ADVERTISEMENT

What is your Rutgers football dream schedule?

ScarletKid2008

All American
Sep 8, 2006
Bergen County, NJ
With all this conference movement and RU being matched up regularly against teams we would've never even dreamed about 12 years ago.

If you stripped away conferences in 2024 and RU had a competitive chance against any team in the country. You become the schedule maker for 2024. What is your dream 12 game schedule ??

Assume conferences don't exist anymore. Try to mix it up for fun rivalries + exciting new match-ups + some level of winnable games at teams current standing (but assume RU becomes at least mediocre and can compete with any given team but isn't going 12-0 unless you got all Bucknells, Delewares on there.

Here's my shot at it:

Opener: Away at Texas
Week 2: Home vs Syracuse
Week 3: Away at Michigan
Week 4: Home vs Maryland
Week 5: Home vs ND
Week 6: Away at Ole Miss
Week 7: Home vs Nebraska
Week 8: Away at LSU (night game)
Week 9: Home vs Louisville or WVU
Week 10: Away at Arizona St
Week 11: Away at UCLA
Week 12: Home vs Penn St (night game)

Conference Championship Game: in Miami vs Miami

Wow that’s a great schedule, not sure what i would change. Easy to say @ Alabama but people say that’s actually a boring atmosphere. Maybe swap that with @Texas or @Michigan. Otherwise, great schedule!

NY-NJ metro league
Wagner
Princeton
FIT
Kean
Iona
NYU
Colombia
Manhattan
Monmouth
NY-NJ state championship game vs. Syracuse - alternating sites between Red Bulls Stadium Harrison and minor league stadium in Staten Island
Signed - Greg Schiano

*All games shown exclusively on peacock tape delayed

Being charitable, that is a 4-8 season at best. What is the dream here? The travel locations?

At best. All of the Top 5 schedule a few breathers during the season to heal. And they're usually easier than Syracuse. Rutgers doesn't have the depth for that schedule. Few do.

At best. All of the Top 5 schedule a few breathers during the season to heal. And they're usually easier than Syracuse. Rutgers doesn't have the depth for that schedule. Few do.

It’s a fantasy schedule. And one of the assumptions is that Rutgers is a #20-46 type program. Which is its own fantasy at the moment lol

Reactions: RUScrew85
It would be neat to play at Death Valley Clemson or Norman Oklahoma.

Great suggestions guys.

teams / every other year

Miami/FSU

Arkansas/LSU

WV

Pitt/Syracuse

USC/UCLA

UNLV

ASU

Texas/Oklahoma

Northwestern

Virginia

Michigan/Ohio St

Temple/UConn

For NU:
H-Oregon
A-North Carolina
A-USC
H-Penn St
A-Clemson
H-LSU
H-Ohio St
A-Miami
A-Texas A&M
H-Alabama
A-Washington
H-Oklahoma

All games at 1:30pm CST and no TV. Either be there or listen on radio like the old days.

No away games on TV?

Past Dream ….06. Cuse game was after Louisville then @ Cinn. That cuse team sucked. We could’ve won a closer then wanted game then headed to Cincinnati.
We were up 31-0 before cuse scored

Syracuse
BC
WVU
Penn State
Maryland
V tech
Miami
Pitt
Army (OCC)
Temple. (OCC)
Michigan (OCC)
UNC (OCC)

Reactions: garyrc70
Past Dream ….06. Cuse game was after Louisville then @ Cinn. That cuse team sucked. We could’ve won a closer then wanted game then headed to Cincinnati.
We were up 31-0 before cuse scored
Cuse game was after that but before WVU. WVU lost to USF at home that day giving us an excellent opportunity.

Middle TN State (Home)
@Oregon
USC (Home)
Pitt (Home)
@Vanderbilt
@UCLA

(Then the rest of the usual Big Ten suspects)

Rutgers at Army would be on my dream schedule.
West Point was such a fun trip (except the nonstop rain game) that we still head up for one game a year during a Rutgers bye or away game. Started with 4 of us Rutgers fans for a couple years, slowly grew to 14.

For NU:
H-Oregon
A-North Carolina
A-USC
H-Penn St
A-Clemson
H-LSU
H-Ohio St
A-Miami
A-Texas A&M
H-Alabama
A-Washington
H-Oklahoma

All games at 1:30pm CST and no TV. Either be there or listen on radio like the old days.
NO COLORADO? Blasphemy, you two had such a good thing going there for a while. Attended a few of those games back in the 90's and that was college football at its purest.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
NO COLORADO? Blasphemy, you two had such a good thing going there for a while. Attended a few of those games back in the 90's and that was college football at its purest.
Ehhh, Oklahoma was/is the big one. Any other teams we played might be a “rivalry” but not a big enough one to have on a dream schedule.

Big come from behind win if I recall correctly. Circa 2003/2004
I checked on that because I remember it being a big comeback too. We were down 34-16 and came back to win 37-34. I thought we were down by even more than that for some reason. Anyway, Brian Leonard had 4 TDs and Ryan Hart and Tres Moses had big games too. Jay Cutler was the starting QB for Vanderbilt.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Ehhh, Oklahoma was/is the big one. Any other teams we played might be a “rivalry” but not a big enough one to have on a dream schedule.

OU-Colorado never reached the level of OU-Nebraska. Anyone who watched the '71 game can tell you that.

West Point was such a fun trip (except the nonstop rain game) that we still head up for one game a year during a Rutgers bye or away game. Started with 4 of us Rutgers fans for a couple years, slowly grew to 14.
I think I had hypothermia at the rain game.

• Haha
Reactions: koleszar
I checked on that because I remember it being a big comeback too. We were down 34-16 and came back to win 37-34. I thought we were down by even more than that for some reason. Anyway, Brian Leonard had 4 TDs and Ryan Hart and Tres Moses had big games too. Jay Cutler was the starting QB for Vanderbilt.
Yep. I remember there was a somewhat controversial call on the last play of the game involving Cutler. Can't remember exactly what it was though. I'm almost sure it was Cutler completing a long pass play that was nullified for some reason. Maybe it was that he was called for being past the LOS or something.

Reactions: dasonata259
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT