ADVERTISEMENT

Brett McMurphy reports that FSU and group of 7 ACC Schools are exploring breaking the grant of rights agreement they have with the ACC

That was the last time we were good. The point is that there’s proof that NJ/NY will support a good RU team. There’s no question we’re the local flagship. NW is not.

Things felt pretty hopeless for our basketball future before Pike arrived. Things change.
Yes. Very much so. I thought it was close to impossible.

How the heck does FB get turned around. It doesn’t happen without major $.

That’s what turns me off about college sports right now. It comes down to what fanbases are willing to pay. Feels like rooting for someone’s fantasy sports team.

On point!

I do recall several B1G schools saying Rutgers wasn't worthy of the money they could earn in the B1G. That tune changed when the new media deal twas announced. All those comma and zeros quiet down the peanut gallery.

There is a reason expansion decisions are made by business professionals and not "fans".

Fans (including all of us) are dumb.

If Rutgers wasn't "worthy of the money" then the smartest conference in the country wouldn't have invited us.
So tired of this "Rutgers was invited as some sort of charity" narrative people.
There was minimal risk in inviting Rutgers.

Otherwise we wouldn't have been invited.

Yes. Very much so. I thought it was close to impossible.

How the heck does FB get turned around. It doesn’t happen without major $.

That’s what turns me off about college sports right now. It comes down to what fanbases are willing to pay. Feels like rooting for someone’s fantasy sports team.

It’ll require some luck but it’s not impossible. The defense will be good enough. It might already be there if the offense could keep it off the field. We need to hit on a few recruits that come in and outperform at the skill positions. Land a Caroo and a Ray Rice while finding a servicable QB. It doesn’t start with a 10 win season. What happens first is the 7-5 type year. We’re not going to pay players based on unproven potential. Don’t have the funding for that. But I think we’re well positioned to pay to retain guys who proved themselves after choosing Rutgers. That’s how we build our program. Teams like Miami may be handing out money like water, but they will also be dropping kids that don’t perform just as quickly.

Reactions: KevH
I just posted this on the football board, but it appears, according to this tweet, that Louisville has joined the fray and the ACC now has eight schools United in leaving

Temple was a special situation and likely the only one to experience this event while a member of a high major/power conference. I don't see NW getting kicked out, especially as one of the original members.
Also, Northwestern is investing aggressively in facilities upgrades and they are in the third largest media market. The Big Ten also values academics, and it would like a hypocrite if it kicked out Northwestern. It would also be a sad day for college football if that was alllowed to happen.

Scarlet Jerry

It is a lot easier for someone to invest in the basketball program where there is success. It will be very difficult for people to take a blind leap of faith to throw a lot of money at a football program that just doesn’t seem headed in the right direction.

That's a coaching discussion, not a conference value discussion.

We had Brian Kelly for well over a decade at Notre Dame and he bolted for LSU for more money and better options in recruiting. The new ND coach is not guaranteed to keep ND in the Top 10 range and if ND falls back to a 8-4 program, will fans blindly watch them playing Wake Forest??

OR

Will they be better off hosting Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, USC, UCLA, Penn State and Nebraska etc for recruiting purposes??

At some point, ND drives ratings, but I'd rather wager that they fall further behind the top schools in the B1G (USC, OSU, Michigan) and SEC (UGA, Bama, LSU).....

In terms of RU, the Schiano factor and putting a quality, respectable product is step 1. If and when that happens, things change and image opens up like hoops has been able to do.

The upside is still very much an unknown for RU, we have yet to see a classic or normal scenario where both basketball and football are successful or "winning " at the same time in the B1G or in the last 25+ years.

We went 17 years without a winning record in basketball, prior to the 2019-20 season, forget making a NIT.

If RU football can get to 7-5 & competition is closer than what we have seen in football, while Pike is winning games at the RAC, things change around here, and fast!!

If it happens we'll be in the Big Ten in 48 hours.
Wouldn't mind that that all, but it would have to be all sports and not some "football carveout". The Irish can decide if that is for them or not. Bottom line is that unlike the others the Irish can dictate their future.

Wouldn't mind that that all, but it would have to be all sports and not some "football carveout". The Irish can decide if that is for them or not. Bottom line is that unlike the others the Irish can dictate their future.

Agreed

It would have to be all sports

Reactions: rucoe89
Just stop.

NW went 10-3 in 2017. They won the BIG West in 2018 (9 win season). Nobody in Chicago cared.

Outside of that 2006 team, we have not had any teams with comparable success to this. That’s what I meant by “good”. If we had a 10-3 season in the BIG Rutgers would be majorly hyped throughout the area.

Metro New Yorkers who don’t otherwise follow much college football support us when we’re good.
We were 9 and 4 in 2009, 2011, and 2012. That's good. Just not elite.

We were 9 and 4 in 2009, 2011, and 2012. That's good. Just not elite.
Your not seriously comparing those 9-4 records with Northwestern’s 10-3 or 9-5 are you?

In the 10-3 season, NW’s losses were to 1 loss Wisconsin, 2 loss PSU and a road loss at a bowl eligible Duke team.

The 9-5 team started off the season poorly - then lost a 20-17 heartbreaker to Michigan that turned their season around. After that the beat 4 ranked teams including a bowl win over Utah, lost by 10 to a ND team that made the college football playoffs, and played OSU pretty tough in the BIG championship game. If we did anything like this the greater NY area would be rocking with buzz.

Reactions: Plum Street
I just posted this on the football board, but it appears, according to this tweet, that Louisville has joined the fray and the ACC now has eight schools United in leaving

Not saying this ain’t true but Swaim just throws stuff up at the wall to keep his followers interested. Where is Louisvilles landing spot? All other schools seem to believe they have places in B1G or SEC.

Not saying this ain’t true but Swaim just throws stuff up at the wall to keep his followers interested. Where is Louisvilles landing spot? All other schools seem to believe they have places in B1G or SEC.
They’re saying B12 but apparently the guy who posted throws stuff at the wall

I’m not on Twitter so I typivsli don’t follow these guys

Reactions: briccnerff
Why should Ohio State get the same amount of revenue as Northwestern. These moves are all about money. Sometimes when we can't control the numerator we shift our focus to the denominator.

Northwestern has the Chicago market and Rutgers has the NJ/NY market, but if you know these schools are going 2-8 in conference and losing by 3+ TD every time they play the better schools people in those areas won't watch Rutgers. Unfortunately capturing the NJ/NY and CHI market could be best done by getting ND.
Because every King needs his peasants. They need someone to play and even though you don't want to believe it, the B1G is more than just football. Ohio St. has no problem making the playoffs now, they didn't even need to win the conference. Why would they need a tougher schedule when the playoffs are going to 12? No one in the B1G is in danger of getting relegated to obscurity.

Because every King needs his peasants. They need someone to play and even though you don't want to believe it, the B1G is more than just football. Ohio St. has no problem making the playoffs now, they didn't even need to win the conference. Why would they need a tougher schedule when the playoffs are going to 12? No one in the B1G is in danger of getting relegated to obscurity.
Exactly. Many fans don't get that the kings of the money conferences (OSU/Michigan in the B1G, Bama in the SEC) need schools like Vandy or Indiana as jobbers and don't want only heavyweights in their conferences. There are a place and value for the lower level power conference teams. OSU/Michigan doesn't want to go 7-5 every year due to playing Murderer's Row.

Data don't support that.

Agreed - but I think it’s more that the apples to oranges data does not exactly exist period. In recent times, ND has been competitive every year, and we’ve been terrible.

Let’s put it this way - if going into the 10th game of next season we’re 7-2 and so is ND, I think our ratings for our 10th game would be higher than NDs would. I actually don’t even think it would be close. But there’s no way to prove for sure right now.

In 10 years there’s going to be 2 conferences with 65 teams. They’re going to segment them by divisions consisting of about 7-8 teams. I predict our division will include Pitt, BC, Syracuse, West Virginia, Cincinnati, and Louisville.

Sometimes history more than just rhymes.

This would be ugly. Cannot see it coming to this and ND would never be linked to this crap.

Last edited:

I remember when we felt this pain and Pitt, Syracuse and BC fans told us buh-bye. Glass houses can be fragile.

Agreed. I want Greg to succeed, but hope Pat has a list of replacements on speed dial. Dan Mullen should be on that list.
I want Greg to succeed too, and I have nothing against Dan Mullen, but I feel like last year was a unique opportunity with both Fickell and Rhule available, both of whom I think could come here and win relatively quickly, and I just don’t know that kind of talent will be available in the future if we decide Greg is not the guy.

They will be kicked out because 15 schools don’t want to share revenue with someone that doesn’t bring anything to the conference.
I don’t understand the Northwestern hate. They have been much more relevant than us and several other schools in the conference in football, and their basketball program is also improving. And even though they are a relatively smaller school, they have a rich alumni base with massive resources, the have the largest endowment in the BIG at over $16 billion.

They will be kicked out because 15 schools don’t want to share revenue with someone that doesn’t bring anything to the conference.
They just got this done in 2018:

And seems to be planning to build a privately funded $800 Million stadium:

Two things that there’s big issues in the way at Rutgers.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I want Greg to succeed too, and I have nothing against Dan Mullen, but I feel like last year was a unique opportunity with both Fickell and Rhule available, both of whom I think could come here and win relatively quickly, and I just don’t know that kind of talent will be available in the future if we decide Greg is not the guy.
I have nothing against Fickell or Rhule, but I feel that last year would have been too soon to make a decision on a new coach. I'm not sure Fickell would have been a good fit, and not sure Rhule would come here. Not sure anyone would have come here if RU had made a decision after only 3 years. I still fully support Greg, but as stated previously, he needs to show progress this year, and not progress over 1-8 in conference. Talent will be available in the future. The question is whether we will be able to hire that talent and pay the price for that talent.

I don’t why someone can’t be a fan and at the same time look at things objectively. Does a fan have to provide biased opinions?
Being critical is one thing, but some people are negative about every post. It's like they enjoy it when Rutgers fails. AshCatchEm is Mr. Negative and he has plenty of company. They hijack threads all the time just to create problems. It takes away from real discussions. Several good posters refuse to engage on the forum because of the BS. The quality of the board is dropping due to trolls and haters.

I have nothing against Fickell or Rhule, but I feel that last year would have been too soon to make a decision on a new coach. I'm not sure Fickell would have been a good fit, and not sure Rhule would come here. Not sure anyone would have come here if RU had made a decision after only 3 years. I still fully support Greg, but as stated previously, he needs to show progress this year, and not progress over 1-8 in conference. Talent will be available in the future. The question is whether we will be able to hire that talent and pay the price for that talent.
I agree it was too early and that Greg deserves more time, I am just doubtful the same quality of replacements will be available if we do make a change in a couple of years.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT