ADVERTISEMENT

What was the first Rutgers game you attended

Nov 2002 Rutgers vs Miami
The game Nate Jones was robbed of a 100 yd interception return for a TD.
The kinda call the #1 team in the country gets.
Rutgers leading 17 to 14 the end of third qtr.
They scored 4x`s in the 4th qtr.
I really believed if the phantom pass interference call didn't happen we would have won that game.
I've been hooked ever since!!!

10/20/84 Rutgers Stadium. RU 38 UL 21 I was a senior in High School and a bunch of us bandos from Parsippany High went to the game to also watch the Marching Band. Our Band Director was a MGSA alum. We sent 5 (including myself) to MGSA as Music Ed Majors next fall of '85...

Reactions: RUaMoose
‘83 walked with my friends dad from 6th ward through Buc Park, Across Landing Lane Bridge and up Sutton Lane. Coach bought three tix for like $10 bucks and we sat on the old wood bleachers. It was awesome.

October 1971, RU vs Cornell at home.....

Ed Marinaro was a bull running the ball all game long, and we lost at home....this was the only game I went to as an undergraduate

We did play Columbia at the first game at Giants Stadium.
Me too! I was a HS Senior. That was the undefeated season. My second game was also in Giant's Stadium the following year during Freshman orientation. We got brought back down to Earth by a VERY good PSU team 45-7.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
1st road game:
80-7 beatdown in Morgantown in 2001.
And all the drunk WV rednecks giving us grief as we left the stadium.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Isn’t that the game we blew after beating Tennessee on the road?

i believe so...also I think RU lost to William and Mary the week after almost upsetting Alabama

We won these tix through the Messenger Gazette football contest and i went with my dad...disappointing to say the least to lose to Nova

Me too! I was a HS Senior. That was the undefeated season. My second game was also in Giant's Stadium the following year during Freshman orientation. We got brought back down to Earth by a VERY good PSU team 45-7.

My first Rutgers game was the State Penn game. I was there to watch my big
sister. She was a freshman at Rutgers and in the band.

Reactions: BuckRU
The first Rutgers football game I attended was on October 26, 1974 when RU defeated Air Force 20-3. My wife and I married on June 29. 1974 and she had graduated from Douglass in 1972. We attended with her girlfriend and her husband as she also graduated from Douglass in 1972.

October 21, 1950: Rutgers 42 NYU 0. I was not quite 8 years old. My parents, my aunt, and I sat on the West side, around 25 rows up on about the 35 yard line, to the right of midfield.
Too lazy to look up the year but I’d say around ‘89 at GS vs Pitt. I just remember Ironhead Hayward looking like a man amongst boys and rushing for a ton of yards. Needless to say RU didn’t have its best showing that day.

First football game was Cornell at Rutgers, October 1976
First basketball game was Rutgers vs LIU at MSG, February 1976 (win #25)

Rutgers vs Morgan St. Nov 18, 1972.
My Dad took me because he had free tickets from his job.
Ru won 37-14. J.J. Jennings was amazing. He was faster than any player on the field and even some cars in the parking lot.

Oct. 2 1971. Ed Marinaro and Cornell beat RU. 6th Grade.
That was Marinaro's Heisman year where he came in a close #2.
Also got a climpse of a Rutgers playing in one of his early playing days...JJ. He was a somph as frosh couldn't play back then). Only carried 60 times that year.

October 1971, RU vs Cornell at home.....

Ed Marinaro was a bull running the ball all game long, and we lost at home....this was the only game I went to as an undergraduate
Should have quoted you...that was mine too. I was 12. My friend's father taught history at RU. We sat right up by the Cannon. He took us to like 2 games each year.

That was my first game as Scarlet Knight. We beat BC in the first-ever Big East football game.

Ahhh, didnt realize you transferred after CU's 1990 co-NC season. Thought it was after 91/before 92.

Yes, I believe it was also technically the first BE conf game ever due to the noon kickoff and there may have been at least one other BE matchup but it wasn't kicking off until later in the day.

Last edited:
August 31, 1996. RU 38, Nova 28. My first game was also Terry Shea's first game. My undergraduate career did not see a lot of wins (8, to be exact), but that was one of them. There was an epic food fight in the student section, which at that time sat right on the 50 yard line.

Rutgers - Miami 2002. Made the #1 team in the country sweat thru 3 quarters with Ted Trump at QB. Against a team with Andre Johnson, McGahee, Frank Gore, Kellen Winslow, Jon Vilma, Antrel Rolle, Sean Taylor, Vince Wilfork, Jerome McDougle, William Joseph, DJ Williams, and Kelly Jennings...

Mine as well, but it was Sat. 8/31 actually. Remember sitting first row, north endzone/student section. Marshall Roberts with a pick 6 and ran right towards us until he got mobbed by teammates at the base of the wall.

You'll have to forgive me (re: the date). At this stage of the game, my memory isn't what it used to be.

I was a Junior and leading one of those new student orientation things that weekend for the Freshmen. One of the activities was "taking / chaperoning" the new students to a game. I probably wouldn't have thought to go to a game (there wasn't really that much to root for during my first few years) but I did it as part of the welcome weekend. You and I were probably seated a few rows apart! I had a great time, hootin' and hollarin' the whole time. It was great.

I didn't go to another game until grad school a couple of years later. It didn't have the same impact, really. Everything turned around in '05 (Schiano taking the team to its first bowl game in years). The difference in the atmosphere at the games was palpable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT