ADVERTISEMENT

Ash can grow into a good head coach

so instead of actually trying to move into the black,we have to try and 'subsidize' the loss of millions in ticket revenue with an increase share of B10(which is still light years behind rest of B10)?

Pretty much. Looks like he anticipated ticket revenues would fall. One article has full share being delayed to 2027. We are expected to get 40+ Million in 2021, which would be a big jump.

Pretty much. Looks like he anticipated ticket revenues would fall. One article has full share being delayed to 2027. We are expected to get 40+ Million in 2021, which would be a big jump.
thats IF RU is still in B10 by then with its bungling approach to Football.
This Iowa paper,,fellow B10 member school,questions IF RU will still be around in B10 next contract go around. At the current mismanagement of program,you have to wonder.
https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...l-2019-schedule-preview-rutgers-game-20190522

EP-190529921.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

It’s not financially equipped to be in the Big Ten. The school spent more than it brought in on sports in 2017, leaving a $2.3 million operating deficit, per NJ.com. The kicker is this: Rutgers athletics received $21.32 million in direct institutional support from the school and another $11.77 million in student fees, also according to NJ.com.

One of the nation’s most heavily subsidized athletic programs competes in the same division with Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. And Michigan State (why not, let’s throw the Spartans in there).

Of course, there’s a facilities deficit. The combined winning percentage of all Rutgers teams in the Big Ten since 2014-15 is .260 (177-514-13 record).

There is a deeply detailed post on Rutgers athletics’ finances here from NJ.com. The Big Ten advanced the school on its future conference payouts. This, of course, puts a dent in Rutgers’ future conference payouts, and Rutgers won’t receive a full financial share from the Big Ten until 2027.

Given the financial hole and lack of tradition? It’s really difficult to see success here. Frankly, when the college football world goes through TV bidding again sometime in the mid-2020s, Rutgers probably isn’t in the Big Ten.

Rutgers, man.

Last edited:
thats IF RU is still in B10 by then with its bungling approach to Football.
This Iowa paper,,fellow B10 member school,questions IF RU will still be around in B10 next contract go around. At the current mismanagement of program,you have to wonder.
https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...l-2019-schedule-preview-rutgers-game-20190522

EP-190529921.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

It’s not financially equipped to be in the Big Ten. The school spent more than it brought in on sports in 2017, leaving a $2.3 million operating deficit, per NJ.com. The kicker is this: Rutgers athletics received $21.32 million in direct institutional support from the school and another $11.77 million in student fees, also according to NJ.com.

One of the nation’s most heavily subsidized athletic programs competes in the same division with Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. And Michigan State (why not, let’s throw the Spartans in there).

Of course, there’s a facilities deficit. The combined winning percentage of all Rutgers teams in the Big Ten since 2014-15 is .260 (177-514-13 record).

There is a deeply detailed post on Rutgers athletics’ finances here from NJ.com. The Big Ten advanced the school on its future conference payouts. This, of course, puts a dent in Rutgers’ future conference payouts, and Rutgers won’t receive a full financial share from the Big Ten until 2027.

Given the financial hole and lack of tradition? It’s really difficult to see success here. Frankly, when the college football world goes through TV bidding again sometime in the mid-2020s, Rutgers probably isn’t in the Big Ten.

Rutgers, man.

That's wishful thinking on that writer's part since he ignores league bylaws, contract law and many other details that make his fantasy separation possible. Additionally, while sports receives the bulk of the attention it's a small part of what the B1G is about. The B1G is an academic enterprise that RU fits very well in as a member institution.

So does this delusional author really believe that the B1G is going to spend tens of millions of dollars in legal fees and be subject to a payout in the high hundreds of millions if not over a billion dollars convincing a court that a member institution that fits very well into its profile needed to be removed over it's football program?

I know it's the internet and because someone wrote something negative towards RU it automatically makes it true but use your head before giving this idiot validity by linking and posting his trash as exhibit A in your comment.

According to you. Time will tell.

According to you RU is going to win the B1G East, Art is a Heisman caliber player, we have a once in a generation WR (who actually padded stats against weak teams), our OL will be improvied because it's mostly seniors, etc. I think I have a little more credibility here.

That's wishful thinking on that writer's part since he ignores league bylaws, contract law and many other details that make his fantasy separation possible. Additionally, while sports receives the bulk of the attention it's a small part of what the B1G is about. The B1G is an academic enterprise that RU fits very well in as a member institution.

So does this delusional author really believe that the B1G is going to spend tens of millions of dollars in legal fees and be subject to a payout in the high hundreds of millions if not over a billion dollars convincing a court that a member institution that fits very well into its profile needed to be removed over it's football program?

I know it's the internet and because someone wrote something negative towards RU it automatically makes it true but use your head before giving this idiot validity by linking and posting his trash as exhibit A in your comment.
https://www.foxsports.com/college-f...10-years-alabama-ohio-state-notre-dame-051616

According to you RU is going to win the B1G East, Art is a Heisman caliber player, we have a once in a generation WR (who actually padded stats against weak teams), our OL will be improvied because it's mostly seniors, etc. I think I have a little more credibility here.

No one is impressed with your credibility, save for the man in the mirror, and even he has doubts.

I think that Ash will go bowling every year from now on ... with our recruits in NYC!

I really hope you are correct Al but I have severe doubts. When we lost 78-0 and 58-0 in Ash' first year it didn't even seem like it bothered Ash. We really need to show some serious life in every aspect of our football team.

I really hope you are correct Al but I have severe doubts. When we lost 78-0 and 58-0 in Ash' first year it didn't even seem like it bothered Ash. We really need to show some serious life in every aspect of our football team.

We were lifeless because the offense hasn’t shown any life in the three years that Ash has been here. That should change this year with a mostly mature line and better talent overall.

Al should be banned for his incessant shit posting. He's a moron.

They won’t throw RU out because they have to pay back all the buy in money. But I guess if they took a vote and they all wanted to pony up big bucks it could be done.

Why are they complaining? It’s an easy win in a good recruiting area. If I was Iowa or whoever I would be happy Rutgers is on the schedule. Come in kick the shit out of RU and recruit NY and NJ.

Al should be banned for his incessant shit posting. He's a moron.

They won’t throw RU out because they have to pay back all the buy in money. But I guess if they took a vote and they all wanted to pony up big bucks it could be done.

Why are they complaining? It’s an easy win in a good recruiting area. If I was Iowa or whoever I would be happy Rutgers is on the schedule. Come in kick the shit out of RU and recruit NY and NJ.

They can easily pay back the money to RU, if they wanted to do so, so that point is idiotic.

The reason why they wouldn’t kick out RU is because our marginal revenue exceeds our marginal cost. Adding Rutgers and Maryland is the biggest reason Big Ten schools are making $54 Million Dollars.

No one is complaining, save for a few Ignorant morons in the fanbase like you.

Last edited:
They can easily pay back the money to RU, if they wanted to do so, so that point is idiotic.

The reason why they wouldn’t kick out RU is because our marginal revenue exceeds our marginal cost. Adding Rutgers and Maryland is the biggest reason Big Ten schools are making $54 Million Dollars.

I’m sorry but are you really that ignorant as to believe that RU and Md are the biggest reasons why the full Big10 share is $54 million? Smh Al, you are giving RU entirely too much credit, Md’s football program is in complete shambles and Rutgers can’t fill the stadium at this point even if they give away tickets.

Meanwhile you have huge money teams like Ohio state, Michigan, Penn State, etc... but yea it’s rutgers that causes the Big 10 revenue to flourish...smh. Come on Al, please at least be realistic and honest with your assessments. You will never convince me that a school that has to borrow as much as we do just to field a sh*tty team is the biggest reason why the conference makes so much money. I guarantee you tv ratings when OSU, Mich, PSU, etc play are quadruple or more what an RU game draws.

Here’s a question Al, if you had foresight into what we as a program would become since joining the Big 10 would you still want the move or would you prefer a lessor conference with less money but we would have competitive facilities and staff compared to our peers and would have winning records every year. Perhaps even take the Boise st model and become a power in a lessor conference which we very much have the ability to do, just not in our current conference. What would you choose?

Reactions: Debtbubble

I don’t comprehend why so many don’t understand this point.

The only reason Rutgers (or any team) gets invited into a conference is if they increase the overall revenue for each team.

Big Ten didn’t invite Rutgers as a charity case and say “they might cost each team money but come on guys, let’s try to help out Rutgers and save them”.

Big Ten with Rutgers makes more money per team than Big Ten without Rutgers.
Or else we would have never been invited in the first place.

It’s simple math.

I’m sorry but are you really that ignorant as to believe that RU and Md are the biggest reasons why the full Big10 share is $54 million? Smh Al, you are giving RU entirely too much credit, Md’s football program is in complete shambles and Rutgers can’t fill the stadium at this point even if they give away tickets.

Meanwhile you have huge money teams like Ohio state, Michigan, Penn State, etc... but yea it’s rutgers that causes the Big 10 revenue to flourish...smh. Come on Al, please at least be realistic and honest with your assessments. You will never convince me that a school that has to borrow as much as we do just to field a sh*tty team is the biggest reason why the conference makes so much money. I guarantee you tv ratings when OSU, Mich, PSU, etc play are quadruple or more what an RU game draws.

Here’s a question Al, if you had foresight into what we as a program would become since joining the Big 10 would you still want the move or would you prefer a lessor conference with less money but we would have competitive facilities and staff compared to our peers and would have winning records every year. Perhaps even take the Boise st model and become a power in a lessor conference which we very much have the ability to do, just not in our current conference. What would you choose?

The irony is rich that you clearly don’t understand how this works, yet you’re calling me ignorant. The competitiveness of the football programs don’t matter. It’s the size of our markets which matter. Rutgers and Maryland in the Big Ten ensures that millions of cable tv subscribers in the NY and Maryland get the Big Ten Network on basic cable, which provides a consistent additional revenue stream.

I would choose the Big Ten over every other conference option, because any other conference option would not be financially viable over the long term. We were in a lessor conference with less money for many years. It was called the Big East football and basketball conference.

The irony is rich that you clearly don’t understand how this works, yet you’re calling me ignorant. The competitiveness of the football programs don’t matter. It’s the size of our markets which matter. Rutgers and Maryland in the Big Ten ensures that millions of cable tv subscribers in the NY and Maryland get the Big Ten Network on basic cable, which provides a consistent additional revenue stream.

I would choose the Big Ten over every other conference option, because any other conference option would not be financially viable over the long term. We were in a lessor conference with less money for many years. It was called the Big East football and basketball conference.

I live in MD and and we had the Big 10 network before md was admitted. What’s rich is that you believe cable tv is a viable option for our existence in the future. Sure it brings in money today but 10-15 years from now when streaming has taken over majority share it will mean next to nothing.

I genuinely do not understand your thought process of why it is viable for a university to borrow against the future and academic resources just to field a non competitive team that cannot compete within its own conference. Call me stubborn that’s fine but how does this help the long term success of rutgers university? How does it help with enrollment and status to be blown out every week on national television? If you don’t believe that enrollment and athletic success correlate, I don’t know what to tell you.... meanwhile we could have just stayed in our lane, had a good fun football team that although may not be competing on a national stage on a weekly basis could be a true pride of NJ that has its own brand of football and underdog mentality much like the state.

Instead like NJ’s history we have to try to compete with the big boys and get shellacked along the way ultimately hurting ourselves with decreased fan interest and support which ultimately leads to lost revenue. The tv deals will not be as lucrative come the next round of negotiations simply because of lost market share.... meanwhile that is what you are banking on for our long term success, it’s a recipe for disaster my friend.

The Big 10 is not going to bail out rutgers just because we’re struggling. By keeping on borrowing against our future like we have been we are just setting ourselves up to fall further behind our big 10 counterparts....

I genuinely do not see a path to sustained success in this conference unless we receive a major, Manchester city FC type financial takeover and backer which we unfortunately don’t have a Terry Pegula in our back pocket. Yet the only viable financial source is shared revenue that we keep borrowing against that quite honestly will drop in coming years. Soon it’s going to be all the more important for teams to be self funded and sustained. We are not close to that all because we wanted to play in a conference that we all knew deep down was above our heads and we were not equipt to compete in

Last edited:
Reactions: BlockR
I live in MD and and we had the Big 10 network before md was admitted. What’s rich is that you believe cable tv is a viable option for our existence in the future. Sure it brings in money today but 10-15 years from now when streaming has taken over majority share it will mean next to nothing.

I genuinely do not understand your thought process of why it is viable for a university to borrow against the future and academic resources just to field a non competitive team that cannot compete within its own conference. Call me stubborn that’s fine but how does this help the long term success of rutgers university? How does it help with enrollment and status to be blown out every week on national television? If you don’t believe that enrollment and athletic success correlate, I don’t know what to tell you.... meanwhile we could have just stayed in our lane, had a good fun football team that although may not be competing on a national stage on a weekly basis could be a true pride of NJ that has its own brand of football and underdog mentality much like the state.

Instead like NJ’s history we have to try to compete with the big boys and get shellacked along the way ultimately hurting ourselves with decreased fan interest and support which ultimately leads to lost revenue. The tv deals will not be as lucrative come the next round of negotiations simply because of lost market share.... meanwhile that is what you are banking on for our long term success, it’s a recipe for disaster my friend.

The Big 10 is not going to bail out rutgers just because we’re struggling. By keeping on borrowing against our future like we have been we are just setting ourselves up to fall further behind our big 10 counterparts....

I genuinely do not see a path to sustained success in this conference unless we receive a major, Manchester city FC type financial takeover and backer which we unfortunately don’t have a Terry Pegula in our back pocket. Yet the only viable financial source is shared revenue that we keep borrowing against that quite honestly will drop in coming years. Soon it’s going to be all the more important for teams to be self funded and sustained. We are not close to that all because we wanted to play in a conference that we all knew deep down was above our heads and we were not equipt to compete in

The Big Ten took home $25 Million per team in 2013. The Big Ten took in $51 Million per team excluding Rutgers and Maryland in 2018, much of that due to the incremental revenue that was realized due to Rutgers and Maryland’s addition.

Whether by cable or by streaming the BTN will continue to rake in money as it is a strong product.

I don’t like the fact that we are borrowing money. But it is a path the administration has chosen to take. I don’t think we’ll ever be self funded or self sustaining, but it’s something I dream of.

Reactions: sct1111

We may suck for a while if not forever in the Big Ten. But that doesn't matter. We're not going anywhere.

Even in our current state, there's no reason to not be on average as good as the 2015 team and reach a bowl game annually. Never did I think we'd be getting blown out by the likes of Indiana and Illinois and fukin Kansas. 6 wins should be an expectation and I think with our moderate level of success we had before entering the Big Ten, that was my expectation.

We paid Schiano in the past. We can pay for a good coach in the future. The question is will those at the top allow it. Hopefully they learn a lesson from the current mess.

Reactions: Debtbubble

I disagree with virtually everything Al says on this thread, but here he's 100 % dead on. It's all about eyes on screens, dead stop.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT