ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can call it stupid but it is what will happen. No amount of doom and gloom will change this eventuality.

Just like the flu, it will be the norm in our society. People will develop immunity to it.
Yeah but the whole purpose of the measures being taken is to stagger the infections so the healthcare system isn't overwhelmed. We don't have an extra million hospital rooms.

Our company had another electrical shutdown cancel tomorrow due to corona. This is getting ridiculous. It was a 10 man shutdown cleaning and testing electrical switchgear.

Great investigative journalism here by the Times, detailing the coronavirus testing debacle in this country over the last 2 months. Incompetence and worse at the CDC, FDA and the Administration, in general. Worth a read to find out a big part of the reason why we're about to see US rates skyrocket over the next week or so, Italy-style, especially in the DC-Boston megalopolis which has a very high population density (higher than Italy's) and population density is likely critical to transmission rates, by pure math, given far more "opportunities" for transmission. Unless we get very aggressive NOW with testing and social distancing, we're screwed, IMO. I hope I'm wrong, I really, really do.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/...tion=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article
You should see how bad they are at my job. Their idea of preparedness is to spend a week talking in circles so that now we're doing a "test run" where everyone works from home for two days on a staggered schedule over the next three weeks. By the time these bozos figure out what they want to do, half the people on campus will be infected. I haven't been to the office in a week.

Tom Hanks and his wife are in Australia and both are positive for coronavirus. Hopefully he'll be allowed to come home after Trump's sillly ban on international travel (at least from Europe), which will accomplish very little, as we have well over 1000 confirmed cases and probably 5-10X that number in actuality, so a few new cases from abroad are now meaningless.

It also conveyed the message that this is all somebody else's fault instead of sending a signal that he international community should be working together to help each other in everyone's time of need (like we did for Ebola and during wars).

I wish he spoke more about what people should be doing. He barely mentioned social distancing and hand washing and getting tested if sick and certainly didn't talk about closures and cancellations, as I don't think he conveyed well what Fauci said earlier, which is that things are going to get significantly worse before they get better. I'm happy he spoke about financial efforts to help people and having tests and treatment covered by insurance.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/business/media/tom-hanks-coronavirus.html

NBA suspended its season.

Trump speech didn't do anything to quell the fears the market has, futures are down.

Tom Hanks and his wife are in Australia and both are positive for coronavirus. Hopefully he'll be allowed to come home after Trump's sillly ban on international travel (at least from Europe), which will accomplish very little, as we have well over 1000 confirmed cases and probably 5-10X that number in actuality, so a few new cases from abroad are now meaningless.

It also conveyed the message that this is all somebody else's fault instead of sending a signal that he international community should be working together to help each other in everyone's time of need (like we did for Ebola and during wars).

I wish he spoke more about what people should be doing. He barely mentioned social distancing and hand washing and getting tested if sick and certainly didn't talk about closures and cancellations, as I don't think he conveyed well what Fauci said earlier, which is that things are going to get significantly worse before they get better. I'm happy he spoke about financial efforts to help people and having tests and treatment covered by insurance.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/business/media/tom-hanks-coronavirus.html

It's not silly

The one statement that keeps sticking in my mind is................................7-10 days and we will be Italy.

I know you know the "case, case, case, cluster, cluster, BOOM" thing

Are you near a cluster like we have in Westchester?

In swine flu of 1918 some places like LA had few issues while Louisville Kentucky got slammed.

I knew we would get hit because of all the travelers here.

Reactions: ewc128
You should see how bad they are at my job. Their idea of preparedness is to spend a week talking in circles so that now we're doing a "test run" where everyone works from home for two days on a staggered schedule over the next three weeks. By the time these bozos figure out what they want to do, half the people on campus will be infected. I haven't been to the office in a week.
Youse guys at least made it that far. Our management team isn't even recognizing the problem at hand, let alone the coming sheetstorm. We got a poster in the mens room on proper handwashing techniques. Someone asked Facilities about sanitizing the time clocks, but the manufacturer of the clocks advised against using harsh chemicals on the devices so that's a no-go. They did wipe down all the doorknobs today though...with Bab-O. Close the plant & work from home? "Is it snowing or something?"

On Aug.15,1971,Nixon froze wages and prices for 90 days.It got him re-elected.This may do the same for Trump.

What would you have said?

More about the virus, utilizing military resources to increase hospital capacity, and quite possibly the most simple thing he could have said, if you're a company where your employees can feasibly work from home, have them work from home. Then instead of a silly payroll tax cut that mostly targets the wealthy, use that funding to shore up lost wages for hourly workers and give them some paid sick leave.

More about the virus, utilizing military resources to increase hospital capacity, and quite possibly the most simple thing he could have said, if you're a company where your employees can feasibly work from home, have them work from home. Then instead of a silly payroll tax cut that mostly targets the wealthy, use that funding to shore up lost wages for hourly workers and give them some paid sick leave.

Doesn't mean that won't get done.

You don't think everyone in DC is gonna do everything they can?

Doesn't mean that won't get done.

You don't think everyone in DC is gonna do everything they can?

We have a congressman in quarantine after mocking the virus by wearing a gas mask on the floor of congress.

So no, I don't believe with such a large republican presence in our government that effective measures will be taken.

We have a congressman in quarantine after mocking the virus by wearing a gas mask on the floor of congress.

So no, I don't believe with such a large republican presence in our government that effective measures will be taken.

That's simply partisan nonsense on your part.

When people like you are ready to do what's best for the country without a political lense we will be better off against this horrible virus

It's completely silly. It's already here and growing exponentially. A travel ban does nothing at this point except for trying to make this look like a foreign threat.
Exactly. And I was a huge supporter of the ban from China early on, when it meant something and bought us weeks of time which we've frittered away by botching the testing program so badly. However, keeping a few "spreaders" out is only huge when there are no infections present, whereas keeping some spreaders out when they're outnumbered hugely by infected people already in the US is silly.

That's simply partisan nonsense on your part.

When people like you are ready to do what's best for the country without a political lense we will be better off against this horrible virus

What does this even mean. Was a republican not mocking the virus? Has this administration walked back its proposed cuts to the CDC? (lol nope they reaffirmed their insistence on cutting the CDC's budget)

If we acted like adults and had adults as leaders maybe we had a shot. We have populist republicans in charge and look where we are now.

Now we get to see what happens when there is a catastrophe and 40% of the population has decided to substitute our reality with one more to their liking.

What does this even mean. Was a republican not mocking the virus? Has this administration walked back its proposed cuts to the CDC? (lol nope they reaffirmed their insistence on cutting the CDC's budget)

If we acted like adults and had adults as leaders maybe we had a shot. We have populist republicans in charge and look where we are now.

If you think your precious Dem politicians in DC would have us in a better spot than we are now, you have a funny imagination.

If you think your precious Dem politicians in DC would have us in a better spot than we are now, you have a funny imagination.

Yes, they would have listened to health officials. They would not and are not chasing a tax cut that does not help the most vulnerable among us. They are actually putting together a legislative package that addresses the concerns brought on by a pandemic both health wise and financial wise. The difference between them and the republicans is astonishing here.

Thanks for posting. Good info. Article says young = 40, 50, 60. Not young imho. Still a concern. Young to me is less than 30. I have four kids 12 through 19. So "young" gets my attention.

Based on China the chances of your kids showing symptoms is low. Issue is that they can carry it and this thing spreads easily.

Thanks for posting. Good info. Article says young = 40, 50, 60. Not young imho. Still a concern. Young to me is less than 30. I have four kids 12 through 19. So "young" gets my attention.
One of the newest cases in NJ is a HS kid from Red Bank. The first NJ case is a guy in his early 30s.

Jesus. Germany and South Korea are testing 7-8,000 people a day. We've tested 7,000 in total.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT