ADVERTISEMENT

Tucson and Little Rock want bowls, too

I think it's more about those towns/cities wanting to help out their local merchants with an influx of business.
Originally posted by 32Mine:
This way 65 percent of D1 teams would go bowling. It's like your kid getting a soccer trophy for "participation."

Tucson would be a good bowl city for lower level P5 teams and the midmajors. Great weather for bowl and kind of a vacation type environment. I would think schools would prefer Tucson over Boise or Detroit. Downside would be tough travel arrangements from East Coast fans making it a west coast bowl. Little Rock probably can replace the DC / Anapolis bowl.

Tucson - can attract MWC, P12, B12, and maybe AAC
Little Rock - can attract SEC, ACC, B12, Sunbelt, MAC, AAC and B10

would take an AZ bowl in a second. Was rooting against OK St vs. OK in Bedlam last year b/c we had .00001% chance to play Wash in the Cactus Bowl in Tempe if the B10 didn't have enough bowls.

Originally posted by Abro1975:
I think it's more about those towns/cities wanting to help out their local merchants with an influx of business.
Originally posted by 32Mine:
This way 65 percent of D1 teams would go bowling. It's like your kid getting a soccer trophy for "participation."
No doubt that helps many cities, especially when business travel comes to a halt (during the holidays)...but ESPN and now other Sports Networks want LIVE PROGRAMMING, especially if its football...as Bowl Game TV Ratings dwarf that of some other sports (i.e. regular season college hoops, NHL, even MLB ratings, etc...).

If you are a college coach (let alone a player), you always want the ability to sell your program that you have gone bowling (hopefully for many years in a row), as the extra 2-3 week of practice helps your team get an early jump on Spring Practice (i.e. days, even up to the entire first week of bowl practice, the show/scout team gets featured a lot...even gets to work on your own team's plays, i.e. vs them working on opposing teams plays for the entire season).

With most major Universities having alumni bases all over the Sunbelt...plus others who want to travel "South" during the holiday break to get away from snow/cold...bowl games are fun for many...and one of the few times players can receive "gifts" (from bowls).

I see the problem with additional bowls is actually finding teams eligible to play. At this rate, soon teams with losing records will be in bowls.

College football is extremely popular - even "low level" bowl games get decent crowds and good TV ratings. If there are more chances for kids to play and for alumni and students to travel, what's the harm?

According to the article Little Rock would be AAC vs Sun which is odd because those two conferences are also playing in the new Orlando bowl.
Tucson would be MWC vs CUSA.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Coaches must love this trend. I have made a bowl game every single year! PAY ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by RUboston:
College football is extremely popular - even "low level" bowl games get decent crowds and good TV ratings. If there are more chances for kids to play and for alumni and students to travel, what's the harm?
Thats the way I see it too. So what if there are a lot of bowls? I usually watch all of them and enjoy them.

Originally posted by RUboston:
There isn't any harm...except from the emo "bowl police".

Tucson would be a great location. Have spent lots of time there on business in the past. Stopped there in 1992 and had a nice chat and a photo opp with Tony at his restaurant. He was the same happy and gracious guy that he was in the old days in New Brunswick. Here's a photo and article from 2005 when some RU fans stopped by to see him during the Insight Bowl. Ahh the memories !

No Charge for the Extra Grease

I would like to see many of the lower level bowls to align with basketball for a weekend of activities for visitors.

As part of the bowl weekend in one of these mid to lower level bowls why not have a 4 team men's and ladies hoops tournament.

For example with the Detroit bowl:
- Rutgers
- UNC
- 2 schools from conferences that don't play FBS football / 2 schools from other conferences that didn't make a bowl game

This way you can make it a full 3 day event for alumni of the bowl schools.

Originally posted by DJ Spanky:
I see the problem with additional bowls is actually finding teams eligible to play. At this rate, soon teams with losing records will be in bowls.
its going to happen and it will be 5-7 bloated power 5 conference schools in bowl games so for those saying that more bowls and low level bowls are a good thing this is what you will get...I wouldn't care that much but people go around saying that making bowls are acheivements when if you aren't in the top 15 bowls it really isn't an achievement. Unfortunately most of RUs history in bowls fall into the minor category. Its basically a participation trophy now. Go 2-6 in league and schedule 4 creampuffs

IIRC, Tucson once had a bowl game of its own - the Copper Bowl. But then it moved to Tempe/Phoenix and lost its name, becoming the Insight Bowl, which I believe is now also gone. Tucson would be a nice bowl destination but my hope is that if it gets a bowl, the bowl will actually have a name and not end up being just one more bowl with no identity or continuity, like a Continental Tire/Meineke/Belk or Champs Sports/Russell Athletic or Taxslayer or Quick Lane(?) or GoDaddy.com or any of a number of others.

IMO you should be required to have a winning record to go bowling. Yes that means 7 wins in most cases.

I have lost a TON of interest in the NFL over recent years, and I was a lifelong fan. Mainly because everything they have done appears to be for commercial money grabs and it ruins the game.

With all this bowl stuff in colllege ball - the mini-playoff is great, but we are starting to have too many bowls, and the more mediocre to bad teams we let in, it cheapens the achievement and excitement of the season. I know this is about new bowls simply in new locations and not necessarily more teams being eligable, if we keep creating bowls we will eventually have to lower the standards even more, which I really am not ok with.

If we are talking about moving or replacing bowls with ones in those cities though, I'm fine with it. Good cities for bowls.

This post was edited on 3/31 11:43 AM by IL Lusciato

We've been to a bowl game for 20 straight years! What are you guys complaining about?

hahahha.

I'm generally a fan of bowls but even I raised my eyebrows at the possibility of yet even more games. Little Rock is probably a fine town/ smaller city but a bowl site? I remeber Al suggesting that Rutgers host a bowl game about 9 years ago and many of us-myself included- scoffing at the notion. I tell you what- it sounds a whole lot less ridiculous now than it did 9 years ago.

I'm pretty shocked the Cure Bowl is going to be at the Citrus Bowl and not on campus at UCF. Orlando already hosts 2 bowls; can the city really support 3 games within 2 weeks at the same stadium? Well, guess you gotta pay the renovation bills.

I also can't stand the sponsor-named bowls. Take this past season. While the Detroit game had a new license, the city had just built up nearly two decades' worth of bowl-name recognition with the Motor City Bowl, which was then clouded up with the Little Caesar's name change and subsequent Quick Lane relaunch. Maybe it's just me but 'Rutgers wins Motor City Bowl' sounds a lot better than 'Rutgers wins Quick Lane Bowl'.

Joe P.

Originally posted by bac2therac:

Originally posted by DJ Spanky:
its going to happen and it will be 5-7 bloated power 5 conference schools in bowl games so for those saying that more bowls and low level bowls are a good thing this is what you will get...I wouldn't care that much but people go around saying that making bowls are acheivements when if you aren't in the top 15 bowls it really isn't an achievement. Unfortunately most of RUs history in bowls fall into the minor category. Its basically a participation trophy now. Go 2-6 in league and schedule 4 creampuffs
This. Have 100 bowl games for all I care but call it what it really is...a 13th game.

Like many who have posted above, I just like watching the games. So, if there are more games to watch, then I'll watch them. But, I don't think anyone is under the illusion that what you're watching (with most of the newer/more minor games) is something aking to the great, old bowls of yesteryear.

No one is thinking that a 7-5 or 6-6 team from a mid-major/non-P5 school who is playing in the "Magic Jack" bowl is the same thing as watching a top 10 play in the Rose Bowl, etc. Everyone should just acknowledge these games for what they are .. a 13th game on the schedule. Another OOC game. Ont that's played at a neutral site. That's it. It's not a "whatever bowl" - as those whatever places/bowls don't really mean anything to anyone. We should, collectively, refer to these as "the 13th game bowl".

What new(er) bowl game of the last 10-15 years do you think is the best, or most meaningful? I know that these newer bowls don't compare to the Rose or Cotton. But, can you think of any that is heads and shoulders above the rest?

Originally posted by JoeRU0304:
I'm generally a fan of bowls but even I raised my eyebrows at the possibility of yet even more games. Little Rock is probably a fine town/ smaller city but a bowl site? I remeber Al suggesting that Rutgers host a bowl game about 9 years ago and many of us-myself included- scoffing at the notion. I tell you what- it sounds a whole lot less ridiculous now than it did 9 years ago.

I'm pretty shocked the Cure Bowl is going to be at the Citrus Bowl and not on campus at UCF. Orlando already hosts 2 bowls; can the city really support 3 games within 2 weeks at the same stadium? Well, guess you gotta pay the renovation bills.

I also can't stand the sponsor-named bowls. Take this past season. While the Detroit game had a new license, the city had just built up nearly two decades' worth of bowl-name recognition with the Motor City Bowl, which was then clouded up with the Little Caesar's name change and subsequent Quick Lane relaunch. Maybe it's just me but 'Rutgers wins Motor City Bowl' sounds a lot better than 'Rutgers wins Quick Lane Bowl'.

Joe P.
agree. I really HATE the sponsor-named bowls, and stadiums quite frankly. But i understand funding needs for college stadiums. Still hate it. Esp hate it for bowls.

As to the poster who called bowls a 13th game. I do not disagree with you, but IMO i'd like to see that not be the case. I think requiring every team to get to 7 wins to participate would help to rectify that issue. Certainly not lowering the standards anymore or letting any more 6-6 teasm than a select few to start.

I do see bowl games as a post-season game, where a trophy and win is important to a program, b/c it cements the legacy of a year - I.E., you did enough that season to get into a post season game against a formdiable opponent, that you are playing not due to advance scheduling, but b/c of the on-field results of both teams, and came away beating them. I'd like to better enhance bowls rather than cheapening them. And i feel the more we add, the more it is simply another OOC game.

Last's year games at the Bahamas was a very good game. Can't remember who was in it. That team that came back, never quit. Strong.

Joe P.
Florida Law as written, states that Counties (like Orlando's Orange County) can only spend tourist tax receipts on sporting facilities, convention centers, etc...so that's where most of the approx $18 Million a monththat comes in from hotel tourist tax goes to...and that's where the most of the $$$ have come for the $200 Million Citrus Bowl Renovation, funding for the $514 Million World Class Dr Philips Performing Arts Center and the $450 Million Amway Center.

Recently opened Dr Phillips Performing Arts Center
Dr_Phillips_Center_for_the_Performing_Arts_N249-Page1.jpg

City/County is working on their 4th sports/entertainment project in recent years as there is a deal to build a new 19,500 seat $100 Million soccer stadium for Orlando's new MLS team (even though the team has drawn over 45,000 fans to their first 2 games at the Citrus Bowl).

Soccer-Stadium-1-608x342.jpg

City of Orlando can use loss leaders of events to fill hotel tax coffers plus continuous 3-4 hour national tv commercials... all which receive major $$$$ from TV Networks to carry said events.

Bowls, almost like a lot of other sporting events today, almost don't need to sell many tix these days as TV rights have soared astronomically.

Also, Rolling Stones announced today that they are coming back to the Citrus Bowl for the first time in 34 years (their 2 concerts at the old Citrus Bowl back in 1981 was the biggest thing to hit Orlando since Disney Opened in 1971) as the renovated stadium will be one of the 14 US Cities hosting their summer tour in a few months (June)

RS-USA-2015.jpg

This post was edited on 3/31 1:01 PM by Knight_Light

This post was edited on 3/31 1:11 PM by Knight_Light

They've been farting around with the idea of an Australia/ New Zealand bowl game since the 90's (I remember reading a 'Coming Soon!' SI blurb in HS about the Haka Bowl, which ended up falling through). I don't think it'll happen- too cost-prohibitive with not enough time for the teams/ fan bases to plan accordingly IMO.

Joe P.

I also can't stand the sponsor-named bowls.
It's not 1970 anymore...Bowl Sponsorships are extremely important...and without them, many bowls may not even exist and some might include:

Insight Bowl
Texas Bowl
Papajohns.com Bowl
Saint Petersburg Bowl presented by Beef O'Bradys
Pinstripe Bowl (twice)
Russell Athletic Bowl
Quick Lane Bowl

K-L, definitely true about these games being much more valuable as TV broadcast content and network inventory than at the live gate. Fu
First-run live sports programming commands some of the highest broadcast ad rates there are, plus these games provide ESPN and the school/ league networks with plenty of offseason filler content. For those reasons alone I doubt they're going anywhere anytime soon.

Joe P.

" Originally posted by JoeRU0304:
It's not 1970 anymore...Bowl Sponsorships are extremely important...and
without them, many bowls may not even exist and some might include:

Insight Bowl
Texas Bowl
Papajohns.com Bowl
Pinstripe Bowl (twice)
Russell Athletic Bowl
Quick Lane Bowl"

No it isn't 1970 but I think even the sponsors would benefit from having their name tacked onto a real bowl name, rather than just have the sponsor name. Sponsors change (as with the Charlotte bowl and others) so sponsor-only bowl names have no continuity, no identity. The Gator Bowl name had identity and I would have gone to that had we been invited. The Taxslayer Bowl had no pull to me, but a Taxslayer Gator Bowl would have. That's my basic point.

And how did you know that I graduated in 1970???

Eco- exactly. I know sponsors are important but I'm also glad the .com bowl bubble finally burst about 3-5 years ago.

Joe P.

Originally posted by ecojew:
" Originally posted by JoeRU0304:

It's not 1970 anymore...Bowl Sponsorships are extremely important...and
without them, many bowls may not even exist and some might include:

Insight Bowl
Texas Bowl
Papajohns.com Bowl
Pinstripe Bowl (twice)
Russell Athletic Bowl
Quick Lane Bowl"

No it isn't 1970 but I think even the sponsors would benefit from having their name tacked onto a real bowl name, rather than just have the sponsor name. Sponsors change (as with the Charlotte bowl and others) so sponsor-only bowl names have no continuity, no identity. The Gator Bowl name had identity and I would have gone to that had we been invited. The Taxslayer Bowl had no pull to me, but a Taxslayer Gator Bowl would have. That's my basic point.

And how did you know that I graduated in 1970???
+1

Tostitos Fiesta...FedEx Orange...etc. I am okay with doing it this way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT