ADVERTISEMENT

Why does the band keep truncating “The Bells Must Ring” before the R U Rah! Rah! cheer?

Scarlet83

All American
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Everyone in my row has noticed this. And no one likes it! BOTH home hoops games, the band plays the first part of the song, everyone is into it, then just when everyone is ready to yell out the “RU RAH RAH…” chant, the band skips to the very end of the song.

WHY?

The song and the cheer is our fight song. It is uniquely Rutgers! When I first heard the chant it was so cool and impressive. This song and cheer really gets everyone amped!!

We are begging the band to play the entire song. Our song. Please play the first two verses of the song, so it includes the cheer. Just like we have always been doing. It’s an awesome song/cheer and it’s a tradition.

Last edited:
It is quite obvious … the band doesn’t like the words” Upstream RED TEAM… What else could be the reasoning that after all the years they now choose to do this.

And who gives the band director his power? He will do whatever he wishes to do. Screw the fan base no?

Reactions: Scarlet83
Not sure that this is the reason but the first two games that is not the pep squad that is the alum band filling in for the band while they are in the Midwest at a competition and at the IU game yesterday.

And..... does everything have to be a conspiracy? Some of you guys are tiresome.

Reactions: 17Q66
Not sure that this is the reason but the first two games that is not the pep squad that is the alum band filling in for the band while they are in the Midwest at a competition and at the IU game yesterday.
Noticed also, maybe that’s the reason BUT the alum band should know the tradition

And..... does everything have to be a conspiracy? Some of you guys are tiresome.
I ‘m not sure but plenty off debunked conspiracy theories all around the news. Can’t Rutgers have at least one ?

Schiano loves this kid for many reasons . One is …he’s a nice kid.who lays it on the line everyday.

For some reason they have only been playing it during the 30 second timeouts - not enough time. During the full timeouts the cheer and dance teams keep going out to do other stuff.

Reactions: 17Q66
Everyone in my row has noticed this. And no one likes it! BOTH home hoops games, the band plays the first part of the song, everyone is into it, then just when everyone is ready to yell out the “RU RAH RAH… chant, the band skips the the very end of the song.

WHY?

The song and the cheer is our fight song. It is uniquely Rutgers! When I first heard the chant it was so cool and impressive. This song and cheer really gets everyone amped!!

We are begging the band to play the entire song. Our song. Please play the first two verses of the song, so it includes the cheer. Just like we have always been doing. It’s an awesome song/cheer and it’s a tradition.
A couple years ago I sent the band director a note about something similar, got a quick email back and they seemed to make a change. Go for it.

Glad to see this thread!!! It pisses me off to high heaven that they have ruined the use of our three songs at games. This thread is for Bells Must Ring which is #1 - here are the other two:

2. Pretty much forever, at the 1 minute mark til the end of warmups in the first and second half the band would start playing Colonel Rutgers timed such that the last note is struck to coincide with the buzzer sounding. They do some bastardized version of that now that sucks.

3. Vive Les Rutgers Sons has been eliminated from games for at least three years altogether. And if the reason is that it has "Sons" in the titles (and "fellows" in the lyrics which no one knows anyway) then the Athletic Dept and Music/Band Director need to get a friggin grip. The Dance/Cheer Teams always had good routines to go with this song. Bring it back!!! In case you don't know this one here is a link to a YouTube video that has a Glee Club version of it, you'll recognize the tune (at the 17:48 mark).

Vive Les Rutgers Sons @ 17:48

You've got to leave these traditions alone. And for anyone who doesn't agree - go to Notre Dame or Michigan and try to f*ck with the spirit/fight song/alma mater music and see what happens.

I loved that Colonel Rutgers timed with the buzzer. That was the best.

#FreeColonelRutgers
#FreeViveLesRutgersSons
#YouGotAshed!
In football I miss loyal sons. Which was always before the and better after the game. Never just until it was played

This thread makes me so sad. Yes I wish some of the pep band traditions didn’t die with the changing of the guard. I think it’s a mix of discontinuity and just not being aware of some stuff. The fans know, but the athletic department changes so much that people just don’t realize

As far as playing just the second verse instead of the first verse + the RU rah rah chant, I feel like that’s just someone new running gameday ops and it’s a misunderstanding. There’s a brand new pep band director this year (who is also the head of all RU bands) who was just hired, as the former pep band director (Dr Joe Busuito) took the job to be head of athletic bands and marching band director at ECU this year. That plus a new athletic gameday op guy probably lead to this confusion. Some emails to the right people will probably fix that. It was annoying these first few games for sure.

Now the second point, yea the other traditional songs like “Viva Les Rutgers sons” and “Let’s go Rutgers” (kind of like Michigan’s “Let’s go Blue) along with some other cheers have gone away with the new marching band director since he “didn’t like those ones” … he also never liked Loyal Sons and he kept it I think to appease the leftovers but once they all graduated he canned it this season, and I promise all the band alums are really upset about it.

don’t know why we can’t have Rutgers people fill the jobs in the athletics department, we are an amazing university yet we fill our ADept/marketing/student affairs hires with Seton Hall alums, Penn State alums, Syracuse Alums, or High school people and seemingly all our rivals, people that just don’t get it

Our crew has been wondering why they've cut off the RU-Rah-Rah part of the song too. I could see doing that if time is short, but most of the time it should be the fight song.

Reactions: G- RUnit
Haven’t been to the RAC yet this season, but at football, it just seems fans don’t know what the band is playing. After a touchdown, they play the prelude to the fight song, the bit with lyrics that start “March, men of Rutgers…” (from 0:17-0:40 in the clip below)

Then they stop for the XP.

Then they play the main chorus of “The Bells Must Ring” that includes the “RU RAH RAH” cheer (from 0:40 til 1:47 in the clip below).

they’ve done this for years but I still hear people at FB games start yelling “RU RAH RAH” after the band plays just the prelude.

Everyone in my row has noticed this. And no one likes it! BOTH home hoops games, the band plays the first part of the song, everyone is into it, then just when everyone is ready to yell out the “RU RAH RAH…” chant, the band skips to the very end of the song.

WHY?

I thought the very same thing.

Here's to the ivy that grows on the walls!

Viva le Rutgers sons!

And here's to...

Anyway... very disappointing to hear the TRADITIONS aren't being continued. Let's hope they are returned.

This is one of the reasons I hate living so far away because I’d get in this guy’s office (in a nice way) and talk with him… I’m surprised no band alumni haven’t done so.

Bells is sacred, Thou Shall Not F@$& with Bells!!!

I bet no one has told the 1st Trumpets to play Yankee Doodle in the last refrain of Colonel Rutgers…. There’s no recordings of it but it was TRADITION passed down from upper classmen.

We did a recording in ‘89 of all of our songs and the Band Director at the time told us he’d throw us out of band if we played the Yankee Doodle part… he was a MSU grad

Alumni band member, it is coming from in game production not the director.....
Good information, now we know who to blame. Good grief, why would you do something that takes away from the best home court advantage in the Big Ten IMO! When our team is rolling, the crowd is going nuts, and the other team has to call timeout, going right into Bells with the chant helps keep the energy up for the full time out and it is still rocking when the game resumes. Pipe in some prerecorded junk or make an announcement, and the crowd sits down and shuts up. It's stupid!

Good information, now we know who to blame. Good grief, why would you do something that takes away from the best home court advantage in the Big Ten IMO! When our team is rolling, the crowd is going nuts, and the other team has to call timeout, going right into Bells with the chant helps keep the energy up for the full time out and it is still rocking when the game resumes. Pipe in some prerecorded junk or make an announcement, and the crowd sits down and shuts up. It's stupid!
But the thing is that there is time before the pre-recorded junk to play it. I understand that we have to pay the bills with all the reads, but it's the in-game production dude's job to figure out how the two can co-exist.

New guy in charge of production; he's open and interested in adjusting the atmosphere, trust me.

This needs to be stopped. IMMEDIATELY. The band director should tell the in-game producer to "**** off" and play it the way it's meant to be played. PERIOD. Shit, I'll do something about it right now. Headed to twitter!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT