ADVERTISEMENT

rivals main board on a possible kareem walker decommit

I'm not saying that he's talking out of both sides of his mouth. Go back and watch the interview with Farrel you have referenced in the past. It's as if Farrel isn't even listening to him, he's simply trying to get him to go down a particular path with his questioning. It's more cross examination than interview. To me, there is a big difference between answering questions when an IPhone and camera are in your face vs a one on one with someone you know. HS coaches should do what's in the best interest of their players.....I'd hope His coaches feel that way.

I have not seen the interview you are talking about and I have never referenced a Farrel interview. I have brought other interviews here from another site to include in discussion. I believe the last interview I brought here was done by Ryan Bartow who interviewed Walker at his HS. The interview was conducted in a one on one setting and Walker mentioned he never felt that he was lied to. I agree that HS coaches should do what's in their players best interest and I feel that they have done so. If they didn't feel OSU was a good fit for Walker then they would have helped Walker decommit long ago or not have allowed Walker to commit there in the first place.

So what was this great lie Urban allegedly told Walker?

They will not, this I can almost guarantee.
----------------------------

well, I thought I read on the link I started this that Gary, Walker and a few more NJ players were visiting Tennessee in early June....when I looked again I cannot find the reference to that visit...

.if this visit does occur I would not be shocked if the Tenn coach make serious inroads for all three or four of the remaining NJ targets, including Walker, if not commits on the spot......he appears to be that good at it....

----------------------------

well, I thought I read on the link I started this that Gary, Walker and a few more NJ players were visiting Tennessee in early June....when I looked again I cannot find the reference to that visit...

.if this visit does occur I would not be shocked if the Tenn coach make serious inroads for all three or four of the remaining NJ targets, including Walker, if not commits on the spot......he appears to be that good at it....

I posted that info on the "Kareem Walker tweet" thread.

Recruiting fundamentally depends upon the initial foundation - so, it mostly starts from the bottom up.
If your basic coaching staff is only so-so at the job of recruiting, it almost does not matter who the head coach may be -
... but ... If your basic coaching staff is only so-so at the job of recruiting - the Head Coach is accountable!

Flood's coaching staff for 2012 and 2013 and then into 2014 was, to put it politely, a 'patchwork quilt' equally handicapped by:
(#1 ) very limited budget,
(#2 ) long term uncertainty, .....and frankly,
(#3 ) in which freaking conference is this job? Big East ? All-American (ugh!) ? Big Ten ...(OK ...as a punching bag? to have every flaw exposed?)
(#1-a ) the lack of a hugely compelling reason to 'go work for Kyle Flood' (who ? really? .... who? )
... so, it should be no mystery that the recruiting also ended up being ... 'sub-optimal' ... flashes of potential ...but many opportunities missed ... not unlike what transpired on the field.
- - But fair or not, this is Flood's watch ... and for this he will be judged.

Now it appears that the coaching staff is making some form of real (albeit slow) progress on the recruiting front - they are getting more premium prospects to make the trip to Rutgers, - to see Rutgers as viable enough to engage in a discussion about how they might fit ... now the critical step is gaining the commitments ... which will depend upon the quality of the foundation work done by the staff (inspired by & directed by Flood) and the overall 'close' performed by Flood (& accompanists of his choosing) - it is all Flood's - he owns the end result - and if this 'hump' cannot be surmounted, it will ultimately become the challenge of the next Head Coach to put forward a truly effective compelling and convincing case for commitment to Rutgers.

Reactions: ScarletKnightRider
Weren't 19 of 22 startersGreg's guys
Doubtful. One, because I don't care if you don't want to give Hamilton's class to Flood but you sure as hell can't give it to Schiano. Also, Patton might not have started the bowl game but who was out most productive receiver? Hicks played the best against UNC but he wasn't the starter. Don't think Grant started against Maryland but it was his big plays that got us going. In today's game, too many people are interchangeable to care who "started". Outside of O line and QB pretty much ever position has multiple guys sharing reps.

I'm not saying that he's talking out of both sides of his mouth. Go back and watch the interview with Farrel you have referenced in the past. It's as if Farrel isn't even listening to him, he's simply trying to get him to go down a particular path with his questioning. It's more cross examination than interview. To me, there is a big difference between answering questions when an IPhone and camera are in your face vs a one on one with someone you know. HS coaches should do what's in the best interest of their players.....I'd hope His coaches feel that way.

This is an aside, but that's what Farrell and Friedman do. It's their MO.

Sorry I'm done with that. I have been saying since the 70s if only nj kids stayed home what might be ? Not falling for that again. Now I say go out and get players from ang state.
RU was playing Lehigh, Colgate, etc. in the '70s so you were wasting your breath back then about a couple of 5* NJ recruits spurning the big boys to stay home. We're B1G now...

Doubtful. One, because I don't care if you don't want to give Hamilton's class to Flood but you sure as hell can't give it to Schiano. Also, Patton might not have started the bowl game but who was out most productive receiver? Hicks played the best against UNC but he wasn't the starter. Don't think Grant started against Maryland but it was his big plays that got us going. In today's game, too many people are interchangeable to care who "started". Outside of O line and QB pretty much ever position has multiple guys sharing reps.

Clearly you have an agenda and includes deciding your own facts

Clearly you have an agenda and includes deciding your own facts
How? Which fact do you not agree with? That Schiano shouldn't get credit for kids he left stranded in a library or that the term starter doesn't meant what it did 10 years ago?

We have to improve the brand. That comes from a variety of efforts - facilities, competitiveness, that intangible "allure" that's part of the recruiting process.

I have NEVER agreed with the people who say that our mere presence in the B1G should suddenly bring untold riches of New Jersey 4 and 5 star players. That's bunk. OSU, MSU, UM, Wisconsin, Nebraska... They get those kids because they are who they are. Our B1G membership, alone, doesn't ensure us top recruits any more than it does for Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, etc.

I agree with this. I remember when we landed in the Big East for hoops. I was telling a colleague who went to Seton Hall that it was only a matter of time before we put them in the rear view mirror. For years, top recruits shunned us because they wanted the exposure of the Big East. Seton Hall had some great teams under PJ. Then we move to the Big East with coaches who didn't know how to recruit and the answer from recruits was "we don't want to get killed in the Big East". We can't let this happen in football (easier said than done). We are in a brutal division where weakness will be exploited. We need top recruits to hold our own.

I agree with this. I remember when we landed in the Big East for hoops. I was telling a colleague who went to Seton Hall that it was only a matter of time before we put them in the rear view mirror. For years, top recruits shunned us because they wanted the exposure of the Big East. Seton Hall had some great teams under PJ. Then we move to the Big East with coaches who didn't know how to recruit and the answer from recruits was "we don't want to get killed in the Big East". We can't let this happen in football (easier said than done). We are in a brutal division where weakness will be exploited. We need top recruits to hold our own.
" Then we move to the Big East with coaches who didn't know how to recruit..." nailed it! Throw in the pathetic lack of facilities investment and that's the long and short of it.

They were Gregs...where were they going in a matter of days..give credit to TP

Seriously?? Your myopia is damn near clinical. They all had many offers, they could have easily found a home. What you're suggesting is that 3 days before NSD Darius Hamilton had NO OPTIONS other than Rutgers - and that's maybe the most absurd thing anyone's ever said, here.

Your logic also completely precludes the possibility of a "signing day flip" by anyone - and we know that happens all the time.

Saying Greg's recruits were starting is another way of saying guys who have been in the program and are upper classmen are starting- the way it should be.

If Flood, in his second year, had a bunch of true freshmen and redshirt freshmen starting, the program would have big problems.

The fact that there are upperclassmen with a few underclass sprinkled in means a healthy program

They were GS's recruits period. That said why does it matter anyway.

You know...we are in the big 10 now..
We need big time coaches and
Recruiters.

Put yourself in the position of the kids as it relates to coaches and situations.

Rutgers is a desirable place. Needs juice
Problem is I don't think it matters who the coach is players will fund an excuse to leave the state.

When we weren't bowling it was because we weren't bowling. When we were, it was because we didn't put players in the NFL. When we started putting players in the NFL it was because of league affiliation. Now that we are B1G it's because of...

It doesn't matter I am convinced we will never get a majority of talent in NJ and I say who cares fill slots with out of state kids as long as they are talented.

Could that be because like the RU fans he lives in NJ? Could it be that people actually know him, his family, friends, and coaches?

OSU2015, you obviously haven't gotten yourself acquainted with RU uber-fan/booster, vk. Please do if you are going to post here. To get you up to speed:

*He is a "heavy hitter" with the donations which make RU football go. This grants him special access to information and, above all else, validates his opinion. Not sure how "heavy," but suffice to say we can all see that he is really making an impact.

*He is also buddies with all these NJ Dream Team recruits as evidenced by his "twitter" banter and the hazy references to family members and such. He gets it from as close to the horses mouth as you can, as evidenced by his insight to the RU recruiting scene. First on the scene to report the promising early returns of 2016...in real good with Walker - oops, I mean Guarantano - oops, never mind we have a better guy coming anyway in Haskins - oops, how would you feel with Walker and either Gary or Haskins - oops, don't mind anyway it's early and the next month you will all be eating crow - oops, it's not over till signing day...

*He is definitely not anti-Greg Schiano, and takes great pains to be very accurate when other people try to distort the facts to their own agenda when discussing recruiting. I mean we all know that the guy who sold a recruit the vision of a football program and a university for 18 months does not come close to the impact that the guy who was actually in place as the HC of the program for 10 days when they actually signed the LOI - closing counts! And you really need to compare coaches recruiting by their tenure in the position - that is really the only fair way. These guys that point out trivial facts like the state of the program when the HC took over, facilities, conference affiliations - they are just trying to muddy the waters.

*He is on pace to be the most accurate - and revered - prognosticator of all things RU in this board's history. Taking the mantle from all-time great, Mr. TV, with whom he shares no relation.

Don't F with him....

Reactions: OriginalKnight
Viv Stringer does well recruiting at RU, shows who the coach is Does matter. That said, I think a Floods recruiting will improve.
Problem is I don't think it matters who the coach is players willfund an excuse to leave the state.

When we weren't bowling it was because we weren't bowling. When we were, it was because we didn't put players in the NFL. When we started putting players in the NFL it was because of league affiliation. Now that we are B1G it's because of...

It doesn't matter I am convinced we will never get a majority of talent in NJ and I say who cares fill slots with out of state kids as long as they are talented.

Seriously?? Your myopia is damn near clinical. They all had many offers, they could have easily found a home. What you're suggesting is that 3 days before NSD Darius Hamilton had NO OPTIONS other than Rutgers - and that's maybe the most absurd thing anyone's ever said, here.

Your logic also completely precludes the possibility of a "signing day flip" by anyone - and we know that happens all the time.

Try this for myopic:

Schiano obviously knew how to sell the university - APR, graduation, degree, etc. - and where the program was going - on the field and off the field (facilities). He did a great job with what he had available to him and he did it with the kids you are referring to. They were signing with Rutgers University to play football - and that is how it is supposed to be.

The fact that they signed on after Flood was chosen is even more of a testament to Schiano's recruiting ability - Flood was part of the "RU" that Schiano sold them on. Hamilton didn't flip to another program precisely because Schiano had sold him on what he was going to get at RU - if he hadn't, he probably would have flipped.

The new coach has not shown the ability to sell this to recruits with a lot of other great options. No way, no how.

Reactions: Local Shill
OSU2015, you obviously haven't gotten yourself acquainted with RU uber-fan/booster, vk. Please do if you are going to post here. To get you up to speed:

*He is a "heavy hitter" with the donations which make RU football go. This grants him special access to information and, above all else, validates his opinion. Not sure how "heavy," but suffice to say we can all see that he is really making an impact.

*He is also buddies with all these NJ Dream Team recruits as evidenced by his "twitter" banter and the hazy references to family members and such. He gets it from as close to the horses mouth as you can, as evidenced by his insight to the RU recruiting scene. First on the scene to report the promising early returns of 2016...in real good with Walker - oops, I mean Guarantano - oops, never mind we have a better guy coming anyway in Haskins - oops, how would you feel with Walker and either Gary or Haskins - oops, don't mind anyway it's early and the next month you will all be eating crow - oops, it's not over till signing day...

*He is definitely not anti-Greg Schiano, and takes great pains to be very accurate when other people try to distort the facts to their own agenda when discussing recruiting. I mean we all know that the guy who sold a recruit the vision of a football program and a university for 18 months does not come close to the impact that the guy who was actually in place as the HC of the program for 10 days when they actually signed the LOI - closing counts! And you really need to compare coaches recruiting by their tenure in the position - that is really the only fair way. These guys that point out trivial facts like the state of the program when the HC took over, facilities, conference affiliations - they are just trying to muddy the waters.

*He is on pace to be the most accurate - and revered - prognosticator of all things RU in this board's history. Taking the mantle from all-time great, Mr. TV, with whom he shares no relation.

Don't F with him....
Nice summary of course it's all BS and you are a douche. First, I never claimed to be some heavy hitter...simply said I was one of the people approached when replacing Flood was a thought. I also never once said anything about the dream team....never. As far as who or how I know some kids really doesn't matter. Believe what you want....and I don't have twitter banter with recruits. I don't even have a personal twitter account. Plenty of people on these boards know who I am and how I know what I know. What you think or believe means crap to me. Finally, I never once said any one kid was committing at any point. Even when I know a commit is about to occur or did happen I don't comment bc it's not my style. But keep stalking and posting nonsense.....I've always wanted a stalker but fat middle aged guys aren't usually stalker worthy.

Try for the best in any state that the Big Ten seems to do well in. You never know when the lure of New York City or the Atlantic Ocean AND a Big Ten school will tip the scales. We never had all that to offer before. so now's the time to go beyond this region.

Nice summary of course it's all BS and you are a douche. First, I never claimed to be some heavy hitter...simply said I was one of the people approached when replacing Flood was a thought. I also never once said anything about the dream team....never. As far as who or how I know some kids really doesn't matter. Believe what you want....and I don't have twitter banter with recruits. I don't even have a personal twitter account. Plenty of people on these boards know who I am and how I know what I know. What you think or believe means crap to me. Finally, I never once said any one kid was committing at any point. Even when I know a commit is about to occur or did happen I don't comment bc it's not my style. But keep stalking and posting nonsense.....I've always wanted a stalker but fat middle aged guys aren't usually stalker worthy.

For accuracy's sake, I said "Twitter" banter, which doesn't mean you are tweeting with the recruits, but you discuss tweeting a lot.

You may well be known on this board for how you know what you know - most, like me, could care less where you get it as long as it's accurate. I find it hilarious that you are calling out the OSU poster for his sources, when his INFORMATION seems to be more accurate than yours.

I'll happily stalk you to call you out anytime for the BS that you merrily throw around here.

BTW, the bolded comment above...priceless.

For accuracy's sake, I said "Twitter" banter, which doesn't mean you are tweeting with the recruits, but you discuss tweeting a lot.

You may well be known on this board for how you know what you know - most, like me, could care less where you get it as long as it's accurate. I find it hilarious that you are calling out the OSU poster for his sources, when his INFORMATION seems to be more accurate than yours.

I'll happily stalk you to call you out anytime for the BS that you merrily throw around here.

BTW, the bolded comment above...priceless.
Actually, I don't discuss twitter often. If fact, what I mostly discuss about twitter is how it's stupid to hang on a kids every tweet. Hilarious or not, it's true and since you stalk my posts you know it.

Don't F with him....

Really? You are going to attack a fellow fan for the benefit of a visitor from OHIO STATE?

Exactly how long have you been working for ISIS?

Really? You are going to attack a fellow fan for the benefit of a visitor from OHIO STATE?

Exactly how long have you been working for ISIS?
You make the mistake of thinking that he's a fellow fan..at least in the sense you view what fan means. I bet if you'd read his last 100 posts all but a handful would be negative or trying to put down other posters. In his mind, RU football does when Flood was hired.

Don't F with him....

You might consider shaving with Occam's razor.

I'd like to know who you are VKJ91. Can you give a hint? I know who Zappa is

Well, damn... that's some pretty impressive detective work.

I hope you're paying attention @dicemen99. 4real has nicely demonstrated that sarcasm is much more effective when expressed in a single sentence. Or even a few short sentences. Or really just about anything less than what you did with that multiple wall-of-text paragraphs rant about @vkj91.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT