ADVERTISEMENT

Time to Give Greg Schiano an Extension

Blah Blah Blah. I am a successful leader so you can go BS someone else. It’s easy to cast aspersions in generalities, but we both know that you don’t know wtf you’re talking about RutgerSamir, so cut the BS.

To achieve, you need enough talent to do so, and we don’t have enough of it. Anyone with a modicum of common sense who has watched our games should be able to see that. That’s the bottomline.

He is not the easiest person to work for, but he gets the most out of people. It’s not a coincidence that two of his former assistants, PJ Fleck and Mario Cristobal, have also gone onto to be Head Coaches.
GS’s strengths are recruiting and developing talent, and making sure people make the most of their ability. He transforms kids into men and gives them the tools to be successful in life. And that’s why he is perfect for this role.
It's commonplace for those without real evidence or data to make arguments such as yours. And the fact that you sound triggered just proves my point even more. Your argument is all qualitative and subjective, completely disregarding any ground truth, meaningful benchmarks of success or context from his 20 year career. Real results don't lie, and it's obvious you're living in a microcosm of false narratives, baseless assumptions and clouded denial about GSs career performances. One day you'll get it, although you probably still won't admit you're wrong.

Last edited:
It's commonplace for those without real evidence or data to make arguments such as yours. And the fact that you sound triggered just proves my point even more. Your argument is all qualitative and subjective, completely disregarding any ground truth, meaningful benchmarks of success or context from his 20 year career. Real results don't lie, and it's obvious you're living in a microcosm of false narratives, baseless assumptions and clouded denial about GSs career performances. One day you'll get it, although you probably still won't admit you're wrong.

Theres plenty of real evidence and data for those willing to look:

3 Rutgers First Round Draft Picks:
- Anthony Davis
- Devin McCourty
- Kenny Britt

2 NFL All Pros
- Ray Rice
- Devin McCourty

2 Div IA Head Coaches in Coaching Tree
- PJ Fleck
- Mario Cristobal

- Numerous draft picks

- inherited 3-8 team and transformed it into an 11-2 team in 2006

- winning seasons from 2005 - 2014 thanks to the foundation he built, excluding 2010

- Participation in the following bowls:
- Insight bowl 2005
- Texas Bowl 2006
- Toronto Bowl 2007
- Papa Johns Bowl 2008
- beef O’Bradys bowl 2009
- Pinstripe Bowl 2011

- 5-1 Bowl Record

Reactions: NJHoops190
Gota give Al credit, 15 years in and his trolling skills still fool a lot of us

He’s now getting mainstream attention - and in the words of Prime, publicity is never a bad thing

Kudos to my dude Al - keep it up brother!

Blah Blah Blah. I am a successful leader so you can go BS someone else. It’s easy to cast aspersions in generalities, but we both know that you don’t know wtf you’re talking about RutgerSamir, so cut the BS.

To achieve, you need enough talent to do so, and we don’t have enough of it. Anyone with a modicum of common sense who has watched our games should be able to see that. That’s the bottomline.

He is not the easiest person to work for, but he gets the most out of people. It’s not a coincidence that two of his former assistants, PJ Fleck and Mario Cristobal, have also gone onto to be Head Coaches.
GS’s strengths are recruiting and developing talent, and making sure people make the most of their ability. He transforms kids into men and gives them the tools to be successful in life. And that’s why he is perfect for this role.
If we don’t have talent it’s because the head coach couldn’t get it. That’s his job.

- Anthony Davis
- Devin McCourty
- Kenny Britt

2 NFL All Pros
- Ray Rice
- Devin McCourty

- PJ Fleck
- Mario Cristobal

- Numerous draft picks

- winning seasons from 2005 - 2014 thanks to the foundation he built, excluding 2010

- Insight bowl 2005
- Texas Bowl 2006
- Toronto Bowl 2007
- Papa Johns Bowl 2008
- Pinstripe Bowl 2011

- 5-1 Bowl Record

None of that matter when evaluating HC Schiano 2.0

Offense was very good in 2007 with OC McNulty.
And then we had the worst offense in the country in 2018 and 2019.

It's sad to see someone that doesn't know how to identify genuine knowledge, skills and ability in a leader. It's also quite obvious you haven't worked for or been exposed firsthand to individuals who innately understand how to cultivate success at an organizational level.

Those of us that have had executive positions working for highly successful managers in the military, globally impactful corporations and non-profit organizations understand that GS is subpar in almost every relevant attribute. It's understandable how you have been fooled by Schiano.. he comes of as a good salesman to those in our fanbase who haven't spent their careers around ultra talented leaders.
Speak for yourself. There’s a number of executives on this board who are laughing right now at you.

Reactions: rutgersal
Gota give Al credit, 15 years in and his trolling skills still fool a lot of us

He’s now getting mainstream attention - and in the words of Prime, publicity is never a bad thing

Kudos to my dude Al - keep it up brother!
Except I don't think it was planned.

Reactions: RutgersSam

- Anthony Davis
- Devin McCourty
- Kenny Britt

2 NFL All Pros
- Ray Rice
- Devin McCourty

- PJ Fleck
- Mario Cristobal

- Numerous draft picks

- Insight bowl 2005
- Texas Bowl 2006
- Toronto Bowl 2007
- Papa Johns Bowl 2008
- Pinstripe Bowl 2011

- 5-1 Bowl Record
Again you only pick the highlights that fit your biased pre-narrative. GS has coached for 20 years, and has been effectively fired in 2 of his 3 majors jobs. You completely disregard any context in his first stint with Rutgers.. his strength of schedule (abysmal), quality of the conference at the time (well below average) and the fact that mediocre programs in bad conferences constantly make bowl games. And you also ignore the fact that any coach with the tenure of Schiano has NFL players from the program. That's nothing new by a long shot, unless you live in a vacuum or only superficially follow college football (which is why many Rutgers fans are clueless when it comes to building a winning culture).

Again, you're blinded by your unmitigated love of Schiano and because of this, Schiano supporters are doing a tremendous disservice to Rutgers as a program by making fantastical and unfounded claims about his abilities, all of which happened in a different era, against a much different level of competition and is the 10% exception in his otherwise poor career as a whole.

It's the medical definition of cognitive bias.

Will GS occasionally win games against Big 10 teams? Of course. Just by sheer statistics this will happen. But he's never proven to be able to beat good (and certainly not great) teams consistently. He has shown that he piles up his wins against bottoms feeders and teams having poor seasons. You can pull up the exceptions over a 20 year career if you like, but that just further weakens your argument.

Anyway, you can keep cheering for a losing coach. More power to you. I hope one day you can see the complete dissonance you're displaying. I think you've worn blinders for so long, you yourself can't discern between your well-documented baseless hyperbole and the real ground truth.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
I ignore him, wish others would.

This thread has:
Al's supporters
sports-fans-dancing-sports-fans.gif

champagne-cheers.gif

those not fond of his posts
giphy2.gif

angry-girl-tantrums-0o4pgsoc22cni711.gif

Again you only pick the highlights that fit your biased pre-narrative. GS has coached for 20 years, and has been effectively fired in 2 of his 3 majors jobs. You completely disregard any context in his first stint with Rutgers.. his strength of schedule (abysmal), quality of the conference at the time (well below average) and the fact that mediocre programs in bad conferences constantly make bowl games. And you also ignore the fact that any coach with the tenure of Schiano has NFL players from the program. That's nothing new by a long shot, unless you live in a vacuum or only superficially follow college football (which is why many Rutgers fans are clueless when it comes to building a winning culture).

Again, you're blinded by your unmitigated love of Schiano and because of this, Schiano supporters are doing a tremendous disservice to Rutgers as a program by making fantastical and unfounded claims about his abilities, all of which happened in a different era, against a much different level of competition and is the 10% exception in his otherwise poor career as a whole.

Anyway, you can keep cheering for a losing coach. More power to you. I hope one day you can see the complete dissonance you're displaying. I think you've worn blinders for so long, you yourself can't see the difference between your well documented baseless hyperbole and the real ground truth.

You asked for facts and I gave you facts, and now you’re crying about context.

Coaches only have long tenures if they’re successful. Unsuccessful coaches have short tenures. Schiano has produced a number of NFL players because of his knowledge gained from prior experiences.

Who cares if he’s been fired from 2 of 3 major jobs. It’s ironically the only fact you’ve provided. He has the skillset to flourish in his current role.

Your ignorance of Rutgers Football History is astounding. Rutgers has never had a strong strength of schedule, until we joined the Big Ten. And aside from a few notable seasons of greatness, Rutgers Football has been largely mediocre, since inception with a few seasons of greatness. It was not too long ago that we had trouble beating Princeton! And Princeton owns the all time series record, 53-17-1. So compared to the baseline of Rutgers historical averages, what Schiano has been able to accomplish has been outstanding.

Greg Schiano built this program, and he is the biggest reason Rutgers is in the Big Ten. He and Bob Mulcahy, made Rutgers Football worthy of Big Ten Consideration.

I watched Greg Schiano help Butch Davis build a National Championship Caliber team at Miami, and I have no doubt he can do the same for Rutgers, once he gets appropriate support. For now, we’re concerned with building a respectable football program, and we are on our way.

None of that matter when evaluating HC Schiano 2.0

Offense was very good in 2007 with OC McNulty.
And then we had the worst offense in the country in 2018 and 2019.

I’ll be ready to evaluate Schiano 2.0 in 2025. Till then we’ll be building the program. You don’t judge a cake till it’s baked, and that’s the same case here.

Will GS occasionally win games against Big 10 teams? Of course. Just by sheer statistics this will happen. But he's never proven to be able to beat good (and certainly not great teams) consistently. He has shown that he piles up his wins against bottoms feeders and teams that are having poor seasons. You can pull up the exceptions over a 20 year career if you like, but that just further weakens your argument.

Anyway, you can keep cheering for a losing coach. More power to you. I hope one day you can see the complete dissonance you're displaying. I think you've worn blinders for so long, you yourself can't see the difference between your well documented baseless hyperbole and the real ground truth.
It comes down to how you feel about Schiano's first stint at Rutgers. If you think it was a huge success, as many on this board seem to, you'll stick with him (to the bitter end, apparently). If you think something less, you're probably losing patience, have little confidence going forward, don't care much about draft picks if they didn't win anything big in college, and don't think even a re-creation of his level of success the first time will make much of a splash.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Except I don't think it was planned.
Guys had the same schict since at least 2010. I’ve met him - super smart and has his act together

Some of it is enthusiasm but a lot of it is a rouse.

Personally I think it’s funny and isn’t hurting anyone

It comes down to how you feel about Schiano's first stint at Rutgers. If you think it was a huge success, as many on this board seem to, you'll stick with him (to the bitter end, apparently). If you think something less, you're probably losing patience, have little confidence going forward, don't care much about draft picks if they didn't win anything big in college, and don't think even a re-creation of his level of success the first time will make much of a splash.
you and I have most certainly had our battles on this forum over a myriad of topics but when it comes to football, I could not agree with you more. 100%. testify brother

Has anyone ever seen rutgersAl and Mike Lindell in the same place at the same time?🤔

A success if you feel turning a terrible program into a respected one is the measure you judge a coach by.
If you expect greatness made from futility and that isn't achieved by the HC, some might consider that failing and hold a grudge against that HC if he left and came back again trying pull the program out of the garbage heap a second time.

I don't expect greatness from Greg2, but demand he restore Rutgers back to respectability
and I think he can do that.
As for building a great program up there with the best,I have my doubts and after RU FB is a respectable program again, I'll staret expecting Schiano to move RU into the heavyweight class .
If that proves too hard for him to do, will expect the RU AD to spend what it takes to bring n someone that can and give that HC all the support needed to became a top program.
But I'll give Schiano the time to build and not expect instant gratification, which in my opinion, is before his 5th year..
Year 5 bowl game expected and tear 7 a program that is hitting the big time and looking like it will be threat to play for the B1G title and be a playoff contender

Greg1 couldn't make RU into a grat program , but he did make a respected one out of the joke it was before he came along , giving its fans the type of expectations that top program fans have.
Because of those exceptations some here feel Gewg1 was a failure and figure Greg2 will be the same and refuse him the time to build a fairly good .program
They already decided he failed , some decised he would the day his name was mentioned as a possible replacement for Ash

You asked for facts and I gave you facts, and now you’re crying about context.

Coaches only have long tenures if they’re successful. Unsuccessful coaches have short tenures. Schiano has produced a number of NFL players because of his knowledge gained from prior experiences.

Who cares if he’s been fired from 2 of 3 major jobs. It’s ironically the only fact you’ve provided. He has the skillset to flourish in his current role.

Your ignorance of Rutgers Football History is astounding. Rutgers has never had a strong strength of schedule, until we joined the Big Ten. And aside from a few notable seasons of greatness, Rutgers Football has been largely mediocre, since inception with a few seasons of greatness. It was not too long ago that we had trouble beating Princeton! And Princeton owns the all time series record, 53-17-1. So compared to the baseline of Rutgers historical averages, what Schiano has been able to accomplish has been outstanding.

Greg Schiano built this program, and he is the biggest reason Rutgers is in the Big Ten. He and Bob Mulcahy, made Rutgers Football worthy of Big Ten Consideration.

I watched Greg Schiano help Butch Davis build a National Championship Caliber team at Miami, and I have no doubt he can do the same for Rutgers, once he gets appropriate support. For now, we’re concerned with building a respectable football program, and we are on our way.
Al, hate to break it to you, but facts and context work together in the real world and both are inextricably linked if you're actually searching for the truth. In isolation they mean zilch. Like I said several times, you'll need to reframe your entire hypothesis with a new way of thinking. You just keep going in circles trying to justify Schiano being a capable coach in the Big 10.

way too many of you are ok with average and mediocrity and apparently suffer from a form of abused fan syndrome. This isn't 2006, we are not rebuilding a program, we are not devoid of talent

we lack capable coaching, we lack and fanbase that demands excellence hence why it's 'ok' to suck

no one here is expecting to win the national championship but we should have been bowling this year as evidenced by the games, game management, personnel management and use of talent we've got.

if you expect small results, you'll get small results and a coach like Greg

Not so fast Al. A winning record or at least a Bowl game first.
Exactly. What has this thread morphed into?

The relevant criteria for extension, in order:

1. Record of success. None demonstrated. Fail. No extension. B1G W-L record worse each year.

2. Recruits want to know Coach will be here. Greg has five more years on his contract. No need to extend.

3. Worry about leaving, coach has better alternative. Nope.

SUMMARY- There is ZERO reason for an extension. Want Greg to stay and hope he turns it around. Until then, no extension and no raise.

Reactions: RutgersSam
A success if you feel turning a terrible program into a respected one is the measure you judge a coach by.
If you expect greatness made from futility and that isn't achieved by the HC, some might consider that failing and hold a grudge against that HC if he left and came back again trying pull the program out of the garbage heap a second time.

I don't expect greatness from Greg2, but demand he restore Rutgers back to respectability
and I think he can do that.
As for building a great program up there with the best,I have my doubts and after RU FB is a respectable program again, I'll staret expecting Schiano to move RU into the heavyweight class .
If that proves too hard for him to do, will expect the RU AD to spend what it takes to bring n someone that can and give that HC all the support needed to became a top program.
But I'll give Schiano the time to build and not expect instant gratification, which in my opinion, is before his 5th year..
Year 5 bowl game expected and tear 7 a program that is hitting the big time and looking like it will be threat to play for the B1G title and be a playoff contender

Greg1 couldn't make RU into a grat program , but he did make a respected one out of the joke it was before he came along , giving its fans the type of expectations that top program fans have.
Because of those exceptations some here feel Gewg1 was a failure and figure Greg2 will be the same and refuse him the time to build a fairly good .program
They already decided he failed , some decised he would the day his name was mentioned as a possible replacement for Ash

How can turning a program from roughly #110 to #15/#35 be anything less than a success?

He started back at #110. Let's see what happens by Year 5. It's not a success yet.

It's sad to see someone that doesn't know how to identify genuine knowledge, skills and ability in a leader. It's also quite obvious you haven't worked for or been exposed firsthand to individuals who innately understand how to cultivate success at an organizational level.

Those of us that have had executive positions working for highly successful managers in the military, globally impactful corporations and non-profit organizations understand that GS is subpar in almost every relevant attribute. It's understandable how you have been fooled by Schiano.. he comes of as a good salesman to those in our fanbase who haven't spent their careers around ultra talented leaders.
‘Our fan base’- you mean Pedd state? You aren’t fooling anyone Sam

To achieve, you need enough talent to do so, and we don’t have enough of it.

GS’s strengths are recruiting and developing talent
Al,

You literally contradicted yourself within the same post….

So if Greg’s strengths are recruiting and development, how is it a full 3 years in you are talking about the offense as though he is starting at Day 1, as though he hasn’t been recruiting offense the last 3 years, as though the Gleason hire wasn’t entirely his decision.

Al, I mean this sincerely, you are going to make a wonderful husband one day. You’re undying allegiance to something you want is unparalleled, and there is no doubt in my mind that once you find Mrs. RutgersAl that you will show the same type of resolve and determination towards her in spite of any flaws. But my god man, save it for your girl, not your football coach

Reactions: brgRC90

Will GS occasionally win games against Big 10 teams? Of course. Just by sheer statistics this will happen. But he's never proven to be able to beat good (and certainly not great) teams consistently. He has shown that he piles up his wins against bottoms feeders and teams having poor seasons. You can pull up the exceptions over a 20 year career if you like, but that just further weakens your argument.

Anyway, you can keep cheering for a losing coach. More power to you. I hope one day you can see the complete dissonance you're displaying. I think you've worn blinders for so long, you yourself can't discern the difference between your well-documented baseless hyperbole and the real ground truth.
Oh, I see. I didn't realize that the only proper way to handle the situation, as you've expressed it, is to be as negative and denigrating towards the coach as humanly possible. Along with insulting everybody not being equally as aggressive as you about denigrating the coach.

Bottom line: if we're not wallowing in hopeless misery while endlessly bashing GS like you, then we're dumb. Is that it?

Last edited:
The hiring of Kirk Ciarocca is akin to pulling a rabbit out of the hat, despite low expectations, and this puts us on a path to one day competing for the Big Ten Championship.

For one thing, and most importantly, this hire sets our offensive identity. We are going to run the ball and win with Northeast toughness. Minnesota’s Mohamed Ibrahim ran for 1,655 yards and 20 touchdowns this past season. Before he leaves Rutgers, and assuming he isn’t poached, Sam Brown will put up similar numbers.

If you just focus on the resume and not the name, he has built impressive offenses at Western Michigan and Minnesota. The. Bottomline is we hired away an offensive coordinator of a 9 win Big Ten team. It was so important to hire someone who knew what it took to be successful on offense in the Big Ten. One day, we will have a highly productive offense as well.

He will bring that success to Rutgers in time, as this is not a quick fix situation. Defensive recruiting was prioritized in the ‘20 and ‘21 classes. And many of the offensive players that were Recruited in those classes did not work out. So we will be heavily relying on ‘22, ‘23, and subsequent classes, to build the offense, which will take time.

I’m projecting Rutgers to be in the 4-6 win band for the next couple of years, before breaking out in ‘25. By then, this offense will be potent, averaging more than 30 points

‘25 Offense
WR Famah Toure, Thomas Amankwaa
WR Dylan Braithwaite, Vilay Nakkoun
TE Mike Higgins, Deondre Johnson
LT Dante Chin or Jacob Allen or Dominic Rivera
LG Kwabena Asamoah or Mozell Williams
C Gus Zilinskas or Kwabena Asamoah
RG John Stone or Nelson Monegro
RT Emir Stinette or Taj White
WR Rashad Rochelle
QB Gavin Wimsatt, Ajani Shepherd
RB Sam Brown, Jason Benjamin

By ‘25, we will have an offense averaging > 30 points a game, 1500 yards on the ground, and at least 2,000 yards passing.

For putting us on the road to success, Greg Schiano deserves to be rewarded with a contract extension. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Stop

Reactions: Knight Shift
way too many of you are ok with average and mediocrity and apparently suffer from a form of abused fan syndrome. This isn't 2006, we are not rebuilding a program, we are not devoid of talent

we lack capable coaching, we lack and fanbase that demands excellence hence why it's 'ok' to suck

no one here is expecting to win the national championship but we should have been bowling this year as evidenced by the games, game management, personnel management and use of talent we've got.

Every team playing NCAA D1 football should go bowling. And many of them have rabidly demanding fanbases and yet don't always go bowling. Like Texas, for example.

While it's true that having a fanbase that donates huge sums of money every year can make it much easier fire coaches constantly, even when programs do that, it often doesn't work out. In any event, RUFB does not have that sort of fanbase. That's our reality. And no amount of yelling at folks on message boards is going to change that.

But don't let that stop you from trying. 😃

I’ll be ready to evaluate Schiano 2.0 in 2025. Till then we’ll be building the program. You don’t judge a cake till it’s baked, and that’s the same case here.

Wait I'm confused.
You'll be ready to evaluate in 2025.
But you want to give an extension now?

How are you giving him an extension without an evaluation?
Obviously there has to be some sort of evaluation before an extension could be given.

• Haha
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Wait I'm confused.

Obviously there has to be some sort of evaluation before an extension could be given.
Pay Me Kim Kardashian GIF by GQ

If we don’t have talent it’s because the head coach couldn’t get it. That’s his job.

The coach got defensive talent in the first few classes. Offensive players didn’t pan out. But we’ve landed decent offensive talent in the ‘22 and ‘23 classes so we’re on our way

Al, hate to break it to you, but facts and context work together in the real world and both are inextricably linked if you're actually searching for the truth. In isolation they mean zilch. Like I said several times, you'll need to reframe your entire hypothesis with a new way of thinking. You just keep going in circles trying to justify Schiano being a capable coach in the Big 10.

You don’t understand Rutgers Football’s context which is why your expectations are unreasonable. Do better Mr. Executive.

We are probably not bowling because there isn’t enough offensive talent to compete with our Big Ten peers. This is the #1 issue which is being rectified.

Wait I'm confused.

I already completed my evaluation and believe he deserves an extension, no salary increase. The ‘25 evaluation will likely result in a significant salary increase.

We are probably not bowling because there isn’t enough offensive talent to compete with our Big Ten peers. This is the #1 issue which is being rectified.
And you know what? You don't get a cookie or a reward in life until you show results, not the POTENTIAL for results. Al, your enthusiasm is admirable, but your thought process is way off base here. You have not responded to a single one of my posts where I point out Greg meets NONE of the criteria that merits an extension. One of the biggest ones is recruits wanting to know the HC will be at the team their entire college career. Greg has FIVE MORE YEARS on his contract. Please stop with this and admit it is not the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT