ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 Tourney 2nd round game thread: RU-Northwestern

We didn't get anything from the big men today. Offensive rebounds were a huge part of our offense

Pretty much everyone sucked in this game. Thiam made a few shots and Nigel got some threes in 2nd half. Rest of team: Sucked.

G-Ru , Williams took one shot tonight. Johnson was good tonight. One shot he wasn't 1-9 tonight, you love to kill the kid. And just read one of our guards hurt his arm last night.

Last edited:
Batie with a three. Good for him. Would've been nice if announcers mentioned it. Had to check Gametracker to confirm.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
We never seem to have a bunch of guys play well on the same night it's always a couple but too many players disappear too often. Another year experience should really help with that next year. I cannot freaking wait

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
G-Ru, most of the team did not show up. Still was a good year, need some shooters and get some kids in the weight room.

I was actually thinking the same thing when he missed the three, as well as watching him try to focus when he's at the line. But my next thought is always, he has access to free eyesore, including contacts, so he'd probably avail himself of that rather than miss shots.
maybe if he stood square to the foul line and not tilted on some angle...he might "see" better

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Tireg-legs-quote-run-quotes.jpg
or find something that looks like that to chase..

maybe if he stood square to the foul line and not tilted on some angle...he might "see" better
That would be a good start to correct his form, but his angle isn't hurting his vision. And his vision might just be fine, but vision goes slowly so it may not be obvious to a player that his problem isn't merely fixable with practice.

In any case, we should have Corey back next year, and that makes me happy. he has had a year under Pike's system, as have some of the other guys, so next year we might start conference play more fluidly.

That would be a good start to correct his form, but his angle isn't hurting his vision. And his vision might just be fine, but vision goes slowly so it may not be obvious to a player that his problem isn't merely fixable with practice.

In any case, we should have Corey back next year, and that makes me happy. he has had a year under Pike's system, as have some of the other guys, so next year we might start conference play more fluidly.

I like Corey in general. And the problem is in his head..but its not his eyes.

Reactions: RU'70
Roc, that's a good idea! Is there an eye doctor in the house?
Good idea. Tape some small number 3's on the rim that should be visible from 20' and ask the 3 pts guys if they can see them. If no, get glasses.
If yes, well than its us, just like we knew all along.
Honestly, have you ever seen so many air balls by major college BB players ? I think we had about a 5 footer from one side of the basket that went over the basket and hit nothing but a Northwestern guy on the other side. He couldn't even rebound it.
Certainly wasn't the reason we lost, but didn't help our cause.

Corey's stats weren't too bad - 14 pts, 3 Assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks.. but yeah he wasn't good.. but pretty much everyone was bad except for Nigel

Williams has to be more assertive, he can't just take one shot

CS should spend the entire off-season working on FTs. He should have done that last off-season too.

MW was invisible, both on O and D. Ran out of gas, I guess. Can't blame him.

Jerry Recco on postgame said Corey played well tonight?

overall the stats would say he played okay but dig deeper to the first half when the game counted, the second half the game was over. It was the key stretch where more than a few of RU players just came up empty and not just for a little bit...it was a 31-0 run cannot put lipstick on that pig

overall the stats would say he played okay but dig deeper to the first half when the game counted, the second half the game was over. It was the key stretch where more than a few of RU players just came up empty and not just for a little bit...it was a 31-0 run cannot put lipstick on that pig
So you are back on the ledge?

In retrospect, it was fun while it lasted and shows some of our capabilities. Just need some better all around players and scorers.
I hope next year we'll run an offense where our guys can look toward the basket while handling the ball on the perimeter. Too much back to the basket with no chance of making a play at 20' out.

Reactions: RU'70
We never seem to have a bunch of guys play well on the same night it's always a couple but too many players disappear too often. Another year experience should really help with that next year. I cannot freaking wait
I'm gonna go ahead and say that getting more guys who play well will be what helps with that, not so much just having the same guys for another year.

Reactions: RUChoppin
The 31-0 run was the biggest run in Big Ten history.

Hang in there. Pikiell is an excellent coach and you'll be heading to the Tourney soon. Much sooner than our wait to get there.

Reactions: RUonBrain
There is a reason Williams took one shot, but I can't say I read it somewhere else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT