ADVERTISEMENT

This will be first year we don’t stink in the BIG

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
Things are shaping up for a big season . This will be the first year where we won’t stink it up in the conference games.
Our best year in the BIG (winning percentage wise) is when we went 3-5 in 2014. And that year we got drubbed in 4 of the 5 losses and won 2 of the 3 by a combined 5 points .
Things are different this year. We won’t stink up the league and we should have our first winning BIG season within conference games in history ! Even if we lose some games , it won’t be bad drubbings like in past years. It could be a BIG season for the Knights

This is Rutgersal-esque.
The season can be a huge success even if we stub our toe coming out of the box (first road game) at Lane Stadium, a tough place to get to and a tough place for visiting teams.

Last edited:
We didn’t stink in 2014 we just lacked depth and talent at certain spots.Last season we lost to some very good teams . Michigan, Ohio State , Penn State, Wisconsin and Iowa… Had a chance to win one even two of those .

Reactions: satnom
I disagree with the premise of the thread. We didn't stink in 2014, and I feel we didn't stink last year.
Unfortunately, you are wrong. We stunk within the league and the numbers show that . But good thing is better days are ahead very soon

Reactions: RutgersSC2
Things are shaping up for a big season . This will be the first year where we won’t stink it up in the conference games.
Our best year in the BIG (winning percentage wise) is when we went 3-5 in 2014. And that year we got drubbed in 4 of the 5 losses and won 2 of the 3 by a combined 5 points .
Things are different this year. We won’t stink up the league and we should have our first winning BIG season within conference games in history ! Even if we lose some games , it won’t be bad drubbings like in past years. It could be a BIG season for the Knights
I didn’t think we stunk up the place last year . Saw much improvement .

Unfortunately, you are wrong. We stunk within the league and the numbers show that . But good thing is better days are ahead very soon

Unfortunately for you, I'm right. In 2014, we went 3-5 in the Big 10, with a nail biting 3 point loss to State Penn preventing us from being at .500 in the conference. Our other losses included major losses to #1 Ohio State (14-1), #5/6 Michigan State (11-2) and #13 Wisconsin (11-3). Last year we went 3-6 in conference, but for the first time played competitive with every Big 10 team on our schedule.

I agree 2014 we didn't stink, as already pointed out, we should have beaten State Penn (stole that 13-10 win from us). It's not like we have played the West schedule all these years. We also blew out a decent UNC team in Motor City bowl...led 37-7 or 40-7 before UNC tacked 2 cosmetic TDs to make the score closer...

I'll also include the COVID year when we went 3-6 but lost to Michigan in OT and Illinois stole a win...could have and should have been 5-4 and gone bowling.

Last year we were competitive...and beat old rival VT that used to have our number...and a depleted Miami team in bowl but still won....and led OSU at half...played really well for first 35 minutes...that said, last year, everythign broke the way we needed to get to 6 wins.

Maybe we are becoming the Detroit Lions of the B1G...

Reactions: RUTGERS95
There is a difference between win record and not stinking. Sounds like Plum is strictly looking at the win record.

You're right, 2014 and 2023 we didn't suck. 2014 we lost to some real powerhouse teams and 2023 we made all games competitive going into the 4th.
Competitive for moments is not the same as actually having a chance late in the game to win it. You are what your record says you are. Last year was a step towards being good this year

Wait. Are you now moving thr goal posts? I thought your prediction was that we would be in the playoff hunt after 8 games.

Wait. Are you now moving thr goal posts? I thought your prediction was that we would be in the playoff hunt after 8 games.
Doesn’t seem that way to me. Two distinct predictions by the same poster that could theoretically both turn out to be true. What’s the problem?

Reactions: Plum Street
Not moving the goalposts. If we are in the playoff hunt after 8 games , we aren’t stinking up the BIG

Unfortunately for you, I'm right. In 2014, we went 3-5 in the Big 10, with a nail biting 3 point loss to State Penn preventing us from being at .500 in the conference. Our other losses included major losses to #1 Ohio State (14-1), #5/6 Michigan State (11-2) and #13 Wisconsin (11-3). Last year we went 3-6 in conference, but for the first time played competitive with every Big 10 team on our schedule.
No you’re wrong . You can’t qualify if by saying we played these ranked teams. . This is the league we signed up for and they are our opponents and peers Z
If you consider 3-5 or 3-6 good records , you really are missing a few marbles. No one would think those are good. Even Mets fans

No you’re wrong . You can’t qualify if by saying we played these ranked teams. . This is the league we signed up for and they are our opponents and peers Z
If you consider 3-5 or 3-6 good records , you really are missing a few marbles. No one would think those are good. Even Mets fans
And PSU wasn’t good that year either. Basically - we beat the bad teams, got blown out by the good teams, and beat or lost close games vs the mediocre teams on that schedule.

I would say though there are different levels of stinking. That’s really the distinction. We stunk way more under Ash for example than we did last year and in 2014.

And PSU wasn’t good that year either. Basically - we beat the bad teams, got blown out by the good teams, and beat or lost close games vs the mediocre teams on that schedule.
Right …and the point of this thread is to be excited about this team and first year we will really do well within the league

When did the Sandusky scandal with it's NCAA-imposed sanctions on PSU take place? I recall playing them close one year, but I thought it was after the sanctions had had an impact on the team (and before the sanctions were lifted). But my memory sucks, so I could be wrong.

When did the Sandusky scandal with it's NCAA-imposed sanctions on PSU take place? I recall playing them close one year, but I thought it was after the sanctions had had an impact on the team (and before the sanctions were lifted). But my memory sucks, so I could be wrong.
It was that year - our first year in the conference. I think PSU was a 500ish team? They were nothing like they have been recently. Also, Michigan was completely different, enabling us to play what turned out to be more middle of the road teams.

Reactions: mildone
That was still a sandusky sanctioned team. The Sandusky stuff broke about 2012.
Their offensive line was a mess .
This was also Franklin’s first year.
were many on this board saying how Kyle flood was better than Franklin. Those were some good threads !

Right …and the point of this thread is to be excited about this team and first year we will really do well within the league
Meh. Like every season, I will wait to be excited until we start winning lots of games.

Maybe we'll do well in the league, record-wise. Maybe we won't. But if we do well because we're not playing the best this season, then, for me, that tempers the excitement some. It's still always hard to win games against Big Ten competition, so all wins will be great. But it means more to do so when playing top 25 teams.

Remember when RU MBB was beating a bunch of top 25 teams a few seasons ago? That was exciting. And that's probably a big part of the reason RU was able to recruit as well as it did for this season.

That was still a sandusky sanctioned team. The Sandusky stuff broke about 2012.
Their offensive line was a mess .
This was also Franklin’s first year.
were many on this board saying how Kyle flood was better than Franklin. Those were some good threads !
By your own metrics set forth in this thread, Flood’s team actually did have a better season that year than Franklin’s team so -what gives? PSU went 7-6 and 2-6. We went 8-5 and 3-5.

What do you mean what gives ?

By implication - I took what you said to mean that in hindsight you think it was ridiculous to presume Flood was doing better than Franklin. At that time, he was having more success. Even with the schollie restriction PSU had way more talent than us. They weren’t top 10 caliber but by all counts that was a disappointing season for him. Should’ve beaten Michigan and Maryland.

By implication - I took what you said to mean that in hindsight you think it was ridiculous to presume Flood was doing better than Franklin. At that time, he was having more success. Even with the schollie restriction PSU had way more talent than us. They weren’t top 10 caliber but by all counts that was a disappointing season for him. Should’ve beaten Michigan and Maryland.
Just pointing out how ridiculous that prediction was . It counts when people get predictions right around here :)

Franklin was also building something there, you could tell. He lost in double overtime to Ohio state that year. Two years later he wins the league. And flood was a dud like some of us thought

Just pointing out how ridiculous that prediction was . It counts when people get predictions right around here :)

Franklin was also building something there, you could tell. He lost in double overtime to Ohio state that year. Two years later he wins the league. And flood was a dud like some of us thought

eh I don’t see it that way. they only had 2 years of overlap as coaches - and both years PSU was projected to be way better than RU preseason. I don’t see Franklin shining over Flood on the field in either of those years - even 2015 considering the circumstances (no team would be successful on the field with their entire starting defensive backfield wiped out). Meanwhile we had a chance to tie at the buzzer vs Michigan State (national runner up) and lost another buzzer beater to a good Wazzu team. You can’t give credit to PSU for a “close loss” to Ohio state and not have it noted both ways. To this day, I can’t believe we were competitive in those games. We had no business being in them.

Its not like PSU was great in 2015. They went 7-6 with a 17 point loss to Temple. From a 2014-2015 resume perspective PSU won the head to heads and we otherwise had identical records in the regular seasons. Thats certainly not shining over Flood when we were supposed to be way worse than them.

eh I don’t see it that way. they only had 2 years of overlap as coaches - and both years PSU was projected to be way better than RU preseason. I don’t see Franklin shining over Flood on the field in either of those years - even 2015 considering the circumstances (no team would be successful on the field with their entire starting defensive backfield wiped out). Meanwhile we had a chance to tie at the buzzer vs Michigan State (national runner up) and lost another buzzer beater to a good Wazzu team. You can’t give credit to PSU for a “close loss” to Ohio state and not have it noted both ways. To this day, I can’t believe we were competitive in those games. We had no business being in them.

Its not like PSU was great in 2015. They went 7-6 with a 17 point loss to Temple. From a 2014-2015 resume perspective PSU won the head to heads and we otherwise had identical records in the regular seasons. Thats certainly not shining over Flood when we were supposed to be way worse than them.
Are you trying to say flood was better hire than Franklin ? I don’t think you are .
Flood was terrible here by every metric . I never wanted to hire him

Are you trying to say flood was better hire than Franklin ? I don’t think you are .
Flood was terrible here by every metric . I never wanted to hire him

No. I’m saying you can’t make the comparison you are trying to make period.

Flood was gone after 2015. Franklin’s success came in the years after that. So it’s apples to oranges. When you look at 2014 and 2015 only, Franklin wasn’t better.

Outside of the off field stuff that precipitated his firing, Flood exceeded preseason expectations in 2014 (we were projected to finish dead last) while Franklin underperformed the 9 win forecast for his team. The following year, both teams underperformed expectations (RU due to the unexpected dismissal of the defensive backfield days before the first game).

I don't view mediocrity as sucess

Nobody's arguing that. We've raised ourselves up to mediocrity after wallowing in futility in 8 of the last 10 years. Now we're looking to take the next step.

No one is arguing those are good: we're arguing the bar you set, which is that those 8-5/7-6 (3-5/3-6) records "stink".

This is what "stink" is:

Nov 24, 2018 - Michigan State 14, Rutgers 10
Nov 17, 2018 - Penn State 20, Rutgers 7
Nov 10, 2018 - Michigan 42, Rutgers 7
Nov 03, 2018 - Wisconsin 31, Rutgers 17
Oct 20, 2018 - Northwestern 18, Rutgers 15
Oct 13, 2018 - Maryland 34, Rutgers 7
Oct 06, 2018 - Illinois 38, Rutgers 17
Sep 29, 2018 - Indiana 24, Rutgers 17
Sep 22, 2018 - Buffalo 42, Rutgers 13
Sep 15, 2018 - Kansas 55, Rutgers 14
Sep 08, 2018 - Ohio State 52, Rutgers 3
Sep 01, 2018 - Rutgers 35, Texas State 7

1-11 record, 0-9 in the Big 10 with multiple blowouts, no wins against P5 teams, blowout losses to Kansas (!) and Buffalo. Games that were over at halftime leading to an exodus from the stadium.

State Penn still hadn't felt the full bite of the sanctions, and I believe they got lessoned that year (2014) as the NCAA caved. As I recall State Penn had scholarships reduced starting in 2013, so they still had their upperclassmen for the 2014 season. They also had Christian Hackenberg as their QB, who was a turnover machine that season with more INT's than TD's.

Nobody's arguing that. We've raised ourselves up to mediocrity after wallowing in futility in 8 of the last 10 years. Now we're looking to take the next step.

No one is arguing those are good: we're arguing the bar you set, which is that those 8-5/7-6 (3-5/3-6) records "stink".

This is what "stink" is:

Nov 24, 2018 - Michigan State 14, Rutgers 10
Nov 17, 2018 - Penn State 20, Rutgers 7
Nov 10, 2018 - Michigan 42, Rutgers 7
Nov 03, 2018 - Wisconsin 31, Rutgers 17
Oct 20, 2018 - Northwestern 18, Rutgers 15
Oct 13, 2018 - Maryland 34, Rutgers 7
Oct 06, 2018 - Illinois 38, Rutgers 17
Sep 29, 2018 - Indiana 24, Rutgers 17
Sep 22, 2018 - Buffalo 42, Rutgers 13
Sep 15, 2018 - Kansas 55, Rutgers 14
Sep 08, 2018 - Ohio State 52, Rutgers 3
Sep 01, 2018 - Rutgers 35, Texas State 7

1-11 record, 0-9 in the Big 10 with multiple blowouts, no wins against P5 teams, blowout losses to Kansas (!) and Buffalo. Games that were over at halftime leading to an exodus from the stadium.

State Penn still hadn't felt the full bite of the sanctions, and I believe they got lessoned that year (2014) as the NCAA caved. As I recall State Penn had scholarships reduced starting in 2013, so they still had their upperclassmen for the 2014 season. They also had Christian Hackenberg as their QB, who was a turnover machine that season with more INT's than TD's.
Really stinking and just stinking is different , I give you that . The thread was in relation to our conference mates . 3-5 or 3-6 are not good records.

3-5 or 3-6 are not good records

udwGvWD.gif

Doesn’t seem that way to me. Two distinct predictions by the same poster that could theoretically both turn out to be true. What’s the problem?

No problem. Yes logic would dictate that both could be true. However from forum standpoint coming from a poster who continually champions how legendary he is based on his predictions it is essentially hedging or moving the goal-posts to go from a prediction of "Playoff contention" to a different prediction of "Not suck".

No problem. Yes logic would dictate that both could be true. However from forum standpoint coming from a poster who continually champions how legendary he is based on his predictions it is essentially hedging or moving the goal-posts to go from a prediction of "Playoff contention" to a different prediction of "Not suck".
Yes , you now disagree legendary predictions doesn’t make a poster a legend ? Unbelievable

The prediction is still playoff contention .
Capisce?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT