ADVERTISEMENT

Carino on McConnell and Practice/rotation/etc

Not surprising. He has a ton of upside. As I used to tell my AAU teams, if you want to be guaranteed playing time, either be the team’s leading rebounder or lock-down defender.

Great write up. I think Caleb is gonna have a good year. Long arms and nice spot up shooter.

There is one rule change that stood out to me and it is long overdue.

penalizing players who initiate contact by jumping into defenders.

I hate those calls because refs never adhere to the principal of verticality. I'm tired of seeing defenders go straight up, only to be called for a foul when an offensive players leans into him.

Last edited:
i've always said there should be 6 fouls in college basketball. We have 5 in high school and the college game is 8 minutes longer. The referees screw up at least 2 or 3 calls and then you are taking the best players off the court. Go to six so teams will still get the benefit of shooting fouls but not penalize the individual player as much when the refs mess up calls like always.

While talk is cheap, I think it is an excellent sign that he has verbalized wanting to be a "lock down" defender.

With his length and shooting stroke if he can be even an adequate defender against stronger 6'7'' wings he will be a tremendous asset.

Think Caleb can be a force this year. He is definitely our jack of all trades and can play and defend multiple positions. I think if he can become a lock down defender, he can find himself getting a lot of minutes, especially at the end of the game because he shot pretty well the second half of the year.

Reactions: Scarlet83
All players going to need to do their part playing D, rebounding, taking care of the ball, etc.

At the end of the day the big X factor will always be shooting.

However, if our overall D is bad we won't have the luxury of solving the PT equation with the guys that will put the ball in the basket

Caleb is the sameheight as Eugene and Yeboah, just lacks the bulk, muscle and playing time here at RU..... The question is whether or not if you give Caleb and Yeboah the same touches and shot attempts that Eugene had last year, what will RU's defense, rebounding look like on one end of the court vs what will RU's shooting percentages from 2, from 3 and from the FT look like?? if the defense is just OK with Caleb, the offensive flow and spacing will be significantly more difficult for opponents to defend...it will make RU very hard to scout and figure out where teams need to focus their gameplans.....it was very easy to scout and defend RU, with Eugene as your primary option in the frontcourt and him not being capable of generating his own offense off the dribble or from the 3 point line.

I think Caleb's looking to be mentally in the defensive mindset, is a good start by the coaching staff, to instill in a player who definitely can score and asking him to be a better 2 way player than Eugene would have been.....It also allows him to play significantly more minutes as opposed to asking him to bring the ball up as back up PG and start the offense to let Geo rest or play off the ball.

This also signals that Mulcahy is getting better and is going to find more minutes at guard, giving RU, Baker, Mulcahy and Young as options to bring the ball up and Caleb and Ron Harper as a 4th & 5th option to grab a rebound and go..

Caleb has a small forward's body, with some guard skills. I believe Harper and McConnell have the ability in another year, to both be double digits in scoring, where they each take 6 to 7 3 pointers per game....if Celeb shoots 35 to 37% from 3 and Harper shoots at worse 35% to 37% from 3, that essentially means they're combining to make 5 out of every 13 3's attempted per game. Which I would sign up for today and this season....mix in a couple from Baker, Young, Yeboah and Mathis and the roster has a chance to get to 12 to 13 3's made per contest, which would be double the production from a year ago, before this class arrived.

All players going to need to do their part playing D, rebounding, taking care of the ball, etc.

At the end of the day the big X factor will always be shooting.

However, if our overall D is bad we won't have the luxury of solving the PT equation with the guys that will put the ball in the basket

Our defense allowed 1.067 points per possession in Big Ten play last year. How much worse do you really see it getting? Previous two years under Pikiell it was 1.05 and 1.054. Considering all the freshmen we played last year, not surprised that it got slightly worse.

I'm not really interested in whether we hold Bryant to 55 or 65 points. Or if we allow 4 points in a half to a team like EMU again.

Biggest things to watch on defense:

Does the 2P% get worse without Doorson and Omoruyi? I think slightly.

Does the turnover rate improve? This is a big one. Need to be more active and force more steals, travelings, bad passes, etc.

How do teams do on 3P% against us? A lot of this is luck. In Pike's first year B10 teams shot 32.3% against us. In his second year with basically the same pieces and with lower talent in the conference, they shot 35.6%. Last year it was 36.7%. All three years opponents have taken about the same percentage of 3s in relation to total shots. I'd like to see that number go down a bit (meaning we close out better) and hopefully we get a little lucky and the 3P% goes down as well.

I'd sign all day long for 1.07.

Baker and Harper (along with Carter) are the leaders of the team. They are also the only sure thing starters (Myles probably the 3rd) on the team. Their defense certainly lacked last year. How willing is Pikiell going to be to yank minutes or even starting jobs if they don't defend? This will go a long way.

Obviously does Mathis make strides and play, does Caleb improve, what type of defender is Yeboah, how many minutes can Myles play

I think there are more question marks defensively than they are offensively.

Your answer.....
expected 1.075
standard deviation .025

Reactions: kcg88
The talk of him being the best rebounding guard we have should be ZERO surprise. Last year's numbers told us that. He was a better D rebounder than Doorson last year.

He rebounded much better than Harper and Mathis last year
he was tremendous on the glass last year as a true frosh coming off injury. I'm so excited to see him play this year

The one thing that isn't on my radar that probably should be......Pike knowing he doesnt have a good defensive team or units of 5 that arent the best defender and having them play different defenses, play more versatile units that can switch 1 thru 5.

Mike Rice inherited a laterally challenged squad and Year 1 and had us playing effective defense by just having players switch all over the place. He knew 1 to 5 could get beat off the dribble so he put the onus on the offense to make the right decisions when they beat their defender

http://barttorvik.com/team.php?year=2011&team=Rutgers

Think Caleb can be a force this year. He is definitely our jack of all trades and can play and defend multiple positions. I think if he can become a lock down defender, he can find himself getting a lot of minutes, especially at the end of the game because he shot pretty well the second half of the year.
Our "close it out" lineup should be Geo, Caleb, Ron, Yeboah and Shaq. I say Shaq/Myles because if we're up by 5 with like 2 minutes left we probably want to trade possessions with Shaq and Myles as Shaq is the far better free throw shooter. Those guys mentioned above all shoot over 70% from the FT line (Ron shot 68% last year but over 70% in b1g play) with Caleb and Yeboah shooting close to 80%.

Reactions: Scangg
Great write up. I think Caleb is gonna have a good year. Long arms and nice spot up shooter.

I hate those calls because refs never adhere to the principal of verticality. I'm tired of seeing defenders go straight up, only to be called for a foul when an offensive players leans into him.

Yes ...this is a really good change of emphasis...the key will be how will they enforce contact when defenders move the arms within their space being leaned into by an offensive player

Yes ...this is a really good change of emphasis...the key will be how will they enforce contact when defenders move the arms within their space being leaned into by an offensive player

Agree, It will be tricky. Many times you have the offensive players leaning in to initiate contact and the defender moving their arms in at the same time. It may be best to call no foul at all.

Yes!

While talk is cheap, I think it is an excellent sign that he has verbalized wanting to be a "lock down" defender.

With his length and shooting stroke if he can be even an adequate defender against stronger 6'7'' wings he will be a tremendous asset.
Very recently you said Caleb wasn't even an average defender #BTF

Glad to see you're coming around. Still think he's sharing 17 minutes with Kiss or w/e your low Caleb minutes prediction was for that? Or are you also coming around to Caleb having a more significant role?

Reactions: Scarlet83
GRF no disrespect, but I really question how you view the game and some RU players. Seems as if your rooting for Caleb to fail, and a bit negative towards him. As I've said before he's a true baller. Like Pike said he came in hurt at the beginning of the season and was hurt majority of the season. He accomplished a great deal to have played hurt. He wasn't a deer in headlights, just hurt, no playing time and a freshman. Repeat GRF Caleb is a baller. JS.

Our "close it out" lineup should be Geo, Caleb, Ron, Yeboah and Shaq. I say Shaq/Myles because if we're up by 5 with like 2 minutes left we probably want to trade possessions with Shaq and Myles as Shaq is the far better free throw shooter. Those guys mentioned above all shoot over 70% from the FT line (Ron shot 68% last year but over 70% in b1g play) with Caleb and Yeboah shooting close to 80%.

I agree, though I slightly prefer Myles to Shaq. But your reasoning is sound.

If the opposition has a quick guard, then I'd sub in Young for either Geo or Caleb. Probably Geo first, as sacrilegious as that may be.

Biggest things to watch on defense:

Does the 2P% get worse without Doorson and Omoruyi? I think slightly.

Does the turnover rate improve? This is a big one. Need to be more active and force more steals, travelings, bad passes, etc.

Without Eugene to draw charges, the D will have to generate more steals for sure.

The one thing that isn't on my radar that probably should be......Pike knowing he doesnt have a good defensive team or units of 5 that arent the best defender and having them play different defenses, play more versatile units that can switch 1 thru 5.

Mike Rice inherited a laterally challenged squad and Year 1 and had us playing effective defense by just having players switch all over the place. He knew 1 to 5 could get beat off the dribble so he put the onus on the offense to make the right decisions when they beat their defender

http://barttorvik.com/team.php?year=2011&team=Rutgers
Nothing complicated there, he just switched on EVERY screen, except for the five man.

Very recently you said Caleb wasn't even an average defender #BTF

Glad to see you're coming around. Still think he's sharing 17 minutes with Kiss or w/e your low Caleb minutes prediction was for that? Or are you also coming around to Caleb having a more significant role?

You are misquoting me all over the place

What is BTF? Do I want to know?

Another bad take for scang :Peace: :PeaceSign:

Glad to see a thread about CMac. The dude can play. Think about it, at various times during his freshman campaign we could make a case that he was:
- arguably our best 3-pt shooter,
- arguably our best rebounder (per minute),
- arguably our best passer (he had some beauties), - arguably our best foul shooter,
- arguably our best “do the little things that help us win” guy (think tipped balls, steals, hustle plays).
- arguably the player with the best court sense

You win with guys like Caleb on your team.

You are misquoting me all over the place

What is BTF? Do I want to know?

Another bad take for scang :Peace: :PeaceSign:
Umm you definitely said both of those things.

What was the bad take in that quote? That I said Caleb was better than average defender and it's shaping up like that's clearly true? And another? What was the first?

Fail fail fail

Reactions: RUHouston
Last season, Rutgers averaged 12.6 assists and 13.1 turnovers per game as a team. I thought Geo did a pretty good job manning the point as we were ridiculously thin at the position a year ago. Adding (what I hope to be) two plus ball handlers in Young and Mulcahy plus expected positive development from secondary ball handlers like Mathis, Harper and Caleb (and Geo?) could help in this area also. This is a statistical area I believe we could make a significant positive impact.

Last edited:
You didn't think Caleb is even an average defender?

No. Given his length and the fact that he was only a freshman that can certainly change.

And you said Caleb and Kiss would combined for 18 minutes which I think most would agree is "something like 17"

Defend your takes if you want to but don't try to pretend you didn't say them come on. I literally asked directly and you said no. Lol come on FIG

And you said Caleb and Kiss would combined for 18 minutes which I think most would agree is "something like 17"

Defend your takes if you want to but don't try to pretend you didn't say them come on. I literally asked directly and you said no. Lol come on FIG

I never said he was a good defender or an even average one. I said I liked the fact he has verbalized that he wants to be.

As for the PT.....these are guesses, wild guesses. I see 18 or so minutes available for either Caleb or Kiss. I am assuming Caleb will get them and Kiss out of the rotation. I have not completely given up on Kiss. There just isn't enough minutes to play all the guards/wings. My educated guess is Caleb is the last guy on the "depth chart" that is in the rotation and Kiss is odd man out. There will be games and stretches where players play more or less based on performance.

These are just guesses. Looking back last year at this time almost all of us were wrong with minutes. Almost all had 30-40 combined for Issa and Kiss. Fortunately no one lost their job or seats as this is just fun speculating.

Last season, Rutgers averaged 12.6 assists and 13.1 turnovers per game as a team. I thought Geo did a pretty good job manning the point as we were ridiculously thin at the position a year ago. Adding (what I hope to be) two plus ball handlers in Young and Mulcahy plus expected positive development from secondary ball handlers like Mathis, Harper and Caleb (and Geo?) could help in this area also. This is a statistical area I believe we could make a significant positive impact.

I almost think this is a given. I would think/hope we share the ball more which will lead to more assists. Turnovers should also go down as we are older, have more ball handlers, and rely more on scoring from the perimeter.

As for Geo as the point guard.....Geo saved the season, without him we would have done nothing. When he wasn't in the game (especially 1st 2/3 of the season) we were a complete disaster.

As I have stated many times recently, despite hearing 100% to the contrary, I am not ready to believe that Geo won't end up being the primary "point guard".

Great Take Scang........grade my paper...and then fix it if answers are wrong

Baker 30
Mulcahy 10
Young 20
caleb 18
Mathis 25
Harper 30
Yeboah 25

Total 158

(42 for the bigs)

GRF, At one time I believe you stated Caleb might not even be in the rotation and would not even get 15 minutes. You go back & forth. I stated months ago that one pro scout was at one of our last games last season and he was there scouting someone on another team. After the game he stated that Caleb was the guy he was most impressed by as he reminded him of Brian Shaw. You have constantly criticized Mulcahy but you never admit that you did. You come across as if your opinions are the only ones that matter. Perhaps you should try to be a bit more humble.

Reactions: Scangg and TRU2RU
There is no player on the roster that is a given. The only given, when healthy, from last year's team is gone. I don't think Geo Baker is a given at this point.

We are just making educated guesses at this point.

99-100% of us did not see Eugene Omoruyi after his freshman year have the potential to do what he did.

We have 200 minutes. When i say I could envision a scenario where Caleb is out of the rotation it is more a statement that I believe Mathis, Baker and Harper can have real good years/careers.

If Mathis becomes a star, Baker, Young, Harper and Yeboah are all guys that have to play major minutes (based on potential good play) then there aren't a ton of minutes left.

Let me also state.......if Young and Mulcahy can man the PG position for 40 minutes my confidence level isn't overly high that Baker is a a better option at the 2 than Caleb.

Statistics bare out Baker hasn't been a consistent and reliable perimeter shooter. I also have concerns that Baker needs/wants a dribble to put up a shot. Caleb may be the better shooter. I think Caleb will be the better defender. At this stage it is a guess who is a better shooter as a 2 between Caleb or Geo.

GRF, At one time I believe you stated Caleb might not even be in the rotation and would not even get 15 minutes. You go back & forth. I stated months ago that one pro scout was at one of our last games last season and he was there scouting someone on another team. After the game he stated that Caleb was the guy he was most impressed by as he reminded him of Brian Shaw. You have constantly criticized Mulcahy but you never admit that you did. You come across as if your opinions are the only ones that matter. Perhaps you should try to be a bit more humble.

Go to my post from scang and then guess who loses and gains minutes. We'd all love for 25+ minutes for everyone, but we can only play 3-4 perimeter players at a time.

My thoery/thesis is that Mathis is the most important/best player on the team. However, far from high conviction. If this doesn't hold there are quite a few minutes to sprinkle around that ultimately probably go to Caleb and to a lesser extent Paul.

Great Take Scang........grade my paper...and then fix it if answers are wrong

Baker 30
Mulcahy 10
Young 20
caleb 18
Mathis 25
Harper 30
Yeboah 25

Total 158

(42 for the bigs)

Just not seeing it with Mathis. I don't think his defense is what you're cracking it up to be.

Baker 30 - Seems about right (my ideal for him is 28 but as you correctly noted Pikiell goes to him when things are going sideways
Mulachy 10 - Slightly OVER (12-14)
Young 20 - OVER (25-28)
McConnell 18 - OVER (20-22)
Mathis - Way UNDER (12-14)
Harper - About right
Yeboah - About right

So I'll say:

Baker 30
Mulcahy 12
Young 27
McConnell 22
Mathis 12
Harper 30
Yeboah 25

Total 158

The key this year is to reduce turnovers by getting Geo to play more off the ball and reduce his minutes, he lead the team with 3.0 turnovers a game, 34 minutes a game. EO was 2nd with 2.5 last year, 3rd was Tez with 1.3 a game. Jacob Young will be the starting PG. At Texas, he averaged 0.9 TOV freshman and 0.6 TOV sophomore in his 16-17 minutes a game. He had a year to grow and it seems like he has natural ballhandling skills, and I think Mulcahy will be the primary backup. Just get the sense this year, Pike will keep the ball in the hands of the more natural ball handlers, he finally has 2 PGs. Geo, RHJ, and Caleb will be stop gap PGs for a minute or two here and there. Geo will start at the 2. Myles the 5, RHJ will be starting 3 or 4 and depending on the opponent or how well a player is playing, I could see Caleb, Tez, Carter and Yeboah, all getting starts this season. It will be interesting this year to see how quick this team grows into their roles, will be the difference between a winning record or NIT bound or even dancing this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT