ADVERTISEMENT

We’re probably still 2 years away

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
Yes, we want to Win all our games, but there are significant talent gaps with the rest of the Big Ten. The Right side of the offensive line is New. The quarterback needs to play more consistently, and improve his accuracy. The WRs being counted on to provide the bulk of receptions, are from lower levels, and their effectiveness at this level is unknown.

Defense and Special Teams should be in Good Shape.

So Yes, we have a chance to do very well if all the Offensive questions are answered affirmatively. But that remains to be seen.

If we do end up struggling, it’s not a big deal, because the answers to our talent issues are either in our ‘24 Recruiting class, or they are on the roster still developing.

Things are going slower than expected because there’s still no Fieldhouse and there is very little NIL support which is used for retention.

I expect this to be an enjoyable, fun, season, even if the win total isn’t what we want. 4-6 wins seems reasonable. But if we somehow beat Michigan, we will reforecast.

At the very least , the offense should be functional, which is a far cry from where we were.

Yes, we want to Win all our games, but there are significant talent gaps with the rest of the Big Ten. The Right side of the offensive line is New. The quarterback needs to play more consistently, and improve his accuracy. The WRs being counted on to provide the bulk of receptions, are from lower levels, and their effectiveness at this level is unknown.

So Yes, we have a chance to do very well if all the Offensive questions are answered affirmatively. But that remains to be seen.

If we do end up struggling, it’s not a big deal, because the answers to our talent issues are either in our ‘24 Recruiting class, or they are on the roster still developing.

Things are going slower than expected because there’s still no Fieldhouse and there is very little NIL support which is used for retention.

I expect this to be an enjoyable, fun, season, even if the win total isn’t what we want. 4-6 wins seems reasonable. But if we somehow beat Michigan, we will reforecast.

At the very least , the offense should be functional, which is a far cry from where we were.

Because the roster he inherited was so thin, when GS came I said it would be at least 4 and probably 5 years before we would be a 6-6 team.

NIL “retention” can’t be used as an excuse for our current roster. We didn’t lose anyone because of it.

It’s really all about Wimsatt. If he’s what he was last year we’re going to be a slightly better version of last year with the same or even slightly worse record because the schedule is a bit harder.

If Wimsatt even modestly improved we could be pretty decent. The run blocking really wasn’t that bad last year. And I think we have a few more pieces that will improve the pass blocking. It’s not only about the OL. Position blockers (TE, RB, etc.) matter too. Kroft and Burton were very big losses following the 2014 season (the last time we had a serviceable offense). It isn’t only about being respectable up front.

It’s year 4 of this experiment. I don’t think any reasonable fan expects 8 or 9 wins. A 6 win season should be a reasonable goal. They have had a full 3 recruiting classes and the Transfer Portal is there to use. Almost all the players on the roster are GS recruits. If there is a significant talent gap still, then that goes on the staff. While NIL is a long term issue, RU has not lost quality players to the Portal. If the QB and OL are still not B1G caliber, that is on the staff/HC. Progress needs to be shown. How about more than 1 or 2 conf wins and not suffering 3 or 4 20pt plus blowouts?

Reactions: Caliknight
So, didn't I see a beat Michigan and we'll be 8-0 heading into OSU thread, but today we're two years away from being any good? This board's confusing. I'm going to back to the horse thread to evaluate the three videos that were posted.

Reactions: newell138
Two years away from two conference wins (if the schedule is easier than ever before)

If we are going to win at a minimum 5 games this year, what does 2 years away mean?

In 2 years we should expect 8-9 win seasons? Competitive with OSU, UM?

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/teams-we-are-going-to-hammer.263824/#post-6396825

I don’t know where he was going. For me, there’s a path where we can show progress across the board this season outside of Wimsatt, not have a great record, but still be moving the program in the right direction.

I’m not saying this to rag on the kid and I truly hope he starts to figure things out this year. If he does we’re probably going to have a good season so this talk will be for naught.

If that doesn’t happen, but we’re making progress in the run game and the defense takes the steps most of us think is possible, we probably won’t have a winning record, but I’m not in the camp of firing Schiano just because Wimsatt doesn’t work out (which essentially is what that would be). I know others disagree.

In that case, the next step would be to bring in a transfer QB and start to mold a new frosh (I.e. clear intent to recruit over Wimsatt). GW is not getting another year after this one to prove himself. So that means next season could be a QB battle if he doesn’t figure things out. There are always ups and downs with working in a new QB and likely a QB battle so no, 8-9 wins probably would not be a realistic goal to expect next season in that situation but could be possible by the following year. The key would be that we wouldn’t be stuck throwing all our eggs in one basket. We could bring in a frosh hopeful and a transfer to compete. This year we stuck with what we had bec we didn’t have much choice.

Reasonable. Clearly we are at least one year away as I don't think the Offense will rise too much above sheer incompetence from last year. There will be some improvement, however, is my prediction. Next year it gets better and the year after we move into the competence zone as the recently recrutied OL and the playmakers develop further.

Reactions: rutgersal
It’s really all about Wimsatt. If he’s what he was last year we’re going to be a slightly better version of last year with the same or even slightly worse record because the schedule is a bit harder.

If Wimsatt even modestly improved we could be pretty decent. The run blocking really wasn’t that bad last year. And I think we have a few more pieces that will improve the pass blocking. It’s not only about the OL. Position blockers (TE, RB, etc.) matter too. Kroft and Burton were very big losses following the 2014 season (the last time we had a serviceable offense). It isn’t only about being respectable up front.
You nailed it. Wimsatt is the straw that stirs this drink. He plays well, it’s an awesome season.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Because the roster he inherited was so thin, when GS came I said it would be at least 4 and probably 5 years before we would be a 6-6 team.

NIL “retention” can’t be used as an excuse for our current roster. We didn’t lose anyone because of it.
USC and Miami are using NIL to accelerate their build. We aren’t able to do the same because we don’t have the resources. People are incorrectly pointing to the transfer portal as a reason why we should see better results sooner.

We’re not look for miracles from Wimsatt. If he can throw for 2400 yards with a 55% completion rate, with more TDs than Ints, that’s good enough.

Not sure I like the new re"Al"ity Al... I think I preferred the over-the-top we are better than our opponents at every position uber-enthusiastic glass is always half FULL sky is never falling go to the national board and hype us up superfan Al. What's this world coming to? What happened to THAT guy. Sigh.

Did RutgersAl write that or did his girlfriend get hold of his account and write it? We are undefeated and we need two more years?

This. It's all about Wimsatt improving a lot. Last year offensively Rutgers was terrible. The QB position did little which led to unentertaining football. I don't see what Wimsatt upside is as he isn't accurate. The players however all say he has improved a lot. So we shall see. I'd be beyond thrilled with 6-6.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Didn't Al already start a thread a month or so ago on this very same topic, Schiano gets the next two years free? Was it really necessary to start another thread on basically the same topic a few days before the season starts? And he is not a troll?

Didn't Al already start a thread a month or so ago on this very same topic, Schiano gets the next two years free? Was it really necessary to start another thread on basically the same topic a few days before the season starts? And he is not a troll?
This one is worded better. Probably could’ve just edited the other one but I believe somewhere in that other thread Al admitted he didn’t really mean “free” the way it was being interpreted.

In any case - a troll does things just to get a rise that the poster has to know aren’t true. This particular thread is much more grounded than some of the others like the one predicting 8-0.

X9Yokw6.jpg

Reactions: brgRC90
I’m 100% confident he never said that. He’s been saying we win 4-6 this year for a long time (which is very reasonable).
I’m sorry, it was 8-0 going into OSU… my mistake

I think what Al means our NIL is only enough to retain and not get better players recruiting or portal wise. I’m not sure it’s accurate (sounds reasonable given our fan base though). Seems some folks with deep pockets want wins first. Seem to be squeezing their money a bit…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT