win team, won their bowl game. This season lost to the #13 team in the country by 1 point, lost to a top 10 team by 17 points (meanwhile we didn’t stay within 30 of any top opponent).

Mike Houston’s ECU squad was responsible for an average of 32.5 points per game while we barely managed 17 a game with 5.5 points of those 17 per game average coming as a result of the Wagner game…. Take out Wagner and our offense averaged UNDER 12 points per game last year!!! Do you understand how historically awful you have to be to do that? Do you conceive how absolutely terrible that is? That’s not (oh he can work on it) level bad, that’s a complete failure of the system. A failure you seem to not want to hold him accountable for whatsoever despite that offense being led by his hire, with majority his players last year…. It’s excuse after excuse after excuse!

Now let’s dive further into Houston and ECU, you yell from the rooftops about how great our defense is, well statistically ECU’s is better…

ECU opp/ppg: 27.2
RU opp/ppg: 29.8

Now granted, Houston has been there 1 more season than Greg at Rutgers so perhaps this year Greg can go 8-5 and win the bowl game. Tell you what Al, if we are able to not even replicate, come within 2 games of what Mike Houston did in 4 years I’ll be thrilled, the whole fanbase will..

Let’s talk more about Houston, you and madhat have made up this excuse that Rutgers won’t pay a ‘high dollar coach’, cool, I’m not asking for one. Houston is currently making less than $2 million a year, you really don’t think we could afford him? You really don’t think he would jump at the opportunity to move to a P5 job and double his salary?

We can talk about Greg Schiano, the man who swore at every press conference that the team would be ‘better in November’ who went 0-5 in November being outscored 163-38 and to make matters worse, the one winnable game vs an opponent with however many players suspended he is too chicken shit to run a drive with 1:33 remaining and 3 timeouts after 2 splash plays in a game we wound up losing by less than a TD… GREAT COACHING SMH!

Let’s talk about Mike Houston, the guy we should have hire 3 years ago…

Last edited:
And who fault is it for not having a replacement? Last time I checked part of a coaches job is to recruit and stockpile talent. You love to make excuses but you fail to realize the the person responsible for the excuse is the same person you are defending.

And who fault is it for not having a replacement? Last time I checked part of a coaches job is to recruit and stockpile talent. You love to make excuses but you fail to realize the the person responsible for the excuse is the same person you are defending.
Bro, your trying to rationalize with a man who is claiming that one single offensive lineman would make the difference in us having a successful season…. There’s nothing rational here.

Anthony Davis should have gotten Heisman consideration, given his overwhelming influence on RU's won loss record. He was an offensive line all by himself.

You do realize I was and still am calling for us to hire Mike Houston right? The HC from ECU currently making under $2 million per year…. So you can go about all these ‘name coaches’ that we can’t afford while we are literally going to be paying a higher number in OC salaries this year than Houston’s current salary…. Absolute nonsense a guy like that wouldn’t take the job.

Also total nonsense that the ‘best we could do’ was a HC who hadn’t been a HC in nearly a decade that literally no other school wanted…. Meanwhile the results have been the results, and with the latest recruiting class and and all talk of improvement this year is simply wishful thinking..
call all you want.
But maybe Hobbs went through 3rd party finding out whose interested and Houston wanted more than just a salary to come
Fans and supporters can whine,cry and carry on all they want about their favorite Ash replacement, but the fact is that they didn't get the position and that fact might be they were afraid of ruining future chances taking the RU job and feeling the administration wasn't going to give them everything needed to succeed.
By the way, Mike is 22-24 in his 4 years there .

MH went 4-8 his first year there and regressed to 3-6 the next year
Programs progressing nicely, but far from making Houston look like a lock for being successful at Rutgers with the same backing the administration and boosters give Schiano

MY PICK (that might have been approached by 3rd party and shown no interest because of perceived lack of backing) was Chris Klieman

who took the KSU job and doing pretty good there
But I won't say Rutgers should have hired him over Greg, because I feel there were a lot of good canidates for the job that let Hobbs know ( through 3rd parties) don't ask unless you're willing to do everyting nessary to make sure your football program has what it needs to be a successful program in the B1G and a Top 25 program .

How is this thread still going on? 7 pages of people not only pretending to be fortune-tellers, but being aggressive about it. Brilliant! 🤣

How is this thread still going on? 7 pages of people not only pretending to be fortune-tellers, but being aggressive about it. Brilliant! 🤣
your guess is as good as mine.
My guess most are like me when talking coaching situation and chance for a future playoff spot
When someone is disagreeing with my opinion
reasons-wrong.gif

Bro, your trying to rationalize with a man who is claiming that one single offensive lineman would make the difference in us having a successful season…. There’s nothing rational here.

Not just any lineman, an All American Caliber Top 5 pick, Left Tackle, whose presence likely cuts the number of sacks given up from roughly 50 to half that.

• Haha

Because there are interested posters who wish to discuss the topic at hand. Feel free to chime in, or participate in the many other threads on this board.

How do you replace the best Left Tackle from NJ in the last twenty years? You don’t. You fill in the best you can, just as when Penn State replaced Saquan Barkley, it’s best rb in the last twenty years.

Ok then let’s talk about Mike Houston…. His first year he improved the teams record from what he inherited, second year improved it again, by year 3 they were a 7 win team playing in a bowl, just finished year 4 as an 8 win team, won their bowl game. This season lost to the #13 team in the country by 1 point, lost to a top 10 team by 17 points (meanwhile we didn’t stay within 30 of any top opponent).

Mike Houston’s ECU squad was responsible for an average of 32.5 points per game while we barely managed 17 a game with 5.5 points of those 17 per game average coming as a result of the Wagner game…. Take out Wagner and our offense averaged UNDER 12 points per game last year!!! Do you understand how historically awful you have to be to do that? Do you conceive how absolutely terrible that is? That’s not (oh he can work on it) level bad, that’s a complete failure of the system. A failure you seem to not want to hold him accountable for whatsoever despite that offense being led by his hire, with majority his players last year…. It’s excuse after excuse after excuse!

Now let’s dive further into Houston and ECU, you yell from the rooftops about how great our defense is, well statistically ECU’s is better…

ECU opp/ppg: 27.2
RU opp/ppg: 29.8

Now granted, Houston has been there 1 more season than Greg at Rutgers so perhaps this year Greg can go 8-5 and win the bowl game. Tell you what Al, if we are able to not even replicate, come within 2 games of what Mike Houston did in 4 years I’ll be thrilled, the whole fanbase will..

Let’s talk more about Houston, you and madhat have made up this excuse that Rutgers won’t pay a ‘high dollar coach’, cool, I’m not asking for one. Houston is currently making less than $2 million a year, you really don’t think we could afford him? You really don’t think he would jump at the opportunity to move to a P5 job and double his salary?

We can talk about Greg Schiano, the man who swore at every press conference that the team would be ‘better in November’ who went 0-5 in November being outscored 163-38 and to make matters worse, the one winnable game vs an opponent with however many players suspended he is too chicken shit to run a drive with 1:33 remaining and 3 timeouts after 2 splash plays in a game we wound up losing by less than a TD… GREAT COACHING SMH!

Let’s talk about Mike Houston, the guy we should have hire 3 years ago…

Injuries and depth were why we weren’t better in November. That you would compare, EZU, which plays in a joke conference, to Rutgers , which plays in the best conferences in America, is 8 jokes in one. No matter who was hired, this was always going to be at least a 5 year building period, because that is the amount of time needed to attract enough talent and build enough depth. Time is needed when you are trying to build mostly 2 and 3 star recruits into 4 and 5 star players.

We are almost there, but there is still much work to be done in the next two years.

The reason why Mike Houston wouldn’t be hired here is he doesn’t have the strong enough resume needed to be successful here. No one cares that his EZU squad averages a zillion points in little league. Our competitions roster is littered with NFL draft picks and we are still in the process of developing our own.

What’s needed here are strong ties to NJ’s coaches, and a demonstrated history of recruited NJs best prospects. Because of coaches Schiano’s ties we are successfully recruiting South Jersey and NYC. We must do a better job in North Jersey and we are working on it. Rutgers first and foremost, needs a consummate salesman, which Schiano is.

No other coach, and especially not Mike Houston, would be similarly successful. Mike Houston’s next stop should be in the Carolina’s or in Virginia became that is where his recruiting ties are strongest.

Injuries and depth were why we weren’t better in November. That you would compare, EZU, which plays in a joke conference, to Rutgers , which plays in the best conferences in America, is 8 jokes in one. No matter who was hired, this was always going to be at least a 5 year building period, because that is the amount of time needed to attract enough talent and build enough depth. Time is needed when you are trying to build mostly 2 and 3 star recruits into 4 and 5 star players.

We are almost there, but there is still much work to be done in the next two years.

The reason why Mike Houston wouldn’t be hired here is he doesn’t have the strong enough resume needed to be successful here. No one cares that his EZU squad averages a zillion points in little league. Our competitions roster is littered with NFL draft picks and we are still in the process of developing our own.

What’s needed here are strong ties to NJ’s coaches, and a demonstrated history of recruited NJs best prospects. Because of coaches Schiano’s ties we are successfully recruiting South Jersey and NYC. We must do a better job in North Jersey and we are working on it. Rutgers first and foremost, needs a consummate salesman, which Schiano is.

No other coach, and especially not Mike Houston, would be similarly successful. Mike Houston’s next stop should be in the Carolina’s or in Virginia became that is where his recruiting ties are strongest.
He doesn’t have a strong enough resume? He’s been a HC and turned around 5 separate programs over the last 20 years. Greg’s resume over the last 10 is getting fired from Tampa, coaching Ohio states defense and the defense statistically got better once he left, and a stint as an analyst for the big ten network…. Al, you’re married to the man, this conversation is going no where as you are incapable of rational thought.

Wanna compare true apples to apples? We scored 16 points vs temple last year, ECU scored 47…. Head to head they would have kicked our ass last year. But hey god knows it’s just going to be more excuses from you and a refusal to hold the man accountable.

Claiming injuries were the cause of our November is laughable. Every team deals with injuries. Keep dancing around Greg refusing to go for a drive with 1:33 on the clock and 3 timeouts in a game we lost by 6. Keep defending the biggest embarrassment play in all of football when we charge the opponent as they take a knee.

Greg’s got 1 and a half years Al to turn this around. Next year if we have a season like last, his seat will be as hot as anyone in the country. If we finish the season like we did last year he’s gone regardless but let’s say he makes it to 2024, similar to Ash starting the year in hot water if we don’t see results it’s over…. And yes that is something you are just going to have to accept no matter how much you want to will the contrary to existence. Every fan besides rutgersal will have lost their patience, we’ll see if the #64 recruiting class in the country can produce the results and help we need considering we lost half our already dogsh*t offense that Greg is responsible for

Last edited:
He doesn’t have a strong enough resume? He’s been a HC and turned around 5 separate programs over the last 20 years. Greg’s resume over the last 10 is getting fired from Tampa, coaching Ohio states defense and the defense statistically got better once he left, and a stint as an analyst for the big ten network…. Al, you’re married to the man, this conversation is going no where as you are incapable of rational thought.

Wanna compare true apples to apples? We scored 16 points vs temple last year, ECU scored 47…. Head to head they would have kicked our ass last year. But hey god knows it’s just going to be more excuses from you and a refusal to hold the man accountable.

Claiming injuries were the cause of our November is laughable. Every team deals with injuries. Keep dancing around Greg refusing to go for a drive with 1:33 on the clock and 3 timeouts in a game we lost by 6. Keep defending the biggest embarrassment play in all of football when we charge the opponent as they take a knee.

Greg’s got 1 and a half years Al to turn this around. Next year if we have a season like last, his seat will be as hot as anyone in the country. If we finish the season like we did last year he’s gone regardless but let’s say he makes it to 2024, similar to Ash starting the year in hot water if we don’t see results it’s over…. And yes that is something you are just going to have to accept no matter how much you want to will the contrary to existence. Every fan besides rutgersal will have lost their patience, we’ll see if the #64 recruiting class in the country can produce the results and help we need considering we lost half our already dogsh*t offense that Greg is responsible for

Injuries affect Rutgers more than any other school because we are still building our frontline talent and depth. When Vedral went down, we started Evan Simon from scratch, and lived with his mistakes. Then we started Gavin and lived with his mistakes. When Sam Brown went down, we had no one to replace his big play ability, though kids did their best. When Victor Konopka went down, we lost our tight end with big play ability and the replacements did the best they could. Contrast that with Ohio State. When they lose a player, they plug in another 4 or 5 star. We’re working to get yo that point. Two more classes, and we’ll have the talent and depth to be competitive. Till then, we are just going to have to live with the results, because for now, this is an offensively adverse situation. Unless we get surprise contributions from unexpected places.

Mike Houston has been a head coach since 2014, and coached at the Citadel and James Madison. He was born in North Carolina, and his roster is filled with kids from the Carolinas among other places. He has 1 NJ kid on his roster, a transfer from Elon. He’s doing a good job but his team finished 8-5 last year, and loses it’s starting quarterback to the draft. Good coach but not the profile of someone you would consider for the Rutgers job. He should stay in the Carolinas/Virginia/ACC Conference. No Big Ten School would consider him.

Injuries affect Rutgers more than any other school because we are still building our frontline talent and depth. When Vedral went down, we started Evan Simon from scratch, and lived with his mistakes. Then we started Gavin and lived with his mistakes. When Sam Brown went down, we had no one to replace his big play ability, though kids did their best. When Victor Konopka went down, we lost our tight end with big play ability and the replacements did the best they could. Contrast that with Ohio State. When they lose a player, they plug in another 4 or 5 star. We’re working to get yo that point. Two more classes, and we’ll have the talent and depth to be competitive. Till then, we are just going to have to live with the results, because for now, this is an offensively adverse situation. Unless we get surprise contributions from unexpected places.

Mike Houston has been a head coach since 2014, and coached at the Citadel and James Madison. He was born in North Carolina, and his roster is filled with kids from the Carolinas among other places. He has 1 NJ kid on his roster, a transfer from Elon. He’s doing a good job but his team finished 8-5 last year, and loses it’s starting quarterback to the draft. Good coach but not the profile of someone you would consider for the Rutgers job. He should stay in the Carolinas/Virginia/ACC Conference. No Big Ten School would consider him.
Injuries affect every team Al. You are insane for thinking Rutgers gets some sort of special pass on building depth in a transfer portal landscape. Especially considering this initial post was made about how great our talent is as proven by the NFL success of those two Chris Ash recruits...

Sam Brown was perfectly healthy for Temple, he had 30 yards rushing and averaged 3.8 a carry en route to us scoring 16 points. ECU put up 47 on them 2 weeks later.... Regional coaches only go so far, in todays social media landscape it does not matter the way you describe where a coach is from. It can play a role sure, I challenge you though to go back and look at those JMU National Championship rosters that Houston was the coach of and see how many jersey kids were on that roster...

Let's talk about another MASSIVE difference and inconvenient truth regarding Schiano and compare this to Houston's ECU squad, Penalties. It's one of the easiest statistics to look at that has direct corelation to coaching. Last season ECU averaged 4.6 penalties per game, which was T-19th nationally for lowest in the country. Last Season Rutgers averaged 8.0 penalties per game, which ranked T-126 out of 131 teams nationally.

The reality is Al, I could present you with a mountain of evidence as to why Greg 2.0 has and will continue to fail, but it's never going to matter or resonate with you and you are never going to accept it. Lord knows there's going to be about a 3-4 month hiatus from RutgersAl after Greg is fired.

Last edited:
How do you replace the best Left Tackle from NJ in the last twenty years? You don’t. You fill in the best you can, just as when Penn State replaced Saquan Barkley, it’s best rb in the last twenty years.
You mean when they replaced him with Miles Sanders a second round pick who was a pro bowl back. Yes a step down but no one claiming he cost them 4 games.

Reactions: Kbee3
Injuries affect every team Al. You are insane for thinking Rutgers gets some sort of special pass on building depth in a transfer portal landscape. Especially considering this initial post was made about how great our talent is as proven by the NFL success of those two Chris Ash recruits...

Sam Brown was perfectly healthy for Temple, he had 30 yards rushing and averaged 3.8 a carry en route to us scoring 16 points. ECU put up 47 on them 2 weeks later.... Regional coaches only go so far, in todays social media landscape it does not matter the way you describe where a coach is from. It can play a role sure, I challenge you though to go back and look at those JMU National Championship rosters that Houston was the coach of and see how many jersey kids were on that roster...

Let's talk about another MASSIVE difference and inconvenient truth regarding Schiano and compare this to Houston's ECU squad, Penalties. It's one of the easiest statistics to look at that has direct corelation to coaching. Last season ECU averaged 4.6 penalties per game, which was T-19th nationally for lowest in the country. Last Season Rutgers averaged 8.0 penalties per game, which ranked T-126 out of 131 teams nationally.

The reality is Al, I could present you with a mountain of evidence as to why Greg 2.0 has and will continue to fail, but it's never going to matter or resonate with you and you are never going to accept it. Lord knows there's going to be about a 3-4 month hiatus from RutgersAl after Greg is fired.

We are building our talent base and in time it will be great. But this build isn’t going to be finished overnight. We are two more classes away from getting to competitive. So Novembers will continue to be challenging for us, especially if the offense continues to struggle or only shows the expected incremental improvement.

The mountain of evidence you provide isn’t going to resonate with me because it’s all bullsht. We commit a lot of penalties because we don’t have the talent and we need to be more disciplined. But even in our current state, one thing I do know is that we would mop the floor with EZU.

Rutgers doesn’t deserve any special pass for injuries but it is a fact that injuries will affect Rutgers more than any other team because we are still building the needed frontline talent.

EZU put 47 on Temple two weeks later because EZU had a senior while we started a kid in his second game. We had a very conservative gameplan designed to minimize mistakes and optimize probability of victory. Big difference.

I’m not researching a coach who has no chance at this job. He’s a Carolina guy who belongs in Carolina . Greg is a Jersey guy who will coach at Rutgers a very long time

You mean when they replaced him with Miles Sanders a second round pick who was a pro bowl back. Yes a step down but no one claiming he cost them 4 games.

Rutgers went from 9-4 in 2009 to 4-8 in 2010, a 5 win swing. Sacks given up roughly doubled, rushing yards fell by 50%. Passing yards fell. That’s ample evidence for me that Left Tackle Anthony Davis loss contributed significantly to our 2010 malaise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT