ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 Wrestling Tournament Thread, 10am/SUNDAY Noon , BTN + :

Unfortunately RUforlife makes a lot of sense and is probably right.

As wrestling is one of our more successful teams, I don’t expect to see a change at the top. So let’s get behind the program. It is frustrating. But if we love wrestling and Rutgers, is also our only option.
As Cleveland is close for me, I expect to be there cheering loudly for every Rutgers wrestler.

Rondi. While it is not a rule to donate to express an opinion, I have donated more than I can really afford to the new facility.

I am taking a look at the At-Large bids for weights we are hopeful to get our guys in to the NCAA tournament. All my information is courtesy of BRITT MALINSKY, AKA Seton Hall Pirate.

184 - Nicholas Gravina

THE GOOD: There are 4 AT-Large bids available at the weight
THE GOOD: There are four guys that brought bids into the conference that didn't qualify. Gravina (RUT), Nick Corba (Clev St.), Jordan Ellingwood (Central Mich), Canten Marriott (Missouri).

Nick will be wrestling at the NCAA Tournament

141 - Mike Van Brill

THE GOOD: There are 6 At-Large bids available at the weight
THE BAD: There are 6 guys that brought bids into their conference but did not qualify. They are AC Headlee (NC), Cole Weaver (IND), Tommy Thorn (MIN), Tyson Dippery (RID), Alex Madrigall (Old Dom), and Russell Rohlfing (CSU Baker).
THE GOOD: Van Brill has a head to head win against Headlee (DUALS DO MATTER).

I think he gets in but interesting if he doesn't one of the guys that will is Dippery.

174 - Joe Grello

THE GOOD: There are 5 At-Large bids available at the weight
THE GOOD: There were only 2 guys that brought bids into the conference tournament that didn't get the bid. Devin Skazka (Ind), Ty Schoffstall (Edinboro)
THE UNKNOWN: I just don't know if Grello has done enough to get in but if I had to guess I would say he does get in. He has a head to head loss to Schoffstall this year 8-6, and doesn't have a win against any of the automatic qualifiers.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Cant agree about Goodale... Hes done a great job taking a nothing program and making it meaningful. Just dont think hes the guy to recruit against the Brands, Cael, Ryans etc.

Glory, Kinner, Griffith, Janzer & OMalley are the top 5 NJ recruits (not even figuring any Blair kids) 3 of them are either #1 or #2 in the country. Rutgers isnt getting any of them except Janzer. I think Fernandez may be included as well

If Rutgers cant keep the best of NJ and we know they arent getting the beat outside NJ... how does the program move into top 5-10 status?

Reactions: 78CollegeAve
I am taking a look at the At-Large bids for weights we are hopeful to get our guys in to the NCAA tournament. All my information is courtesy of BRITT MALINSKY, AKA Seton Hall Pirate.

184 - Nicholas Gravina

THE GOOD: There are 4 AT-Large bids available at the weight
THE GOOD: There are four guys that brought bids into the conference that didn't qualify. Gravina (RUT), Nick Corba (Clev St.), Jordan Ellingwood (Central Mich), Canten Marriott (Missouri).

Nick will be wrestling at the NCAA Tournament

141 - Mike Van Brill

THE GOOD: There are 6 At-Large bids available at the weight
THE BAD: There are 6 guys that brought bids into their conference but did not qualify. They are AC Headlee (NC), Cole Weaver (IND), Tommy Thorn (MIN), Tyson Dippery (RID), Alex Madrigall (Old Dom), and Russell Rohlfing (CSU Baker).
THE GOOD: Van Brill has a head to head win against Headlee (DUALS DO MATTER).

I think he gets in but interesting if he doesn't one of the guys that will is Dippery.

174 - Joe Grello

THE GOOD: There are 5 At-Large bids available at the weight
THE GOOD: There were only 2 guys that brought bids into the conference tournament that didn't get the bid. Devin Skazka (Ind), Ty Schoffstall (Edinboro)
THE UNKNOWN: I just don't know if Grello has done enough to get in but if I had to guess I would say he does get in. He has a head to head loss to Schoffstall this year 8-6, and doesn't have a win against any of the automatic qualifiers.

Agree on Gravina a near certain pick . Also think Grello has a good chance, 75% chance, less certain about MVB, put his chances around 33%.

When are At Larges announced?

Cant agree about Goodale... Hes done a great job taking a nothing program and making it meaningful. Just dont think hes the guy to recruit against the Brands, Cael, Ryans etc.

Glory, Kinner, Griffith, Janzer & OMalley are the top 5 NJ recruits (not even figuring any Blair kids) 3 of them are either #1 or #2 in the country. Rutgers isnt getting any of them except Janzer. I think Fernandez may be included as well

If Rutgers cant keep the best of NJ and we know they arent getting the beat outside NJ... how does the program move into top 5-10 status?

And we should also have the guy coming in that beat Griffith, who beat O'Malley.

Glory isn't going to a known wrestling power persay ... he's going to Princeton. Same with Griffith, going to Stanford. Of course we'd love to have both of them, but we missed out for various reasons. Kinner was going to NC State since his brother was going there, then switched to Ohio State as his brother quit wrestling and Quinn's stock rose.

Yes, coach needs to do a better job recruiting, but being as though recruiting is done way ahead of time, I think the last few classes were pretty good (nobody thought Robinson would struggle as much this year), Janzer was much needed. Aguilar started getting much better though and can make a difference. Benner and Lightner would win states, but were seen as better depth at the time. The question is ... is pretty good, good enough? Do we need to bring 3+ dominant kids in per year? What's the standard for good recruiting?

What kills us is that the top 2017 class hasn't turned out to be world beaters yet and I think we expected a lot out of them. Correntti made NCAAs, but was redshirting and is now stuck in between weights. Grello and MVB are on the verge of NCAAs. Paetzell left for Lehigh and Mackall for Iowa St. when Suriano came in. Glasgow isn't here ... yet ... and was the jewel (other than of course Suriano, duh). Mulligan had second thoughts about wrestling after injuries. Donner is low level depth. I don't even know if Finnerty ever made it here or even who he is.

And we should also have the guy coming in that beat Griffith, who beat O'Malley.

Glory isn't going to a known wrestling power persay ... he's going to Princeton. Same with Griffith, going to Stanford. Of course we'd love to have both of them, but we missed out for various reasons. Kinner was going to NC State since his brother was going there, then switched to Ohio State as his brother quit wrestling and Quinn's stock rose.

Yes, coach needs to do a better job recruiting, but being as though recruiting is done way ahead of time, I think the last few classes were pretty good (nobody thought Robinson would struggle as much this year), Janzer was much needed. Aguilar started getting much better though and can make a difference. Benner and Lightner would win states, but were seen as better depth at the time. The question is ... is pretty good, good enough? Do we need to bring 3+ dominant kids in per year? What's the standard for good recruiting?

What kills us is that the top 2017 class hasn't turned out to be world beaters yet and I think we expected a lot out of them. Correntti made NCAAs, but was redshirting and is now stuck in between weights. Grello and MVB are on the verge of NCAAs. Paetzell left for Lehigh and Mackall for Iowa St. when Suriano came in. Glasgow isn't here ... yet ... and was the jewel (other than of course Suriano, duh). Mulligan had second thoughts about wrestling after injuries. Donner is low level depth. I don't even know if Finnerty ever made it here or even who he is.

Its important to remember, its hard to judge how a great HS wrestler will do at the D1 level... Aside from the exceptions of the Surianos, Lee's, Hall's etc theres no easy formula.

So when theres local top recruits, Rutgers has to get a good chunk of them. Why? Because Rutgers just cant compete out of state, not against big time wrestling programs with legendary coaches.

So worse case, its in state talent where Rutgers has some leverage.

Fyi, according to the last time I checked intermat rankings, couple weeks ago, NJ had far more top 20 and top 5 ranked HS wrestlers than Pa

Agree on Gravina a near certain pick . Also think Grello has a good chance, 75% chance, less certain about MVB, put his chances around 33%.

When are At Larges announced?
The more I think about it you may be right about MVB having a harder time getting in. The Profaci loss might have knocked him out. We shall see, not sure when they will be announced.

I know we're without Ash and lost a lot of points with Suriano having to be pulled for the last 2 matches but we REALLY need to learn how to wrestling better in tournaments, no? Am I mistaken? Hopefully Goody uses this to propel us to a better showing at nationals??!!! :pray:
Without Suriano id a huge deal. We would've finished 6th or 7th at Midlands without his points.

I used to come on these forums and tell people that Goodale was not going to get us to the next level back 8 or 9 years ago, only to be shut up and ridiculed by individuals who have probably never wrestled even in HS. I stand by my position, then and now. I would have thanked Scott for his service and then paid whatever it took to lure Pat Santoro from Lehigh. Santoro would have had this program competing for individual and team national championships. Now he is locked up at Lehigh for the long term, so that door is closed. Doesn't change the fact that Goodale is not the man to lead this program if we are truly committed to competing against the best.

That is a total insult to all of the Rutgers wrestlers who came prior to Goodale. It's a process, okay, that might have worked for years 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, but at what point does the process have to produce results, years 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12? A process cannot last indefinitely, we are dealing with a coach who has been at it for a dozen years and has not produced one NCAA finalist and only one semifinalist. Talk about a joke. Now, we might have a finalist this year, a transfer from Penn State who never would have been in our program if he had not been injured last year. Any way you cut it, we are talking about mediocrity at best, period. Again, if we weren't so inept in most of our other athletic programs, Goodale would be under a lot more pressure.
RUforlife you are a troll and as clueless as matter. Santoro? LMAO. With what money??? Do you not know how much money Lehigh has for wrestling and it's club? We would've had to pay for him, Buxton (Who also couldn't afford) and more club wrestlers. Let me educate you about our program's history. What Goodale & the staff have done to get us to be competitive in the B1G, produce some AAs & finish where we have in the NCAA tourney, dual rankings and Midlands 2017 (even watered down) has been a miracle with our financial constraints, as we haven't been working with full scholarship money, have a poor practice facility & a limited club, which is underfunded. We aren't swimming in money like PSU, Iowa, tOSU and many others. We just recently fully funded 9.9 scholarships at out-of-state tuition levels within the past year or 2 & only fully funded the full 9.9 scholarships at in-state tuition levels at some point in the last 4-6 years. Prior to Goodale's arrival in 2007, we almost cut the sport & were offering 2.9 to 4.4 of the 9.9 scholarships available & only at in-state tuition levels at that. The only other program that's done more than us with less has been Edinboro.

Without Suriano id a huge deal. We would've finished 6th or 7th at Midlands without his points.

RUforlife you are a troll and as clueless as matter. Santoro? LMAO. With what money??? Do you not know how much money Lehigh has for wrestling and it's club? We would've had to pay for him, Buxton (Who also couldn't afford) and more club wrestlers. Let me educate you about our program's history. What Goodale & the staff have done to get us to be competitive in the B1G, produce some AAs & finish where we have in the NCAA tourney, dual rankings and Midlands 2017 (even watered down) has been a miracle with our financial constraints, as we haven't been working with full scholarship money, have a poor practice facility & a limited club, which is underfunded. We aren't swimming in money like PSU, Iowa, tOSU and many others. We just recently fully funded 9.9 scholarships at out-of-state tuition levels within the past year or 2 & only fully funded the full 9.9 scholarships at in-state tuition levels at some point in the last 4-6 years. Prior to Goodale's arrival in 2007, we almost cut the sport & were offering 2.9 to 4.4 of the 9.9 scholarships available & only at in-state tuition levels at that. The only other program that's done more than us with less has been Edinboro.
Total BS. We just didn't fund 9.9 scholarships, be honest, 6 years ago the kids were on scholarships and before that there was funding. Again, 12 years later, it doesn't take that long in wrestling to build a program. You have no clue as to what it take to build a wrestling program. It is coach driven, the kids will come and actually pay to come for the right coach. You have been a Goodale lackey from day one. Another, 10 years and you will still be throwing up the nonsense about the program prior to his arrival. I put up with that crap for the first 5 years, 10 years, but now we are working on a dozen years, that is right 12 years, and we have been fully funded for years. Talk about trolling, only a troll would destine the program to endless mediocrity. Again, not 1 of his recruits in his 12 years has even made it to an NCAA final, that has nothing do to with funding and everything to do with recruiting and coaching, not even debatable.

I know I have to stop reading these posts, they are so ignorant as to collegiate wrestling, ugh.

Total BS. We just didn't fund 9.9 scholarships, be honest, 6 years ago the kids were on scholarships and before that there was funding. Again, 12 years later, it doesn't take that long in wrestling to build a program. You have no clue as to what it take to build a wrestling program. It is coach driven, the kids will come and actually pay to come for the right coach. You have been a Goodale lackey from day one. Another, 10 years and you will still be throwing up the nonsense about the program prior to his arrival. I put up with that crap for the first 5 years, 10 years, but now we are working on a dozen years, that is right 12 years, and we have been fully funded for years. Talk about trolling, only a troll would destine the program to endless mediocrity. Again, not 1 of his recruits in his 12 years has even made it to an NCAA final, that has nothing do to with funding and everything to do with recruiting and coaching, not even debatable.

I know I have to stop reading these posts, they are so ignorant as to collegiate wrestling, ugh.

We have caught up in scholarship numbers. We haven't caught up in facilities or history.

We need to have realistic expectations.

There are always going to be guys for whom academics come first. Even if they are from NJ, we will always lose them to Princeton, Cornell, Michigan, and Stanford. That’s not coaching. It’s the reality on the ground.

We don’t have the star coach. But let’s be honest. There are exactly 4 star coaches. Carl, brands, JOhn smith, Tom Ryan. The first three have some serious world level hardware to throw around, and Tom Ryan has the financial backing of the OSU machine. As far as the next tier of coaches go, I am not sure there is a replacement. If Jordan Burroughs goes into coaching and decides to come home do we give Goodale a going away party? Yeah. Until then who is the upgrade??

We consistently recruit guys who are top ten in their weight. Success is measured in top 8 finishes. As a measure we should be having one AA out of each of them and a blood round finish. I don’t see us being too far off from what can be called success.

Are there fundamental flaws that run through the team? Yes. I posted earlier that our whole team looks like it skips leg day. I stand by that. I think that contributes to some poor bottom wrestling. I don’t think we push the pace enough.

We need more senior level guys around the team which means $. That’s it. Goodale has done a great job on that front. If we can get a pritzlaff type coach for the “upper” weights (again, money) and one or two guys to help train guys for the Olympics (again money), there is no reason we can’t be a consistent top 10 team with years flirting with a trophy.

Exactly, Phila....funding was one of MANY listed obstacles to overcome over the years. NJ is also a tough area to recruit against the Blue Bloods, needless to say, Tides are turning though. Donny on board has been a catalyst. Suriano & Ash and all the grapplers, past, present & future, are building a strong foundation and will continue to take it to another level. People are starting to financially support the program and SKWC (which is NOT part of RU but much needed for wrestling to excel). We don’t need a Sugar Daddy (although it would be nice). We just need people to give what they can to SKWC to help build the program we all love, such as becoming a member, being part of the pin pool and/or golf outing fundraiser. I just wish everyone had the attitude...”what can we do to HELP move it forward, faster”.

We can all agree that we LOVE this program and are hungry for more success until RU is a perennial top 3. Meanwhile, I’ll support them and enjoy the ride, with its ups and downs.

Anyway, Gravina looked disappointed then he came out for 9th and pinned the kid. That’s the aggression I love to see from him. He knew he was better than 9th. He’s a warrior with that shoulder though. Ritchie did great against #2, wrestled him smart. DeLuca is a 1st time AQ while here at RU for his final year. Can we do better, oh hell yeah! In fact, I bet they are all disappointed as they should be...it should never be enough and always wanting more until you stand alone on top podium. IMart said “this BIG champ means nothing...NCAA #1 is my goal”.

Go RU!
Diane

People are starting to financially support the program and SKWC (which is NOT part of RU but much needed for wrestling to excel). We don’t need a Sugar Daddy (although it would be nice). We just need people to give what they can to SKWC to help build the program we all love, such as becoming a member, being part of the pin pool and/or golf outing fundraiser. I just wish everyone had the attitude...”what can we do to HELP move it forward, faster”.

We could use those Princeton sugar daddies to make the bigger OTC a bigger reality.

Schollies have been fully funded for 6 years? Wow. You're more clueless than I thought. Sorry if facts and the truth hurt your smear job. In 11 seasons at Hofstra, Tom Ryan had 11 AAs and never had a finalist (3 of those AAs came in yr 11). In 10 seasons here, Goodale has 6 AAs.

Reactions: rondi and TRU2RU
We need to have realistic expectations.

There are always going to be guys for whom academics come first. Even if they are from NJ, we will always lose them to Princeton, Cornell, Michigan, and Stanford. That’s not coaching. It’s the reality on the ground.

We don’t have the star coach. But let’s be honest. There are exactly 4 star coaches. Carl, brands, JOhn smith, Tom Ryan. The first three have some serious world level hardware to throw around, and Tom Ryan has the financial backing of the OSU machine. As far as the next tier of coaches go, I am not sure there is a replacement. If Jordan Burroughs goes into coaching and decides to come home do we give Goodale a going away party? Yeah. Until then who is the upgrade??

We consistently recruit guys who are top ten in their weight. Success is measured in top 8 finishes. As a measure we should be having one AA out of each of them and a blood round finish. I don’t see us being too far off from what can be called success.

Are there fundamental flaws that run through the team? Yes. I posted earlier that our whole team looks like it skips leg day. I stand by that. I think that contributes to some poor bottom wrestling. I don’t think we push the pace enough.

We need more senior level guys around the team which means $. That’s it. Goodale has done a great job on that front. If we can get a pritzlaff type coach for the “upper” weights (again, money) and one or two guys to help train guys for the Olympics (again money), there is no reason we can’t be a consistent top 10 team with years flirting with a trophy.

I like these points towards JohnnyHandsome as most of us were student athletes and the Ivy's/Higher Ed academic institutions will also get the blue chippers in a recruiting game over a state school. That's the way chips fall and we need to just ensure we mine out the under the radar guys along with the Glasgows (Hopefully admitted), Janzers etc. We were never really going to get Glory but having a seat at the table to eventually stealing these recruits is the goal. Until it becomes common place that we are in the running we have to do more with less. There may be a day when we say Goodale has had enough time to push the program even further but hasn't and we aren't there yet. Asking a coach to take the pay cut compared to other programs with limited operating funds and resources and produce National Champions is crazy. I hope I won't continue for years to say we are close but we are close.

Diane
You are fighting an uphill battle regarding defending our program. We know where it stands and what we need to get there. We are organized and focused on achieving those objectives. Replying to all of those unhappy or disappointed is not worth the typing. See you on the 8th.

In wrestling at the collegiate level you don't need 12 years to build a program.

so in 12 years, every program should be in the top 10! all 76 teams!

the desire to get a big name coach and take the program to the next level is understandable but moot. no big name coach is going to leave a program with a big, fully funded RTC to come to Rutgers. And no coach like Bono or Flynn or coaches who have done more with less are going to come to Rutgers until they have one as well.

so instead of focusing on the coaches you'd be better off getting a top tier RTC, which requires millions of dollars of annual funding. just imho!

Reactions: rondi and plcoolg
I think I there is merit to both points of view regarding the state of program. With the new facility under construction I would hope recruiting gets better as the Barn basement issue goes away. Also 12 years is a long time to continue bringing up the state of the program before he got here. Wasn't the program decent from a W/L dual record point of view under Sacchi the old MCC coach? I realize the competition was different but I thought he was a decent coach given the lack of support.

The program has made great strides but those were the relatively easy steps with incremental improvement much more difficult to obtain. Not sure Top 20 or 25 means as much in wrestling as other sports given the more limited number of schools participating. While I don't expect us to be at the level of PSU, Iowa and OSU, I am not sure we are keeping pace or improved versus the next tier which would include the likes of Michigan, Minnesota and Nebraska. It took SG awhile to get some AA's and he needs to continue getting at least a couple each year. While it was great that Suriano transferred here, he creates additional pressure for the staff. If for any reason he does not live up to expectations at the NCAA championships, that will rekindle some questions about SG's ability to develop top flight talent which would add to the recruiting burden. Since it seem to be a litmus test for posting by some, I guess I should disclose that while I attend some matches I do not contribute to the SKWC.

I think I there is merit to both points of view regarding the state of program. With the new facility under construction I would hope recruiting gets better as the Barn basement issue goes away. Also 12 years is a long time to continue bringing up the state of the program before he got here. Wasn't the program decent from a W/L dual record point of view under Sacchi the old MCC coach? I realize the competition was different but I thought he was a decent coach given the lack of support.

We were moments away from having the program cut. From a recruits eyes back then this is too volatile and SG took the program and essentially brought it from ashes to prominence. People will ask what is your definition of prominence and to this point we are in the discussions regarding a Blue Chip Northeast recruits options, top 6 in attendance, funding improving every year, backing of legit AD that supports the program and money in the BIG pipeline in a couple of years. Again if there is the same conversations in 5 years it's possible there is more validity to some arguments for change. Also the Big10 is a big difference from an EIWA standpoint to look at a W/L comparison (already noted).

We were moments away from having the program cut. From a recruits eyes back then this is too volatile and SG took the program and essentially brought it from ashes to prominence. People will ask what is your definition of prominence and to this point we are in the discussions regarding a Blue Chip Northeast recruits options, top 6 in attendance, funding improving every year, backing of legit AD that supports the program and money in the BIG pipeline in a couple of years. Again if there is the same conversations in 5 years it's possible there is more validity to some arguments for change. Also the Big10 is a big difference from an EIWA standpoint to look at a W/L comparison (already noted).

To be clear, I am not advocating for a change. The achievements certainly outweigh the questions about an ability to take this program further. Give the guy a decent facility and see what he can do recruiting wise. Not sure I know the pay scale for wrestling coaches but if he is only making 150K and that is what we can pay then we aren't going to do better. Hobbs certainly has more pressing issues to address than this.

To be clear, I am not advocating for a change. The achievements certainly outweigh the questions about an ability to take this program further. Give the guy a decent facility and see what he can do recruiting wise. Not sure I know the pay scale for wrestling coaches but if he is only making 150K and that is what we can pay then we aren't going to do better. Hobbs certainly has more pressing issues to address than this.

Agreed and just answering your question mainly around Sacchi. I hope some of Hobbs focus is on Men's Soccer next.

Time to take the trash out.
Yes it is ..do we really need PSU trolls here ...they don’t stand for RU on their board ..trust me I know ..all I did was defend JVB from the vicious attacks he was getting over there and got booted for it ...wish Mods here would do same to the PSU guys who come here to stir the pot ...we ain’t Penn State ...who doesn’t know that ...so what ..

Reactions: rondi
Its important to remember, its hard to judge how a great HS wrestler will do at the D1 level... Aside from the exceptions of the Surianos, Lee's, Hall's etc theres no easy formula.

So when theres local top recruits, Rutgers has to get a good chunk of them. Why? Because Rutgers just cant compete out of state, not against big time wrestling programs with legendary coaches.

So worse case, its in state talent where Rutgers has some leverage.

Fyi, according to the last time I checked intermat rankings, couple weeks ago, NJ had far more top 20 and top 5 ranked HS wrestlers than Pa
It's been fairly straight forward and consistent throughout history when predicting how a great hs wrestler does as d1.....the higher ranked p4p hs wrestler u are from ur recruiting class the better odds u have at succeeding at d1 .... of course there's always outliers of top tier wrestler not panning out just as there's the wrestler that became great out of no where... so then it becomes a numbers game .. recruit the best talent... recruiting game is number 1 importance imo and penn state has that in spades rn.

It was great watching Moore best Rasheed. Nice choice Carl having him wrestle instead of Cassar who beat Moore in dual meet. Poetic justice.
Have to disagree with you here. If the criteria is winner of the wrestle off gets the spot then have to stick to your word. Otherwise all credibility is lost. I feel terrible for Cassar but understand the decision. Man, Rasheed looked undersized against Moore.
Thank you!

You don't put someone in the post-season in order to beat one particular guy. You put them in to help you win the NCAA championship, which is the ultimate goal. If you look at Shak and Cassar's entire body of work, Shak has a pretty distinct edge this year, no matter how Shak wrestled in the B1G tournament and no matter that Cassar beat Moore in the dual.

Shak was 21-3, with 75% bonus, and Cassar was 15-2 with 29% bonus. They were both 2-2 against common opponents, but besides Moore, the other three results were better for Shak:

Vs. : Shak; Cassar
Boykin: Fall; SV 9-7
Hoelshlag: Fall: L SV 4-6
Conel: L 3-2; L 6-13

Then, figure in whatever was going on in the room, which the last result we heard was 7-3 for Shak, and the answer is pretty obvious.
If not for that 197 upset you lose to OSU ...you lost the Big10 to OSU ...yet you continue to brag ...obviously OSU has your number ..why not go on their board and sell your crap ..we don’t care here

Reactions: CerealNTacos
Schollies have been fully funded for 6 years? Wow. You're more clueless than I thought. Sorry if facts and the truth hurt your smear job. In 11 seasons at Hofstra, Tom Ryan had 11 AAs and never had a finalist (3 of those AAs came in yr 11). In 10 seasons here, Goodale has 6 AAs.

Tom Ryan and his stint at Hofstra is an excellent comparison for this argument.

Anthony Ashnault 3x All American
Ken Theobold,’from lightly recruited to All American.
Anthony Perotti, developed into an All American
2 All Americans in 1 year. Twice . After decades of zilch.
Good chance of 2 more All Americans this year even w Ashnault out.
Top 6 in attendance from a program that drew a dozen or so.
Enough confidence to bring in one of the top assistants in the country.
Clean program. Fans and alums respect Goodale.

All for the ridiculous low salary of approx 150k

RU has a bargain.

I guess that is mediocre to some.

Tom Ryan and his stint at Hofstra is an excellent comparison for this argument.

Didn't we just hammer the hell out of Hofstra? Goodale and RU are on the rise!

I think you mean Buffalo? Because Hofstra hasn't had a wrestling team in quite a while now. Another casualty thanks to Title lX.
Hofstra still has a team and has even recruited a few decent wrestlers out of the Garden State i.e. Burkert twins.

Reactions: koleszar
Whoops my bad.:flushed: Have no idea why I thought we wrestled Buffalo and I was at the match.
It's been a long season! Crazy to think some schools cut wrestling and universities like Fresno State has a team again. Remember when LSU and Clemson had good ol' wrasslin??

If not for that 197 upset you lose to OSU ...you lost the Big10 to OSU ...yet you continue to brag ...obviously OSU has your number ..why not go on their board and sell your crap ..we don’t care here
Without Nolf in the dual. What's your point about that, anyway? Because Cassar won that match in the dual, he should be the post-season starter? That's you ONE data point? You realize, even if Cassar beat Moore yesterday, we still would have lost? The only way we win is if Nolf wrestles the whole tournament and Cassar beats Moore. And, explain how OSU has our number, if we beat them in the dual.

Wasn't the program decent from a W/L dual record point of view under Sacchi the old MCC coach? I realize the competition was different but I thought he was a decent coach given the lack of support.

the competition wasn't just different, it was night and day. the program used be at the bottom of the EIWA. now it is in the middle of the Big Ten. the difference is staggering. you need to do more research on the subject.

if you want to know how hard it is to take a program into the top 10, look at what Pitt just went through in their last coaching search less than a year ago. They are in one of the biggest wrestling hot beds, they have recent national champs, and a long and storied history of top tier collegiate wrestling, and they got turned down by Flynn, Bono and Santoro.

Pitt hired Keith Gavin, who is awesome and I hope he succeeds, but Iowa State, with all their resources and history, still had to pay Kevin Dresser over a million dollars to leave Virginia Tech.

for more perspective, Rutgers is on the cusp of literally having it's best finish at the NCAAs in program history. but if that doesn't happen, there's no reason to wallow in the negatives. there's unarguably never been a better time to follow Rutgers wrestling, so enjoy it!

Without Nolf in the dual. What's your point about that, anyway? Because Cassar won that match in the dual, he should be the post-season starter? That's you ONE data point? You realize, even if Cassar beat Moore yesterday, we still would have lost? The only way we win is if Nolf wrestles the whole tournament and Cassar beats Moore. And, explain how OSU has our number, if we beat them in the dual.
My point is you tout PSU as God when they got lucky with an upset at 197 and got smoked in the tourney ..they have your number this year ..

My point is you tout PSU as God when they got lucky with an upset at 197 and got smoked in the tourney ..they have your number this year ..

Eh. Too many forfeit outs for this score to be considered a fair barometer. Suriano MAY have swung a few points away from tOSU. Nolf didn’t wrestle.

PSU is sending five guys to the semi finals in Cleveland. (assuming healthy Nolf). OSU is probably sending their whole team to at least the blood round. We’ll find out whose math works out better but the depth for tOSU plays well for tournaments and exceptional if one or two guys beat their seeds. The PSU machine from Zain to Bo is probably enough for a trophy by themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT