ADVERTISEMENT

Can’t blame Pike

RUsojo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2010
He played our bet players and they played their best game in a while. He made a bunch of great calls down the stretch offensively getting wide open looks for cam and Simpson.

Just didn’t happened tonight

He played our bet players and they played their best game in a while. He made a bunch of great calls down the stretch offensively getting wide open looks for cam and Simpson.

Rutgers played one of their best offensive games and worse defensive games.The team had a very small margin for error against league competition.

Don't agree
Look at the shots they had at the end – – tied it in regulation of a wild, off-balance three-point shot followed by a lucky long rebound off another wild, off-balance, three point shot. Our endgame in overtime gave us exactly the shot. we drew up which just missed and we did not get that lucky carom— not long before that they had a banked in three. It should not have been so close, but they did get the brakes down the stretch, which had nothing to do with Pike.

Reactions: AM ClocksPF

Agreed. Sometimes you can’t explain it. Hofstras kids were dynamite and lucky for sure but they earned it. It happens in basketball.

Where were his big mistakes?
No defensive intensity like last 2 games. No fire in their belly.
Guys fading off their shooter all day long on the perimeter. Guys not going up for hard rebounds. The other team was clearly more athletic and faster so I'm not talking about that. Every time our defense faded off a guy, I looked at my wife and I said "in" and obviously shot went in because they can shoot lights out.

Look at the shots they had at the end – – tied it in regulation of a wild, off-balance three-point shot followed by a lucky long rebound off another wild, off-balance, three point shot. Our endgame in overtime gave us exactly the shot. we drew up which just missed and we did not get that lucky carom— not long before that they had a banked in three. It should not have been so close, but they did get the brakes down the stretch, which had nothing to do with Pike.
Yup and a frigging banked 3…

I’ll blame Pike for his early game subs and for not directing team to hold for last shot end of half. A 3 with 9 seconds left and shot clock off can’t happen on a team that shoots such a low percentage. Take it as clock expires, but not with plenty of time for other team to put up more points before half.

Won’t blame Pikiell but he could have done better just like the players.

The defense was lacking and also that chuck down the court by Paul to end regulation with over 2 seconds left was a realllllly dumb call. I’m almost sure Paul stepped inbounds before he released the ball - couldn’t believe my eyes with that call.

Another thing was that their two big guns were held to 4–16 for three-point shots while the rest of the team was 6–10. They focused on the right guys, but the others just came up big. One more thing that shows you that this loss was not about coaching.

Reactions: ScarletDave
Another thing was that their two big guns were held to 4–16 for three-point shots while the rest of the team was 6–10. They focused on the right guys, but the others just came up big. One more thing that shows you that this loss was not about coaching.
The RU team that frustrated the hell out of Michigan in the second half of the UM game would demoralize and demolish Hofstra if that particular RU team showed up tonight.

The RU team that frustrated the hell out of Michigan in the second half of the UM game would demoralize and demolish Hofstra if that particular RU team showed up tonight.
Michigan didn’t have a bunch of single digit scorers who came out and shot 60% from three point range.

Michigan didn’t have a bunch of single digit scorers who came out and shot 60% from three point range.
Huh ?. I was there and we let them shoot. It's almost like we didn't believe they can consistently continue hitting those shots - Lucky or not - and we faded off the shooters on the perimeter. We smothered the Michigan offense. We smothered nobody today. What do you think Micah Shrewsbury would have said to his team if they gave up this many points to Hofstra on their home court in this fashion ? Do you think he would have called them out saying that they got punked ? I'm not putting the kids or the coach down and burying them, but I'm not saying that they played and he coached a grade A game. I give them a C minus at best.

Last edited:
haha i know what you are doing here but that aint our game and we will lose 99 of 100x doing this.

I’m a huge Pikiell fan and believer in his style (just think we need more talent to bring us to the next level).

It is funny though some people just love offense and think bc we scored 86 points (in OT) he coached a good game.

We didn't get great looks.

Rutgers played one of their best offensive games and worse defensive games.The team had a very small margin for error against league competition.
Defense takes the energy, I think that was sucked out of them Sunday night...I was afraid of this. Said all day hope they pull this out and then they will prob go on a run...Oh well, GREAT (Way better than expected) first 3/4 of the season which just makes the last 1/4 hurt so much more...Future is very bright!

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
I’m not sure you guys understand what “good coaching” is .. if Rutgers went to Kansas and they stuffed Cam and Cliff but then all of a sudden Reiber came in and started banking in three pointers and Derrick Simpson hit 6 threes, was the loss on the Kansas coach Bill Self? No, sometimes crazy stuff happens. Hofstra 6-7in OT including 2 banked shots. Yet miss the final shot of regulation so badly that even Cliff can’t jump high enough for a RB and it falls into their hands for the put back. Every prayer answered tonight for HU it happens (and even then I’ve never seen one like this maybe)

Reactions: bethlehemfan
I’m not sure you guys understand what “good coaching” is .. if Rutgers went to Kansas and they stuffed Cam and Cliff but then all of a sudden Reiber came in and started banking in three pointers and Derrick Simpson hit 6 threes, was the loss on the Kansas coach Bill Self? No, sometimes crazy stuff happens. Hofstra 6-7in OT including 2 banked shots. Yet miss the final shot of regulation so badly that even Cliff can’t jump high enough for a RB and it falls into their hands for the put back. Every prayer answered tonight for HU it happens (and even then I’ve never seen one like this maybe)
People don’t understand the game.

Best offensive game in a while, not great defensively. Way too many baskets off the press and it was our worst transition defense of the season

Even when we stepped it up defensively, they made some really difficult shots, but we gave up too many easy ones which gave them confidence and rhythm

Cliff should have controlled the long rebound on the last shot in regulation. It looked like he went up too early and deflected it away from Simpson to the Hofstra player who made the put back in the lane to tie the score.

I felt that we were toast when it went to OT. Should have won it in regulation.

Having said that, I have my doubts that we could beat the winner of Cincy-Va Tech. A disappointing finish to the season for sure.

Up 19-7 with 2 total team fouls and with other team on the ropes and in comes the parade of subs. Soon after, lead gone, that’s on coaching, and huge momentum shift that probably sealed their fate.
We did not put them away early on we let them hang around. at The point you knew it would go to the wire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT