ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone have a good list of New Brunswick bars and restaurants..

RutgersSam

All American
Nov 6, 2004
For pregame festivities this weekend. I have some friends coming in from Nebraska.. First time in NJ and they need a bar/restaurant guide to eat/drink before the game. Want to show them some nicer spots, not dive bars or places like Stuff your place or the grease trucks. Thanks in advance.

For pregame festivities this weekend. I have some friends coming in from Nebraska.. First time in NJ and they need a bar/restaurant guide to eat/drink before the game. Want to show them some nicer spots, not dive bars or places like Stuff your place or the grease trucks. Thanks in advance.
George street ale house is on one the most underrated places in NB. The food is great and the draft beer and bottle list is top notch.

Reactions: RutgersSam
OLD MAN RAFFERTY'S.... lot's of room, good menu selection, traditional RU spot for after the game... overall great place. not as elegant as other places listed.. but nice casual place.

I agree. Would also add Due Mari.

Stage Left
Catherine Lombardi
Frog & Peach

I have been to all four on this post, all very good, along with Clydz......that one allows you to try some things you might not have before, like Rattlesnake, elk etc.... ....the meatballs made out of
a couple of strange meats were wonderful....Cyldz is mostly known for cocktails.

I had dinner with friends at Esquina Latina on Saturday. The food, service and environment were all very good and I would definitely recommend it.

Just as an FYI, around 11 or so it went from restaurant and bar to a straight bar/club scene. We didn't hang around too long after it changed, but it definitely looked like it would be a fun spot to have a drink at if you decide to eat elsewhere. Definitely check it our if you are looking for more of a party scene, as opposed to a place like Clydz which is another great bar with excellent drinks and interesting food, but a little more low key.

Stage Left
Catherine Lombardi
Frog & Peach

I have been to all four on this post, all very good, along with Clydz......that one allows you to try some things you might not have before, like Rattlesnake, elk etc.... ....the meatballs made out of
a couple of strange meats were wonderful....Cyldz is mostly known for cocktails.

I agree that Stage Left, Catherine Lombardi, Frog & Peach and Due Mari are the top 4 in town and all very good. I also agree that Clydz has it's appeal as a novelty place for cocktails and apps.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Agree with all of the higher end type places:
Catherine Lombardi
Clydz
Stage Left
Frog and the Peach
Steakhouse 85
Due Mare

Others more on the casual side:
Evelyn's (Lebanese/Middle Eastern- there's a new place next to it that I haven't tried yet- City something?)
Destination Dogs
George Street Ale House
Harvest Moon (brewpub)
World of Beer (not a huge menu, but good beers on tap)
Old Bay (food was better during a recent visit, solid tap list)
Stuff Yer Face (I have to list it, home of the Boli!)
Dillinger's Tap Room ? (opened where Hotoke used to be, haven't tried it yet)
Glasswood's Tavern at the Hyatt
Christopher's at the Heldrich
Old Man Rafferty's
Tumulty's

A little outside of town on Hamilton in Somerset:
Sophie's Bistro

Of the places I have been to:
Frog and Peach is the best of the more pricey places (Du Mari, Lombardi's, Stage Left)
Old Man Rafferty's is the best of the next level down in price
Tumulty's is great for beer and burgers (FYI - I think the food at Harvest Moon is awful)
But for something great and different I highly recommend Destination Dog's. Great beer and great food.

And of course.....................nothing beats Suff Your Face!!!

Tumulty's is historic and is a true Rutgers place - Manley's Mess is the call.

Stuff Yer Face is not special but it is a landmark and is Man v Food fame.

Stage Left and Due Mare are both excellent.

Tumulty's is great for beer and burgers (FYI - I think the food at Harvest Moon is awful)

Agree with Harvest Moon, but they have a pretty good beer selection and last time I was at Tumulty's they had a limited beer selection. I'm not sure if that has changed or not, but others in the area like GS Ale House are better for beer drinkers. If they like higher end drinks then Clydz is a must.

If you want to drink all three places I listed have very nice bars. I particularly am found of bending an elbow at Catherine Lombardi's bar. It's a top shelf place in every way. He asked for "nice" so I presumed upscale. If not they can always go to Corner Tavern. And that is not a knock on CT, I have brought people there for drinks, it serves a purpose. It just isn't a place I'd send anybody I was looking to impress.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Agree with all of the higher end type places:
Catherine Lombardi
Clydz
Stage Left
Frog and the Peach
Steakhouse 85
Due Mare

Others more on the casual side:
Evelyn's (Lebanese/Middle Eastern- there's a new place next to it that I haven't tried yet- City something?)
Destination Dogs
George Street Ale House
Harvest Moon (brewpub)
World of Beer (not a huge menu, but good beers on tap)
Old Bay (food was better during a recent visit, solid tap list)
Stuff Yer Face (I have to list it, home of the Boli!)
Dillinger's Tap Room ? (opened where Hotoke used to be, haven't tried it yet)
Glasswood's Tavern at the Hyatt
Christopher's at the Heldrich
Old Man Rafferty's
Tumulty's

A little outside of town on Hamilton in Somerset:
Sophie's Bistro

Dillinger room replaced Makoeda not Hotoke, Hotoke is still alive and well

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT