ADVERTISEMENT

What was the most lopsided Rutgers victory you ever attended?

2006 Rutgers at Navy Marine Corp Stadium. 34-0. Navy was a very good team. 5-1 entering the game. Rutgers D dominates. Navy had just over a 100 yards on 50 carries. Could have been worse but RU had 3 turnovers. Got them to 6-0.
As always a great time in Annapolis.

2006 Rutgers at Navy Marine Corp Stadium. 34-0. Navy was a very good team. 5-1 entering the game. Rutgers D dominates. Navy had just over a 100 yards on 50 carries. Could have been worse but RU had 3 turnovers. Got them to 6-0.
As always a great time in Annapolis.
You realize this thread was about a Rutgers VICTORY, don't you?

Yes. Rutgers 34. Navy 0 October 2006.
Oh, sheet, my bad, I got the years mixed up and thought you were referring to that 2004 debacle in Annapolis. Completely forgot about the 2006 game, which I shouldn't have because I watched both the 2004 and 2006 games. DUH!

Oh, sheet, my bad, I got the years mixed up and thought you were referring to that 2004 debacle in Annapolis. Completely forgot about the 2006 game, which I shouldn't have because I watched both the 2004 and 2006 games. DUH!
That's why I considered it lopsided because of the last visit there. My wife and I went to every game that year and that was our favorite road trip by far. We were at the 2004 game as well.

Definitely Louisville 2008 stands out the most to me out of any game against a non-scrub team, partly because of the way we simply destroyed them with that incredible passing display. Prior to the Schiano era, the Temple drubbing in 1993 stands out.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Thanks to the other “seniors “ for their memories of the 50’s & 60’s blowouts. I don’t need to recount them here.

If not just football, the Ladies beat down this very season of Coppin State, 107-33. The next game following the 74-point beat down, was a 50-point victory over Niagara

*October 28,1978 Rutgers 69 Columbia 0
Giants Stadium - East Rutherford, NJ Attendance: 7,765
*acting head coach Bob Naso, Frank Burns recovering from a heart attack

All Time Rutgers Record:

*October 9, 1915 Rutgers 96 Rensselaer 0
Neilson Field, New Brunswick, NJ
*Paul Robeson's first appearance in a Rutgers game

I broadcasted the Columbia game for WRSU. Total beat down. We had a great broadcast location. We scored so much I had laryngitis by the middle of the fourth quarter.

Reactions: wisr01
was at both of those.. but I only remember the Louisville game.

Not score-wise.. but the most effective beat-down I saw was when Illinois visited and did not pass the 50-yard line in 2006.. 33-0.. that was when I first thought we might have something special here.. I couldn't believe the D was better after losing some good talent.
Our seats are on the west side about the 25 yard line toward the scoreboard. It seemed like Illinois played most of the game in front of us and not in a good way. Great defensive effort by our guys.

Reactions: redking
I broadcasted the Columbia game for WRSU. Total beat down. We had a great broadcast location. We scored so much I had laryngitis by the middle of the fourth quarter.
My Dad and his group decided to have a shot for every score during the Giants/Redskins game the year I was born...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...eld-goal-in-the-final-seconds-of-a-72-41-win/

My Mom was so happy it was an away game so my Dad wasn’t driving. He just watched it in the local bar when they were still living in Jersey City.

Last edited:
Our seats are on the west side about the 25 yard line toward the scoreboard. It seemed like Illinois played most of the game in front of us and not in a good way. Great defensive effort by our guys.
yeah.. remarkable.. it was not ineptitude on the part of Illinois.. it was our D clicking on all cylinders. Some great scouting.. maybe GS took some cheating notes from Belichick. But seeing the D fly around at the snap and gang-tackle the ball over-and-over. Soooo impressive.

Illinois lost a lot of games.. but late-season they threw a scare into an Ohio State team that would go on to lose in the BCS Championship game. (OSU won 17-10 with Illinois driving 80 yards late)

Of other sports.. BBALL whipping a very good Nova team.. and probably last year beatdown at the RAC of SHU were most impressive.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
2008 RU vs Pitt. 54 -34. Teel hung 6 TD passes on them. It wasn't as close as the score and wasn't a bad team.

2008 RU vs Pitt. 54 -34. Teel hung 6 TD passes on them. It wasn't as close as the score and wasn't a bad team.
That was the most remarkable, unexpected turnaround I ever saw at RU. Start out 1-5, only beating Morgan St. Than we luck out against UConn when they miss a game winning FG and we survive. It was like the flood gates opening for us. We must have lead the nation in scoring for 5 weeks with some big points on the road too. Than we win the Bowl in Alabama and have a great year. Who would have thunk it.

59-0 win over Buffalo in 2000. I remember thinking that Rutgers may actually have a good team this year as they were now 2-0. Rutgers went 1-8 (only other win was against a 1-10 Navy) the rest of the season getting blown out in most games.

That game was right in the middle of my undergrad years and it's still the 'easiest' win I've ever seen us have against an FBS team...but my friends and I all knew exactly what it was; a subpar team (us) beating an absolutely terrible team. UB had just transitioned to 1A/FBS in '99 and I think had moved from D-III to 1-AA in '91.

The '08 Louisville and '05 Cincy games were probably the most dominant I've seen us play against conference/ P5 teams ('06 Illinois perhaps too but that was more the defense and special teams that day). The '14 QL Bowl was shaping up to be one of those games but we let up those 2 late TD's that made the score look much closer than it actually was. You can also put the '06 Texas Bowl up on the list too; K-State's only TD was off a punt return and we probably easily left 13+ points on the field.

Joe P.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
That was the most remarkable, unexpected turnaround I ever saw at RU. Start out 1-5, only beating Morgan St.
The funny thing was the first 6 games, we just could NOT get our offense on track. We lost to 3 teams by a combined 12 points, Navy (23-21), WVU (24-17) & Cincy (13-10).

After we squeaked out that 12-10 over Yukon, we then went 5-0 over Pitt, Cuse, USF, Army and UL with an average margin of victory of 29.4. Over those 5 games we averaged 46.2 points per game. In our 5 losses we averaged 13.4 points per game.

I remember discussing this with Aditi over the first half of the season, my best comparison was an engine that wasn't firing on all cylinders. For example, Teel just did not seem to be on the same page with his WR's - overthrows, the throws didn't match the routes, etc.

The funny thing was the first 6 games, we just could NOT get our offense on track. We lost to 3 teams by a combined 12 points, Navy (23-21), WVU (24-17) & Cincy (13-10).

After we squeaked out that 12-10 over Yukon, we then went 5-0 over Pitt, Cuse, USF, Army and UL with an average margin of victory of 29.4. Over those 5 games we averaged 46.2 points per game. In our 5 losses we averaged 13.4 points per game.

I remember discussing this with Aditi over the first half of the season, my best comparison was an engine that wasn't firing on all cylinders. For example, Teel just did not seem to be on the same page with his WR's - overthrows, the throws didn't match the routes, etc.

I still think McNulty was also calling the offense as if we still had Ray Rice (the Fresno, Cincy and Navy games really illustrated this IMO). Our offense was 'pass to set up the run' in terms of personnel. I think you do make a good point though; the offensive timing was totally disjointed in our first 6 games and our wideouts were dropping every other pass it seemed.

Joe P.

Interesting fact from 2008: Mike Teel had the two highest individual passer rating performances (single game) in the nation that year. The games were Louisville and Pitt. One of my all-time favorite tidbits.

From the Pitt game: "Hey, Teel just connected with Britt for another TD!"

34-0 @Navy in 2006. Navy QB broke his leg in the 2Q. Our D was all over their option that day.

That was a big game...Was the first game they finally got our OL put together the right way too. Never forget walking into the stadium for that game and Pitt fans making fun of us for booing our team so much...Would just stop in front of us and start booing and then laugh and say, "just wanted to get you guys started early today"

I say this was Schiano's worst to best coaching performance. Worst, because he allowed a few players to come into camp with "NFL" on their shoulders and let them get away with a lot of shit. Add in that he messed around with the OL too much with the brilliant idea to load up the left side with the 2 best OL regardless of where their best position was.
Best, was the turnaround. PArtly because he and the few players who came into the season thinking it was going to be easy, got their shit together. The players, realizing their stock was dropping and they were falling way down in the draft at that point. And for him to allow the change in the OL and let McNulty to open up the playbook for Teel.

I still think McNulty was also calling the offense as if we still had Ray Rice (the Fresno, Cincy and Navy games really illustrated this IMO). Our offense was 'pass to set up the run' in terms of personnel. I think you do make a good point though; the offensive timing was totally disjointed in our first 6 games and our wideouts were dropping every other pass it seemed.

Joe P.
See above...I also remember asking Kevin why we never saw a play action or even a pitch out to a RB. If you start watching the games later that year, both were a big part of the game plan. Sucks- though, if we had gone into the year playing like we were capable of, that year could have rivaled 06.

I say this was Schiano's worst to best coaching performance. Worst, because he allowed a few players to come into camp with "NFL" on their shoulders and let them get away with a lot of shit. Add in that he messed around with the OL too much with the brilliant idea to load up the left side with the 2 best OL regardless of where their best position was.
Best, was the turnaround. PArtly because he and the few players who came into the season thinking it was going to be easy, got their shit together. The players, realizing their stock was dropping and they were falling way down in the draft at that point. And for him to allow the change in the OL and let McNulty to open up the playbook for Teel.

See above...I also remember asking Kevin why we never saw a play action or even a pitch out to a RB. If you start watching the games later that year, both were a big part of the game plan. Sucks- though, if we had gone into the year playing like we were capable of, that year could have rivaled 06.

I'll never forget reading a thread about us on the WVU board after our USF game where the OP basically said, 'thank goodness we played Rutgers when we did because if we played them now, I think we would lose'. We were probably the best team in the league from the Pitt game through the rest of the year.

Joe P.

I'll never forget reading a thread about us on the WVU board after our USF game where the OP basically said, 'thank goodness we played Rutgers when we did because if we played them now, I think we would lose'. We were probably the best team in the league from the Pitt game through the rest of the year.

Joe P.
Top 10-20 in the Nation if not better through that game on...

Rutgers whipped Boston University several times in the 70s, scoring in the 40s, 50s, and 60s on three occasions. In 1972 I think the final was 51-7. I remember because my brother was a BU grad. ;-). Another Colgate game started where Colgate took the opening drive for a TD, followed by a pick-6 for a 14-0 lead in the early going. Rutgers scored the next 52 points.

I agree with / attended most of the games already mentioned but I recall the RU-Buffalo game in 2000. RU won 59-0. I brought my son (5 at the time) and the crowd was small so we walked around the whole stadium. I remember leaving after the 3rd qtr since it was a night game and he was young and listening to a giddy Bruce Johnson on the radio driving home. Loved Bruce but thought it was a little over the top for an overmatched Buffalo team that night. It's actually hard for me to say a Shea lead team dominated another team.

Rutgers whipped Boston University several times in the 70s, scoring in the 40s, 50s, and 60s on three occasions. In 1972 I think the final was 51-7. I remember because my brother was a BU grad. ;-). Another Colgate game started where Colgate took the opening drive for a TD, followed by a pick-6 for a 14-0 lead in the early going. Rutgers scored the next 52 points.
We beat Boston U at home 6-0 in the fog game. Could hardly tell what was going on for most of the game. I think the TD was scored on an interception run back. It looked like something you might see in the Grey Cup.

I agree with / attended most of the games already mentioned but I recall the RU-Buffalo game in 2000. RU won 59-0. I brought my son (5 at the time) and the crowd was small so we walked around the whole stadium. I remember leaving after the 3rd qtr since it was a night game and he was young and listening to a giddy Bruce Johnson on the radio driving home. Loved Bruce but thought it was a little over the top for an overmatched Buffalo team that night. It's actually hard for me to say a Shea lead team dominated another team.

You summed it up well; it was like finding a small gold nugget in the middle of the desert with minimal water and food-nice for what it is but you're still in the middle of the desert with minimal water and food. My wife (girlfriend and the time) and I left at the start of the 4th quarter to go to a comedy/ improv show in Montclair that my best friend was helping out with and caught the rest of the game on the radio. I remember listening as the 3rd/4th team drove down inside the 10 but didn't score. I also remember my girlfriend/ later wife saying something like, 'wow, 59-0, they're going to be good this year' and me responding with, 'maybe, but I don't know about that. Buffalo is really bad.'

I looked up UB's record for 2000 and was shocked that they went 2-9 (beat Bowling Green and Kent State by matching 20-17 scores); that was 2 more games than I thought they had won that year. Outside of some 1-AA/FCS crossover games the 2000 Buffalo game is still the 'easiest' Rutgers win against a 1A/FBS school I have ever witnessed in person. It played out like a spring game. It seemed like our WR's had 5-yard bubbles around them every other pass.

Joe P.

Last edited:
I might have to go with this.
I discount home games and hardly consider a paid body bag game for the purpose of this discussion.
Nothing quite as sweet as going up against someone you have some history with and have taken some beatings from, and handing them their head in their house.
That one was fun.

2008 was a frustrating season. From 1 - 5 to start the season to arguably the best in league by the end of the season. We hung 49 against Louisville in the first half alone.
I'm still looking for video of the L'ville DC apparently wanting to fight GS on the way to the locker room at half. It was the buzz with the ESPN crew afterward but we never got the chance to see a scuffle that apparently happened.

Reactions: zazoo2002
Seriously??? I never heard about that.
Ron English was his name. Funny thing was he became the Head Coach at Eastern Michigan. He was the coach when we beat them in 2013. He got fired that year. I actually thought he was going to get his revenge for the Louisville game then, but sadly it came a few years later under Ash.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
Points wise, 2017 Morgan State 65-0, followed by 2000 Buffalo 59-0

Against teams of equal footing, 2008 UL 63-14 (we want 70 chants)

However the 2006 game vs Illinois was the most dominate i've seen an RU team. 33-0 (30-0 at half), Illinois never crossing midfield

Reactions: Scarlet16E
Wicks and Sticks! What a team. My favorite player was Lynn Foley, whose job seemed to be to keep Sue Wicks in the right spot, make put backs, and calm everybody down when things got out of hand a bit. Man, loved going to the games back then.
I also remember the "We want a hundred!" chants with them on the court!

However the 2006 game vs Illinois was the most dominate i've seen an RU team. 33-0 (30-0 at half), Illinois never crossing midfield
And it was especially sweet after losing to them in OT the year before, 33-30. It's still hard to believe we lost after this run by Brian Leonard put us up 27-7:

The Louisville 08 game was just a huge party in the stands and it being RU's big rival made it that way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT