ADVERTISEMENT

College BB Rotation Size

RU-Choppin-Ohio

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2011
Real long analysis.

How big is a rotation? The most common number of players playing at least 20% of minutes is eight, which occurred in 37% of the games. The next most common are (not surprisingly) seven and nine, each with just under a quarter of all games.

The top five players get a median of 74% of a team’s minutes during the game, but that can vary widely, from as low as 41% to as high as 100%.

I think if you could pull data on D1 in-conf and games between top 25 teams with final score differential under 10, it would show winning teams average 7 players who get 5 minutes or more.
According to Pat Riley, "Use eight, rotate seven, play six, trust five."

Real long analysis.

How big is a rotation? The most common number of players playing at least 20% of minutes is eight, which occurred in 37% of the games. The next most common are (not surprisingly) seven and nine, each with just under a quarter of all games.

The top five players get a median of 74% of a team’s minutes during the game, but that can vary widely, from as low as 41% to as high as 100%.

I am pretty sure the Top 5 players anywhere are not getting 100% of the minutes . . .

"My analysis of rotations shows that coaches play larger rotations in games against weaker opponents. In addition, they play looser rotations during non-conference and in the earlier rounds of the NCAA Tournament."

That's quite the newsflash there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT