ADVERTISEMENT

Utah Officially Starts D1 Lax...Where Do They Go?

bigmatt718

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Mar 11, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Any college lax fans know that Utah has officially thrown in their lax helmets into the D1 ring, now the westernmost D1 lacrosse school in the nation. There are 3 potential conferences that are bidding to get Utah in for their inaugural D1 season in 2018-19: the BE, the ACC and the B1G.

BE makes sense to have a travel partner, but does a P5 football school want to rub elbows with a Catholic conference? ACC needs a 6th member to get AQ status back.

My theory is that Utah will join the B1G and I'll tell you why. Utah is the first Pac-12 school to play D1 lax. The Pac-12 officially starts WLax in 2018. They have a plan to get MLax going as well. So if they partner with their century old partners in crime, the B1G, both conferences can work to get schools like USC, Stanford, UCLA, ASU, Oregon or Colorado to D1 status, then move Utah to the Pac-12 and grab Denver/Air Force as affiliate members. In 7-10 years I think my theory will be proven as fact.

In the short term, the B1G gets all that lax recruiting territory in California and the West Coast, while they work closely with the Pac-12 to get their schools to D1 Lax status.

Reactions: LC-88
Any college lax fans know that Utah has officially thrown in their lax helmets into the D1 ring, now the westernmost D1 lacrosse school in the nation. There are 3 potential conferences that are bidding to get Utah in for their inaugural D1 season in 2018-19: the BE, the ACC and the B1G.

BE makes sense to have a travel partner, but does a P5 football school want to rub elbows with a Catholic conference? ACC needs a 6th member to get AQ status back.

My theory is that Utah will join the B1G and I'll tell you why. Utah is the first Pac-12 school to play D1 lax. The Pac-12 officially starts WLax in 2018. They have a plan to get MLax going as well. So if they partner with their century old partners in crime, the B1G, both conferences can work to get schools like USC, Stanford, UCLA, ASU, Oregon or Colorado to D1 status, then move Utah to the Pac-12 and grab Denver/Air Force as affiliate members. In 7-10 years I think my theory will be proven as fact.

In the short term, the B1G gets all that lax recruiting territory in California and the West Coast, while they work closely with the Pac-12 to get their schools to D1 Lax status.

Let Utah join the Southern Conference with Air Force,
the Big East with Denver or the ACC to give the ACC 6 teams for NCAA Automatic Bid Qualification.

The B1G can stand pat with 6 teams East of the Mississippi River or expand with better options.

The additional travel time and expenses involved with adding Utah to the B1G would not be worthwhile.

Reactions: RU62
Let Utah join the Southern Conference with Air Force,
the Big East with Denver or the ACC to give the ACC 6 teams for NCAA Automatic Bid Qualification.

The B1G can stand pat with 6 teams East of the Mississippi River or expand with better options.

The additional travel time and expenses involved with adding Utah to the B1G would not be worthwhile.
I'm theorizing that the Pac-12 is planning to start lax. They have 3 potential schools already (Utah, Denver, and Air Force). By aligning with the B1G, Utah gets their program up and running while both conferences work together to get the resources for 3 more Pac-12 schools to start lax (USC, Stanford, Colorado, ASU, UCLA, Oregon are examples). Once Pac-12 gets 3 more schools, Utah, Denver and AF leave to join the Pac-12. It's a temporary thing to expand the game nationally.

I like matt's idea, but I think the laxperts here (Caliknight, rufamily) need to weigh in.

I'm theorizing that the Pac-12 is planning to start lax. They have 3 potential schools already (Utah, Denver, and Air Force). By aligning with the B1G, Utah gets their program up and running while both conferences work together to get the resources for 3 more Pac-12 schools to start lax (USC, Stanford, Colorado, ASU, UCLA, Oregon are examples). Once Pac-12 gets 3 more schools, Utah, Denver and AF leave to join the Pac-12. It's a temporary thing to expand the game nationally.

Historically, the B1G isn't big on temporary arrangements.
Lacrosse travel expenses need to be kept to a minumum.
Adding teams like Utah to the conference is a good way to push teams like Johns Hopkins away.

Why would the BIG give a lick about the Pac12 starting lacrosse?

I haven't put any thought into this other than it is great Utah is adding lacrosse. But, they do need a home. The acc is desperate for a team. Though it isn't an issue now, they need a 6th program to have an auto bid, as they are currently at 5. Utah's coach is an acc guy, but the travel expenses added would be tough. Have to think they start looking at at schools like Loyola, though they are in the CAA for all of their other sports so I am not sure how that would work with one program leaving for another conference while they others stay put. Maybe a non starter, though lax at Loyola is king.

The BE would make a lot of sense with Marquette and Denver already in the fold. Travel expenses would be kept down.

The B1G is an interesting thought. The Pac 12 and B1G already have a special relationship. With the game absolutely blowing up in the west, you have to think the B1G is looking far ahead down the road. An expanding partnership might be a great thing. Cons are obviously travel costs and scheduling.

One thing is for sure, I could see Utah dethroning Denver in short order. Utah has an accomplished coach, young assistants who are star players, and look no further than our own Utah players to see what type of talent the state is producing. With Tierney another year closer to retirement, I could see Utah being the kings of the west in no time.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Not so sure about that. The West is the new frontier in lacrosse. To get a serious foothold here would be very advantageous for the future of the conference, and member schools.

Not so sure about that. The West is the new frontier in lacrosse. To get a serious foothold here would be very advantageous for the future of the conference, and member schools.
Then take a road trip like MLB does and play Utah and Denver.

Hopefully some day more B1G schools start a Men's side so we don't have to have this type of discussion...fly away Blue Jay, fly away. ;)

Minnesota is probably the best option for that to happen, but not any time soon from what I have read.

Surprising (to me at least) how few women's teams there are in the B1G.
If the Gophers do this I am assuming it would be both a M and W side.

Northwestern I thought maybe for the guys and MSU. But guess not for now.

Best Expansion Candidates for B1G Men's Lacrosse:

(1st Tier in no order)
Michigan St
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska

(2nd Tier in order)
Notre Dame (like in Men's Ice Hockey)
Virginia
North Carolina
Duke

Best Expansion Candidates for B1G Men's Lacrosse:

(1st Tier in no order)
Michigan St
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska

(2nd Tier in order)
Notre Dame (like in Men's Ice Hockey)
Virginia
North Carolina
Duke
I actually think that Minnesota has a better chance than you think as it has pretty good lacrosse right now. I would think the best options would be MSU as they already had it, Northwestern they have women's Lacrosse, and maybe Illinois as there is pretty good lax in the Chicago area.
Utah getting it may push other PAC-12 school into getting it as ASU has had a good club team, and I believe that Oregon, Cal, Stanford and USC all have Women's Lacrosse.
If the PAC-12 or the SEC ever really went and added Men's lacrosse it would be a game changer.
That being said I still think that Denver will remain the power as Co. lax is still better than Utah Lax and the sports is a recognized scholastic sport in CO. while, unless something has changed in the last year, it is not in Utah.

I actually think that Minnesota has a better chance than you think as it has pretty good lacrosse right now. I would think the best options would be MSU as they already had it, Northwestern they have women's Lacrosse, and maybe Illinois as there is pretty good lax in the Chicago area.
Utah getting it may push other PAC-12 school into getting it as ASU has had a good club team, and I believe that Oregon, Cal, Stanford and USC all have Women's Lacrosse.
If the PAC-12 or the SEC ever really went and added Men's lacrosse it would be a game changer.
That being said I still think that Denver will remain the power as Co. lax is still better than Utah Lax and the sports is a recognized scholastic sport in CO. while, unless something has changed in the last year, it is not in Utah.

Adding Michigan State, Illinois, Northwestern and Minnesota would create a nice 10-team B1G Men's Lacrosse Conference.

other squads to look out for adding- Colorado, UConn, BC, ASU, USC and maybe even Texas.

these schools don't like to be behind the curve on any sports option

BC had it and dropped it I am not sure that they are that interested in bringing it back. ASU and Texas would be interesting but texas would have to pull some of that money from the FB program and I Don't see that happening

When looking into teams adding men's lax you first have to look at how the university in question complies with title IX already. If they are behind on that then they will not add mens lax unless they eliminate another men's sport.

BC had it and dropped it I am not sure that they are that interested in bringing it back. ASU and Texas would be interesting but texas would have to pull some of that money from the FB program and I Don't see that happening
When my son played at Holy Cross they played BC.

I think we destroyed BCU in a scrimmage or something one time, I vaguely remember. I recall being surprised they had a team. I had never heard of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT