ADVERTISEMENT

8 Team College Playoff Model being discussed

Morrischiano

All American
Dec 3, 2019
@RossDellenger
Ross Dellenger Retweeted Brett McMurphy

A Power 5 AD in New York this week said a specific 8-team playoff model is circulating around the CFB world that would incorporate bowls, including a bowl-sponsored national championship game.
The model:
- 5 auto bids for P5 champs
- 2 at-large
- 1 Group of 5

--------------
Two more years of a 4 team playoff (after this year) so if there is money in expanding the playoffs, then it will certainly occur. Personally, I'd rather have a 6 team playoff with the 5 P5 conference winners getting in with one Group of 5 team making it (particularly because it F's Notre Dame). Top two seeds get a first round bye. Only adds two more games.

Meh. Just go to 4 super conferences and have 4 conference champs. So simple. Why make it so complicated.

That’s what happened to NASCAR. They kept changing it and ruined it. The stands are empty.

People like college football because every game is meaningful.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
I like the basic premise, but I would want the additional qualifications:

• To get an autobid, a champion had to have played 9 regular season conference games. The SEC scheduling is a joke and they should be forced to get better.

• The P5 champs must be ranked in the top 15 or better to get the automatic bid and the G5 champ must be top 18. I don't want to see an 8-4 Pac12 South team get into the playoff because they upset a 10-2 Pac12 North team.

• A conference can only receive a maximum of 2 at large bids. I don't want to hear how the SEC deserves 4 teams in the playoff in a year the G5 doesn't have a team qualify to make it.

Thank you. This is what I've been clamoring for. The G5 teams will never be able to complain again as they have a legitimate shot at the title now. And the conference title games will get some needed juice since a win there means a ticket to the playoff (And a potentital bubble burster).

I have a bad feeling that the "bowl sponsored 8-team playoff" means that the round of 8 will be all at neutral sites. This will mean very poor attendance, especially from the fans of the higher seeds who will want to save their money for the later rounds. But hey, TV.

I like the basic premise, but I would want the additional qualifications:

• To get an autobid, a champion had to have played 9 regular season conference games. The SEC scheduling is a joke and they should be forced to get better.

• The P5 champs must be ranked in the top 15 or better to get the automatic bid and the G5 champ must be top 18. I don't want to see an 8-4 Pac12 South team get into the playoff because they upset a 10-2 Pac12 North team.

• A conference can only receive a maximum of 2 at large bids. I don't want to hear how the SEC deserves 4 teams in the playoff in a year the G5 doesn't have a team qualify to make it.
I can go along with that kind of thing that to me is sort of fine tuning on the general premise.

Thank you. This is what I've been clamoring for. The G5 teams will never be able to complain again as they have a legitimate shot at the title now. And the conference title games will get some needed juice since a win there means a ticket to the playoff (And a potentital bubble burster).

I have a bad feeling that the "bowl sponsored 8-team playoff" means that the round of 8 will be all at neutral sites. This will mean very poor attendance, especially from the fans of the higher seeds who will want to save their money for the later rounds. But hey, TV.
I’d hope the first round would be at the higher seed’s school. It’s good for fan travel attendance and atmosphere... may finally see warm weather teams (SEC specifically) travel to cold weather destinations and also possibly play in the elements.

That makes for good tv still.

expanding makes sense and autobids for the 5 conference champs also makes sense.
In some years you may have a 2 loss conference champ beat out a 0 or 1 loss team.

Also, allows teams to schedule tough OOC games where they may lose but be able to win their conference and make the playoffs.

Right now Ohio St and Alabama have little incentive to schedule a neutral site early season OOC game against another top 10 caliber team. If they lose in September then they have the 1 loss they are allowed to potentially make the 4 team playoff. But... if just say Alabama loses to Oregon in a neutral site game played in Dallas on Sep 5th they can still go 7-1 in conference and then win the championship game to make an 8 team playoff. Same with Oregon who can lose to Alabama in this neutral site game before going 8-1 in conference and win the championship game.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
simple, All Power 5 conference must play 9 conference games or more
That means SEC and ACC need to change. They can't cheat the system anymore or the other Power 5 need to change and go to 8 conference teams. But, the most important thing is that it should be as equal as possible within reason.

All Power 5 Champs get auto bids
Plus highest ranked G5 champ
2 at large Should be the two highest ranked non champions from anywhere: P5, G5, Indies.

Reactions: Peteyd
Blow up the Big 12 and make four 16 team conferences.

-Everyone plays 8 conference games. (7 divisional, 1 out of division)
-Conference Championship games are the first round.
-You can only play 1 FCS team to qualify for the playoff.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
Blow up the Big 12 and make four 16 team conferences.

-Everyone plays 8 conference games. (7 divisional, 1 out of division)
-Conference Championship games are the first round.
-You can only play 1 FCS team to qualify for the playoff.

Why blow up the Big 12?

Why not blow up the ACC or PAc-12, they suck too!

Not every conference have to be the same, but they should all play the same number of conference games 9 or 8.

The less subjectivity we have, the better. The committee immediately writes off a team like UCF two years ago because they are a mid major school. Prove a teams worth on the field, not in a 13 person debate. With a 8 team playoff, winning your conference actually means something. Underdogs actually get a chance which is the case in every other sport other than college football. And I wouldnt automatically overlook G5 teams in the playoffs. In the cfp era, G5 champs are 3-2 with both losses coming at 8 points.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
until a playoff format comes into being that allows for a team to have 1-2 bad games and still qualify you won't see equality.

SEC knows that they can get more bowl participants with 4 OOC games.

At the same time the 3-4 best teams in the conference can assure they can play 1 less power 5 opponent (excluding GA and FL since they play an instate rival from the ACC) .

I’d hope the first round would be at the higher seed’s school. It’s good for fan travel attendance and atmosphere... may finally see warm weather teams (SEC specifically) travel to cold weather destinations and also possibly play in the elements.

That makes for good tv still.

Would love to see an SEC team play Wisconsin at Wisconsin in December.

simple, All Power 5 conference must play 9 conference games or more
That means SEC and ACC need to change. They can't cheat the system anymore or the other Power 5 need to change and go to 8 conference teams. But, the most important thing is that it should be as equal as possible within reason.

All Power 5 Champs get auto bids
Plus highest ranked G5 champ
2 at large Should be the two highest ranked non champions from anywhere: P5, G5, Indies.

How are they "cheating the system"? The system proposed is that they have to win their conference to get into the playoffs. In the current environment, that means winning a conference championship game. You aren't asking for nine conference games for teams earning automatic bids, you are asking for 10. Being the higher seed is irrelevant if the games are being played in bowl destinations rather than playing them on campus. You could make a case that being the visitor is more of an advantage in a neutral site game because you call the opening coin toss as well as the coin toss in the event of overtime. This is with a crowd that is likely fairly close to a 50/50 mix.

In the current system, the #1 team has to play in a bowl game where they are not at a disadvantage / gain a better advantage. You could make the case the Peach Bowl is only better than the Fiesta for LSU because they are playing Oklahoma. LSU fans are making the trip to Atlanta twice this December and they would probably be playing in the Fiesta if Clemson was the #4 seed because Clemson is much closer to Atlanta than Baton Rouge is.

One of the differences between these two leagues and the other three P5 conferences is that there are four cross-conference rivalries played annually that is very similar to a conference game.

Florida vs Florida State
Georgia vs Georgia Tech
South Carolina vs Clemson
Kentucky vs Louisville

The only way the SEC or ACC may "cheat the system" would be if they didn't win their conference nor play in their conference championship game. The only SEC team who did not play a P5 opponent OOC this year was Tennessee whereas all ACC teams played at least 9 P5 opponents.

How are they "cheating the system"?

See current system. It is a lot easier to get ranked higher if you play an easier schedule like the SEC and ACC. The Big Ten and Big 12 switched to nine conference games for Strength of schedule and for tV rights, but it also make sit harder to go undefeated and harder for the lower half teams to make bowl games.

The only way the SEC or ACC may "cheat the system" would be if they didn't win their conference nor play in their conference championship game. The only SEC team who did not play a P5 opponent OOC this year was Tennessee whereas all ACC teams played at least 9 P5 opponents.

They would need to play TWO P5 teams OOC to play the same number that the Big Ten schools play. Big Ten schools play 9 conference games PLUS a Power 5 team.

Look, I am against this.
Make the conference rating more important than team rankings and let the playoffs determine the team.
That in a way gives you eight teams.
Why something so easy is so hard for many?
If we don't do that, then we in a fact have 16 teams.
This is getting ridiculous. Even NFL does not have a 16 team playoffs.
I am voting against this stupid idea. It solves nothing.

@RossDellenger
Ross Dellenger Retweeted Brett McMurphy

A Power 5 AD in New York this week said a specific 8-team playoff model is circulating around the CFB world that would incorporate bowls, including a bowl-sponsored national championship game.
The model:
- 5 auto bids for P5 champs
- 2 at-large
- 1 Group of 5

--------------
Two more years of a 4 team playoff (after this year) so if there is money in expanding the playoffs, then it will certainly occur. Personally, I'd rather have a 6 team playoff with the 5 P5 conference winners getting in with one Group of 5 team making it (particularly because it F's Notre Dame). Top two seeds get a first round bye. Only adds two more games.
5 champions + 1 Group 5
BB TOC Style

How are they "cheating the system"?

See current system. It is a lot easier to get ranked higher if you play an easier schedule like the SEC and ACC. The Big Ten and Big 12 switched to nine conference games for Strength of schedule and for tV rights, but it also make sit harder to go undefeated and harder for the lower half teams to make bowl games.

You are taking a conference champion to play at a neutral field, which makes your point completely irrelevant. Had LSU lost to Texas this season, the only difference would be they were ranked no lower than 3rd which still gives them a home playoff game at a neutral field. How many P5 OOC opponents did Ohio State play this year? None. LSU and Ohio State played the exact same number of P5 games and LSU played one more unique opponent because they didn't play Georgia while Ohio State played Wisconsin twice. In fact, Clemson played more P5 opponents than both LSU and Ohio State because they played Texas A&M and South Carolina.

Ohio State's cross division games were 10-3 Wisconsin, 5-7 Nebraska, and 3-9 Northwestern. LSU's were 10-2 Florida and 3-9 Vanderbilt. Toss in that Ohio State did not play an OOC P5 team while LSU played 7-5 Texas. You could make the point that LSU played a tougher non-cupcake schedule. You don't have the point you think you do.

I'll say this every time it is brought up. The issue isn't the number of teams, it's the lack of clearly defined qualification. We argued who the #2 team was in the BCS era, now we argue over who the #4 team is. If you go to 8 teams, we'll argue over who the #7 and #8 teams should be. It doesn't fix the problem. Just take the five P5 champions and you are in effect expanding the playoffs to 10 teams without adding games to the schedule (except for the #4 and #5 teams who would play each other to see who gets the last semifinal spot), and you eliminate any controversy because everyone has a clear path. Win your division to qualify for the conference championship, win your conference championship to qualify for the national playoff. No more seasons ending at the whim of a committee.

I'll say this every time it is brought up. The issue isn't the number of teams, it's the lack of clearly defined qualification. We argued who the #2 team was in the BCS era, now we argue over who the #4 team is. If you go to 8 teams, we'll argue over who the #7 and #8 teams should be. It doesn't fix the problem. Just take the five P5 champions and you are in effect expanding the playoffs to 10 teams without adding games to the schedule (except for the #4 and #5 teams who would play each other to see who gets the last semifinal spot), and you eliminate any controversy because everyone has a clear path. Win your division to qualify for the conference championship, win your conference championship to qualify for the national playoff. No more seasons ending at the whim of a committee.
I don't consider conference champ games as part of the playoffs as much as money grabs (not that all of this isn't a money grab)....especially with the imbalance in some conferences. UVA has improved but should they have been part of a 10 team playoff in your example? Or should they have pulled off a miracle upset of Clemson should they have gotten in off 1 win? I don't think so.

Really it just has to be about the best representative from each conference participating not necessarily a winner of the conference title game. Like in basketball if some unexpected team makes a run in the conference tourney the regular season champ isn't left out. They still make it.

You don't have that luxury in football to automatically take both if one makes a big upset so thinking about it I'd still want the committee to decide the rankings and take the best representative from each conference as a baseline and then a high enough ranked G5 and 2 wild cards.

Also think there's a bigger deal between 4 & 5 vs 7 & 8 & 9 because right now not everyone is included...at 8 teams everything is encompassed so less of a big deal as long as everyone has a foot in the door.

Any Championship where one of the Power 5 conferences is not represented is fatally flawed.
The beauty of the NCAA hoops championship is everybody gets a chance. Give the non power 5's a chance as well. Boise and UCF for starters have shown they belong.
If attendance worries, play at higher seed.
Northern schools always have to go south or west to play bowls. Lets see Clemson, Bama, LSU play outside in 25 degrees weather, WIND and snow.

5 champions + 1 Group 5
BB TOC Style
Agreed. Top 2 teams get byes and the first round played on campus of the higher seed. No need for 8 teams. That could lead to teams that lose a conference championship game, or who don't even make it to conf champ game getting in. Which would set up what the conference basketball tournaments have turned into...where it's nice to win but for some teams who really cares, they are in the tournament anyway. I remember Jim Calhoun one year stating publicly that he was glad his team lost early in the BE tournament so it could get ready for the NCAA tournament.

Tim Tebow cried after Florida lost the SEC championship game to Bama, because he knew it was over; even though that was in the days before the 4 team playoff, Florida dropped to 5th after that loss. With 8 teams they would be in the playoffs anyway, and granted Tim may have still cried, but he would be getting right back on the horse and getting ready for the first round of the playoffs...

I hate the playoff system - liked the old bowl system so much more - made all the bowl games and especially the NY Day ones, much more special. Now, I barely watch them. I don't really care if there's a "true champion" or not - half the fun was hearing everyone arguing about the polls.

Any Championship where one of the Power 5 conferences is not represented is fatally flawed. The beauty of the NCAA hoops championship is everybody gets a chance.
That's why I advocate a 128 team playoff - well, since there's 130 teams we'd have 2 add-in games for the last 2 spots. Make the regular season 8-9 games long, then seed on the results from that. Wallah! Now, nobody will complain!
I hate the playoff system - liked the old bowl system so much more - made all the bowl games and especially the NY Day ones, much more special. Now, I barely watch them. I don't really care if there's a "true champion" or not - half the fun was hearing everyone arguing about the polls.
Completely agree.
And the SEC will find a way to have 6 of the 8 spots. :Wink:
That's because, well, they're the SEC. DUH! Their championship game for all practical purposes should just decide the CFP champion doncha think?

Agreed. Top 2 teams get byes and the first round played on campus of the higher seed. No need for 8 teams. That could lead to teams that lose a conference championship game, or who don't even make it to conf champ game getting in. Which would set up what the conference basketball tournaments have turned into...where it's nice to win but for some teams who really cares, they are in the tournament anyway. I remember Jim Calhoun one year stating publicly that he was glad his team lost early in the BE tournament so it could get ready for the NCAA tournament.

Tim Tebow cried after Florida lost the SEC championship game to Bama, because he knew it was over; even though that was in the days before the 4 team playoff, Florida dropped to 5th after that loss. With 8 teams they would be in the playoffs anyway, and granted Tim may have still cried, but he would be getting right back on the horse and getting ready for the first round of the playoffs...
You could have probably said the same thing for this year. If LSU lost do you think they wouldn't have gotten in. They likely would have. So would have OSU if they had lost too. Possibly Clemson even. OSU/Alabama have already made it in without going to the champ game.

The playoffs are about trying to get the best teams of the season in and ideally make sure everyone has a foot in the door and inject some of the beauty of sports into it as well...with upsets, cinderella, inclement weather etc...

To much money currently off the table for this not to happen. However the G5 shouldn't automatically have a spot. They should have to be ranked inside the top 8. Just like UCF was, otherwise you can't go 13-0 with those crap schedules you don't belong.

To much money currently off the table for this not to happen. However the G5 shouldn't automatically have a spot. They should have to be ranked inside the top 8. Just like UCF was, otherwise you can't go 13-0 with those crap schedules you don't belong.
Agree with you on the high enough ranking but top 8 might be stringent maybe 12-15.

P5 needs to shut out the Independants and the G5 TBH.

Make a rule that non-P5 OOC games don't count and things will change. We'll see P5 teams scheduling with other P5 conferences which will clear up who is good and who is not. Right now you have too many schools "manufacturing" success through scheduling. Then you go to 6 team playoff. top 2 get a bye, all 5 champs get in, 1 at large.

Or the G5 should have a mini playoff to send a winner as the G5 Champ.
Probably too many games for a G5 participant. Even the 16 for the champ game participants is pushing the boundary but I think that’s as far as it’ll go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT