ADVERTISEMENT

But, But, But Pike got us to the dance last year.

I told everyone over and over again after losing Jacob and Myles in the preseason that this team is mentally weak, that our recruiting has been abysmal, that Pike has completely failed to bring relevant talent here for 2 years now.. and I got completely lambasted. The legions of low expectation-having RU fans came out of the woodwork: fat, dumb and happy that Rutgers has had some recent success, and not comprehending that we're likely headed for the abyss for at least 2 years, with Pike falling way behind the rest of the conference in selling RU as a destination to talented players.

I told everyone over and over again after losing Jacob and Myles in the preseason that this team is mentally weak, that our recruiting has been abysmal, that Pike has completely failed to bring relevant talent here for 2 years now.. and I got completely lambasted. The legions of low expectation-having RU fans came out of the woodwork: fat, dumb and happy that Rutgers has had some recent success, and not comprehending that we're likely headed for the abyss for at least 2 years, with Pike falling way behind the rest of the conference in selling RU as a destination to talented players.
I have said the same and get continually attacked by Pike's mob on this board

Pike is a nice guy, maybe too nice sometimes. Your team is a reflection of you. No fire or eye of the tiger in this team. He should have built off the last couple years when we snuck up on people. Not sneaking up on anyone anymore and he hasn't built off going to the dance. Sorry to say and it sucks.

Pike gets huge credit for building the program. It’s now how does Hobbs and our fan base see our program. Many are apparently content to be good for 2-3 years, drop off for a few years to rebuild again, and try to be good for another 2-3 year spurt. Others believe that once it’s built a B1G school in the NJ/NYC area should be a perennial NCAA team thinking about making deep runs. Let’s remind ourselves — a small Catholic school within less than 2 hours from here has become a top 10 program and won national titles. Our fans need to think much bigger.

Reactions: 1coastalknight
Pike gets huge credit for building the program. It’s now how does Hobbs and our fan base see our program. Many are apparently content to be good for 2-3 years, drop off for a few years to rebuild again, and try to be good for another 2-3 year spurt. Others believe that once it’s built a B1G school in the NJ/NYC area should be a perennial NCAA team thinking about making deep runs. Let’s remind ourselves — a small Catholic school within less than 2 hours from here has become a top 10 program and won national titles. Our fans need to think much bigger.
This is rutgers . Our fanbase still talks poetically about losing the NIT. A gif on this board started a thread about making the NIT this year . I am thrilled if we can make the tournament every few years and make runs like you describe

with his contract Pike is going nowhere, it will be a roller coaster until he can consistently recruit and doesn't always have to develop talent....I think his development strategy is more misses than hits

How about Indiana, a former blue blood who hasn't made the tournament in 5 years and held on to their former coach for several mediocre years?

Sure, it'd be great to reach the status of Villanova and a goal to try to achieve, but Nova is one of the 10 best basketball programs in the country for a couple of decades, with a Hall of Fame coach who can recruit blue chippers in his sleep.

It's like you want to go from crawling to going 60mph in a season or two

What happens if we fire Pike and the next coach turns out to be a bum?

I think too many people are just assuming we fire Pike and hire some super stud coach who will up recruiting to stack the roster and we will be contending for a title before you know it

Sure, that COULD happen.... but we could also do worse...

Good call on the mentality weak piece.
This team has mental weaknesses down to a science

Recruiting FYI (I have gathered these ratings from a nameless site that has numerical ratings which are easy to average):

2020​
Jacob Young
0.9414​
Montez Mathis
0.9359​
Paul Mulcahy
0.9232​
Ron Harper Jr.
0.9137​
Mamadou Ducoure
0.9097​
Caleb McConnell
0.8678​
Shaq Carter
0.8628​
Myles Johnson
0.8519​
Geo Baker
0.8365​
Akwasi Yeboah
0​
Peter Kiss
0​
Average (excluding zeros)

2023​
Clfford Omoruyi
0.9813​
Jaden Jones
0.9249​
Paul Mulcahy
0.9232​
Mawot Mag
0.8912​
Jalen Miller
0.8886​
Oskar Palmquist
0.8678​
Dean Reiber
0.8678​
Caleb McConnell
0.8678​
Aundre Hyatt
0.8639​
Derek Simpson
0.8556​
Antwone Woolfolk
0.8328​
Ralph Agee
0​
Average (excluding zeros)

Reactions: Scangg
Pikiell got Rutgers to the tournament doing it his way and has earned the chance to continue doing it his way for a few more seasons no matter how much you (or I) disagree with his recruiting, his scheduling, his substitution patterns.

Unless those same fans are GIVING bigger why does it make a difference if they are THINKING bigger?

Pikiell got Rutgers to the tournament doing it his way and has earned the chance to continue doing it his way for a few more seasons no matter how much you (or I) disagree with his recruiting, his scheduling, his substitution patterns.
says who???

says who???

I'm curious as to what your actual position is because you post a lot of the same stuff over and over again when we lose but never seem to get to what you would like to actually happen.
  • Are you advocating for firing Pike? If not then why are you challenging other fans who say he will get a couple more seasons?
  • If you are advocating for firing Pike..........
    • How is the remainder of his contract getting paid (~$13.5M through the 2025-26 season) - are you planning on ponying up the cash?
    • What coach are you recommending to replace him and at what salary (going rate will likely be around $4M - so essentially we will be paying >$7M per season for a Basketball Coach for the next 4 seasons)

This team has packed it in. We were down by double digits and Geo, our team leader according to him, is joking around with Fats
Russell who was lighting us up.

You have no idea what was said, people say crazy stuff with a smile on their face when trash talking.

Pike coached a very good game today…especially the last few minutes. This team was also desperately lacking a leader on the court. We now have one in Paul Mulcahy. He needed confidence. I think the turning point with him was the 2nd half at NW.

Reactions: Scarlet Blind
Laziest offense I have ever seen, which makes sense when so much effort is put on defense. Our offense is pathetically lazy and all they do is pass around the perimeter and chuck up threes. If we're hot from behind the ark at home we have a shot. If we're not hot....fugggetttaboutit home or on the road with such a lazy no penetration chuck up threes offense. Frankly this offense is offensive. What stud offensive player in the portal wants to come and play for Pike?? Next year....holy guacamole... fugggetttaboutit. Enjoy last year's NCAA appearance, but as the old saying goes there's nothing quieter than yesterday's applause.

laziest post I’ve ever seen..which makes sense when so much of his effort is trashing the team.

Look at all the people who liked this idiotic comment....😀😀😀😀😀.

Mark your words, lol
To be fair, we don’t know how this team looks next season.

We lose an awful lot, but right now they have it clicking

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT