ADVERTISEMENT

Allow me to offer a different but very positive spin on our position…

RedTeam1994

All Conference
Jan 15, 2021
Imho these are givens: With our numerous quality wins and BiG10 record we would have been ranked had we just managed not to lose to Umass and Lafayette. And right now we would be considered a tourney lock

but we would be facing the same gauntlet to end the season.

thus right now the discussion on here would undoubtedly be about the likelihood that we lose out and choke our way out of an invite. That’s no fun

also knowing how this team seems to step up to challenges but underperforms when in front - I think with the mentality of this team - if ranked and a tourney lock - they WOULD have chocked.

instead - we have a HUGE challenge ahead!! They will need to fight every night, get MULTIPLE more HUGE wins. And as we have all seen this team steps up to those challenges. Theyve done it time and again

Thus frankly I find this position more fun - ie more fun to have a challenge ahead (that we CAN do) than be worrying about choking and losing out (which would have been likely IMHO)

that’s my perspective anyway

Apologies…looking now. We’d be in but not by much. Bart has us 1.5 wins off bubble right noe
Which kind of speaks to my point even more …

if we hadn’t lost those games we would be in different position - ie, we would still have to do well through this gauntlet but the emphasis would be “let’s not choke”

instead now we are looking up at a very very tough (but doable) challenge

looking on the bright side…. I do kinda prefer the latter

and there’s nothing we can do about it so might as well look on the bright side 😀

If we had won those 2 games we would be 16-7 right now and with 7 games to play. Although our NET would be much better, we would need 4 more wins to get to the magic 20 number. It was always going to come down to the "February Gauntlet" for RU. The two losses just made it harder.

Tell me where you have iowa or WVU right now and that would be your answer.

EDIT Iowa better one to look at and you might be right

We would still be a bubble team.
.but one that leans likely...not one residing on the last 8 line. Remember most schools still have 7-8 games to play..its very early for this

We would still be a bubble team.
.but one that leans likely...not one residing on the last 8 line. Remember most schools still have 7-8 games to play..its very early for this
correct most are bubble teams right now......but I was wrong in that if the season ended we wouldnt be on the bubble.

take a look at WVU...they lost 7 in a row and still in the hunt....they had a little bit of a gauntlet themselves

correct most are bubble teams right now......but I was wrong in that if the season ended we wouldnt be on the bubble.

take a look at WVU...they lost 7 in a row and still in the hunt....they had a little bit of a gauntlet themselves

The is a ton of mediocrity..consider No Carolina...0-7 in quad 1 but with no real bad losses they probably will dance if this holds

I've been able to manage this season much better than the past two years.

The last two years, I wanted this team to get to the NCAA Tournament so badly. Every loss was super painful and wins brought more relief than happiness.

With an NCAA Tournament victory under our belt, I've been able to enjoy the wins more and shrug off the losses. This season, despite the ups and downs, has been very enjoyable for me.

Sidebar - I was in attendance for the Purdue, Michigan, and MSU games and not in attendance for Lafayette and Maryland. That has helped. :)

Reactions: RedTeam1994
The is a ton of mediocrity..consider No Carolina...0-7 in quad 1 but with no real bad losses they probably will dance if this holds
If you get THAT many Q1 chances and don't win one that should be a much much much bigger red flag than a bad loss IMO. The tournament is filled with good teams and you did nothing but show you can't beat any of them

If you only get a couple chances at Q1 I wouldn't hold that against teams

Reactions: kcg88
If Ron hits the shot against Northwestern we're competing for a Big Ten regular season championship down the stretch.

Of course, you could say the same thing about many of our wins. A few bounces the other way we're already cooked.

Tell me where you have iowa or WVU right now and that would be your answer.

EDIT Iowa better one to look at and you might be right
Iowa is 1-5 vs. Q1. We have 4. Big difference. They have a neutral win but if we won UMass we’d have an extra true road win.

Reactions: RUDead
I'm just thrilled, and somewhat amazed, that we have a path after how this season began. Exciting next 7 games and likely a tough out at the B1G tournament.

Reactions: kcg88
They have 9 games plus big 10 tourney...thats 30% of season

Cannot slip up vs Maryland tonight
But check out Iowa’s remaining schedule. They actually only have 3 more Q1 opportunities.

Also - that one Q1 win is vs. Utah State (neutral). They are at 44. Not even guaranteed to stay there. Though Indiana or VA could move up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT