ADVERTISEMENT

This Board Nov. 13, 2007

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Courtesy of the wayback machine. Lots of OT stuff, even during the season.

A lot of screen names in the threads are no longer here.

Interesting thread on Charlie Weis.

Thread on Schiano's Bad Track Record with QBs

A thread piling on Tim Brown.

A Look at the Past

Interesting...and I still get a kick out of the Odessy-like obsession with the Meinekie/ Belk Bowl which we never ended up reaching despite going to literately every other BE bowl game slot outside of the BCS.

Joe P.

Some thoughts on the threads there -

- that Pitt game was RR's last at Rutgers Stadium
- we blew a late lead at UL to finish 7-5 taking us out of the running for Charlotte bowl and the Sun Bowl. USF went to the Sun and was blown out by Oregon, which had lost its QB (IIRC) at the point when it reached #2 a bit earlier that season. UConn went to Charlotte and lost to WF(?), while earning criticism from the bowl over disappointing ticket sales by Husky fans
- the Charlotte bowl continues to lack a name, just going from brand to brand with no real pizzazz or identity
- the 2006 Charlotte bowl had committed the BE spot to Navy in a one year agreement, due to which it lost the chance to take RU, who was ranked #16 going into the bowl season. We would have played BC (IIRC) had that agreement not been in place.
- Teel's thumb injury cost us big time that season. Without it, RU might have started out 7-0, knocking off #2 USF and rising to #2 ourselves in that wacky season where a #2 ranking was like the kiss of death (evidence WVU losing to Pitt in the final game of the season while #2 and falling out of the NC game).

...of course the reason why the BE lost the Charloette game in '06 was because Tranghese wouldn't commit the 3rd pick there, which didn't really make sense at the time being that the only other option we had was a very tenuous agreement with the Texas Bowl (who dropped the BE after a year anyway). The BE ended up committing the 3rd pick to them anyway, making the whole ordeal almost pointless.

Joe P.

Lol at a Fred Hill coached hoops team causing excitement because of a 3-0 start and a thread on the bball board asking if they can go 11-0...smh

Reactions: RUfromNJ
Glad to see RU#'s has got a weather thread going for the Pitt game!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

A few names that jumped out at me of people we don't see anymore:

BBMMTM
AreYouNUTS
tankbonnies
RUissy
NJFAN - hmmmmmmmm.....
rav2003
abcdelight - now under another name, strictly living on the CE Board
Fox23
Jonas Grumby

I notice a forum I'd forgot about - The Road Crew

Also, too bad it doesn't connect to the CE Board - would love to look at some of those discussions 7.5 years later.

...not quite Nostradamus but I did call the creation of the St. Pete's Bowl and the eventual UCF to the BE (just not the way I thought it would happen):

"Orlando has the Citrus/Capital One and the Champs Sports Bowl. Tampa only has the Outback, and IMO is a prime location for a second bowl game for a Big East team, especially with USF's growing presence down there. I also believe that UCF will be the 9th BE team within the next 5-10 years and their new stadium would be perfect for a bowl game, although I don't know the solvency of Orlando geting a 3rd bowl game (though New Orleans will do 3 the years they have the BCS title game)."

Joe P.

man I can't find one post from me on that board. I was definitely around, must not have posted as much back then....

The GRob press conference thread is funny.
=================

The latest pearls of wisdom from Coach Robinson following
their trouncing at the hands of USF. Is it any wonder his team has no
clue???

"What I tell you is, there's a lot of people out there,
the inexperience got to us. They got to us. Then there's also a few of
them out there that I wish were out there that can't be out there with
us. There's a whole bunch of them, to be honest with you. It's real.
Sometimes people don't want to hear that, but it's a fact. I've been
sitting here trying, because I hate to sit here and sound like I'm
making excuses. I'm not. I'm telling you what it is."

=================

What's better, SU now has Shafer, who is more entertaining that GRob.

GRob

Originally posted by DJ Spanky:
A few names that jumped out at me of people we don't see anymore:

BBMMTM
AreYouNUTS
tankbonnies
RUissy
NJFAN - hmmmmmmmm.....
rav2003
abcdelight - now under another name, strictly living on the CE Board
Fox23
Jonas Grumby

I notice a forum I'd forgot about - The Road Crew

Also, too bad it doesn't connect to the CE Board - would love to look at some of those discussions 7.5 years later.
I am still here.

KS- each new day I check the link, it is on a different day. Do you know why it is doing that?

Originally posted by yesrutgers01:
KS- each new day I check the link, it is on a different day. Do you know why it is doing that?
It appears to stay on the same day for me, but it could be the way it is archiving the page.

Eco- one thing I do remember was that the UL game ended up having no impact on bowl positioning as the BE bids had gone out earlier that day (I remember the ESPN scroll announcing we had accepted a bid to the International Bowl during the 1st quarter of that game). The UL loss did cost us an outside chance at a Top 25 finish (would have been 9-4/ 4-3 with a dominating bowl win in a relatively weak field that year). I know many see 2008 as a big missed opportunity but 2007 may have been the more disappointing season. The UL and Cincy losses stick out like sore thumbs and the no-show road loss at UConn was brutal.

Joe P.

I don't think I even reading the boards until 2008 or 2009. It took a year or two before my 1st post.

"Eco- one thing I do remember was that the UL game ended
up having no impact on bowl positioning as the BE bids had gone out
earlier that day (I remember the ESPN scroll announcing we had accepted a
bid to the International Bowl during the 1st quarter of that game). The
UL loss did cost us an outside chance at a Top 25 finish (would have
been 9-4/ 4-3 with a dominating bowl win in a relatively weak field that
year). I know many see 2008 as a big missed opportunity but 2007 may
have been the more disappointing season. The UL and Cincy losses stick
out like sore thumbs and the no-show road loss at UConn was brutal."

You're right, Joe. It was actually the two losses together (Cincy and UL) that cost us the better bowl, the national ranking through much of the season, and the overall loss of momentum. The UConn game was the "hurricane bowl" as I recall (ala the 1976 UConn-RU game as well) when the ball seemed to take many strange bounces. I seem to recall that special teams flubs played a big roll in our losing to the Huskies that year.

2008 was less disappointing that 2007, as expectations had dimmed somewhat and we had the great winning streak - literally blowing teams out - to end that season. And if that streak had started one week earlier - at Cincy, where we lost by 3 - it would have been RU playing in the Orange Bowl against VPI instead of the Bearcats. That was one of three occasions where RU ws just one play away from playing in a BCS bowl (along with 2006 and 2012).

Originally posted by knights1212:

How does someone go back this far or even say 2 months ago on this board? I can never figure out how to get beyond the 5 pages listed. Thanks.
As far as I know, one's posts typically only go back a week or so using the "my posts" feature after clicking on one's posts. I hadn't seen this "way back" machine thing, before - the site says:

Saved 30 times[/B] between June 30, 2012.

I assume that's it. My biggest pet peeve for years with this site has been the lack of stored content. In 2015 to have only a week's worth of posts (or less when traffic is heavy - during a game it's often one day's worth) saved is ridiculous. John O has said Rivals is going to upgrade that, but we've heard that many times in the past.

By the way, I had 11,900 posts in 2007, so I've made about 14,100 since then, or 5.2 posts per day. Didn't actually think it was that high. It's probably really about 2-3 posts per day for most days and 30+ posts per day during snowstorms and just before and after football/basketball games.

Had 219 posts back in 2007, even though I was a member of this board as
Madhat 1 since 2003 ( joined as Madhat in 2001 but forgot password after
switching ISP)

Have 8751 now with this post.

I see a look alike thread. Here's a haiku about look alike threads

Looks like fatal flaw
All faces look familiar
I saw them last year

Oh the irony. Inside the basketball 3-0 thread:

“Rutgers basketball will get a nice perception boost once we get rid of those clowns Teel and McNulty”

Lol

Reactions: kcg88
In the weather thread on that way-back machine I mentioned that in summer weather patterns, I often used what the weather was mid-week to predict a clear weekend or not.

RU#s laughed it off.. because, ya know, its a weather thread he started...

... but there is something to it.. weather patterns tend to take days to arrive and clear out.. in the summer it is fairly predictable and you just don't get a week of rain.. so my rule of thumb was if it is a rainy day on Wednesday, chances are good that Saturday will be okay.

Afternoon thunderstorms do not count. That is more a function of heat than a storm system coming in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT