ADVERTISEMENT

There’s NO reason why we can’t win a National Championship One Day

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
Isaiah Pacheco and Michael Burton are at the Pinnacle of professional football success. We have a coach who has a demonstrated history of recruiting well. We have a S&C Coach who has developed a ton of kids for the NFL. We have experienced assistants in place to take the program to the next level. A football operations center is being built. Once this is built, we will recruit with the best of them.

Lastly, Knights of the Raritan and Knight Society are doing an amazing job supporting our student athletes.

We live in the Best area in America, in location second to none. The only thing that was previously missing was a commitment to excellence. That is no longer the case.

As Howard Schnellenburger once said, “We are on a collision course with the National Championship. The only variable is time”

nmuvgiC.jpg

Linemen. It is all about elite linemen. There are more elite skill position players than elite linemen.

Agreed. In our case, we will have to develop them, rather than recruit them.

I’m hopeful that The caliber of prospect we are landing now will be able to take Rutgers to the next level.

Isaiah Pacheco and Michael Burton are at the Pinnacle of professional football success. We have a coach who has a demonstrated history of recruiting well. We have a S&C Coach who has developed a ton of kids for the NFL. We have experienced assistants in place to take the program to the next level. A football operations center is being built. Once this is built, we will recruit with the best of them.

Lastly, Knights of the Raritan and Knight Society are doing an amazing job supporting our student athletes.

We live in the Best area in America, in location second to none. The only thing that was previously missing was a commitment to excellence. That is no longer the case.

As Howard Schnellenburger once said, “We are on a collision course with the National Championship. The only variable is time”
I agree, Al. There is no reason why we can’t win a national championship, or at least make the college football playoff someday. It won’t happen next year, or the year after that, but I believe this team will achieve unprecedented levels of success In the coming years. Look at where we are located. We are surrounded by talent and resources, so with commitment, effort, and some luck, we will get there. They told Schiano that he would never get to a bowl game, then we he did, they said “You will never win a bowl game” and after that, they said ”You will never win multiple bowl games.” He proved the naysayers wrong every time.

Frankly, if you are not envisioning your team or career through the lens of “I want to be the best and I believe that I can get there someday” then you have already lost.

Scarlet Jerry

Sure. All Rutgers has to do is hire Andy Reid. The year Pacheco had with KC puts puts the low level of offensive coaching at RU into stark relief.

Sure. All Rutgers has to do is hire Andy Reid. The year Pacheco had with KC puts puts the low level of offensive coaching at RU into stark relief.

The biggest difference is the KC Offensive Line, whose effectiveness we are trying to replicate.

Do you realize that 20 schools put at least two players in yesterday including 6 from Oklahoma? SEC had 21 players there.

So Rutgers having a starting running back there means nothing. I guess Saquon Barkly and Jonathan Taylor should have come to Rutgers to win a Natty and a Super bowl.

Do you realize that 20 schools put at least two players in yesterday including 6 from Oklahoma? SEC had 21 players there.

So Rutgers having a starting running back there means nothing. I guess Saquon Barkly and Jonathan Taylor should have come to Rutgers to win a Natty and a Super bowl.

If Schiano were Coach at the time, Barkley and Taylor would both be on our roster. If Schiano hadn’t left in 2012, we also would have had more than 2 players on yesterdays rosters. As it was, we had 2, which. Isn’t bad.

I will say this for Al: at least he dreams big. We have "Aim Low" fans who support Schiano based on the idea that he'll never get us better than 7-5 but that's OK with them because at least it's not 2-10.

Same. I was actually shocked that I agree with the OP.
There is no systemic reason we can't compete and win the Big Ten.
The complaining about money and NIL and recruiting is nonsense.

Our incompetency has entirely been our own doing - hiring bad HCs and implementing outdated terrible offensive systems.
If we got the right HC and offensive system in place, and actually let it play out and go through growing pains, we could do exactly the same thing TCU just did.
It's not going to take place overnight and you can't take short cuts (like hiring OC looking to "win now" with an outdated offensive philosophy that has a low ceiling - see OC Kill and potentially OC KC).

This is where I disagree with the OP.
I don't think we have those key/necessary items in place yet.

Reactions: rutgersal

so you're saying we have a chance?

so you're saying we have a chance?
No...we don't
Hopefully we can eventually compete in the Big Ten. And frankly, considering where Rutgers football was at when I first started following the program, that would be a remarkable achievement.
Maybe in basketball.

NEED an offensive line that can go toe to toe with everyone. And, give a good QB some time in pocket to develop the plays.
But having 2 x RU Superbowl guys will draw attention !!

I'd rather hire the O line. It has little to do with coaching. Andy Reid is not out there blocking for him.

Agreed. In our case, we will have to develop them, rather than recruit them.

I’m hopeful that The caliber of prospect we are landing now will be able to take Rutgers to the next level.
Development has to equate to NFL level players, not just playing to the best of your ability.
In 2006 we had 16 NFL level players on our roster.
When we have that again we wil be ready to compete…
Sometimes a coach gets the absolute best out of his players, but their best isn’t good enough

Last edited:
hoping for and dreaming about success is the sign of being a fan.
Keep on letting us share your fanhood Al and never never allow anyone
to make you lose your positive attitude about Rutgers football.

From Dr.John and Burnsie to Greg 1&2 many RU football fans have shared the same hopes and dreams you have Al and refuses to allow the " realists" to make us believe RU is a second rate program that never will obtain true success
Keep on dreaming Al there are more that share the same deam of a National Championship is possible and will not be dissuaded from by those of little faith scorning us. for expressing our belief in RU FB

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet Jerry
No...we don't
Hopefully we can eventually compete in the Big Ten. And frankly, considering where Rutgers football was at when I first started following the program, that would be a remarkable achievement.
Maybe in basketball.
lol. my response was a "joke"! :)

If Schiano were Coach at the time, Barkley and Taylor would both be on our roster. If Schiano hadn’t left in 2012, we also would have had more than 2 players on yesterdays rosters. As it was, we had 2, which. Isn’t bad.
you do realize that Ash recruited Isiah and Schiano did little with him to increase his production is time coaching him (20-21) and Burton was a walk on that played only 1 season under Schiano? I'm not saying Greg can't find NFL players but using these two as examples is not attributed to him.

YEARGAMESRUSH ATTRUSH YDSRUSH TDSRECREC YDSREC TD
Career445632,44218472491

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Let's just try to get our a$$es to 7-5 or 8-4 and have fun during the holidays at some Florida bowls or whatever. Maybe you catch lightning in a bottle for a magical year once in a while, but I'm a realist.

Let's just try to get our a$$es to 7-5 or 8-4 and have fun during the holidays at some Florida bowls or whatever. Maybe you catch lightning in a bottle for a magical year once in a while, but I'm a realist.
nothing wrong with being a realist, but no one should be bashing someone with an overly optimistic attitude they are sharing because they don't think the type of success that optimist expects is unrealistic.
Just agree to disagree and be comfortable sharing your position on what type of success the future holds for RU FB while allowing the optimists the right to dream in public.

I'm hoping for Rutgers to get back to their constant minor bowl appearances then move up in class to the BCS type just below playoffs.
Then take a step up into the playoff class every few years.

all you need to feel like me and Al is
think like this song suggests we have
(High Hopes)
Next time you're found
With your chin on the ground
There a lot to be learned
So look around
Just what makes that little old ant
Think he'll move that rubber tree plant
Anyone knows an ant can't
Move a rubber tree plant
But he's got high hopes
He's got high hopes
He's got high apple pie
In the sky hopes
So any time you're gettin' low
'Stead of lettin' go
Just remember that ant
Oops, there goes another rubber tree plant
When troubles call
And your back's to the wall
That wall could fall
Once there was a silly old ram
Thought he'd punch a hole in a dam
No one could make that ram scram
He kept buttin' that dam
'Cause he had high hopes
He had high hopes
He had high apple pie
In the sky hopes
So any time you're feelin' bad
'Stead of feelin' sad
Just remember that ram
Oops, there goes a billion kilowatt dam
All problems just a toy balloon
They'll be bursted soon
They're just bound to go pop
Oops, there goes another problem, kerplop
Kerplop
(Frank Sinatra )

• Haha
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84

With the classes schiano is bringing in, 7-5 and 8-4 is around the corner. Have to think Big, Pete. We will be 7-5 in 2025 latest, perhaps earlier. We have a new Football Operations Center. Our OL Coach has a Super Bowl Ring. The sky is the limit.

nothing wrong with being a realist, but no one should be bashing someone with an overly optimistic attitude they are sharing because they don't think the type of success that optimist expects is unrealistic.
Just agree to disagree and be comfortable sharing your position on what type of success the future holds for RU FB while allowing the optimists the right to dream in public.

I'm hoping for Rutgers to get back to their constant minor bowl appearances then move up in class to the BCS type just below playoffs.
Then take a step up into the playoff class every few years.

all you need to feel like me and Al is
think like this song suggests we have
(High Hopes)
Next time you're found
With your chin on the ground
So look around
Just what makes that little old ant
Think he'll move that rubber tree plant
Anyone knows an ant can't
Move a rubber tree plant
But he's got high hopes
He's got high hopes
He's got high apple pie
In the sky hopes
So any time you're gettin' low
'Stead of lettin' go
Just remember that ant
When troubles call
And your back's to the wall
That wall could fall
Once there was a silly old ram
Thought he'd punch a hole in a dam
No one could make that ram scram
He kept buttin' that dam
'Cause he had high hopes
He had high hopes
He had high apple pie
In the sky hopes
So any time you're feelin' bad
'Stead of feelin' sad
Just remember that ram
All problems just a toy balloon
They'll be bursted soon
They're just bound to go pop
Kerplop
(Frank Sinatra )
Did I bash anyone here? No way.

With the classes schiano is bringing in, 7-5 and 8-4 is around the corner. Have to think Big, Pete. We will be 7-5 in 2025 latest, perhaps earlier. We have a new Football Operations Center. Our OL Coach has a Super Bowl Ring. The sky is the limit.
I will say I am interested to see what Flaherty will do with that good OL class we have redshirting. That group will be key to us turning the corner.

Reactions: rutgersal
I will say I am interested to see what Flaherty will do with that good OL class we have redshirting. That group will be key to us turning the corner.
Pete. You're spot on. Don't let the replies put a nano second of doubt in your mind.
This guy's clown show has been going on for over a decade. Maybe two.

Reactions: RUPete
NEED an offensive line that can go toe to toe with everyone. And, give a good QB some time in pocket to develop the plays.
But having 2 x RU Superbowl guys will draw attention !!

Once this year and last years recruits develop, we will have that. Won’t happen overnight, but it will happen.

Reactions: RUNYGDVLSFAN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT