ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Cam Spencer to Rutgers

I think KYK's points are all fair in this thread. Spencer seems like a great pickup and the ideal 3rd best player on your roster. Curious to see how this plays out because Pike has a bit of a tough sell for a bucket getter. Caleb does not fit that mold, but obviously Pike will hold his spot and give him 30 minutes (deservedly so). Until the Caleb situation plays out, it's going to be tough to get the shot-creator this roster needs.

Reactions: Scangg
LOL

this can be taken many ways. if your peeps are telling you this kid isn't going to be an all-B1G player his freshman year, that's very different from the kid can't go left, or struggles to create his own shot, etc.

again, i dont think many are expecting this kid to come in and be a savior (some are, but that's a very small #), but I don't think I am alone in getting the distinct impression that you're trying to paint a negative picture on Simpson (which you will of course say "how am I being negative"...it's YOU who is taking it as negative...thus, the Sojo being Sojo reference)
All I can say bro is you’re the one doing the painting.

I can say in the off season last year cliff is going to be an absolute stud and give pike the opportunity to change the look of our offense, and no one replies at all.

Then I say word is up and down on Simpson, with the assumption you can take it fwiw, and say there’s upside for his growth because his HS coach stinks, and get 20 replies saying “how do you know what he’s going to do his freshman year”?

I f***** don’t know lol

Find it hilarious though that my opinion, based onmy views and a little more information that may or may not be worth anything, is impossible compared to the opinion that he will step in a contribute as a freshman right away, with no other information other than hope.

Im not doing anything other than saying what I see and/or hear. Constant negativity like yours just serves no purpose imo

Nobody gets mad at you for asking the questions.

People get mad at you for answering the questions on your own before they can be answered on the court.

And then, when they are answered on the court you then change the questions.

Thats you in a nutshell
This. He’s already made up his mind on how things should be and will be before the season ends. It’s Tiresome.

thats what I get for going to sleep early...missed out......well anyhow this get I like. Pike did it. He closed. He really closed with one of the higher rated guys left in the portal. That he has 2 years of eligibility is icing on the cake.

Based on last comments I think Pike favors guys in the portal who have more than 1 year left

Reactions: Scangg
FWIW (Torvik's algorithm loves Spencer) adding McConnell and Spencer while removing Jones takes us from #76 projected to #47.

image.png

The offense is going to have to look different. If we run the same stuff but it's Derek Simpson trying to create space for a pull-up instead of Geo, or Mawot Mag backing into the lane instead of Ron Harper, then yes of course it's going to go worse. There's going to have to be a lot more off-ball screens to set up cutting lanes. McConnell is a good cutter. Mag from what I've seen can do that. Spencer did it in his highlights. Cliff can position himself for an alley-oop. And Mulcahy is a good enough passer to cash in on these.

If we come out in game 1 and the offense looks like it has the last three seasons then yeah that's going to be an issue. But let's wait and see if that actually happens.

100%
I think one of the biggest misses the past 2 years was not moving RHJ around and getting him open catch and shoot 3s.

It really only happened on fast breaks and RHJ trailing the play.
Way too many times RHJ was standing in a corner and not moving around.
Spencer seems like an ideal candidate for those plays.

I can say in the off season last year cliff is going to be an absolute stud and give pike the opportunity to change the look of our offense, and no one replies at all.

Then I say word is up and down on Simpson, with the assumption you can take it fwiw, and say there’s upside for his growth because his HS coach stinks, and get 20 replies saying “how do you know what he’s going to do his freshman year”?

I f***** don’t know lol

Find it hilarious though that my opinion, based onmy views and a little more information that may or may not be worth anything, is impossible compared to the opinion that he will step in a contribute as a freshman right away, with no other information other than hope.

Im not doing anything other than saying what I see and/or hear. Constant negativity like yours just serves no purpose imo

Dude its a message board. You put your opinion out there on Simpson and then tried to validate that opinion based on what you are hearing in your town without elaborating on what exactly might be wrong on Simpson (i.e. the "down" part of up and down). Did you post that expecting it to be received as some type of Gospel and not challenged at all?

Dude its a message board. You put your opinion out there on Simpson and then tried to validate that opinion based on what you are hearing in your town without elaborating on what exactly might be wrong on Simpson (i.e. the "down" part of up and down). Did you post that expecting it to be received as some type of Gospel and not challenged at all?
Not at all. But i didn’t expect personal attacks, just discussion.

Reactions: GRU23

I f***** don’t know lol

Simpson stayed at his high school and didn’t go to a school where he would be better recognized. That kind of loyalty and team first mentality is what Pike is looking for in his players. The tape on him is quite nice.

I’m not familiar with his game. I don’t expect him to play the minutes Geo played as a frosh because I expect our team to be better than Geo’s frosh team was and have more alternative options. That doesn’t mean he won’t be able to contribute and provide a spark off the bench.
Is next years back court better than geo's freshman year? The back court geo competed with was Corey Sanders Nigel Johnson and Mike Williams. Simpson will compete with mulcahy spencer and jalen miller.

The offense is going to have to look different. If we run the same stuff but it's Derek Simpson trying to create space for a pull-up instead of Geo, or Mawot Mag backing into the lane instead of Ron Harper, then yes of course it's going to go worse. There's going to have to be a lot more off-ball screens to set up cutting lanes. McConnell is a good cutter. Mag from what I've seen can do that. Spencer did it in his highlights. Cliff can position himself for an alley-oop. And Mulcahy is a good enough passer to cash in on these.

If we come out in game 1 and the offense looks like it has the last three seasons then yeah that's going to be an issue. But let's wait and see if that actually happens.
you're one of the most reasonable posters on here

Reactions: Scangg and kcg88
Is next years back court better than geo's freshman year? The back court geo competed with was Corey Sanders Nigel Johnson and Mike Williams. Simpson will compete with mulcahy spencer and jalen miller.
Depends if it's 1 on 1 at the local park or a sanctioned college basketball game.

Edit: Nigel transferred out before Geo came in

Reactions: KnightTerrors
The different was down low. That RU team had to rely on Freeman in the post. Completely different even if the guards were better. The whole game focus has to
be perimeter.

The different was down low. That RU team had to rely on Freeman in the post. Completely different even if the guards were better. The whole game focus has to
be perimeter.
I agree our 5 position next year will definitely be different. My concern is just that I hope we add one more guard who is a great ball handler who can break down his defender off the dribble. We don't have that on next years roster and our offense relies on that. Marcus Hammond would've been perfect, really good player.

What's our starting lineup looking like for next year at the moment? We kinda don't have a PG. Are we really going to rely on a true frosh in simpson from the jump? I've heard some mixed reviews about him. Some good, mostly from here, some bad mostly from north jersey aau guys who tbh probably have a little bias as they don't like pike or south jersey.

Simpson-Spencer-Mulcahy-Mag/Hyatt?-Cliff. It's a brutal lineup

Depends if it's 1 on 1 at the local park or a sanctioned college basketball game.

Edit: Nigel transferred out before Geo came in
ah yes that is right. They missed each other by one year.

I agree our 5 position next year will definitely be different. My concern is just that I hope we add one more guard who is a great ball handler who can break down his defender off the dribble. We don't have that on next years roster and our offense relies on that. Marcus Hammond would've been perfect, really good player.

What's our starting lineup looking like for next year at the moment? We kinda don't have a PG. Are we really going to rely on a true frosh in simpson from the jump? I've heard some mixed reviews about him. Some good, mostly from here, some bad mostly from north jersey aau guys who tbh probably have a little bias as they don't like pike or south jersey.

I think a Simpson comes off the bench and Caleb and Paul bring up the ball together. I’ll have similar concerns to yours if we don’t get Caleb back, but why are you assuming at this point that we won’t?

We are all praying (or should be praying) that Caleb returns. If so we are in OK shape barring injuries. No one is saying we’ll be amazing but there’s room for optimism.

Mulcahy - 11pppg
Spencer - 11ppg
Caleb - 10ppg
Hyatt - 7ppg
Cliff - 14ppg

Mag - 6ppg
Reiber - 5ppg
Simpson - 4ppg
Miller - 2ppg
Palmquist - 2ppg
Woofolk - RS

TOTAL - 72ppg (last year we averaged 67.9ppg)

Is that so unreasonable?

We are all praying (or should be praying) that Caleb returns. If so we are in OK shape barring injuries. No one is saying we’ll be amazing but there’s room for optimism.

Mulcahy - 11pppg
Spencer - 11ppg
Caleb - 10ppg
Hyatt - 7ppg
Cliff - 14ppg

Mag - 6ppg
Reiber - 5ppg
Simpson - 4ppg
Miller - 2ppg
Palmquist - 2ppg
Woofolk - RS

Is that so unreasonable?
Palmquist giving us 2 seems like a big reach to me. As does assuming Hyatt/Mag gives us 13

Reactions: kcg88
Palmquist giving us 2 seems like a big reach to me. As does assuming Hyatt/Mag gives us 13
Lmao not sure if you’re joking but Palm gave us 1.5ppg this year. He’s 6’8 and can shoot 3’s - our coaches would have to be terrible at player development to not get him to 2ppg, and we already know they aren’t terrible.

Mag and Hyatt averaged 7.2ppg this year combined in 24.5 minutes. If they get an additional 8-10 minutes each, 13ppg should be easily attainable

Lmao not sure if you’re joking but Palm gave us 1.5ppg this year. He’s 6’8 and can shoot 3’s - our coaches would have to be terrible at player development to not get him to 2ppg, and we already know they aren’t terrible.

Mag and Hyatt averaged 7.2ppg this year combined in 24.5 minutes. If they get an additional 8-10 minutes each, 13ppg should be easily attainable
Palm only played 15 games so his 1.5ppg was really less than 1 in totality.

Hyatt and Mag could score 13, but I don’t see them getting the shots regularly to rely on them to give us 13. I do think they add or at least try to add another forward though.

Reactions: kcg88
You are correct or if fans followed the targets of the staff, it was clear they wanted another Combo guard, who could play off the ball, be a 3 point shooting threat, which plays well when you have Mulcahy, Cliff.

The easiest or closest target to RU was Princeton guard Ethan Wright.....he has a similar game to Cam Spencer, but Wright only has 1 year left, vs Spencer having 2.

Next on the order of visits was Cam Spencer, who arrived Monday and committed Tuesday night. Hammond is more on the ball combo guard, more slasher who can shoot. But not the shooter than Wright or Spencer have in the way we have the roster set up.

There's definitely a clear path for Simpson to play off the bench and anywhere from 10 to 24 minutes, depending on how well he adjusts. With Spencer, Simpson can mesh with him for 2 years and become the leaf guard.

It also sets up the staff to fully target Dylan Harper in 2024 as the Spencer SG replacement. Simpson with some development and play this year on the ball, would be a game ready junior in 2 seasons, who should progress to perfectly compliment Dylan and his game.

My expectation next is a multi year transfer at the 4/5 who can be a starter after Cliff departs after the 2022-23 season and can split time with Reiber at the 4/5.

If you get the multi-year transfer this spring, it allows the staff to find a frosh 2023 big man (Gus Yalden, Papa Kante or whomever else steps up on the circuit). That 2023 big won't be asked to step in immediately to play, but if you land a Gus type of big, you have Mulcahy and Spencer as 5th year seniors, who can make plays and shots, to compliment the bigs.

Everything has a path or multiple paths on building a competitive roster that can allow RU to match up against the different styles of play we see in the B1G.
Really nailed it with this post Hawk

Reactions: NewJerseyHawk
Welcome Cam.
This stood out from the Ledger item.
"But even in the worst shooting year of his college career, Spencer would have been Rutgers’ second-best 3-point shooter last season."

People finding stuff like this surprising always surprises me... if you target these guys and expect them to do well, why wouldn't you leave room for them to play? Pikiell trusts his guys.
I've been on the Simpson train pretty hard for a while if you have been paying attention.

He is still a freshman and an unknown no matter how much I or Pike loves him. Everyone had Jones being a major contributer this season and he ended up with DNPs. I don't expect that to happen with Simpson. I really don't. He is still an unknown at the college level and this team desperately needs players who can create off the dribble.... and we still have 3 open scholarships. It is certainly reasonable to think Pike would bring an another guard who can score and create

Mulcahy - 11pppg
Spencer - 11ppg
Caleb - 10ppg
Hyatt - 7ppg
Cliff - 14ppg

Mag - 6ppg
Reiber - 5ppg
Simpson - 4ppg
Miller - 2ppg
Palmquist - 2ppg
Woofolk - RS

Is that so unreasonable?

Think Cliff will be closer to 20 ppg next season.

A big reach to make 1 shot a game if he plays more minutes. Are you serious ?
He’s literally the last guy on the bench. Could he? Sure, I suppose he could. Do I think it happens? No, not at all.

If he is scoring 2 points a game with more minutes, he’s then taking minutes from Hyatt/Mag presumably. Then those guys will not get to 13 a game like it says. He would also be basically a waste of playing time at 2 ppg.

Wheres the offense coming from here? Who's capable of creating their own shot? People are going to get mad I'm asking these questions because that's the popular thing to do here but they're genuine questions
I agree this is a legitimate concern. Despite what you have tried to say lately that I just argue with you for likes which is pathetic. If you have a good take I'll agree like I always have. It's not my fault your takes have gotten worse.

We do lack players with speed and quickness who can create off the dribble and get to the rim. If Simpson steps up that would be huge, but he is a freshman and no one knows for sure if he will be ready for that type of role as a freshman.

Paul and Cam can create, just not with speed. So it still does work but they aren't the best 1 on 1 players. They both do better off pick n roll or off ball reversals where the defenders are moving and out of position.

Mag and Hyatt are question marks. Hyatt can get his own shot off but needs to step up with efficency

To my point, here's Spencer creating some offense against UNC:

This is where actually watching more of Spencer's game helps. It grows on you. This game shows he can score against elite completion and elite elite athletes. He was 6-9 from 2 and started the season in a 3 point slump. He uses pump fakes and his body well to get shots off. Nice change of pace and hesitation dribbles. Change of pace is key for players who aren't as quick. Very good with timing on back door cuts and sets them up nicely. Effective off ball screens and seems to be a good passer. It'll give a different look with him and Cliff in a PnR where they can't sag and let him shoot compared to Paul

Well it depends what you mean by create. Mulcahy can create even if he can't dribble past anyone. Getting into the lane and drawing an extra defender and making a pass is creation. Defenses adjusted to him after his hot streak, it's up to him and the staff to improve and make adjustments of their own.
This. You can create differently.... although it's not ideal if we don't have anyone who is explosive enough to get to the rim and finish off the dribble. Miller and Simpson are the 2 most explosive guards and Miller did not show much offensively and Simpson is a true freshman.

I really do hope we see a different offense with more cutting. I wanted to get out and run more with Cliff being an absolute weapon the way he can run at the 5 with his length and athleticism. Mag and Hyatt can run. Spencer can get some open 3's in transition. Paul and Cam aren't the fastest though so we'll see. I did want to get more athletic in the portal which didn't happen

He’s literally the last guy on the bench. Could he? Sure, I suppose he could. Do I think it happens? No, not at all.

If he is scoring 2 points a game with more minutes, he’s then taking minutes from Hyatt/Mag presumably. Then those guys will not get to 13 a game like it says. He would also be basically a waste of playing time at 2 ppg.
I think he was basically trying to say an average of 18-20 bench points and 50-52 points from the starting 5 wouldn’t be unreasonable for this group - with a sample breakdown.

Don't do it Nick. Don't go down this rabbit hole again. Don't take the bait.

I'm amazed at the people who think Clif will easily score way more than RHJ - who was the top 3pt shooter in the BIG last year.
That's a lot of alley oops.
Cliff's usage will go up. I also wouldn't be surprised if you see him take some 3's. Add the fact that he has shown an amazing ability to develop and he will obviously be scoring more.

20 is a stretch but I think 15 is about the floor expectation with upside for more. Cliff will be a major focus of the offense and is a dominate athlete

I think he was basically trying to say an average of 18-20 bench points and 50-52 points from the starting 5 wouldn’t be unreasonable for this group - with a sample breakdown.
I hope you’re right, but will be a big ask to go up 5 ppg while losing Harper and Geo

I think a Simpson comes off the bench and Caleb and Paul bring up the ball together. I’ll have similar concerns to yours if we don’t get Caleb back, but why are you assuming at this point that we won’t?

he hates pike. He’s always assuming the worst with him

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT