ADVERTISEMENT

Football What is the Rutgers Football over/under for wins in 2024?

I've noticed a lot of people doing just that. Those were good wins for us, I don't understand why people have to denigrate them.

It goes both ways.
I don’t understand people overstating our wins - particularly VT.

Anyone in stadium certainly wouldn’t say we “punched VT in the mouth”.
It was 21-16 early in the 4th quarter before we scored 2 straight TDs.

The irony is it’s usually the same people saying “we blew out VT” and “we were right with OSU, Wisconsin and Iowa and could have won those games.”

Reactions: RULuca
Yikes! Al hijacked Knight's account!!

We went from literally the worst, statistically, graded QB to someone NOT the worst, statistically, graded QB in the country. That equals an upgrade.
That's passing stats only...GW's overall QBR, which takes running into account, was about 80 out of 127...not great but nowhere near the worst.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
That's passing stats only...GW's overall QBR, which takes running into account, was about 80 out of 127...not great but nowhere near the worst.
So his running performance masked his passing abilities...got it.

The over/under being set at 6.5 should be a wake up call to this board, which seems to wildly overrate this team. Remember, RU lost four consecutive games to end the regular season including being shut out at Iowa and blown out at home by Maryland. The bowl win was nice but also basically an outdoor late December home game against a severely depleted warm weather opponent. In the grand scheme of things, it didn't mean much.

The Rutgers defense played very well most of last year but did have some setbacks including the 42 points Maryland put up against us in the final regular season game. Having said that, it should be the team's biggest strength other than the running game.

Beyond Monangai, Rutgers doesn't really have any proven weapons on offense. That's why we won't be favored to beat half the teams on our schedule. While I still think 7 regular season wins is the likely outcome, I see Virginia Tech as a likely loss on the road and also Washington, the national runner-up, as a guaranteed defeat. The consensus around here seems to be that both those games are likely wins which strikes me as ridiculous and it looks like the betting public feels the same way.

Think of it this way: unless RU pulls off an upset, the team will be 2-2 heading into a road game at Nebraska, where Rutgers has never won. In fact, we've never beaten Nebraska, period. I'm thinking much more about that scenario more than the sunshine and rainbows that largely fill this board.
The glass is not half empty. It's contents have been poured into the dirt and the glass has been smashed on the concrete.

I'd much rather a QB who is 80th in passing and last overall (passing and running combiner) than a QB that is last in passing and 80th overall (passing and running combined).

We have RBs to run the ball.
There is noone else on the field to throw the ball.

Reactions: Dpgru
I'd much rather a QB who is 80th in passing and last overall (passing and running combiner) than a QB that is last in passing and 80th overall (passing and running combined).

I mean - just to clarify it probably wouldn’t be mathematically possible to go from 80th rated passer to last overall because of running because of your not a running QB you wouldn’t have enough rush attempts to push you down that far.

I agree with the general intent of your point though. A QB needs to be able to make throws, first and foremost. As a runner - I’d also rather have a guy who scrambles for 2-3 first downs a game on broken plays than a guy who picks up 5 big yardage plays on the season because the offense is designing 50 or so set plays for QB draws (meaning we cashed in 10% of the time).

That makes no sense. One should always want the better QBR rated player. Funny thing is, GW was #81 and guess who was #80 in QBR last year? Yep, AK, lol. I'm not convinced we made much of an upgrade, but then again, I also think we have better O/WR talent this year, so maybe a better passer will make more of an impact in this situation vs. last year. Let's hope so.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr

I'm not convinced we made much of an upgrade

You have just been declared heretic and outlaw. Please prepare for visitors:

WKdHZn6.jpg

The glass is not half empty. It's contents have been poured into the dirt and the glass has been smashed on the concrete.
The team just isn’t as good as many on this board claim it is. At least not yet. The offense is completely one dimensional with only one playmaker. It’s easy for opposing defensive coordinators to prepare for Rutgers, which is why we lost 6 games last year including 4 in a row to end the regular season.

The team just isn’t as good as many on this board claim it is. At least not yet. The offense is completely one dimensional with only one playmaker. It’s easy for opposing defensive coordinators to prepare for Rutgers, which is why we lost 6 games last year including 4 in a row to end the regular season.
Maybe we'll go to a 2-back system where one always swings out for a short pass off a play fake.. I think we have enough RB depth that Monangai is the main threat but if the D does not have an LB or safety dedicated to the RB swinging out that we can hit some big plays out there. Think Rice/Leonard. Maybe this QB can hit the short stuff every time. It'll be nice to see some successful screens.. something we have not done in a decade or more.

We must have been the luckiest team last year. W/o luck, we would’ve won like 3 games instead of 7. I guess my opinion differs.

What was your O/U last year?
Strange take- how many times did bad luck and refs set us back as well. And there is a saying how teams and players make their own luck.

Reactions: Kbee3
That makes no sense. One should always want the better QBR rated player. Funny thing is, GW was #81 and guess who was #80 in QBR last year? Yep, AK, lol. I'm not convinced we made much of an upgrade, but then again, I also think we have better O/WR talent this year, so maybe a better passer will make more of an impact in this situation vs. last year. Let's hope so.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr
I was thinking the other day- what would have Tebows numbers looked like if he was on last years Rutgers offense

Reactions: RU848789
I remember when we had to use our best loss to judge how good we are 😀. If Va Tech improves on run D, they will have a chance. But we pounded them. It’s like a MMA fight. If you can’t stop the takedown, you can’t win.

ETA just watch the quick highlights. KM broke 2 long ones and GW had a great 34 yd TD run too.

FWIW - ESPN’s 2024 pre-season rankings came out today. VTech is ranked 21. There is zero chance that we will be favored, in fact, it will be a pretty big upset if we win.

Nahh. Obviously the team is just missing one key thing......fan FOCUS.

8-9 Wins are in the cards. The best running back room in the conference ; an improved WR group ; continued improvement on the OL; one of the best overall defenses in the conference; more depth on both sides of the ball and an upgrade in the passing game plus a strong team of coaches in all areas.

Reactions: Kbee3
8-9 Wins are in the cards. The best running back room in the conference ; an improved WR group ; continued improvement on the OL; one of the best overall defenses in the conference; more depth on both sides of the ball and an upgrade in the passing game plus a strong team of coaches in all areas.

Yes - but at the same time, expectations should be level set. Last year, we won the games we were supposed to win at the time they were played and lost the ones we were supposed to lose. Literally, those were our results across the board.

Granted we played a collection of 3 top 10 teams in that mix, but still - we also went 0-3 against the other 3 teams who were ranked ahead of us on game day - Iowa, Wisconsin and Maryland.

ESPN’s preseason ranking of 49 for RU projects us behind 8 of the 12 opponents on the schedule. Minny is pretty close at 44 and that game is at home. But the other 7 games are all either road games or home games vs teams ranked significantly better than us preseason (Washington at 35 is the lowest of the home games). This isn’t a cake walk schedule despite what some are making it out to be.

Yes - but at the same time, expectations should be level set. Last year, we won the games we were supposed to win at the time they were played and lost the ones we were supposed to lose. Literally, those were our results across the board.

Granted we played a collection of 3 top 10 teams in that mix, but still - we also went 0-3 against the other 3 teams who were ranked ahead of us on game day - Iowa, Wisconsin and Maryland.

ESPN’s preseason ranking of 49 for RU projects us behind 8 of the 12 opponents on the schedule. Minny is pretty close at 44 and that game is at home. But the other 7 games are all either road games or home games vs teams ranked significantly better than us preseason (Washington at 35 is the lowest of the home games). This isn’t a cake walk schedule despite what some are making it out to be.
Marked improvement would mean pulling off an upset. We might be underdogs at Va Tech this year too. Let's see what happens.

I hope everyone on this board reads your post. The homers here predicting a minimum of 8 wins and probably 9 are need of a reality check. This team has absolutely no proven weapons on the offensive side of the ball other than Monangai. The defense, which got torched by Maryland in the final regular season game, is good but being severely overrated here. The goal this year should be getting back to a bowl and anything beyond that is a big bonus and sign of progress. It would be nice to see attendance improve as well, as that continues to be a problem for the program.

Last edited:

On the bright side- of those 6 games- the only game we were even given a slight chance was against Maryland @ -4
Iowa was -9
Wisc -13
OSU --18.5
PSU - 19.5
Mich -24

And we were not huge favorites in our P5 games we were favorites in.

The bad news- in 2024, as you point out- before the season starts- they see us as favorites in only 4 games

What are the upsets during the Schiano era? I can think of the following:

2006: Louisville
2007: South Florida
2008: Pitt
2009: South Florida
2011: Cincinnati
probably every game we won in 2020.

It would be great to see more than one a season.

On the bright side- of those 6 games- the only game we were even given a slight chance was against Maryland @ -4
Iowa was -9
Wisc -13
OSU --18.5
PSU - 19.5
Mich -24

And we were not huge favorites in our P5 games we were favorites in.

The bad news- in 2024, as you point out- before the season starts- they see us as favorites in only 4 games

It’s a fair point. We’re not going to be 18+ point dogs in any of these games. We could be favored in the Minny game. Most of the others we will probably be 7-10 point underdogs.

I don’t know why folks keep talking about the VTech game as if there is a chance we might be favored. Thats a road game and VTech is ranked ahead of us pretty much everywhere.

I don’t know why folks keep talking about the VTech game as if there is a chance we might be favored. Thats a road game and VTech is ranked ahead of us pretty much everywhere.
Because this board is mostly fantasyland. To 99.9% of college football fans, Rutgers is a historically bad program that lucked its way into the Big Ten. Around here, Rutgers is a 9+ win powerhouse that has sellout crowds and the conference clamoring for them to play big games in primetime. It's comical.

Because this board is mostly fantasyland. To 99.9% of college football fans, Rutgers is a historically bad program that lucked its way into the Big Ten. Around here, Rutgers is a 9+ win powerhouse that has sellout crowds and the conference clamoring for them to play big games in primetime. It's comical.
There is good news bad news with this- the bad- sets up people for failure...As they now are talking like 7 wins is a complete failure. Not realizing that while the schule is easier, it isn't like we beat anyone that we were underdogs to and even though the spreads will be lower- we will still be underdogs.

the good news- I haven't seen anyone outside of Al that has expected more then 4-5 wins any given season- so the excitement is coming back

Reactions: RutgersSC
There is good news bad news with this- the bad- sets up people for failure...As they now are talking like 7 wins is a complete failure. Not realizing that while the schule is easier, it isn't like we beat anyone that we were underdogs to and even though the spreads will be lower- we will still be underdogs.

the good news- I haven't seen anyone outside of Al that has expected more then 4-5 wins any given season- so the excitement is coming back
7 win team with a lot coming back. We upgraded at WR and QB. Add in the easier schedule. 7+ is a must.

• Haha
7 win team with a lot coming back. We upgraded at WR and QB. Add in the easier schedule. 7+ is a must.
you are missing the point- while the 6 games we lost to last year were more difficult then we have this year- did we actually close the gap with the 6-8 teams on our schedule this year that were actually better than us last year? We went from a schedule with a number of games were sure losses to a schedule were a number of games are most likely losses.

you are missing the point- while the 6 games we lost to last year were more difficult then we have this year- did we actually close the gap with the 6-8 teams on our schedule this year that were actually better than us last year? We went from a schedule with a number of games were sure losses to a schedule were a number of games are most likely losses.

This. And Vegas actually projected us as the favorite in more games last year. While the schedule isn’t as top heavy, the bottom / middle portion of the schedule will be more difficult for us after Temple/Wagner Akron/Howard.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
This. And Vegas actually projected us as the favorite in more games last year. While the schedule isn’t as top heavy, the bottom / middle portion of the schedule will be more difficult for us after Temple/Wagner Akron/Howard.
the good news- after 10 years that at some point of each season- we would have a 4-5 game stretch where you were going to take a physical beating that it is hard for anyone but elite to recover from- we don't really have that type of stretch this year,

I also find it funny that people thought we didn’t overachieve last year.

This too- we way over achieved last year. prior to the year- most thought 2-4 wins and 6 wins would be COY material.

Looking back, I think we exceeded expectations in the sense that we avoided a “let down”. We won 7 out of 8 games that we had a reasonable change to win (we were short handed for Maryland but it was still only a 3 point spread so that was winnable on paper). Taking care of business consistently and beating the teams your supposed to beat 7 out of 7 times is not “nothing”, shouldn’t be overlooked and exceeds expectations as a “bad day” should always be built into a projection.

That said - I think it’s a reach to put it the way you just did. Projections of only 2-4 wins were mainly about misforecasting the strength of our opponents. VTech was missing a third of their starting D at the time we played them. We weren’t supposed to be favored vs NW but then they fired their coach and the program was in chaos when we played them. Miami obviously wasn’t part of the original projection. Indiana turned out to be worse than most thought. And so on. I think our success was more about that than it was about our team being that much better than what was originally expected.

• Haha
Reactions: jtung230
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT