ADVERTISEMENT

Football What is the Rutgers Football over/under for wins in 2024?

Just about everyone is returning from what was last season a quality defense. Virtually everyone is returning from a vastly improved offensive line. Our all-Big Ten running back and his back-ups are returning. Rutgers appears to have significantly improved the talent level at wr. And we're gonna go with a qb that the coaching staff thinks is better than the guy who led RU to a bowl win over Miami and a winning record last season.
Oh...and Ohio State, Michigan, and Pedd State are not on this season's schedule.
We have every right to expect an improvement over last year's record. The upcoming season should be our best shot at relevance nationally. It should be at least eight wins...barring significant injuries of course.

Correction - “it could be”. The refreshing change is that we will have a real shot in every game on the schedule if we bring out A game. So yes - there’s good reason to be optimistic about the season outlook.

But we’re not the only team that is projected to improve year over year. VTech will be much improved when we play them. Michigan State won’t be dealing with scandals. We’re certainly capable of winning those games but that doesn’t mean Vegas should be forecasting that outcome on the road. Going game by game, 6.5 seems very reasonable as a statistical prediction.

Correction - “it could be”. The refreshing change is that we will have a real shot in every game on the schedule if we bring out A game. So yes - there’s good reason to be optimistic about the season outlook.

But we’re not the only team that is projected to improve year over year. VTech will be much improved when we play them. Michigan State won’t be dealing with scandals. We’re certainly capable of winning those games but that doesn’t mean Vegas should be forecasting that outcome on the road. Going game by game, 6.5 seems very reasonable as a statistical prediction.
They've still gotta figure out how to tackle Monangai.

They've still gotta figure out how to tackle Monangai.
An improved passing game will prevent teams from stacking the box against Kyle. AK is a better passer and the receiver room is stronger and deeper. A healthy Brown will be a very good reliever for Kyle.

Nebraska would’ve beaten us last year in my opinion. I was glad we didn’t play them. They will 100% be favored to beat us at their place. They had to have been the most unlucky team in the country. Lost in OT at Wisconsin. Lost by 3 to Maryland, Iowa, @ Minny, and @ Michigan State.

Michigan State was dealing with scandal drama all season. We won in miracle come back fashion and this time we go to their place. We won’t be favored to win that game either regardless of what their record was last year. It’s a new season.

You don’t know what your talking about with VTech. They were 5-3 in the ACC and 2 of those losses were on the road @ 5th and 13th ranked teams. They were missing important players in the early losses to Purdue, RU and Marshall. Not the same team by the end of the year. Not even close.
We must have been the luckiest team last year. W/o luck, we would’ve won like 3 games instead of 7. I guess my opinion differs.

What was your O/U last year?

We must have been the luckiest team last year. W/o luck, we would’ve won like 3 games instead of 7. I guess my opinion differs.

What was your O/U last year?

No absolutely not. A lucky team would’ve won a lot of close games. We only played one close game - Michigan State. Mostly because we drew 5-6 easy opponents and 5-6 really hard ones. Next year we’re drawing a few less easy and hard opponents, but a lot more middle of the road ones.

My O/U preseason is irrelevant. I didn’t know NW and Michigan State would be in the situations they were in when we played them with the scandals. I didn’t know VTech would play us with a depleted roster. I also didn’t know we would lose Powell when we did and catch Maryland when they figured things out. Every year is different.

Vtech will be a tough game. The over/under is fair. Bet the over if you feel it doesn't reflect reality. But we will have people whining if RU wins 8 games and that GS is not a good coach. That boggles my mind. Getting to 8 wins while playing a B1G schedule is incredibly hard.

Last edited:
Not really. It’s true we don’t have PSU, OSU or Michigan this year, but it’s not like those games were replaced by Wagners. Washington, USC and UCLA are hardly automatic wins. They just aren’t automatic losses.

Also remember - we caught NW at a very good time last season fresh off of scandal. VTech too - depleted by injuries. Thats a much harder game this season than it was last year at their place.
Also caught MSU just after they fired Tucker. A lot broke right for RU last season.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
No, I think you are just trying to lower expectations. With what we have coming back and a better QB, I expect 8 wins as the O/U. I don’t get why you are trying to excuse our win against NW last year. I didn’t even mentioned the WR room. We didn’t have our top WRs in the NW game. It’s a matter of opinion and expectation. I’m expecting big things. 6.5 means you are 50/50 to be bowl eligible
Technically, there's no such thing as an 8 win over under. Everything is going to be on a half, so 7.5 is what you'd be expecting? I think if Vegas set it at that, you'd see way too much money on the under, which they want to avoid. 6.5 seems right. Expecting 8 or more wins as a fan isn't a stretch at all.

Not really. It’s true we don’t have PSU, OSU or Michigan this year, but it’s not like those games were replaced by Wagners. Washington, USC and UCLA are hardly automatic wins. They just aren’t automatic losses.

Also remember - we caught NW at a very good time last season fresh off of scandal. VTech too - depleted by injuries. Thats a much harder game this season than it was last year at their place.
We punched NW and V Tech in the jaw. Don't apologize for those wins. MD was lucky to play us at the end of the year with all of our injuries but it's still a loss.

Last year we played the #4 schedule and a murderers row of Defenses. I think 6.5 is too low. Take the over.

Reactions: Arizona Knight
If the new QB is the real deal, and the WR room is as good as advertised, 8 wins is not unrealistic. The defense and running game are there. Competent QB play is the key.

We punched NW and V Tech in the jaw. Don't apologize for those wins. MD was lucky to play us at the end of the year with all of our injuries but it's still a loss.

Last year we played the #4 schedule and a murderers row of Defenses. I think 6.5 is too low. Take the over.
It’s not “apologizing” to recognize in advance that this year’s game AT VTech, will most likely be much harder than last years (for example).

Thats not to say we can’t win. However - If the outcome goes the other way that does NOT mean last years team was better because we won that game at home in Drones first career start with a collection of their best players out hurt. You play the games on your schedule - and we won convincingly. Great. But VTech followed it up with a loss to Marshall the week after our game, for perspective. The reality is - win or lose, the game on the coming schedule is significantly harder plus in a hostile environment.

It’s not “apologizing” to recognize in advance that this year’s game AT VTech, will most likely be much harder than last years (for example).

Thats not to say we can’t win. However - If the outcome goes the other way that does NOT mean last years team was better because we won that game at home in Drones first career start with a collection of their best players out hurt. You play the games on your schedule - and we won convincingly. Great. But VTech followed it up with a loss to Marshall the week after our game, for perspective. The reality is - win or lose, the game on the coming schedule is significantly harder plus in a hostile environment.
Sure sounds like apologizing to me. Who did Tech beat that was good last year? They couldn’t stop the run. Can’t win if you can’t stop the run.

Sure sounds like apologizing to me. Who did Tech beat that was good last year? They couldn’t stop the run. Can’t win if you can’t stop the run.

Well, they closed the season with a 21 point win over 11-3 Tulane. On paper, that’s clear improvement from their loss to Marshall the week after playing us right there. Drastic improvement.

Neb and MSU were both under 500 teams. UCLA finished with 1 more win and we get them at home. What was your expectations last year?

ETA Va Tech was 7-6 in the ACC. Unless everyone got a lot better and we got worst, I just don’t get it.
we barely won many games... which could have gone the other way.. especially MSU.. we needed a miracle.. consecutive miracles.. to win that one. How many games will be coin flips this season? I say many of them... too many to be sure of anything.

All that said.. 6.5 seems about right and the over would be very nice. Win some coin-flip games by more than a TD and we'll talk again next year about confidence of victories.

Reactions: Morrischiano
we barely won many games... which could have gone the other way.. especially MSU.. we needed a miracle.. consecutive miracles.. to win that one. How many games will be coin flips this season? I say many of them... too many to be sure of anything.

All that said.. 6.5 seems about right and the over would be very nice. Win some games by more than a TD and we'll talk again next year about confidence of victories.

Yeah - this “7-6 in the ACC” is deceiving. Three of the losses were early - before ACC play started - when they were dealing with a pile of injuries and transitioning QBs. The losses to us, Purdue and Marshall.

Following that beat two bowl teams - Syracuse and BC. Same as us. Their only 3 conference losses losses were to #6, #19 and #21 in the final AP poll. They beat Tulane which kicked them out of the final poll - Tulane still received some votes.

I posted this in the "VTech looks at us" thread:

Yeah, look at the rogue's gallery they beat during the regular season:

Old Dominion (6-6)
Pitt (3-9)
Wake Forest (4-8)
Syracuse (6-6)
BC (6-6)
Virginia (3-9)

Well, they closed the season with a 21 point win over 11-3 Tulane.

That means nothing!

Tulane is searching for its second straight 12-win season but the Green Wave are also buried in a deluge of adversity.
Willie Fritz parlayed 23 wins in two seasons into landing the job as Houston coach, star quarterback Michael Pratt is sitting out to prepare for the NFL draft and interim coach Slade Nagle has no idea about his own future.
Tulane also is missing other key players. Guard Prince Pines, wideout Jha'Quan Jackson, defensive end Darius Hodges and cornerback Jalen Monroe are preparing for the NFL draft. Also, leading receiver Chris Brazzell II (44 catches for 711 yards with 5 TDs) and safety DJ Douglas are among the Green Wave players who entered the transfer portal.

Tulane missing some key players vs. Virginia Tech in Military Bowl

Reactions: Arizona Knight

Regardless - they won every game they were supposed to win following the loss to Marshall. Virginia Tech clearly got better and “7-6 in the ACC” is a dumb statement. They didn’t lose to a single bad ACC team.

They lost by one score to NC State who finished ranked 21. There is no denying that VTech was missing many starters to injury early or that Drones first collegiate start was vs. RU. These are facts.

Regardless - they won every game they were supposed to win following the loss to Marshall. Virginia Tech clearly got better and “7-6 in the ACC” is a dumb statement. They didn’t lose to a single bad ACC team.

They lost by one score to NC State who finished ranked 21. There is no denying that VTech was missing many starters to injury early or that Drones first collegiate start was vs. RU. These are facts.
I remember when we had to use our best loss to judge how good we are 😀. If Va Tech improves on run D, they will have a chance. But we pounded them. It’s like a MMA fight. If you can’t stop the takedown, you can’t win.

ETA just watch the quick highlights. KM broke 2 long ones and GW had a great 34 yd TD run too.

These threads for every team out there are always interesting to read. You can definitely tell the half full/ half empty glass people.
The internet and information available out there now makes it easy to spin any prognostication into a person favor or to counter another persons opinions.
There are about 130 off season champion teams out there this time of year which is why this game is so great.
Very few teams have no question marks on their roster but fans always think “the replacement we got for player x is gonna be a star”.
Im yet to read a fan base say that a player that transferred out wasn’t replaced by a better one.
It’s a great game, too bad it’s gonna get all f’d up with the new way of doing things.

Good luck!! Enjoy your summer!!

Reactions: mdk01 and megadrone
I remember when we had to use our best loss to judge how good we are 😀. If Va Tech improves on run D, they will have a chance. But we pounded them. It’s like a MMA fight. If you can’t stop the takedown, you can’t win.

ETA just watch the quick highlights. KM broke 2 long ones and GW had a great 34 yd TD run too.

But they were missing 2-3 of their best defenders. How can you just assume their D was the same when those guys returned?

Also - if you go game by game, it’s obvious that Drones improved a ton too. VTech definitely got better. I don’t understand how you can argue this point.

I would take the over.
OOC -- we should be ablet to win at Va Tech, but it's a toss up.

We replace State Penn, OSU and Michigan with Nebraska, Minnesota and Illinois, and Iowa, Northwestern and Indiana with USC/UCLA/Washington. I think we have wins against Maryland and MIchigan State. We can go 4-5 or 5-4 in conference if we come out of Va Tech with a win. Best case scenario would be 8 wins ( I think we lose against USC, Washington, Wisconsin and probably Nebraska). Worst case is 4 (Howard, Akron, MSU, Illinois).

But they were missing 2-3 of their best defenders. How can you just assume their D was the same when those guys returned?

Also - if you go game by game, it’s obvious that Drones improved a ton too. VTech definitely got better. I don’t understand how you can argue this point.
They didn’t beat anyone that impressive. They might have improved but not sure that’s the same as good.

They didn’t beat anyone that impressive. They might have improved but not sure that’s the same as good.

Okay - and who did we beat who was “that impressive”? We played at home at a time when we were at full strength injury wise. V Tech was not. Next time we play them they likely will not be as bogged down with injuries and we will be the road team. For these reasons it’s a significantly harder game.

Okay - and who did we beat who was “that impressive”? We played at home at a time when we were at full strength injury wise. V Tech was not. Next time we play them they likely will not be as bogged down with injuries and we will be the road team. For these reasons it’s a significantly harder game.
I never said it wouldn’t be harder. Maybe we only beat them by 2 TDs this time. But we will be favored in this game on the road.

I never said it wouldn’t be harder. Maybe we only beat them by 2 TDs this time. But we will be favored in this game on the road.
If they enter the game 3-0 they will be favored at home. If they lose to OD, Marshall or Vandy then maybe.

The over/under being set at 6.5 should be a wake up call to this board, which seems to wildly overrate this team. Remember, RU lost four consecutive games to end the regular season including being shut out at Iowa and blown out at home by Maryland. The bowl win was nice but also basically an outdoor late December home game against a severely depleted warm weather opponent. In the grand scheme of things, it didn't mean much.

The Rutgers defense played very well most of last year but did have some setbacks including the 42 points Maryland put up against us in the final regular season game. Having said that, it should be the team's biggest strength other than the running game.

Beyond Monangai, Rutgers doesn't really have any proven weapons on offense. That's why we won't be favored to beat half the teams on our schedule. While I still think 7 regular season wins is the likely outcome, I see Virginia Tech as a likely loss on the road and also Washington, the national runner-up, as a guaranteed defeat. The consensus around here seems to be that both those games are likely wins which strikes me as ridiculous and it looks like the betting public feels the same way.

Think of it this way: unless RU pulls off an upset, the team will be 2-2 heading into a road game at Nebraska, where Rutgers has never won. In fact, we've never beaten Nebraska, period. I'm thinking much more about that scenario more than the sunshine and rainbows that largely fill this board.

The over/under being set at 6.5 should be a wake up call to this board, which seems to wildly overrate this team. Remember, RU lost four consecutive games to end the regular season including being shut out at Iowa and blown out at home by Maryland. The bowl win was nice but also basically an outdoor late December home game against a severely depleted warm weather opponent. In the grand scheme of things, it didn't mean much.

The Rutgers defense played very well most of last year but did have some setbacks including the 42 points Maryland put up against us in the final regular season game. Having said that, it should be the team's biggest strength other than the running game.

Beyond Monangai, Rutgers doesn't really have any proven weapons on offense. That's why we won't be favored to beat half the teams on our schedule. While I still think 7 regular season wins is the likely outcome, I see Virginia Tech as a likely loss on the road and also Washington, the national runner-up, as a guaranteed defeat. The consensus around here seems to be that both those games are likely wins which strikes me as ridiculous and it looks like the betting public feels the same way.

Think of it this way: unless RU pulls off an upset, the team will be 2-2 heading into a road game at Nebraska, where Rutgers has never won. In fact, we've never beaten Nebraska, period. I'm thinking much more about that scenario more than the sunshine and rainbows that largely fill this board.
Fans just keep apologizing for last season. We really should be 3-9.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT