ADVERTISEMENT

Off-season hypothetical conversation (Football Only Conferences)

jeRseyguy1010

Freshman
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2023
Will all the conference realignment going on lately, the topic of 'Football only conferences' has continued to pop up. The thought would be to let football do its own thing, while all other sports join conferences that make geographical sense.

If this scenario ever occurred, what other local programs would you want to see Rutgers Basketball join a conference with?

Here would be my 14 team conference:

- Rutgers
- Seton Hall
- Temple
- Maryland
- Uconn
- Georgetown
- Providence
- Syracuse
- Pitt
- St. Johns
- Villanova
- Boston College
- Penn State
- Delaware

Any obvious programs I'm missing?

I have to admit, this would be one fun conference to play in for basketball.

Again, this hypothetical. I know it's not happening...at least anytime soon.

Last edited:
Will all the conference realignment going on lately, the topic of 'Football only conferences' has continued to pop up. The thought would be to let football do its own thing, while all other sports join conferences that make geographical sense.

If this scenario ever occurred, what other local programs would you want to see Rutgers Basketball join a conference with?

- Rutgers
- Seton Hall
- Temple
- Maryland
- Uconn
- Georgetown
- Providence
- Syracuse
- Pitt
- St. Johns
- Villanova
- Boston College
- Penn State
- Delaware

Uhhhh no thanks … why would it be a “ football” only ? The other sports in no way prevent football from being successful and vice versa. You won’t see Penn State nor Maryland or Rutgers doing that. That looks like a mush mash of conferences to me. Delaware is a school who doesn’t fit at all in that thinking.

Uhhhh no thanks … why would it be a “ football” only ? The other sports in no way prevent football from being successful and vice versa. You won’t see Penn State nor Maryland or Rutgers doing that. That looks like a mush mash of conferences to me. Delaware is a school who doesn’t fit at all in that thinking.
Because there is no reason for Rutgers softball to travel to Oregon to play a conference game.

I didn't come up with this idea out of thin air. This idea has been thrown around for a while now.

The B1G football programs would continue to be in the Big Ten, while all other sports do their own thing.

- Rutgers
- Seton Hall
- Temple
- Maryland
- Uconn
- Georgetown
- Providence
- Syracuse
- Pitt
- St. Johns
- Villanova
- Boston College
- Penn State
- Delaware

So basically you want the Big East back with the inclusion of Maryland and Penn State?

btw, the inclusion of Delaware seems odd. why would they belong in such a conference?

- Rutgers
- Seton Hall
- Temple
- Maryland
- Uconn
- Georgetown
- Providence
- Syracuse
- Pitt
- St. Johns
- Villanova
- Boston College
- Penn State
- Delaware

This is being pushed by Rick Pitino - I wonder why he would push this?

Reactions: MikeR0102
Obviously as a newbie here you have little to no understanding of major college sports in these 2000 ‘s . You single out Oregon softball and say there is no reason for Rutgers to travel there. Why did you single out the women’s softball programs . Ex: Rutgers makes a trip out there during spring break recess. Play Washington , Oregon out there and then UCLA and USC comes here for a series . We return the favor the following season.That schedule you posted is like you picked teams out of a hat. No rhyme nor reason.

- Rutgers
- Seton Hall
- Temple
- Maryland
- Uconn
- Georgetown
- Providence
- Syracuse
- Pitt
- St. Johns
- Villanova
- Boston College
- Penn State
- Delaware

Do you actually believe the B1G would look upon this as a good idea? Why should the B1G share with those others from a very lucrative TV deal now and in the near future.

Reactions: MikeR0102
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT