ADVERTISEMENT

US News Best Grad Schools 2024

Last edited:
The crazy thing is the undergrad is soaring like never before.

It's absolutely wild to me how RU as well as Brooklyn and Hofstra have plummeted. Temple and SHU doing something right. My guess is giving $$ to strong candidates.

Reactions: Leonard23
Rutgers Business School ranked #53 which is down 8 spots from #45 last year. Hope this isn't a trend.

MBA Program Rankings​

Business School Specialty Rankings​

Other RBS rankings: https://www.business.rutgers.edu/about-rbs/rankings

The crazy thing is a NJ resident will pay the same price at Baruch and it's ranked the same.

Seems like a similar game as with the law schools. Not sure about scholarships now. But Temple would be 46k for a NJ student versus 32k for RU...will people just pay the extra 14k for 50 spots in the ranking? Probably....Buffalo doesn't really place downstate but it's ranked 5 spots below RU and is 34k for NJ kids...SMH...

I guess with undergrad the ranking is much higher and the surrounding states charge laughably high OOS tuition.

The undergrad ranking strikes me like a blip. It’s based on a shift in methodology more than anything else. As the schools who care about this shift change their enrollment strategies to accommodate, Rutgers will go down.

Rutgers doesn’t care nor does it really need to anyway. It has a fairly captive audience in a region that’s not in danger of completely losing its population anytime soon.

I’m pretty concerned about the B-School rankings though. Rutgers doesn’t care about the law school nor will it move it - state U has to play politics after all. They do care about the B School and where it is ranked so a downward trend in something they care about should be rectified and amended.

Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School - NB #68 (Research)
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School - Newark #71 (Research)
Temple University Medical School - #71 (Research)

Are there plans to combine the Medical Schools into one entity like the Law Schools.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
The crazy thing is a NJ resident will pay the same price at Baruch and it's ranked the same.

Seems like a similar game as with the law schools. Not sure about scholarships now. But Temple would be 46k for a NJ student versus 32k for RU...will people just pay the extra 14k for 50 spots in the ranking? Probably....Buffalo doesn't really place downstate but it's ranked 5 spots below RU and is 34k for NJ kids...SMH...

I guess with undergrad the ranking is much higher and the surrounding states charge laughably high OOS tuition.
Temple has long undercut Rutgers Law on tuition for NJ students who do well on the LSAT. I will quote a one-time admissions director: "we just can't compete." What is saddest is that there was a time when Temple law students would say to me, "we wish we were at Rutgers-Camden." At that time, Temple's bar admission rate wasn't that good -- at last report, Rutgers' has gone down and is now less than Seton Hall's. Hard as it may seem to believe, there are Rutgers law faculty who don't care about that.

• Sad
Reactions: NotInRHouse
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School - NB #68 (Research)
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School - Newark #71 (Research)
Temple University Medical School - #71 (Research)

Are there plans to combine the Medical Schools into one entity like the Law Schools.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Amazingly, a post where you missed a chance to assert that a certain university in western PA is midsized. 35K is still a large school. Your quest to convince folks otherwise is amusing.

Amazingly, a post where you missed a chance to assert that a certain university in western PA is midsized. 35K is still a large school. Your quest to convince folks otherwise is amusing.
I'm putting the gentleman on "ignore." Ending every post with "hail to Pitt" on another's school's board is out-and-out trolling IMHO.

. Rutgers doesn’t care about the law school nor will it move it - state U has to play politics after all.
There's a chicken-and-egg issue here. Does Rutgers not care about the law school because it is not in New Brunswick, or is it not in New Brunswick because Rutgers doesn't care about it? If it's the former, then it would help to move the law school to New Brunswick although constructing a suitable building would cost over $100 million easily and leave the questions about what to do with buildings in Camden and Newark that were specifically intended to be law school buildings and that weren't built that long ago. If it's the latter, then nothing is going to help but a change in philosophy.

Is the school weak because the campuses are in Camden and Newark? If so, is that because there's something inherently wrong with those places or because Rutgers doesn't give a damn about either place (especially not Camden) ?

Note that Rutgers has never established a law school. It acquired the one in Newark in 1946 when Rutgers took over the University of Newark. It got the one in Camden when it took over the South Jersey law school (which had been running the undergraduate operation there) in 1952.

Last edited:
There's a chicken-and-egg issue here. Does Rutgers not care about the law school because it is not in New Brunswick, or is it not in New Brunswick because Rutgers doesn't care about it? If it's the former, then it would help to move the law school to New Brunswick although constructing a suitable building would cost over $100 million easily and leave the questions about what to do with buildings in Camden and Newark that were specifically intended to be law school buildings and that weren't built that long ago. If it's the latter, then nothing is going to help but a change in philosophy.

Is the school weak because the campuses are in Camden and Newark? If so, is that because there's something inherently wrong with those places or because Rutgers doesn't give a damn about either place (especially not Camden) ?

Note that Rutgers has never established a law school. It acquired the one in Newark in 1946 when Rutgers took over the University of Newark. It got the one in Camden when it took over the South Jersey law school (which had been running the undergraduate operation there) in 1952.

At this point with the plummeting rank I would have to say there's a larger issue than location. I mean, Temple isn't in the best area, and Seton Hall is Newark too, albeit a nicer area, but not sure the average NJ resident could make that nuance. And the media would have you believe you should be afraid to be in NYC for 3 years, though my guess is a lot of applicants are not too worried about that, especially since the schools there tend to be in nicer neighborhoods.

I do think a move would help a lot- but based on your other post, and sorry if I am reading into your comment here so correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like some in the admin don't care about the law school having competitive admissions...if the LSAT/GPA don't go up, not much will change.

At this point with the plummeting rank I would have to say there's a larger issue than location. I mean, Temple isn't in the best area, and Seton Hall is Newark too, albeit a nicer area, but not sure the average NJ resident could make that nuance. And the media would have you believe you should be afraid to be in NYC for 3 years, though my guess is a lot of applicants are not too worried about that, especially since the schools there tend to be in nicer neighborhoods.

I do think a move would help a lot- but based on your other post, and sorry if I am reading into your comment here so correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like some in the admin don't care about the law school having competitive admissions...if the LSAT/GPA don't go up, not much will change.
There are probably some faculty in Newark who don't care much about law school rankings and I know there are faculty (mostly in Newark, I believe) who don't care much about bar passage rate. Thus the merger between the Camden and Newark law schools has done a lot to hurt Camden.

FWIW, the Camden campus (which includes the law school) has a low crime rate, partly because it is removed from North and East Camden by I-676 and Route 30, because downtown Camden (which is reasonably safe) is between it and South Camden, and because the campus is *very* aggressively patrolled by the campus police, who are aided by the PATCO and Camden county police (who are the police for the city of Camden) The campus itself is not urban in category; it has plenty of greenery and open space. The campus is also only a block away from a PATCO line that is one stop away from Philadelphia's Center City and is adjacent to the Ben Franklin Bridge leading to center city and access to just about everything in the Philadelphia area. (Thus most faculty live in Pennsylvania.) There is nothing wrong with the campus except that the central administration in New Brunswick doesn't care about it because it's over an hour away from New Brunswick. (This is *not* exclusively a law school problem; other parts of the campus are starved as well.) End of rant.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
There are probably some faculty in Newark who don't care much about law school rankings and I know there are faculty (mostly in Newark, I believe) who don't care much about bar passage rate. Thus the merger between the Camden and Newark law schools has done a lot to hurt Camden.

FWIW, the Camden campus (which includes the law school) has a low crime rate, partly because it is removed from North and East Camden by I-676 and Route 30, because downtown Camden (which is reasonably safe) is between it and South Camden, and because the campus is *very* aggressively patrolled by the campus police, who are aided by the PATCO and Camden county police (who are the police for the city of Camden) The campus itself is not urban in category; it has plenty of greenery and open space. The campus is also only a block away from a PATCO line that is one stop away from Philadelphia's Center City and is adjacent to the Ben Franklin Bridge leading to center city and access to just about everything in the Philadelphia area. (Thus most faculty live in Pennsylvania.) There is nothing wrong with the campus except that the central administration in New Brunswick doesn't care about it because it's over an hour away from New Brunswick. (This is *not* exclusively a law school problem; other parts of the campus are starved as well.) End of rant.

I don't think the Newark campus is an especially bad area as well, just not as good as SHU which borders on the Ironbound which is commonly regarded as the nice part of town.

I think it's more being associated with those cities, and maybe it's unfair, but most B1G schools do have their law schools on campus and NB definitely has the better reputation.

The bar pass rate really confounds me- even the most committed to social justice need to pass the bar to practice! I mean this should be self evident. What are they expecting grads to do? Obviously there needs to be a cultural change.

• Haha
Reactions: Caliknight
I don't think the Newark campus is an especially bad area as well, just not as good as SHU which borders on the Ironbound which is commonly regarded as the nice part of town.

I think it's more being associated with those cities, and maybe it's unfair, but most B1G schools do have their law schools on campus and NB definitely has the better reputation.

The bar pass rate really confounds me- even the most committed to social justice need to pass the bar to practice! I mean this should be self evident. What are they expecting grads to do? Obviously there needs to be a cultural change.
I have heard one faculty member (from Camden) say that the bar exam is not a good test of competence and therefore the school should not be concerned with preparing students to take it. This person, btw, is brilliant -- and I'm not being sarcastic. I suppose it is proof that even the most brilliant individuals can have zero common sense -- and he is far from the only example among law and other faculty whom I dealt with in my 35-year career.

Look on the bright side, all of the hate that the school throws towards Jews and other groups is really going to help!

I have heard one faculty member (from Camden) say that the bar exam is not a good test of competence and therefore the school should not be concerned with preparing students to take it.
Exhibit A why the school is failing. Why does this person still have a job? The school's #1 priorities should be to prepare the students to pass the bar and job placement.

Exhibit A why the school is failing. Why does this person still have a job? The school's #1 priorities should be to prepare the students to pass the bar and job placement.
In law schools, there are some faculty who want to think of themselves as pure academics like professors teaching in graduate school, where many of the students aspire to be professors and where there is much less emphasis on preparing people for (as @DJ Spanky puts it) the real world. This is even more common in elite law schools where graduates will get jobs no matter how poorly prepared. (I'm not joking!) Faculty tend to have graduated from these schools and the attitudes they acquire there persist. To add to it, an increasing number of faculty have graduate degrees (e.g. in philosophy) and acquire graduate school attitudes there. Finally (as in almost every other part of the university,) there is much more emphasis in tenure/promotion on excellence in research/scholarship than in teaching, and so faculty don't regard teaching students as their first priority.

• Sad
Reactions: Leonard23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT