wrestling news

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Parker Pins !! Lehigh leads 12-0 !

141- Luke Karam Lehigh, knocks off Cortez 2-0, Lehigh up 15-0

149- Retherford with the pin. Lehigh up 15-6

157- Nolf w the Tech Fall, Lehigh up 15-11

Last edited:
I don't see how Penn State can win this match with two starters out of the lineup. Also the kid wrestling 165 is a back up 149 pounder. (written in the sarcasm font).

But being serious, I am really looking forward to 174 and 184 matches.

197-PSU Anthony Cassar wins 8-3
PSU leads 20-19

Comes down to 2 ranked Heavies

Right behind Alex Dieringer, another OkSt product, who was probably the most unheralded 3x national champion.

I call the new scrambling rules the "Dean Heil Rule". He was on his back a few times last year from neutral. Dive to an ankle and get a stalemate is great strategy and he won with it, but that's the reason DH is unheralded. Ringer was beast. Last year DH vs Gulibon.... DH should have given up lots of back points from neutral.

The only thing that gave me some solace for that cheap lunger timeout was that Zeke used it against Tom Ryan, who has been known to use them for his own guys. And, Ryan had the gall to stand there and whine about it.
What? You're really trying to trash Tom Ryan?

Yes. Why?

Because he is an awesome coach whose results are unimpeachable. His program produces world medalists (Logan Steiber and Kyle Snyder), competes for national titles/conference titles, and supplanted Iowa and Ok. State as the alternatives to PSU. Tom Ryan is a heck of a coach.

Because he is an awesome coach whose results are unimpeachable. His program produces world medalists (Logan Steiber and Kyle Snyder), competes for national titles/conference titles, and supplanted Iowa and Ok. State as the alternatives to PSU. Tom Ryan is a heck of a coach.
Just because he's a heck of a coach doesn't mean he's a saint. He does the same crap Zeke did for Zahid, getting his kids "challenge timeouts" when they need a lunger. (Not a challenge, but see Jason Nolf v. Jake Ryan at Rec Hall last year.) Plus, he has been known to sit some of his top kids to protect their seeds for nationals, then complain that duals don't matter. (Last year at OSU, he sat Bo Jordan from wrestling Mark Hall, "due to injury". Yet, less than a week and less than a week after that, BoJo wrestled, with no apparent issues. Even the OSU fans were mad about the decision to send Kresevic.)

Just because he's a heck of a coach doesn't mean he's a saint. He does the same crap Zeke did for Zahid, getting his kids "challenge timeouts" when they need a lunger. (Not a challenge, but see Jason Nolf v. Jake Ryan at Rec Hall last year.) Plus, he has been known to sit some of his top kids to protect their seeds for nationals, then complain that duals don't matter. (Last year at OSU, he sat Bo Jordan from wrestling Mark Hall, "due to injury". Yet, less than a week and less than a week after that, BoJo wrestled, with no apparent issues. Even the OSU fans were mad about the decision to send Kresevic.)
Guy is not only a great coach but a class act. If I was starting a D1 wrestling program and could pick any coach I wanted he would be on a very short list (probably #2). A little too much with the religious (but that’s just me) but with what he has been through with losing a young child who am I to judge him for embracing his faith.

Reactions: Leonard23
I never knew about him losing a child, that’s tough. As a man I won’t question Tom Ryan as he seems to be a God fearing man, great father etc.

As a coach. I have to agree with Pawretler. This guy consistently sits guys for seeding purposes over the years. It’s been stated by some high level recruits that he is a notorious negative recruiter. He sucks guys down to weights with no respect to the wrestler. See NATO this year, Jose Rodriguez last year and M Jordan the year before. Unhealthy cuts. He has made a mockery of duals while lying that he wants them to matter. Last year he promoted the biggest event ever at tOSU and as Pa said sat B Jordan for seeding. Imagine getting 16k to come to match and you duck the most intriguing match up? For all these reason, I wouldn’t want him coaching my team.

I don’t think NCAA wrestling will grow more than where it is now, unless they put a much bigger emphasis on duals , with a tournament in late Feb that crowns a dual team champ.

I don’t think NCAA wrestling will grow more than where it is now, unless they put a much bigger emphasis on duals , with a tournament in late Feb that crowns a dual team champ.
Interesting coming from an RU fan, considering that your attendance and season ticket sales have been growing steadily. I don't know your full history. Are those record numbers, or did you get more way back in the day?

Lehigh just put 10,000 in the PPL center, a Lehigh record by 4,000 people.

Attendance for 2017 nationals was the highest in 15 years. (3rd in history for total attendance, 2nd for finals attendance)

Dual attendance for 2016-17 was the highest it's been in 15 years.

There's been more ESPN coverage of nationals than ever, which leads me to believe there's a demand for it.

While some type of dual championship may make sense, they'd better be careful not to screw up the good thing they have going right now.

Interesting coming from an RU fan, considering that your attendance and season ticket sales have been growing steadily. I don't know your full history. Are those record numbers, or did you get more way back in the day?

Attendance for 2017 nationals was the highest in 15 years. (3rd in history for total attendance, 2nd for finals attendance)

There's been more ESPN coverage of nationals than ever, which leads me to believe there's a demand for it.

While some type of dual championship may make sense, they'd better be careful not to screw up the good thing they have going right now.

You make good points. RU has it's highest season ticket sales ever... .in part due to it's awesome home schedule this year, plus the arrival of Nick Suriano. I'm hoping next year will have the same (2,000) season tickets, but I'm doubtful since the schedule may not be as good, and Ashnault and Lewis may both be gone.

However , until NCAA wrestling is more than a niche sport that you have to pay a subsciption to watch , mostly on a laptop, I don't see it growing dramatically. While some programs show a spike in certain years, others drop. The NCAA Nationals shown on ESPN in March is awesome, wish they did more all year long, but I think since the dual season means so very little, there is not enough viewership for ESPN to put it on ESPN2 or ESPN3, like they do women's basketball or the lower conference M BB.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
RU 2018 commit, Malcolm Robinson, Blair Academy, is the #2 seed at 138 pounds, in this weekend Walsh Jesuit Tournament.
Will be streamed on Flowrestling. One of the top HS tournaments in the country.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
You make good points. RU has it's highest season ticket sales ever... .in part due to it's awesome home schedule this year, plus the arrival of Nick Suriano. I'm hoping next year will have the same (2,000) season tickets, but I'm doubtful since the schedule may not be as good, and Ashnault and Lewis may both be gone.

However , until NCAA wrestling is more than a niche sport that you have to pay a subsciption to watch , mostly on a laptop, I don't see it growing dramatically. While some programs show a spike in certain years, others drop. The NCAA Nationals shown on ESPN in March is awesome, wish they did more all year long, but I think since the dual season means so very little, there is not enough viewership for ESPN to put it on ESPN2 or ESPN3, like they do women's basketball or the lower conference M BB.
I think it's really, really important for you guys to put on a show at your home duals the next two years. Both on the mat and off the mat. Year after next, you're going to have a good group of RS freshmen and one more year of Suriano, plus should be a pretty decent home schedule. With all that, you should see some additional momentum.

I think you're wrong. Wrestling is very regional, with finite # of elite athletes. That's why Gable and Sanderson were able to build dynasties. It's also why "smaller" programs can produce national champs and lofty team finishes. Rutgers is in a hotbed for recruiting, but it is in a tough spot. Modest individual performances. Not enough on team side to compete. Highly unlikely it will ever compete for a BIG title, let alone a national title. Too many blue bloods and too few elite wrestlers. Bump in attendance is b/c amazing BIG schedule in a state that has a serious wrestling fanbase. Lehigh set attendance record b/c they wrestled Penn St.

I think you're wrong. Wrestling is very regional, with finite # of elite athletes. That's why Gable and Sanderson were able to build dynasties. It's also why "smaller" programs can produce national champs and lofty team finishes. Rutgers is in a hotbed for recruiting, but it is in a tough spot. Modest individual performances. Not enough on team side to compete. Highly unlikely it will ever compete for a BIG title, let alone a national title. Too many blue bloods and too few elite wrestlers. Bump in attendance is b/c amazing BIG schedule in a state that has a serious wrestling fanbase. Lehigh set attendance record b/c they wrestled Penn St.
You think I'm wrong about what? Everything I said in that message is documented.

So you are saying the ancient history of when Cael Sanderson built a dynasty at PSU cannot be duplicated? Come on. Wrestling is a 9.9 scholarship sport. This isn't the old days. With the right coaching and the right funding, Rutgers could absolutely compete for Big Ten and National titles. Hell, we have only been at the big boy table for a couple years and we went from a handful of AAs all time, to producing a few a year. The future is bright. There is nothing stopping us.

Two AA's is very nice for the last few years and Ashnault is a very good wrestler. But many programs have multiple AA's and national champions. My point is that wrestling is popular in certain areas. The national tournament has always been very well attended. Lehigh had 10,000 fans b/c they were wrestling Penn State, who has a ton of fans in that area and has a loaded line up. I don't see explosive growth in wrestling, like there has been in hockey or lacrosse. Can a dynasty be built at another school? Of course, but Cael is only 38 and Penn State Wrestling enjoys tremendous support. I don't think his run is anywhere near its end. Rutgers has improved and will continue to improve, but it hasn't been very close to the top BIG teams and hasn't scored well at the NCAAs. NJ is a great wrestling area and it's good to see the fan support. The BIG provides some great home schedules. It will be very difficult to break into the upper echelon of the BIG, then add in Ok St, smaller schools like Edinboro, Lehigh, Cornell and consistent programs like some ACC schools and ASU and the competition is tough for Rutgers.

Reactions: nikoru09
What? You're really trying to trash Tom Ryan?
Ryan should be trashed! he is a poor sportsman! after PSU whooped TOSU last year in Columbus. Tom used his NCAA connection and the entire PSU team was drug tested when they returned to State College. He was looking for any excuse to explain the ass whopping that his team took. BTW no positive findings at PSU

Ryan should be trashed! he is a poor sportsman! after PSU whooped TOSU last year in Columbus. Tom used his NCAA connection and the entire PSU team was drug tested when they returned to State College. He was looking for any excuse to explain the ass whopping that his team took. BTW no positive findings at PSU
Just stop

Reactions: josh1728
Two AA's is very nice for the last few years and Ashnault is a very good wrestler. But many programs have multiple AA's and national champions. My point is that wrestling is popular in certain areas. The national tournament has always been very well attended. Lehigh had 10,000 fans b/c they were wrestling Penn State, who has a ton of fans in that area and has a loaded line up. I don't see explosive growth in wrestling, like there has been in hockey or lacrosse. Can a dynasty be built at another school? Of course, but Cael is only 38 and Penn State Wrestling enjoys tremendous support. I don't think his run is anywhere near its end. Rutgers has improved and will continue to improve, but it hasn't been very close to the top BIG teams and hasn't scored well at the NCAAs. NJ is a great wrestling area and it's good to see the fan support. The BIG provides some great home schedules. It will be very difficult to break into the upper echelon of the BIG, then add in Ok St, smaller schools like Edinboro, Lehigh, Cornell and consistent programs like some ACC schools and ASU and the competition is tough for Rutgers.

Pretty well-reasoned post. Breaking into the top 10 and remaining there are both very difficult.

I will add this. In 1981, the NCAAs were held at Princeton's Jadwin Gym. I drove from Manhattan to Princeton on Friday and Saturday nights and bought tickets at the box office window. In 1984, when they were held at the Meadowlands, it was pretty easy to get tickets.

I'm not sure exactly when it became an ultra-popular event, but by 1994 it was no longer easy to get tickets.

Until NCAA Wrestling is not a Pay Per View sport (Flo, BTN, Track) it won't grow a heck of a lot. Only the Finals of the NCAAs is on ESPN. Heck even the semi's and quarters you have to go to ESPN3 (the online app) to watch it .

You can watch women's softball , volleyball, college baseball, some track all on ESPN TV, but wrestling? not so much. Need to make the regular Dual season more relevant, not just a tune up for the NCAA and conference tournaments in March.

Last edited:
Until NCAA is not a Pay Per View sport (Flo, BTN, Track) it won't grow a heck of a lot. Only the Finals of the NCAAs is on ESPN. Heck even the semi's and quarters you have to go to ESPN3 (the online app) to watch it .

I mostly agree with you. Lacrosse gets more coverage than does wrestling. But I believe the semis and quarters are now on ESPN (or at least ESPN2). The advantage of ESPN3 is that you can pick mats and even (if you have two monitors, as my son has) have all eight mats up at the same time. So I think that coverage is superior to TV coverage anyway.

espn is definitely behind a paywall. even stuff that gets broadcast over pubic airwaves (ABC, FOX etc) ends up archived behind a paywall.

soon espn will launch their own subscription service. no idea what the price point will be but that's one of the reasons Disney is trying to buy up Fox's regional sports networks (among other things).

but then once everything is broken out to all the different subscriptions someone will start bundling them up again, because bundling saves money, but you'll still have the option of paying more for just the individual streams. thats like 5-10 years away tho, in my estimation.

with regards to if the sport will grow it's audience: I'm certainly betting on it.

The NCAA Nationals shown on ESPN in March is awesome, wish they did more all year long, but I think since the dual season means so very little, there is not enough viewership for ESPN to put it on ESPN2 or ESPN3, like they do women's basketball or the lower conference M BB.

ESPN3 does cover dual meets. Mostly ACC and MAC, but some others.

Until NCAA Wrestling is not a Pay Per View sport (Flo, BTN, Track) it won't grow a heck of a lot. Only the Finals of the NCAAs is on ESPN. Heck even the semi's and quarters you have to go to ESPN3 (the online app) to watch it .

The semis have been on ESPN/ESPN2 for years now.

But I believe the semis and quarters are now on ESPN (or at least ESPN2).

Quarters (among other rounds) typically on ESPNU.

Semis typically on ESPN2.

Today's quarterfinals at the Ironman Tourny:

138: #19-JD Stickley, Graham vs. #5-Malcolm Robinson, Blair

Robinson falls 5-2. Didn't really attack or commit fully to his attacks. Stickley had solid defense.

RU commit Malcolm Robinson is upset in the quarters by 19th ranked Stickly 5-2. Robinson looked very passive , letting the taller Stickley shoot at will, getting to his legs with ease. Robsinsons ranking will be dropping after this. Not a good look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT