ADVERTISEMENT

What Weights Do We Target and Who Do We Target in Transfer Portal?

Boone in the Portal
Wow, that really blows. Hopefully the program can scratch some NIL money together to get the Harvard kid. Otherwise with no upperweight coach or SKWC member to workout with, I see it being a real tough pull. I highly doubt Jimmy Larson showing up once in a while will be enough.

Last edited:
Lots of talk that Slavikouski from Harvard is going to Michingan so would be surprised if he ends up here TBH but i've certainly been wrong before.

Updated from my last post, here are the latest Portal guys.

Last updated March 27.

Athlete​
Year​
Weight​
Entered Portal​
Transferring From​
Izzak OlejnikGraduate
165​
March 27​
Northern Illinois
Bryer HallSophomore
174​
March 27​
Ohio State
Hunter MaysSophomore
165​
March 27​
Rider
Jacob HansenJunior
184​
March 24​
CSU Bakersfield
Ryan CatkaJunior
285​
March 24​
Navy
Keegan RobersonFreshman
157​
March 24​
Campbell
Bernie TruaxSenior
197​
March 23​
Cal Poly
Boone McDermottGraduate
285​
March 23​
Rutgers
Antonio SaldateGraduate
133​
March 23​
Cal Baptist
Aaron KurzerFreshman
125​
March 23​
Rutgers
Zach SodaSophomore
141​
March 23​
Edinboro
Wyatt MillerJunior
197​
March 23​
App State
Colton SmitleyFreshman
133​
March 22​
West Virginia
David BertrandSophomore
184​
March 22​
Presbyterian
Jack MarlowJunior
141​
March 22​
Buffalo
Seth NevillsGraduate
285​
March 21​
Penn State
Caelan RileyFreshman
125​
March 21​
Citadel
Matt RyanSophomore
149​
March 21​
Buffalo
Khalid BrinkleyGraduate
149​
March 20​
Presbyterian

We absolutely need to be all over Hunter Mays. Wonder what happened there. There’s a mini pipeline between Howell and Rider.

Hunter Mays would have been an interesting pickup at one time but he took a lot of bad and curious loses this year. Not sure what happened, if he wasn’t motivated or wasn’t getting the right training/development.

Would be interested in kicking the tires if the price is right but can’t see committing any serious amount of scholarship money to a guy who went 16-17 in the MAC.

Reactions: KidDagger
We absolutely need to be all over Hunter Mays. Wonder what happened there. There’s a mini pipeline between Howell and Rider.
Not really.. maybe pre college but he didn’t look too good at Rider.. not sure if he would win the starting job here. But yeah if we are looking for more depth/doesn’t cost too much/ build a pipeline possibly? Then sure why not …

Imo we gotta go after that Izzak AA this year at a needed weight… Bernie Truax would be amazing but heard he’s leaning PSU?? Seth Nevills would be good at HWT if we don’t land the Harvard kid..

Reactions: Leonard23
Wow, that really blows. Hopefully the program can scratch some NIL money together to get the Harvard kid. Otherwise with no upperweight coach or SKWC member to workout with, I see it being a real tough pull. I highly doubt Jimmy Larson showing up once in a while will be enough.

Did the Harvard Heavyweight have his visit and if so, does anyone know how it went?

Hunter Mays would have been an interesting pickup at one time but he took a lot of bad and curious loses this year. Not sure what happened, if he wasn’t motivated or wasn’t getting the right training/development.

Would be interested in kicking the tires if the price is right but can’t see committing any serious amount of scholarship money to a guy who went 16-17 in the MAC.
After an unimpressive start, would he even be expecting money? Was he getting scholarship at Rider?

Excluding redshirts, incoming freshman, current seniors, and assuming no weight changes, here is where Flo currently ranks our guys for next year.

125 Peterson 7th
133 No One
141 Olivieri 21st
149 White 14th
157 Clark 15th
165 No One
174 Turley 19th
184 Soldano 8th
197 No One
UNL Boone 11th (his return not Certain)

What weight do we target and who?
I'll take Cannon for 133 please

Would be a massive pickup and makes sense given he's graduated, from NJ, and at a weight of potential need.
If Cannon can go 141, that'd be ideal as it would allow Peterson to stay at 125 and Shawver to go 133. Olivieri can move up to 149, and I heard White is trying to bulk up to 165. Might need some serious work all around in the weight room, but if the team can pull it off, things will look much better next season.

If Cannon can go 141, that'd be ideal as it would allow Peterson to stay at 125 and Shawver to go 133. Olivieri can move up to 149, and I heard White is trying to bulk up to 165. Might need some serious work all around in the weight room, but if the team can pull it off, things will look much better next season.
Cannon has two years of eligibility(of course if he wants to use both). If he wants to go 133, so be it. If he wants to go 141, that would allow Olivieri to redshirt. Olivieri struggled at 141, IMHO he is not ready for 149 next season. We also have not seen Shawver at 133 yet. Sometimes guys who bump up it works, sometimes it does not work.

If u have a chance to bring in a multi time AA at any weight, you take it.
We have no one else with his achievements.
He is very similar to a Seabass transfer
Almost too similar to Seabass transfer 🤔🤔.. both woulda been 2x AA Grad student w/ 2 more year eligibility prior to coming to RU, both attended Northwestern prior to transfer, both prior from NJ, and both wrestled at 133… very eerily similar coincidences 🤔🤔

Almost too similar to Seabass transfer 🤔🤔.. both woulda been 2x AA Grad student w/ 2 more year eligibility prior to coming to RU, both attended Northwestern prior to transfer, both prior from NJ, and both wrestled at 133… very eerily similar coincidences 🤔🤔
Some coincidental similarities but not quite Rivera level. And he went 1-2 in this year's NCAA tournament. Are you sure he has two more years of eligibility?

Some coincidental similarities but not quite Rivera level. And he went 1-2 in this year's NCAA tournament. Are you sure he has two more years of eligibility?
They both from same home state, wrestled same weight, both 2xAA, both from NW, if CC goes to RU(I like how we r all talking bout it like it’s likely) I mean has that ever happened in history of transfer? I think CC has 2 eligible years if he chooses to use it.. not 100%(kinda like how Cstar can be 5x champ n wrestle 5 seasons if he wants bc Covid year)…
Yes, Rivera is more national contender lvl and CC would be more AA level.. if we wanna nitpick but his path here would be nearly identical to Rivera ,which, would b pretty amazing…

Travis Mastrogiavanni in the transfer portal now. Pretty crazy. His parents moved to Oklahoma and bought a zoo.

After an unimpressive start, would he even be expecting money? Was he getting scholarship at Rider?
Probably wasn't paying a dime at Rider ( one of the highest ranked recruits in Rider History? or close to it ) . Hunter was a 2x NJ Champ and ranked pretty high Nationally . I wouldn't call his True Freshman year too unimpressive because he did win starting spot, won 16 bouts and started season 10-2 against a good schedule. Beat our NCAA Qualifier O'Neil 12-5... The D1 grind/injuries caught up to him as a True Frosh and he struggled late...Would love to add him to roster with a RS year and 3 years of eligibility left. No Big $ yet but that can change

Last edited:
Sorry I was thinking of Trevor. He wouldn’t really fit here with Peterson and shawyver
Maybe he would, personally I don’t think he would beat Peterson but a lot on the board are in favor of having weights 3 deep with quality depth.. in case if starter goes down, we got a NQ to back up to win the dual, and if the backup goes down we got a backup to the backup.. no weights shall be forfeited! And w/ 3 guys that can all start in a weight it would create iron sharpens…..Iron where the starter will be pushed to the moon.

Maybe he would, personally I don’t think he would beat Peterson but a lot on the board are in favor of having weights 3 deep with quality depth.. in case if starter goes down, we got a NQ to back up to win the dual, and if the backup goes down we got a backup to the backup.. no weights shall be forfeited! And w/ 3 guys that can all start in a weight it would create iron sharpens…..Iron where the starter will be pushed to the moon.
Can’t imagine anyone would transfer in to play 2nd or 3rd fiddle. And while I agree on the iron/iron, there’s only so much money to go around. This is why the portal has been lighting up like a Christmas tree more recently

Reactions: KidDagger
Per the Penn State site, Richie Schnyderite said that Sanderson is meeting with Chris Cannon
Cannon would fit in perfectly wit the timeline over there.. don’t think PSU had anyone good backing up RBY to take his spot at 33… have a feeling they will recruit over Howard too at 125.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT