ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Cam Spencer to Rutgers

Found a perfect compliment player to Paul and for the backcourt/wing, if we go with Cliff, Dean, Mag, Hyatt, and Woolfork at the 4/5, and has an Oskar Connection.

Feels like a Pike type of recruit.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Scangg
So technically - Spencer just took Agee’s scholarship, right? Geo didn’t count last year against the limit. If Caleb returns he’d take his own schollie back. On paper, the 2 incoming frosh took the schollies we gave to the 2 walk ons - right? I know RHJ and Jones aren’t coming back, but am
I correct that those are now the only 2 open schollies and neither has officially renounced their ability to return to RU yet (they hired NCAA approved agents).

So technically - Spencer just took Agee’s scholarship, right? Geo didn’t count last year against the limit. If Caleb returns he’d take his own schollie back. On paper, the 2 incoming frosh took the schollies we gave to the 2 walk ons - right? I know RHJ and Jones aren’t coming back, but am
I correct that those are now the only 2 open schollies and neither has officially renounced their ability to return to RU yet (they hired NCAA approved agents).
G (4) - Spencer, Mulcahy, Simpson, Miller
F (3) - Hyatt, Mag, Palmquist
C (3) - Omoruyi, Reiber, Woolfolk

That's 10, so technically there are three open scholarships. Caleb returning would be 11. It's highly likely that Pikiell will again use one for a walk on as he's talked about how hard it is to keep 13 guys happy. Like Aiden Terry may stay on scholarship, which would be 12. So I think if Caleb returns, we realistically have one more transfer to get.

The fact that everyone is reporting Cam committing means hard no on Hammond tells me one thing... Pike wants and expects Simpson to play a significant role on this team as a freshman.
which is concerning

Yes. If Caleb does return, we’ll have 4 ball handling guards on the roster (2 veteran starters) plus one of the articles said Spencer played some situational point at Loyola. He’s probably not “that bad”. That wasn’t a priority. We needed a shooter and landed one.
the problem still remains that next years roster still doesn't have a single player who can create their own shot. While Geo had his flaws, he could at times create his own shot. Same goes for Ron, he could get the ball and get down hill or pull up off the dribble. We need another piece or honestly 2 that can do that for next years team

G (4) - Spencer, Mulcahy, Simpson, Miller
F (3) - Hyatt, Mag, Palmquist
C (3) - Omoruyi, Reiber, Woolfolk

That's 10, so technically there are three open scholarships. Caleb returning would be 11. It's highly likely that Pikiell will again use one for a walk on as he's talked about how hard it is to keep 13 guys happy. Like Aiden Terry may stay on scholarship, which would be 12. So I think if Caleb returns, we realistically have one more transfer to get.
Wheres the offense coming from here? Who's capable of creating their own shot? People are going to get mad I'm asking these questions because that's the popular thing to do here but they're genuine questions

• Haha
Reactions: Eagleton96
Wheres the offense coming from here? Who's capable of creating their own shot? People are going to get mad I'm asking these questions because that's the popular thing to do here but they're genuine questions
Eh, who knows. I think Spencer is capable of doing that, it's a question of how effective that's going to be. His brother did it at Northwestern. The goal for this offense is to not need that as much. The best version of a Mulcahy, Spencer, McConnell, Mag, Omoruyi offense is pretty good, I think. But there is a lot of downside risk.

We'll also probably pursue another transfer so all the pieces to answer that question aren't in place yet.

This is kinda OT for this thread but, I have to admit it has been nice to see RHJ and Geo contributing to threads on this board even after their playing days are (most likely) over. I think it shows they were very happy at Rutgers and it seems they are still looking after their parents (coaches) and younger siblings, not to mention their fans and fellow students. It's a real good optic in this day and age! I sure hope these guys have tremendous successes going forward in their lives. Go RU!

Nobody gets mad at you for asking the questions.

People get mad at you for answering the questions on your own before they can be answered on the court.

And then, when they are answered on the court you then change the questions.

Thats you in a nutshell

We have a whole roster full of returning guys who will have another year of development. How do you know that nobody will take the next step? Also - we haven’t even seen Simpson play yet. How do you know he can’t have similar impact to what Geo provided as a frosh? Pike teams find their way on offense as long as their defense holds up.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Eh, who knows. I think Spencer is capable of doing that, it's a question of how effective that's going to be. His brother did it at Northwestern. The goal for this offense is to not need that as much. The best version of a Mulcahy, Spencer, McConnell, Mag, Omoruyi offense is pretty good, I think. But there is a lot of downside risk.

We'll also probably pursue another transfer so all the pieces to answer that question aren't in place yet.

To my point, here's Spencer creating some offense against UNC:

We have a whole roster full of returning guys who will have another year of development. How do you know that nobody will take the next step? Also - we haven’t even seen Simpson play yet. How do you know he can’t have similar impact to what Geo provided as a frosh? Pike teams find their way on offense as long as their defense holds up.
*as someone who went to the same high school, that would be pretty surprising tbh

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

Don't get me wrong, I do like this pickup. I don't like it if it's our only pick up and I don't like it if were relying on him to be our go to guy. That shouldn't be a controversial statement. We need an athletic guard still. As it stands none of our guards have ever dunked in a game lol.

*as someone who went to the same high school, that would be pretty surprising tbh
Would you have expected Geo to be a bigger contributor based on his high school stats. I don’t follow recruiting much - I’m not questioning, more asking. Guards do tend to be able to help earlier than bigs.

yup, he's a good pick up for sure. He just can't be our only pick up. We need to add an athletic guard who can create.

Spencer is going to be the fundamental guy who you know exactly what you're going to get every night and that is a good thing. His game is that guy at the Y who's just frustrating to play against because he doesn't make any mistakes. We just need to add another piece so teams can't throw their best/most athletic defensive guy at him every night because if they do, it won't be favorable for us imo

yup, he's a good pick up for sure. He just can't be our only pick up. We need to add an athletic guard who can create.

Spencer is going to be the fundamental guy who you know exactly what you're going to get every night and that is a good thing. His game is that guy at the Y who's just frustrating to play against because he doesn't make any mistakes. We just need to add another piece so teams can't throw their best/most athletic defensive guy at him every night because if they do, it won't be favorable for us imo
Mulcachy has dunked in a game…..,.

No decent big man is going to come here knowing Cliff will get the bulk of the minutes. We will be fine with Dean backing up Cliff

Reactions: MADHAT1 and Scangg
Would you have expected Geo to be a bigger contributor based on his high school stats. I don’t follow recruiting much - I’m not questioning, more asking. Guards do tend to be able to help earlier than bigs.
Not sure. Didn’t know much about Geo before he came here.

No decent big man is going to come here knowing Cliff will get the bulk of the minutes. We will be fine with Dean backing up Cliff
This. We couldn’t get one last year why would we get one this year.

Just because you went to Lenape (20 years ago?) you think you know what kind of impact Simpson will have?

LOL what a weird and baseless angle.

Have you ever seen the kid play live? Doubtful.

And spare me about how you think they play weaker competition than North Jersey schools.

Well it depends what you mean by create. Mulcahy can create even if he can't dribble past anyone. Getting into the lane and drawing an extra defender and making a pass is creation. Defenses adjusted to him after his hot streak, it's up to him and the staff to improve and make adjustments of their own.

Just because you went to Lenape (20 years ago?) you think you know what kind of impact Simpson will have?

And spare me about how you think they play weaker competition than North Jersey schools.
I respect the insinuation that he may have an inside angle on Simpson...but when asked/pushed for details, I don't recall getting anything of substance.

again, IMHO, Sojo being Sojo

Mulcachy has dunked in a game…..,.
has he actually? I don't say it as meaning like a dunk is worth more points, just to explain we don't really have any explosive athletes in the back court. I would've loved to land both spencer and hammond. Two different players. Hammond can really break guys down off the dribble and that's something we don't have on this roster right now

Never said anything about north Jersey v south Jersey I think south Jersey is slept on especially in football. Why would you attribute that angle to me?

As I’ve said before I’m only going on what I’ve heard from people attached to basketball in the town.

I don’t know what impact he will have, and never said I did - just that based on what I’ve heard about him I’d be surprised if he did what Geo did freshman year.

so you're expecting an 18 year old freshman with 2 major p5 offers to make a significant impact as a true frosh in the big ten? interesting.

has he actually? I don't say it as meaning like a dunk is worth more points, just to explain we don't really have any explosive athletes in the back court. I would've loved to land both spencer and hammond. Two different players. Hammond can really break guys down off the dribble and that's something we don't have on this roster right now
Yea I remember one against Ohio state and Nebraska - also Simpson has dunked in high school, no reason to think he wouldn’t on a fast break in college.

so you're expecting an 18 year old freshman with 2 major p5 offers to make a significant impact as a true frosh in the big ten? interesting.

I never gave an opinion on anything, not sure why you constantly put words in my mouth.

Was simply asking Sojo what he’s basing he assessment on other than simply going to the same high school years ago.

This. We couldn’t get one last year why would we get one this year.
I’m not expecting much but if Caleb comes back and we only have 2 schollies to give, I’d still rather us use the last one on another Agee type as security for injury than give it to a walk on.

I should also say I don’t think Geo had much of an “impact” though that word is pretty subjective. No denying he put up 10pts a game as a freshman - not sure the best way to quantify his contribution so I’ll stay out of that one. Simpson could average 3pts a game and maybe have a bigger impact who knows

Never said anything about north Jersey v south Jersey I think south Jersey is slept on especially in football. Why would you attribute that angle to me?

As I’ve said before I’m only going on what I’ve heard from people attached to basketball in the town.

I don’t know what impact he will have, and never said I did - just that based on what I’ve heard about him I’d be surprised if he did what Geo did freshman year.

Well this is basketball not football, so completely unrelated (I do think South Jersey basketball is weak and football is underated, especially the publics).

I thought you have stated in the past you’re not high on Simpson because he plays weak competition and Lenape has poor coaching.

Maybe I’m confusing you with someone else who said they went to Lenape.

I never gave an opinion on anything, not sure why you constantly put words in my mouth.

Was simply asking Sojo what he’s basing he assessment on other than simply going to the same high school years ago.
You actually didn’t ask, you insinuated.

I’m not familiar with his game. I don’t expect him to play the minutes Geo played as a frosh because I expect our team to be better than Geo’s frosh team was and have more alternative options. That doesn’t mean he won’t be able to contribute and provide a spark off the bench.

Well this is basketball not football, so completely unrelated (I do think South Jersey basketball is weak and football is underated, especially the publics).

I thought you have stated in the past you’re not high on Simpson because he plays weak competition and Lenape has poor coaching.

Maybe I’m confusing you with someone else who said they went to Lenape.
I’ve said in the past I’m not expecting much from Simpson based on what I’ve heard from people in and around Lenape basketball (reviews have been up and down, keeping my expectations low) and that I think it’s a good thing for Simpsons upside that Lenapes coach is bad.

LOL

this can be taken many ways. if your peeps are telling you this kid isn't going to be an all-B1G player his freshman year, that's very different from the kid can't go left, or struggles to create his own shot, etc.

again, i dont think many are expecting this kid to come in and be a savior (some are, but that's a very small #), but I don't think I am alone in getting the distinct impression that you're trying to paint a negative picture on Simpson (which you will of course say "how am I being negative...it's YOU who is taking it as negative"...thus, the Sojo being Sojo reference)

Reactions: S_Janowski

Thanks. Good video.
I would worry this game is an outlier though.

I don't follow recruiting but I'll just say in general I would not be hopeful for a 6'4" SG with athleticism concerns to create his own shot consistently in the BIG against bigger players.
Mulcahy is 6'6" so he's able to bully his way into the lane against smaller guards.

Perhaps he'll be more of a stand in the corner 3pt threat.
Or run him around and off-ball screens to get open for a shot (something I wish we did with RHJ more).
Is he going to be able to consistently get a step on defenders in the BIG and get to the rim like Geo could?
That's on the coaching staff to figure out.

The offense is going to have to look different. If we run the same stuff but it's Derek Simpson trying to create space for a pull-up instead of Geo, or Mawot Mag backing into the lane instead of Ron Harper, then yes of course it's going to go worse. There's going to have to be a lot more off-ball screens to set up cutting lanes. McConnell is a good cutter. Mag from what I've seen can do that. Spencer did it in his highlights. Cliff can position himself for an alley-oop. And Mulcahy is a good enough passer to cash in on these.

If we come out in game 1 and the offense looks like it has the last three seasons then yeah that's going to be an issue. But let's wait and see if that actually happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT