ADVERTISEMENT

Time to Give Greg Schiano an Extension

And you know what? You don't get a cookie or a reward in life until you show results, not the POTENTIAL for results. Al, your enthusiasm is admirable, but your thought process is way off base here. You have not responded to a single one of my posts where I point out Greg meets NONE of the criteria that merits an extension. One of the biggest ones is recruits wanting to know the HC will be at the team their entire college career. Greg has FIVE MORE YEARS on his contract. Please stop with this and admit it is not the time.
well one #1 might be: that in his 2nd year of return trip Rutgers improved enough under him to qualify for a bowl game , even if far lower standards than usual for eligibility ..
Improvement in year 1 and 2 from what the team was before he came back might not earn an extension, but doesn't deserves disrespect and ignoring improvement made.

Team's regression in year 3 makes for no thought of extending and complaints about taking a step backwards

I already completed my evaluation and believe he deserves an extension, no salary increase. The ‘25 evaluation will likely result in a significant salary increase.
An extension on an 8 year contract after 3 years and a 4 win season when they ranked 102. Good thing you're not AD.

Reactions: RutgersSam
OP is a clown.
Schiano Overpaid for a retread.
Schiano will get fired in 3 years. He’s a terrible micromanaging game day coach. He hasn’t shown anything different from his previous stint here. What a joke.

And you know what? You don't get a cookie or a reward in life until you show results, not the POTENTIAL for results. Al, your enthusiasm is admirable, but your thought process is way off base here. You have not responded to a single one of my posts where I point out Greg meets NONE of the criteria that merits an extension. One of the biggest ones is recruits wanting to know the HC will be at the team their entire college career. Greg has FIVE MORE YEARS on his contract. Please stop with this and admit it is not the time.

After this year, Schiano will have fewer than five years left on his deal, so it’s important to be proactive and reaffirm our commitment to him. Recruits are going to be told that he is going to be fired due the less than stellar results on the field.

Schiano has shown results. The highest average attendance EVER, for a football season. Highest game attendance EVER.

The fanbase is responding to an improving product.

And we are also seeing tangible results on the field as Rutgers was ranking 37th in total defense, despite playing a grueling schedule.

No doubt, the offense still needs work, but we are making progress. With Wimsatt and Brown, we have two important cornerstones of what will ultimately be a successful offense. Once the OL from the ‘22 and ‘23 classes have been developed, we will be good to go.

The results have not been what we’ve wanted, but I firmly believe we are on the right track and have the appropriate direction. I believe significant results will be shown in 2025.

After this year, Schiano will have fewer than five years left on his deal, so it’s important to be proactive and reaffirm our commitment to him. Recruits are going to be told that he is going to be fired due the less than stellar results on the field.

Schiano has shown results. The highest average attendance EVER, for a football season. Highest game attendance EVER.

And we are also seeing tangible results on the field as Rutgers was ranking 37th in total defense, despite playing a grueling schedule.

No doubt, the offense still needs work, but we are making progress. With Wimsatt and Brown, we have two important cornerstones of what will ultimately be a successful offense. Once the OL from the ‘22 and ‘23 classes have been developed, we will be good to go.

The results have not been what we’ve wanted, but I firmly believe we are on the right track and have the appropriate direction. I believe significant results will be shown in 2025.

Those of us who actually go the games and have two working eyes don’t/didn’t see what that says.

Sales? Sure. But even that is a little suspect.

Real butts in the seats? Not so much.🤷‍♂️

Al, respectfully, you keep referring to 2025, what happens in 2026 when Brown and Gavin are gone? Do we spend 6 years building one decent team to then restart the clock?

Nope. You are what your record says. B1G W-L
2020: 3-6
2021: 2-7
2022: 1-8

Nobody in their right mind judges progress by statistics, and for that matter a meaningless statistic such as total defense. NOBODY cares about that stat except for glad handers like you. Here are two stats that matter a lot because they determine whether a team wins or loses:

Red Zone Defense:
2018: #46
2019: #61
2020:#107
2021:#30
2022:#131 DEAD LAST

We were actually better under Ash on Red Zone Defense.

Scoring Defense:
2018: #89
2019: #123
2020: #83
2021: #56
2022: #98

Looks like regression on key defensive stats too, al. And not a great improvement of Ash.

Penalty yards/game:
2018: #82
2019: #78
2020: #95
2021: #14
2022: #116

More regression al. That's a horrific stat for a team with the worst red zone defense in the nation. Better under Ash here too.

Scoring Offense:
2018: #129 LAST
2019: #129 SECOND TO LAST
2020: #80
2021: #120
2022: #124

More regression, al. But you can celebrate Greg has us 5 spots ahead of Ash's offense.

#Scoring matters.
#Winning matters
#NothingElseMatters

I’m not in agreement to give GS an extension at this point but the crap 2022 and below expectations 2021 results had a lot more to do with Ash’s terrible recruiting, especially on the OL. Greg inherited a looming problem of few good future upperclassmen to play in 2021 and 2022. He patched things up with transfers as best anyone could.

All things considered 2021 and 2022 were better than I thought they would be at the time of Ash’s firing. Back then I thought we would be horrible once ‘21 and ‘22 came. The next two years are what I’ll judge Greg by.

Last edited:
Al, respectfully, you keep referring to 2025, what happens in 2026 when Brown and Gavin are gone? Do we spend 6 years building one decent team to then restart the clock?

We get the Rutgers Football Fieldhouse by ‘26 and we will have recruited the next Gavin and Brown or

Nobody in their right mind judges progress by statistics, and for that matter a meaningless statistic such as total defense. NOBODY cares about that stat except for glad handers like you. Here are two stats that matter a lot because they determine whether a team wins or loses:

Red Zone Defense:

Scoring Defense:

Looks like regression on key defensive stats too, al. And not a great improvement of Ash.

Penalty yards/game:

More regression al. That's a horrific stat for a team with the worst red zone defense in the nation. Better under Ash here too.

Scoring Offense:

More regression, al. But you can celebrate Greg has us 5 spots ahead of Ash's offense.

#Scoring matters.
#Winning matters
#NothingElseMatters

None of this matters to me because we don’t have the talent needed to effectively compete.

talent is the #1 issue. With the caliber of kid we’re recruiting, we’re going to have a significantly high number of washouts. It’s common sense. If you have a high number of high caliber athletes in your class, you’ll have a high chance of a good number of kids working out. This is why it is so difficult to coach at Rutgers. You have to work harder to achieve less results. This is what the common fan doesn’t understand.

We might hire someone else, who is better at X’s and O’s, but we’ll never get anyone who can replicate Schiano’s recruiting. Terry Shea was great with X’s and O’s. He just couldn’t recruit and recruiting is the lifeblood of college football success.

You’re either getting the talent, or you’re not. Greg demonstrated the ability to consistently get high end talent when he was at the University of Miami and Ohio State. At Miami, he recruited the #1 player in the nation DJ Williams.

What’s the difference between those situations and us? The brand, level of support, facilities, and campus aesthetic. We are building the program, facilities, and ultimately the brand.

If he gets the needed support , such as the Fieldhouse and help with NIL, he will land the high end talent consistently, rather than once in a blue moon. He has shown that time and time again.

That’s why for me, there’s no Rutgers Coach but Schiano. He played a prominent role in building one national Championship Team at the University of Miami. He can do the same for Rutgers.

He knows what the problems are and knows how to fix them. And will be able to fix them even if he doesn’t get the support, but it will take longer.

Once the requisite talent is in place, then we can worry about the results are.

None of this matters to me because we don’t have the talent needed to effectively compete.

talent is the #1 issue. With the caliber of kid we’re recruiting, we’re going to have a significantly high number of washouts. It’s common sense. If you have a high number of high caliber athletes in your class, you’ll have a high chance of a good number of kids working out. This is why it is so difficult to coach at Rutgers. You have to work harder to achieve less results. This is what the common fan doesn’t understand.

We might hire someone else, who is better at X’s and O’s, but we’ll never get anyone who can replicate Schiano’s recruiting. Terry Shea was great with X’s and O’s. He just couldn’t recruit and recruiting is the lifeblood of college football success.

You’re either getting the talent, or you’re not. Greg demonstrated the ability to consistently get high end talent when he was at the University of Miami and Ohio State. At Miami, he recruited the #1 player in the nation DJ Williams.

What’s the difference between those situations and us? The brand, level of support, facilities, and campus aesthetic. We are building the program, facilities, and ultimately the brand.

If he gets the needed support , such as the Fieldhouse and help with NIL, he will land the high end talent consistently, rather than once in a blue moon. He has shown that time and time again.

That’s why for me, there’s no Rutgers Coach but Schiano. He played a prominent role in building one national Championship Team at the University of Miami. He can do the same for Rutgers.

He knows what the problems are and knows how to fix them. And will be able to fix them even if he doesn’t get the support, but it will take longer.

Once the requisite talent is in place, then we can worry about the results are.
A lot of contradictory statements and illogical fallacies in that post. For example, you say it's talent, and then you praise recruiting. More backsliding and changing your narrative because you realize your premise is flawed. Quit while you are way behind.

For example, you say it's talent, and then you praise recruiting.

It IS the talent and the recruiting results ARE satisfactory. How is this possible?

Because in each recruiting class, not including transfers, you can only replace 25 scholarships max. In our ‘20 class, we had 22 commitments, and 12 of those players are currently contributing. That provides a yield of 54.5%, which is pretty good.

Now people will come back with, “the transfer portal should have allowed the coach to improve results quickly”

Sure, if everything was equal and we could recruit all the transfers that everyone else does, we could see results quickly. The issue is we don’t have access to the best transfers due to lack of nil support and program reputation. We’re getting kids who need further development, like LT Willie Tyler, who struggled at times last year.

That’s why I’m looking to ‘25 before we’re fully competitive. Once Schiano gets all his people in here, I’m sure we’ll all be satisfied with the results.

It IS the talent and the recruiting results ARE satisfactory. How is this possible?

Because in each recruiting class, not including transfers, you can only replace 25 scholarships max. In our ‘20 class, we had 22 commitments, and 12 of those players are currently contributing. That provides a yield of 54.5%, which is pretty good.

Now people will come back with, “the transfer portal should have allowed the coach to improve results quickly”

Sure, if everything was equal and we could recruit all the transfers that everyone else does, we could see results quickly. The issue is we don’t have access to the best transfers due to lack of nil support and program reputation. We’re getting kids who need further development, like LT Willie Tyler, who struggled at times last year.

That’s why I’m looking to ‘25 before we’re fully competitive. Once Schiano gets all his people in here, I’m sure we’ll all be satisfied with the results.
You have failed to address any of the points I made above. Every time someone counters your delusional post, you pivot to something else. This approach discredits your opinion.

There is no 25 cap any more. Was removed in May 2022. And many schools that utilized the portal went way over that limit prior to removal.

Either Al needs therapy or he's engaging in a brilliant disinformation campaign. There's absolutely no way he can be this removed from reality, so just take his posts with a grain of salt everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: brgRC90
You have failed to address any of the points I made above. Every time someone counters your delusional post, you pivot to something else. This approach discredits your opinion.

I responded directly to your point that recruiting can be good while overall talent can be insufficient. There’s nothing more that I can do and sorry for my inability to connect with you.

Either Al needs therapy or he's engaging in a brilliant disinformation campaign. There's absolutely no way he can be this removed from reality, so just take his posts with a grain of salt everyone.
He must be Schiano's agent

• Haha
Reactions: RUTGERS95
There is no 25 cap any more. Was removed in May 2022. And many schools that utilized the portal went way over that limit prior to removal.

There is still an 85 player limit. We’re currently at 19 commitments, excluding transfers and will probably end up somewhere between 23 and 25 in terms of incoming HS kids.

There is still an 85 player limit. We’re currently at 19 commitments, excluding transfers and will probably end up somewhere between 23 and 25 in terms of incoming HS kids.
Didn’t say there wasn’t an 85 limit. You said “Because in each recruiting class, not including transfers, you can only replace 25 scholarships max.” That’s what I responded to. Easy to turn the roster over without the 25 limit. But difficult to manage the 85.

I responded directly to your point that recruiting can be good while overall talent can be insufficient. There’s nothing more that I can do and sorry for my inability to connect with you.
It's not a talent issue, it's a coaching issue. See the Minnesota blowout, the loss to Nebraska, the loss to Iowa, the close games against BC and Temple (Temple!!!!). You are off base here. Your enthusiasm is admirable but not grounded in reality.

It's not a talent issue, it's a coaching issue. See the Minnesota blowout, the loss to Nebraska, the loss to Iowa, the close games against BC and Temple (Temple!!!!). You are off base here. Your enthusiasm is admirable but not grounded in reality.

The offense finished roughly 128. The defense finished 37th. The coaching issues on the offensive side of the ball is being rectified with the replacement of the OC and other positions. What will remain is a talent issue.

The offense finished roughly 128. The defense finished 37th. The coaching issues on the offensive side of the ball is being rectified with the replacement of the OC and other positions. What will remain is a talent issue.
For goodness sake the defense is not 37th. Scoring defense matters than some meaningless statistic.

Yeah I mean come on already. There was not a more anemic, lethargic, and quiet honesty embarassing offense in college football this year. At least that I saw.

Maybe we can't put talent OSU. Fine, but that's no excuse for literally anything we saw on offense the past year.

Al wants to say fans aren't educated to get it? Blaming talent is the easiest excuse to point to. He's sadly in the dark (or trying to bro g his troll game back).

Red Zone Defense:

Scoring Defense:

Penalty yards/game:

Scoring Offense:

#Scoring matters.
#Winning matters
#NothingElseMatters

sobering, didn't realize it was THAT bad

just wow

I’m not in agreement to give GS an extension at this point but the crap 2022 and below expectations 2021 results had a lot more to do with Ash’s terrible recruiting, especially on the OL. Greg inherited a looming problem of few good future upperclassmen to play in 2021 and 2022. He patched things up with transfers as best anyone could.

All things considered 2021 and 2022 were better than I thought they would be at the time of Ash’s firing. Back then I thought we would be horrible once ‘21 and ‘22 came. The next two years are what I’ll judge Greg by.
odd considering he did better with Ash's recruits. Odd or you're just making excuses

It comes down to how you feel about Schiano's first stint at Rutgers. If you think it was a huge success, as many on this board seem to, you'll stick with him (to the bitter end, apparently). If you think something less, you're probably losing patience, have little confidence going forward, don't care much about draft picks if they didn't win anything big in college, and don't think even a re-creation of his level of success the first time will make much of a splash.
What he did the first time around wasn't a huge success, but it was a success. If he manages to recreate it I will be satisfied that 2.0 has done what he was hired to do.

Again, there are 2 stages to this thing.. the dumpster fire => respectability stage and the respectability => contender stage. I think most would agree that Greg 1.0 did a good job on stage 1 and since we found ourselves back at dumpster fire it wasn't a completely unreasonably idea to give him another crack at it.

At the same time, respectability is not the end goal and while we were certainly respectable from 2005-2011 we only had ONE top 25 team (and for ****'s sake @rutgersal that shit was 17 years ago and he failed to match it from 07-11. If you look at Schiano 1.0 2006 was the outlier, not the rule).

Nobody in their right mind judges progress by statistics
This is completely and utterly wrong. "You are what your record says" is generally (to be clear I am not saying this is you Knight Shift, just where I usually see it) a dumb sports cliché uttered by those too dumb to look at any nuance in a game.

This is especially true in a sport like college football where you are only playing 12 games a year.

The defense is last in scoring defense or near it. Please stop with the false narratives.
The defense is average. If the offense were as good as the defense we would have gone like 7-5. Unfortunately the offense was so horrifically bad it also made the defense look terrible to those who were apparently not paying close enough attention.

Reactions: Knight Shift

Al - lately your posts have been great. Very realistic. You are totally off your rocker again if you actually believe anything you wrote in this post.

• Love
Reactions: Knight Shift
What he did the first time around wasn't a huge success, but it was a success. If he manages to recreate it I will be satisfied that 2.0 has done what he was hired to do.

Again, there are 2 stages to this thing.. the dumpster fire => respectability stage and the respectability => contender stage. I think most would agree that Greg 1.0 did a good job on stage 1 and since we found ourselves back at dumpster fire it wasn't a completely unreasonably idea to give him another crack at it.

At the same time, respectability is not the end goal and while we were certainly respectable from 2005-2011 we only had ONE top 25 team (and for ****'s sake @rutgersal that shit was 17 years ago and he failed to match it from 07-11. If you look at Schiano 1.0 2006 was the outlier, not the rule).

Have you been to other campuses?! Have you seen other facilities? It’s easy to sit here and Post respectability is not the end goal, but since this fanbase won’t provide support other than buying tickets and parking passes, it’s the only realistic goal we have. Once we get to respectability, we can think about how to become a contender, but for now, it’s a long ways off.

This is completely and utterly wrong. "You are what your record says" is generally (to be clear I am not saying this is you Knight Shift, just where I usually see it) a dumb sports cliché uttered by those too dumb to look at any nuance in a game.

This is especially true in a sport like college football where you are only playing 12 games a year.
IDK. I found this on that quote: "Bill Parcells will be the first to tell you that if your team goes 3-13, it won't matter how good your plan was, or how many of your players were injured, or how nice of a person you are. You were hired to win, and now a new coach will have the opportunity to give it a try."

Read More: You Are What Your Record Says You Are | https://retro1025.com/you-are-what-your-record-says-you-are/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

IMO, it's one thing if you had a bunch of close losses, but still you are paid to win, and not point to how close your losses were, or as al does in here, point to an "improved" statistic of total defense (yards given up). Points matter.

Another troubling sign is the margin(s) of loss 2022 vs. 2021 (not looking at 2020, covid year):
Penn State: 45 vs 28 pts (17 points worse)
Michigan: 35 pts vs 7 pts (28 points worse)
Ohio State: 39 pts vs 39 pts (Way too high in any case)
Michigan State: 7pts vs 18 pts (MSU took a step back this year)
Maryland: 37 pts vs 24 pts (7 points worse)

Also:
2021- lost to a horrific 1-8 Northwestern
2022- lost to a bad Nebraska at home; pummeled by a mediocre Minnesota

Aside from the record, the margins of loss were unacceptable or in all cases except Michigan State, which took a huge step back in 2022, increased.

There is no reason to reward this record, whether it is win/loss, margin of loss, or any purported Pyrrhic statistical "victory."

Who from Ash’s recruiting classes made meaningful impacts on offense in 2022 at RU or any P5 schools they transferred to?
Evan Simon, Johnny Langan and Shameen Jones made an impact on offense. Not huge, but some.
Avery Young, Jennings and Izien made a huge impact on defense.

As far as transfers: Alijah Clark played in all but one game for Syracuse, starting in 10 of them and tallying 52 tackles.

Raiqwon O'Neal- started 12 games for UCLA

In G5- Cole Snyder started at QB for Buffalo
Kicker Valentino Ambrosio won his bowl game for Tulane against USC
WR Eddie Lewis turned in a solid year 36 catches for 520 years plus 2 or 3 touchdowns in a bowl game for Memphis.

Brian Ugwu had a great season for Miami of Ohio
Brendan Bordner started in all 12 games at OL for FAU
DE CJ Onyechi had a great year at Colorado State

Reactions: RUTGERS95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT