ADVERTISEMENT

8-0 start heading into game vs #1 Michigan State in East Lansing

Seems like this (8-0) has to happen for us to believe we have a shot at postseason play this year.

Gotta win our home games to start the season 7-0. Then out at Pitt which basically had the same record as us last year. Would love to think we’re ready to step up and win a road game like that but b-ball is a strange game where a decent opponent can hit a big shot or might be a bad matchup.

If we do go 8-0 and are competitive with Sparty, watch out.

I'm going on record to say there is no way we go 8-0 to open the season. No way. We will fall flat on our faces at least once in 8 games.

Every year I read posts about all these games we'll win and they are never right. Never. Flip side is we probably win a few we didn't think we'd win at the start of the season.

Relying on shooting and having defensive issues adds to chance of losing a game we shouldn’t, BUT being able to match a OOC team with a smaller lineup gives us a huge advantage.....something we haven’t seen before.

Yeboah/Harper at the 4 is a game changer OOC.

In OOC, gotta play with a chip on our shoulder and not think we’re just gonna roll over lesser teams. If and when we get a decent lead, we can’t let up.

We’ll need that mental toughness developed in the OOC to play hard and smart in the B1G games, with hopefully just enough confidence built up to play loose as well.

We have the physical size and talent to play with anyone. This year we‘ll need the proper mindset to grab the brass ring and get into the postseason.

I'm going on record to say there is no way we go 8-0 to open the season. No way. We will fall flat on our faces at least once in 8 games.

Every year I read posts about all these games we'll win and they are never right. Never. Flip side is we probably win a few we didn't think we'd win at the start of the season.
--
I have a hard time arguing against this, based on past history..... many a year we have fans figuring going 9-2 pre conference, or better.

we CAN hope..... this time it happens.

I don’t think having these expectations is unwarranted this year. But what would be more telling, to me, is HOW we beat lesser teams.

If we thrash them, as most expect our talent level to warrant, then yeah the possibility of a marquee matchup with MSU becomes more exciting. However, a dose of reality and adversity could also do wonders for a still young and overconfident team. As in a few close wins...

I trust Pike!

8-0 is not an automatic. We have been shocked with losses many times to teams we thought we would defeat easily. We cannot take anyone lightly. St. Bonaventure in Toronto and Pittsburgh at Pitt will both be tough games. St. Bonaventure will probably have way more fans in Toronto than RU as they are so much closer. Pitt at Pitt should be tough as well as they have good players as well and a true road game against an ACC team in the BIG-ACC Challenge will not be easy. As to Hall85 he is right perhaps our schedule should be tougher but RU hasn't had a winning season in a long time. Only a few years ago SHU fans were ripping Willard for his schedule as well. Now because SHU is so highly ranked he thinks they are world beaters. When RU gets close to being very good I am certain their schedule will be much tougher as well. Many SHU fans criticize RU for being near the bottom of the BIG yet they expect them to play an OOC schedule like they are a Top 25 team. Go back and check the easy schedules that SHU had in OOC just about 5 years ago. They were very comparable to what RU is doing right now. Many SHU fans are bragging that SHU will win this game easily. We shall see soon enough.

Relying on shooting and having defensive issues adds to chance of losing a game we shouldn’t, BUT being able to match a OOC team with a smaller lineup gives us a huge advantage.....something we haven’t seen before.

This is a great point... the small ball point for OOC teams with smallish front courts.

Reactions: Scangg

One nice difference this year is all the returning minutes and less reliance on freshmen.
- Last year we were playing a lot of freshmen (Mathis/Harper/Johnson/McConnell) and a transfer (Kiss).
- Year before we had two freshman starters (Baker/Doucoure), a questionable transfer (Mensah), and two players hampered by injury (Doorson/Williams)... with a real lack of guard depth that forced us to play a walkon (Dadika).
- Year before was three freshmen (Thiam/Omoruyi/Bullock) and three transfers (Johnson/Gettys/Sa)

If the game in Toronto is in the Maple Leafs arena and there are 1,500 Saint Bonaventure, I don’t think the crowd will matter at all.Since we recruit Canada for football players , I would like to see Rutgers provide Free tickets to Ontario football coaches. Players as well if OK by NCAA rules.

One nice difference this year is all the returning minutes and less reliance on freshmen.
- Last year we were playing a lot of freshmen (Mathis/Harper/Johnson/McConnell) and a transfer (Kiss).
- Year before we had two freshman starters (Baker/Doucoure), a questionable transfer (Mensah), and two players hampered by injury (Doorson/Williams)... with a real lack of guard depth that forced us to play a walkon (Dadika).
- Year before was three freshmen (Thiam/Omoruyi/Bullock) and three transfers (Johnson/Gettys/Sa)
And the junior college transfer.

I know there is so many people around here with the “Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown mentality”.... but I really see a lot more from this group than most

I truly think maturity alone in the mental part of game, without one ounce of skill or physical development....makes this team 17-14

And this team has so much talent up side and be more physically ready than last year team

Try to judge this team on the team and not last 28 years ....

Michigan State May not be #1 when we play them. They have very tough OOC schedule.

This year's team is so much more talented I don't think it even makes sense to compare

Completely agree which is why I think we start hot and crush the OOC schedule this year. The team has more talent and better shooters which makes a WTF game less likely. The length of the team is a lot for smaller programs to handle. We also haven't been good enough for our roster to be overly cocky and take these wins for granted. They have something to prove this season

Foul shooting and making 3 pointers will be the deciding factors on the number of wins.Returning players need to step up and show that the positive hype is justified.A winning season is a absolute must for perception which will enhance recruiting higher level talent.

Time to come out with full effort and all business from the opening tip against Bryant 20 days there and get to 8-0 heading out to play Sparti.

It can ...and I’ll dare to say it...it should happen

59.2% chance of traveling to Pittsburgh 7-0.

--
I have a hard time arguing against this, based on past history..... many a year we have fans figuring going 9-2 pre conference, or better.

we CAN hope..... this time it happens.

8-0 is not an automatic. We have been shocked with losses many times to teams we thought we would defeat easily. We cannot take anyone lightly. St. Bonaventure in Toronto and Pittsburgh at Pitt will both be tough games. St. Bonaventure will probably have way more fans in Toronto than RU as they are so much closer. Pitt at Pitt should be tough as well as they have good players as well and a true road game against an ACC team in the BIG-ACC Challenge will not be easy. As to Hall85 he is right perhaps our schedule should be tougher but RU hasn't had a winning season in a long time. Only a few years ago SHU fans were ripping Willard for his schedule as well. Now because SHU is so highly ranked he thinks they are world beaters. When RU gets close to being very good I am certain their schedule will be much tougher as well. Many SHU fans criticize RU for being near the bottom of the BIG yet they expect them to play an OOC schedule like they are a Top 25 team. Go back and check the easy schedules that SHU had in OOC just about 5 years ago. They were very comparable to what RU is doing right now. Many SHU fans are bragging that SHU will win this game easily. We shall see soon enough.

I have expected wins on neutral court 7.38.

Expected wins as scheduled 7.26.

8-0 is a reasonable expectation.

Thank you very much

MSU guard Josh Langford our indefinitely with recurring foot injury. To be re-evaluated in January.

We are due for an epic upset under Pike this season...

We have played MSU very very tough over the years with worse teams

They didn't have him the entire back half of the schedule last year, including their Final 4 run. Still a great team (I'm not breaking any news here of course)

They didn't have him the entire back half of the schedule last year, including their Final 4 run. Still a great team (I'm not breaking any news here of course)
MSU is great no doubt. For whatever reason we have had some really good games against them the last couple years and put a little scare in them... and this is our best team yet.

Reactions: ScarletDave
MSU is great no doubt. For whatever reason we have had some really good games against them the last couple years and put a little scare in them... and this is our best team yet.

Ahrens has been hurt for them too I believe. Would be really really nice to split (at least) the MSU/Wisconsin early-season B1G games. Both teams will be somewhat shorthanded.

Bryant on Nov 7..thats all I'm thinking about...as coach says lets go 1-0. We've had too many Hartford, Stony, Fordham games. All these mid major teams pose a problem.

Only focus on what is in front of you. Look up when you are done.

Forget 8-0. Go 1-0 first.

That whole stretch with Pitt and SHU is going to be absolutely massive in determining the direction of the rest of the season

On December 14th our post season fate will be in pencil (with bart spread)......
St. Bonaventure in Canada -5
Pitt in Pittsburgh +2 1/2
Wisconsin at home - 1 1/2
Seton Hall at home -2

Assuming a loss to MSU (which I don't really assume) there are 4 games with the bartovik point spread is close.

11-0 top 25
10-1 post season hopes VERY strong
9-2 expectation unchanged from where they are now
8-3 slightly disappointing, but still have hopes/dreams
7-4 start thinking about improving through out the year and look towards '20-21
6-5 momentum of the programat best stalled.

Don't want to be too dramatic. Think last year....stupid shot vs. Iowa...Eugene gets hurt....Issa doesn't get through 2 screens, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT