ADVERTISEMENT

Carino article on Senegal/Portugal trip

There's a big difference between saying Pike wanted or even forced Paul and Spencer out vs. Pike recruited better or different style players and the players who were "recruited over" (yours words) left on their own.

It seems now you are being quite vague. What exactly was this prime piece of gossip you turned up at the all star game? Its certainly not clear from this thread.

Are you saying Pike asked Paul and/or Cam to leave - or forced them out? Your argument in support of your theory seems pretty vague and unconvincing. Continuing to bring in quality players and "recruiting over" existing players is not forcing someone out, if that's what you're saying. Its what is expected of every coach in every sport. And your list of events above seems like an attempt to link normal and random events to fit a shakey narrative. Honestly, without definitive statements, it seems a bit like a night at The Waffle House.

There's a big difference between saying Pike wanted or even forced Paul and Spencer out vs. Pike recruited better or different style players and the players who were "recruited over" (yours words) left on their own.

It seems now you are being quite vague. What exactly was this prime piece of gossip you turned up at the all star game? Its certainly not clear from this thread.

Are you saying Pike asked Paul and/or Cam to leave - or forced them out? Your argument in support of your theory seems pretty vague and unconvincing. Continuing to bring in quality players and "recruiting over" existing players is not forcing someone out, if that's what you're saying. Its what is expected of every coach in every sport. And your list of events above seems like an attempt to link normal and random events to fit a shakey narrative. Honestly, without definitive statements, it seems a bit like a night at The Waffle House.

I can't link articles from other premium sites, but if you can find the article that was written yesterday and combine it with the podcasts on this board here on how RU needed to play a faster tempo of basketball, it all adds up.

If you haven't listened to the recent podcasts on this site, then I suggest you subscribe and pay for premium ASAP

Reactions: MiloTalon13

This

Copying my post from the Round Table the other day when Hawk regurgitated this same narrative:

Geezus, man, you’re like a certain recent ex President who thinks that if you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth.

Do you really think Pike’s “plan” was to run off his two veteran guards — one of which was his co-leading scorer — IN JUNE AFTER THE PORTAL HAD CLOSED?!?!

It’s such a ridiculous proposition that you cannot really believe it. And you can’t possibly believe Pikiell is that… stupid… to risk his roster on the HOPE that he would find better players in July.

If he truly was looking to overhaul the guard play, he would have run them off in April when the portal was still teeming with high major prospects.

Rap Game No GIF by Lifetime

Geezus, man, you’re like a certain recent ex President who thinks that if you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth.
You're either naive or haven't been paying attention if you think that is/was unique to ONE President or any one group in general.

• Love
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Copying my post from the Round Table the other day when Hawk regurgitated this same narrative:

Do you really think Pike’s “plan” was to run off his two veteran guards — one of which was his co-leading scorer — IN JUNE AFTER THE PORTAL HAD CLOSED?!?!

It’s such a ridiculous proposition that you cannot really believe it. And you can’t possibly believe Pikiell is that… stupid… to risk his roster on the HOPE that he would find better players in July.

If he truly was looking to overhaul the guard play, he would have run them off in April when the portal was still teeming with high major prospects.

If you believe Mulcahy was wanted back, why isn't he back then?? I'll ask if you read the complete, word for word article written yesterday on Gavin Griffiths elsewhere and you still don't comprehend what I am saying, then not sure what to tell you.

If you want me to send you the article, send me your email address.

To add more details, Spencer and Mulcahy don't add value in other areas, if they aren't making shots (Spencer) or have the ball in their hands (Mulcahy).

If both stayed, what would either player add value, if they go 1 for 7 from the floor shooting??

Can you ask Spencer to defend the opposing point guard.....NO

Can you ask or expect Spencer to play plus 1 on 1 defense, without help.....NO

Can you ask Spencer to initiate the offense as a lead guard.......NO

Mulcahy could at least do all of those things better than Spencer and his play was so erratic and inconsistent, that he didn't add value or enough value to return.

Austin Williams, Jeremiah Williams, JaMicheal Davis, Derek Simpson, Noah Fernandes and Gavin Griffiths as a backcourt adds more options on offense, defense, shooting, passing, scoring, playmaking and playing at a faster pace than the backcourt last year.

There's more likely to be consistent defense on the ball with this backcourt, which will reduce the need for Mawot Mag to hold the entire defense together. Losing Caleb is a significant factor on RU being able to defend at a high level, Simpson, Davis, Fernandes along with Austin Williams will be better defenders, in transition and off the dribble.

These guards are a necessity to bring out the best in Gavin Griffiths as a transition shooter, before the defense gets set up. It doesn't mean Gavin won't be effective in a slow tempo offense like last year, it's just not ideal or sustainable winning basketball with Mulcahy and Spencer at 30+ minutes a game.

Wrong. There's no equivalency between that traitorous POS and anyone else. His lies are trying to dismantle our country. So don't be naive and try to pay attention.
Sorry I left out the obvious third option - you belong to a cult.

I agree with your analysis of Spencer and Mulcahy as players. I think both players were very valuable with the roster we had (I am referencing the good Paul).

I have a tough time thinking the staff didn’t want Cam back. We still appear to have a depth problem. Gavin can not play the “2” on this roster because we don’t have depth between him and cliff. We appear to have plenty of options below Gavin on the “number chart”

it's just not ideal or sustainable winning basketball with Mulcahy and Spencer at 30+ minutes a game.
2022-23 season was not imagined. We were a top 15 school with those guys playing those minutes. This isn’t or wasn’t a hypothetical. IT HAPPENED!!!!!

Paul
Caleb
Cam
Mag
Cliff

Simpson
Hyatt
Wolf

That rotation with starters playing all 30 MPG on most nights was one of the best teams in the country. In February I was very vocal worried about the minutes our starters were playing but I actually saw a team that could be national champions.

It's not a narrative sir, my information is FACT.....

A) there has never been a situation where a school comes out directly and says "we don't want XYZ player back"....

B) all of my information is based on actually attending the Connecticut vs NJ all star game in early April 2023. Gavin Griffiths played in the game with Papa Kante among others.

C) if you pay attention (not your fault), it is 100% clear that Gavin Griffiths was recruited as a guard....and since he is not a point guard, he views himself as a shooting guard. If you check the official Scarlet Knights website for the roster, it does NOT say Small Forward or Forward for Griffiths, it says GUARD.

D) I am not going to lift and paste a clear word for word article from elsewhere BUT it doesn't take much effort to find where if you are reasonable, you can definitely understand if Gavin views himself as a guard and Spencer was not provided with what he believed was an adequate NIL offer, he would bolt. Spencer was not a priority, I don't know how many times I have to say it.

The article elsewhere TODAY, before the trip is not what I conjured up or pulled out of thin air....it clearly says Gavin Griffiths wants to play on a roster, as a guard where he is the 2nd tallest player on the court.

Soooo.....why would you doubt my information, when it MATCHES, exactly what I've said for weeks and it comes exactly from the players mouth....not mine...not a mod....

If Gavin Griffiths, a Top 20 to 50 national recruit, something that is very difficult to recruit and land, wants to play Shooting Guard, he's going to play shooting guard.....end of discussion.....mic drop, whatever saying you're comfortable with......🤣🤣
So it took until the portal closed for Cam to understand this? Lol just stop

If you believe Mulcahy was wanted back, why isn't he back then?? I'll ask if you read the complete, word for word article written yesterday on Gavin Griffiths elsewhere and you still don't comprehend what I am saying, then not sure what to tell you.

Reactions: Degaz-RU
So it took until the portal closed for Cam to understand this? Lol just stop
There could be some grey area here. Given the amount of NIL money is somewhat of a fixed number a calculation could have been made not to allocate as much to Cam as it could be better used in other places. Obviously the risk being Cam could leave and it was a risk they were willing to take.

I am sure the staff could have went to Paul after the season and say Paul we really want you but we can't wait too long. $X amount is waiting for you but if you aren't coming back in 2 weeks we are going to have to look for other options.

Seems those repetitive lies work well for the guy who is in charge the past 2+ years. Number 46 has been a cornucopia of untruths .

To add more details, Spencer and Mulcahy don't add value in other areas, if they aren't making shots (Spencer) or have the ball in their hands (Mulcahy).

If both stayed, what would either player add value, if they go 1 for 7 from the floor shooting??

Mulcahy could at least do all of those things better than Spencer and his play was so erratic and inconsistent, that he didn't add value or enough value to return.

Austin Williams, Jeremiah Williams, JaMicheal Davis, Derek Simpson, Noah Fernandes and Gavin Griffiths as a backcourt adds more options on offense, defense, shooting, passing, scoring, playmaking and playing at a faster pace than the backcourt last year.

There's more likely to be consistent defense on the ball with this backcourt, which will reduce the need for Mawot Mag to hold the entire defense together. Losing Caleb is a significant factor on RU being able to defend at a high level, Simpson, Davis, Fernandes along with Austin Williams will be better defenders, in transition and off the dribble.

These guards are a necessity to bring out the best in Gavin Griffiths as a transition shooter, before the defense gets set up. It doesn't mean Gavin won't be effective in a slow tempo offense like last year, it's just not ideal or sustainable winning basketball with Mulcahy and Spencer at 30+ minutes a game.
Another Hawk narrative that Cam can't do anything but shoot. That's so clearly not true. Cam is a solid reliable ball handler and good passer. His bball IQ is very high. He's an elite off ball defender playing passing lanes. Like exceptional.

Also, Cam and Paul could have come back and not played 30+ min a game. It would have been unlikely if they did so it's a straw man argument

There could be some grey area here. Given the amount of NIL money is somewhat of a fixed number a calculation could have been made not to allocate as much to Cam as it could be better used in other places. Obviously the risk being Cam could leave and it was a risk they were willing to take.

I am sure the staff could have went to Paul after the season and say Paul we really want you but we can't wait too long. $X amount is waiting for you but if you aren't coming back in 2 weeks we are going to have to look for other options.
The plan was obviously to bring Cam and Paul back. It's not really debatable outside Hawk's laughable conspiracy theories

Then the NIL market exploded for these grad transfers immediately eligible and Paul and Cam took advantage and went for the money

It's not that complicated really

If it was Pike's plan when the season was over to ditch Cam and Paul he was completely incompetent at it which is why it's so obviously not true. No coach with half a brain is waiting til the portal closes to force out two returning starters. It makes zero sense, but it isn't what happened

Yes, Pike wanted to get more athletic. So did I. Could we be better next season without Cam and Paul? Sure, it's possible. There are so many changes and so many players coming off injury, it's hard to know how we will look.

The roster would be better with Cam instead of a Williams who won't even play this season. Hawk continually pretends Cam isn't good, then the defending champions pay up to snag him and he somehow tries to keep pretending he's right about it. It's wild. Cam would be even better with next year's roster having players like Noah and Austin Williams and Simpson who can drive and a floor spacer and scorer like Griffiths who can draw attention

Retroactively pretending the plan all along was to wait til the portal closed then force Cam and Paul out is a non serious argument

The plan was obviously to bring Cam and Paul back. It's not really debatable outside Hawk's laughable conspiracy theories

Then the NIL market exploded for these grad transfers immediately eligible and Paul and Cam took advantage and went for the money

If it was Pike's plan when the season was over to ditch Cam and Paul he was completely incompetent at it which is why it's so obviously not true. No coach with half a brain is waiting til the portal closes to force out two returning starters. It makes zero sense, but it isn't what happened

Yes, Pike wanted to get more athletic. So did I. Could we be better next season without Cam and Paul? Sure, it's possible. There are so many changes and so many players coming off injury, it's hard to know how we will look.

The roster would be better with Cam instead of a Williams who won't even play this season. Hawk continually pretends Cam isn't good, then the defending champions pay up to snag him and he somehow tries to keep pretending he's right about it. It's wild. Cam would be even better with next year's roster having players like Noah and Austin Williams and Simpson who can drive and a floor spacer and scorer like Griffiths who can draw attention

Retroactively pretending the plan all along was to wait til the portal closed then force Cam and Paul out is a non serious argument
Yup, this. It was a big, unexpected loss any way you look at it. The staff did the best it could on short notice to fill the holes. Why he keeps doubling and tripling down on this is beyond me.

2022-23 season was not imagined. We were a top 15 school with those guys playing those minutes. This isn’t or wasn’t a hypothetical. IT HAPPENED!!!!!

The day after Mag's injury - Bartorvik had Rutgers as #9
Finished the season #39

Same time frame
TCU - #8 to #28
Iowa St - #10 to #29
Providence - #14 to #55
Connecticut - #20 to #1
Texas - #27 to #6

Not a comprehensive list of big movers - just a few of the first bunch I checked

Reactions: GillesDeleuze
I can see Paul being stubborn. (Maybe unintentional and just by nature, however it may be) We all knew he needed to shoot the damn ball when he had an open shot, but he’d give it up too often. I’d like to think the coaches told him to shoot too. Pike also gave him the longest leash when he was in his late season slump. Should’ve worked off the bench during that time.

Sorry for all the Paul and Cam fans, but time to move on from them. We have a dunk machine in Cliff and we can’t make the most of him with guards who can’t drive and penetrate.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Ideally Cam would have stayed and Paul could have left or sat the bench.

It was a liability to have Cam and Paul playing at guard together. They couldn’t create anything and it left us super dependent on Simpson because he was the only one that could create space.

The proof that he was wanted back by Pike is that he was still on the team in June, and that, FROM ALL ACCOUNTS, the staff was completely blindsided when he entered the portal.

Let's say I agree with you about all of these points about the inherent quality of these players and their skill sets. For the record, I do NOT agree with all of your points, but assuming for the sake of argument that you're correct on all of it, YOU'RE STILL MISSING THE POINT.

The point ALL of us have been trying to make with you is that PIKE wanted both Spencer and Mulcahy back as of May/June, and he was taken aback by them entering the portal.

I wish I could "like" this post a million bajillion times.

Paul
Caleb
Cam
Mag
Cliff

Simpson
Hyatt
Wolf

That rotation with starters playing all 30 MPG on most nights was one of the best teams in the country. In February I was very vocal worried about the minutes our starters were playing but I actually saw a team that could be national champions.

There was literally no chance that roster was capable of any championship whatsoever.

You cannot play games in the high 50s or low 60s and win consistently. And by the end of January, this same team when healthy lost to

Ohio State
Temple
Seton Hall (home)
Iowa (home)

Also, a good team that has depth, can play at that level. Playing 20 games is not the same as playing 35 games. Any team can have a good 1st half of a season.

The depth on last year's roster was not B1G level caliber. That has been remedied with the upgrades this summer across all 5 positions.

Your last point in regards to Gavin Griffiths is 100% incorrect. The player himself views himself as a guard and was just quoted with the following statement he made.

"One notable thing to watch with Griffiths is where he plays on the floor, while he was listed as a small forward in high school, Griffiths is listed as a guard on the Scarlet Knights' official roster."

I think that I have the ability to handle the ball a lot on offense, and I'm working on my foot speed,” Griffiths said. “I know you can really play what position you guard, so I want to be on a team where I'm the second smallest guy when they need to do that, which is shooting guard.”

These are not my words, these are the words coming from the highest rated recruit RU has officially signed. If a player of this caliber can play anywhere in the country (Michigan Iowa UConn etc) and he wants to play shooting guard, he's going to play and start at shooting guard.

This is why it becomes very clear to me that the upgrades were needed to expand how we play. When Dylan Harper, Ace Bailey and others arrive in 2024, Gavin Griffiths is going to be in his 2nd full season at shooting guard.

There was and literally ZERO chance Cam Spencer is a better player than Gavin Griffiths. I watched Griffiths play in person in April and his game screams out shooting guard. And there is no chance I would dedicate starters minutes to Cam Spencer and slow down the growth and development of Griffiths.

There also is a bigger picture involved and it's important that RU has some returning scoring and experience on the upcoming 2024-25 roster, when Harper, Bailey, Dortch and Sommerville arrive. Griffiths, Davis and Simpson along with Ogbole, Woolfolk, Mag etc, will have a full year of experience to help when the frosh arrive.

I don't think it is binary. I think (don't know) if Paul and Cam were of the highest priority they would be here. If Cam was a real high priority we could have paid him with Noah's money.

There was literally no chance that roster was capable of any championship whatsoever. WRONG

You cannot play games in the high 50s or low 60s and win consistently. WRONG And by the end of January, this same team when healthy lost to

Ohio State
Temple
Seton Hall (home)
Iowa (home)

Also, a good team that has depth, can play at that level. Playing 20 games is not the same as playing 35 games. Any team can have a good 1st half of a season. STRONGLY AGREE

The depth on last year's roster was not B1G level caliber. STRONGLY AGREE. That has been remedied with the upgrades this summer across all 5 positions.

Your last point in regards to Gavin Griffiths is 100% incorrect. The player himself views himself as a guard and was just quoted with the following statement he made. MY point was we have no depth between Gavin and Cliff. If Gavin was a 2 who the heck plays the 3 and 4 in a world without Paul and Cam.

"One notable thing to watch with Griffiths is where he plays on the floor, while he was listed as a small forward in high school, Griffiths is listed as a guard on the Scarlet Knights' official roster."

I think that I have the ability to handle the ball a lot on offense, and I'm working on my foot speed,” Griffiths said. “I know you can really play what position you guard, so I want to be on a team where I'm the second smallest guy when they need to do that, which is shooting guard.”

These are not my words, these are the words coming from the highest rated recruit RU has officially signed. If a player of this caliber can play anywhere in the country (Michigan Iowa UConn etc) and he wants to play shooting guard, he's going to play and start at shooting guard.

This is why it becomes very clear to me that the upgrades were needed to expand how we play. When Dylan Harper, Ace Bailey and others arrive in 2024, Gavin Griffiths is going to be in his 2nd full season at shooting guard.

There was and literally ZERO chance Cam Spencer is a better player than Gavin Griffiths. I watched Griffiths play in person in April and his game screams out shooting guard. And there is no chance I would dedicate starters minutes to Cam Spencer and slow down the growth and development of Griffiths. YOU SAY CAM doesn't provide much if his shot isnt going down. What about when it does. What if Gavin has a poor shooting year? What makes you so sure the other stuff he does YEAR 1 will offset if he has a poor shooting year. Shooting is so variable so I can't use the word ZERO

There also is a bigger picture involved and it's important that RU has some returning scoring and experience on the upcoming 2024-25 roster, when Harper, Bailey, Dortch and Sommerville arrive. Griffiths, Davis and Simpson along with Ogbole, Woolfolk, Mag etc, will have a full year of experience to help when the frosh arrive.
The issue to me is how can you defend with a lineup of Paul, Cam, Griffiths, Mag and Cliff?

There was literally no chance that roster was capable of any championship whatsoever.

You cannot play games in the high 50s or low 60s and win consistently. And by the end of January, this same team when healthy lost to

Ohio State
Temple
Seton Hall (home)
Iowa (home)

Also, a good team that has depth, can play at that level. Playing 20 games is not the same as playing 35 games. Any team can have a good 1st half of a season.

The depth on last year's roster was not B1G level caliber. That has been remedied with the upgrades this summer across all 5 positions.

Your last point in regards to Gavin Griffiths is 100% incorrect. The player himself views himself as a guard and was just quoted with the following statement he made.

There was and literally ZERO chance Cam Spencer is a better player than Gavin Griffiths. I watched Griffiths play in person in April and his game screams out shooting guard. And there is no chance I would dedicate starters minutes to Cam Spencer and slow down the growth and development of Griffiths.

As usual, there is so much stupidity here I really did not respond, but I can’t help myself.

In the transfer portal era, hardly anyone outside of Kansas has any depth. If a key player goes down at the wrong time, your team will be in trouble. If you go team by team through the Big 10 last year and look at who underperformed, much of it was due to injuries. The reason there was so much demand for Cam from many of the top programs when he went into the portal is they all had big holes they were still trying to address and had run out of time with few good options.

Secondly, last year’s team was Pike’s best ever until Mag went down. We were solidly viewed as the #2 team in the conference until the wheels came off, not all due to Mag, also Mulcahy playing hurt and with no confidence.

This year’s starting lineup will be Fernandes, Williams (or Simpson), GG, Mag (or Hyatt) and Cliff. You can insist all you want about GG being an SG, but the lion’s share of the SG minutes this year will be split by Williams and Simpson.

Finally, the team was NOT healthy for the Temple game, both McConnell and Mulcahy were out, and we only lost the Ohio State game because the refs stole it from us.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Not to support EVERYTHING Hawk says, but I think he has many good points.

This one in particular - IF you watched much of Griffiths play in HS or AAU, you wouldn't say he played forward. He handled the ball a ton, bringing it up the floor, running PnR etc.
If you watched him a bunch, you'd all him a guard or maybe a wing if you were determined not to call him a guard.
That's not to say he can't play 3 or even 4, I'm just saying what I saw.

On Expressions AAU he played a lot with a lineup of 6'10" Taylor Bowen, 6'10" Matas Buzelis, a small guard and a 5. Which I'd imagine is where the line about liking being the "second smallest" came from.

I don't think it is binary. I think (don't know) if Paul and Cam were of the highest priority they would be here. If Cam was a real high priority we could have paid him with Noah's money.
Whether they were the highest priority or forced out are not even remotely the same thing

Not paying 400k for Paul doesn't mean he was forced out

Ohio State
Temple
Seton Hall (home)
Iowa (home)

Whether Gavin calls himself a guard or not is irrelevant. We can say we are starting 3 guards with Gavin being the biggest which makes him the 3 whether you call him a guard or small forward

Your other weird obsession is trying to make this a Cam vs Gavin debate. The answer was both. We wanted both. It never was an either or situation. They were both coming and both would have played plenty of minutes

Whether Gavin calls himself a guard or not is irrelevant. We can say we are starting 3 guards with Gavin being the biggest which makes him the 3 whether you call him a guard or small forward

Your other weird obsession is trying to make this a Cam vs Gavin debate. The answer was both. We wanted both. It never was an either or situation. They were both coming and both would have played plenty of minutes

I'm only reporting facts sir....tell me where it says anything else other than what was reported/quoted.

Do you think that we should completely ignore everything the player says in an actual interview......a player that is a Top 20 to 50 national recruit??

Explain it to me or how it would work with Cam Spencer on the roster, based on the exact quotes the player stated in the interview.....did I make the interview up myself???

You can't possibly believe he got 400K....LMAO.....nowhere close to that amount.....the absurd rumors that people grasp onto. Is there a document that supports him getting 400K.....NO.....

He has value, but if you listened to the podcast yesterday and others from the last weeks, you already know the 400K is 100% BS and he was never capturing anything close to that amount.

If so, why was he asking to return to RU....??

Please stop, get back to reality and support your statements with actual documented information.....I have already done so.....where's your work???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT