ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Wrestling News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty useless watching this. With Aragona not wrestling and now Del Vech got a forfeit. But it still beats doing farm chores. I needed the day on the couch.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Pagano is 200. Fear the worst for AA as the twisting that goes with the leg laces
Hope it’s good weight. He always looked like a 174/184 to me. Him, Correnti, Wright, and Lightner (I forget if he’s going to heavy or not) give us solid depth there, but really hope one emerges as a blood round guy. Competition brings out the best.

Hope it’s good weight. He always looked like a 174/184 to me. Him, Correnti, Wright, and Lightner (I forget if he’s going to heavy or not) give us solid depth there, but really hope one emerges as a blood round guy. Competition brings out the best.
Agreed except Wright has quit wrestling due to injuries. He tweeted it out, but I can't find the tweet.

Gilroy's Villareal commits to Fresno St.
I'll say one thing for Fresno St. they're doing this thing right and not half assing it. Regional Training facility, attendance already in the 4,500 range, solid recruiting. They're going to move up quickly. Really shows you what a fully committed University can do athletically in a short period of time.

I would think Delvecchio's commit had something to do with Villareal commit.
He looked like a solid wrestler, but I am hoping Delvecchio has a higher ceiling.

I'll say one thing for Fresno St. they're doing this thing right and not half assing it. Regional Training facility, attendance already in the 4,500 range, solid recruiting. They're going to move up quickly. Really shows you what a fully committed University can do athletically in a short period of time.
Yup. They have a lot of alumni support that worked for many years to bring back and fund a lot of this.

I would think Delvecchio's commit had something to do with Villareal commit.
He looked like a solid wrestler, but I am hoping Delvecchio has a higher ceiling.

Zach has 2 things that are critical at this level, attitude and athleticism as well as having a brother who already AA'd here. I honestly think this kid has the capability to be a surprise for us in a few years.

Zach has 2 things that are critical at this level, attitude and athleticism as well as having a brother who already AA'd here. I honestly think this kid has the capability to be a surprise for us in a few years.

I just hope he has the drive. I don't like the fact that he did not want to wrestle in college, and this seems to be the backup plan coming into effect. Hope he has or finds the fire and passion necessary to succeed at this level.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I just hope he has the drive. I don't like the fact that he did not want to wrestle in college, and this seems to be the backup plan coming into effect. Hope he has or finds the fire and passion necessary to succeed at this level.

Between Zach and the wrestler from Gilroy, I'm glad we got Zach. He may not have been 100% committed to wrestling during his high school years due to football, but another way to look at it is, if he does go all in, his ceiling in wrestling is very high.

Also, it could be just me, but I like seeing brothers/sons coming back to our program for the legacy. It validates the family atmosphere of our program.

I hear you, but not worried at this point. Kid has juice on the mat.

Little Rock, in its inaugural season, joins the Pac 12 as an affiliate member just so the conference can keep its auto qualifiers. What a joke. They should've taken Fresno St when they rebooted. That's gonna be some travel to and from Arkansas.

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/21958
Yea this makes no sense. Frenso St. should be in the Pac 12. and Little Rock should be in the Big 12. It's all messed up out west.

Reactions: Leonard23
I don't think Delvecchio it was going to be a bust like correnti. That South Plainfield lineage is proud and strong

DelVecchio will need to get a lot stronger to compete for blood round or AA at HWT. He's a small 225ish tweener. He needs to live in the weight room.

Reactions: Abro1975
IMO, it is very difficult to project how good DelVecchio can become at 285. Not only does S Plainfield not wrestle in many out of state, high profile tourneys where their wrestlers see top competition, but DelVecchio individually did not wrestle in many post season tournaments individually. I'm not sure DelVecchio saw any top 20 guys at 220 this year. 220 was a weak weight class this year in NJ, and in the NJ State tournament, almost all of DelVecchios wins were close matches against guys who weren't in the top 100 at 220 in the country.

Flo had Zack Del Velchicchio ranked 9 at 220. Intermat had him 8. Unfortunately I don't think he ever wrestled guys like AJ Ferrari of Bergen C, Owen Trephan of Blair, Jacob Kaminksy of Wyoming Sem, let alone someone like Lewis Fernandes of Voorhees (the 285 NJ champ the last 2 years going to Cornell) to get a read on his capabilities against the best of his peers.

The Big 10 is LOADED with young, BIG , Heavyweights . Good small athletic 285 guys like Kyle Snyder and Anthony Cassar are the rare exceptions and not the norm. The Big 10 usually is loaded with big 285 wrestlers.

IMO, RU will have to continue to continue to look for good 285 guys to recruit or transfer. Colucci will start next season, be a borderline qualifier, be ranked about 6-7 in the Big 10, giving DelVecchio a chance to get bigger, stronger, and better. Maybe he can be surprise like Anthony Cassar, who I think is a few inches taller than DelVecchio. Kyle Snyder was a stud coming out of HS.
Also, don't count out Kyle Lightner as the 285 starter either in 2 years. His practice room wrestle offs against DelVecchio will be interesting. But I have a feeling there will be a 3rd guy in the mix for the 2020-21 season.

Abro
Don’t sleep on Pagano next year at 197!

If Pagano is healthy he seems like a good fit at 184 to make the tourney. Are they worried about hurting the growth of Janzer? Pagano doesn’t seem like he has the size for 197 in the Big 10.

Get Shayne Van Ness ..

And enjoy memorial day weekend
I think we put in to much effort to get this kid. If he wants to come here then he will. We're not going to be great or bad without him. Plus there are so many other kids at his weight class that I would much rather see here. I don't think he has a very high ceiling. Just my opinion

I think we put in to much effort to get this kid. If he wants to come here then he will. We're not going to be great or bad without him. Plus there are so many other kids at his weight class that I would much rather see here. I don't think he has a very high ceiling. Just my opinion
Err I have to disagree.... SVN is a 5 star recruit.. he’s a Ashnault, Suriano lvl type of recruit who will make an impact right away... he has a legitimate shot at being a ncaa champion for whichever team he wrestles for... idk if a ceiling can be much higher then that... we gotta go all in for these types of kids..

Reactions: ANewRU

If the effort you speak of is me writing “get Shayne Van Ness” once a month, I promise you it’s not costing me much. Let’s load up on the talent and then challenge our program to develop it.

I'm not, not at all, hope he stays healthy. IF he is fully healthy and stays healthy he could take the job from Correnti.
I hope Pagano does. Correnti I just feel like is a tweener and is sucking too much weight. Also is Pat Downey working with our big men?

I thought Correnti started coming on second half of freshman year. Something didn’t click that redshirt season when he tried to bulk up and carried into last season. The talent is there.

As for Van Ness, I’m guessing he’s looking towards Ivy etc. his dad keeping it close to vest but I think Shane will make the decision. The positive is that Rod is still very pro RU and I know he’s happy Donny is still here. Who knows. Still, given the legacy connection you don’t back off him.

I’m so happy with this years class that I don’t feel we are under the gun for one kid.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
IMO, it is very difficult to project how good DelVecchio can become at 285. Not only does S Plainfield not wrestle in many out of state, high profile tourneys where their wrestlers see top competition, but DelVecchio individually did not wrestle in many post season tournaments individually. I'm not sure DelVecchio saw any top 20 guys at 220 this year. 220 was a weak weight class this year in NJ, and in the NJ State tournament, almost all of DelVecchios wins were close matches against guys who weren't in the top 100 at 220 in the country.

Flo had Zack Del Velchicchio ranked 9 at 220. Intermat had him 8. Unfortunately I don't think he ever wrestled guys like AJ Ferrari of Bergen C, Owen Trephan of Blair, Jacob Kaminksy of Wyoming Sem, let alone someone like Lewis Fernandes of Voorhees (the 285 NJ champ the last 2 years going to Cornell) to get a read on his capabilities against the best of his peers.

The Big 10 is LOADED with young, BIG , Heavyweights . Good small athletic 285 guys like Kyle Snyder and Anthony Cassar are the rare exceptions and not the norm. The Big 10 usually is loaded with big 285 wrestlers.

IMO, RU will have to continue to continue to look for good 285 guys to recruit or transfer. Colucci will start next season, be a borderline qualifier, be ranked about 6-7 in the Big 10, giving DelVecchio a chance to get bigger, stronger, and better. Maybe he can be surprise like Anthony Cassar, who I think is a few inches taller than DelVecchio. Kyle Snyder was a stud coming out of HS.
Also, don't count out Kyle Lightner as the 285 starter either in 2 years. His practice room wrestle offs against DelVecchio will be interesting. But I have a feeling there will be a 3rd guy in the mix for the 2020-21 season.

I don't see K. Lightner as an option for 285.
He was at 97 KG for the WTT.
That is 213 lb.
Someone said he weighted in at 206 during the trials (Not sure how accurate).
He could gain weight in 2 years, but it seems like he is trying to go 197.

Reactions: Abro1975
I don't see K. Lightner as an option for 285.
He was at 97 KG for the WTT.
That is 213 lb.
Someone said he weighted in at 206 during the trials (Not sure how accurate).
He could gain weight in 2 years, but it seems like he is trying to go 197.
Very accurate.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
I didn't see it mentioned yet on this forum...Kevin Mulligan is transferring to Divison II, San Fransisco State. He will have 2 years of eligibility remaining- I think. Best of luck to Kevin and hoping he will be concussion and injury free.

Last edited:
I didn't see it mentioned yet on this forum...Kevin Mulligan is transferring to Divison II, San Fransisco State. He will have 2 years of eligibility remaining- I think. Best of luck to Kevin and hoping he will be concussion and injury free.
Hope he doesn't give the same effort he gave here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT