ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least we have it now. Here's something else out of the UK that talks about CT scans of the lungs as a possible early diagnostic tool as well.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/coronavirus-x-rays-show-terrifying-21672219

Yep, cool stuff - posted about that last week, but there's so much to keep up with. UK is also working on an instant test and expects it to be out in 3-4 weeks - the Holy Grail would be something like that that one could use at home (so zero risk of going out to get tested). One could imagine tests like these being used for large public gatherings. Posted that on the hoops board I think (been posting so much my brain is mush)...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1...t-scientists-warm-summer-boris-johnson-latest

We have a congressman in quarantine after mocking the virus by wearing a gas mask on the floor of congress.

So no, I don't believe with such a large republican presence in our government that effective measures will be taken.

Sadly this is true.
The precautionary measures that should have been taken were dramatically diminished due to Health Department(s) cutbacks and a total lack of acknowledgment / denial of the crisis.

I know you know the "case, case, case, cluster, cluster, BOOM" thing

Are you near a cluster like we have in Westchester?

In swine flu of 1918 some places like LA had few issues while Louisville Kentucky got slammed.

I knew we would get hit because of all the travelers here.

Speaking of Italy, someone asked in another thread if anyone knew someone who contacted the virus. Well, my wife's best friends daughter lives in Italy and her father-in-law who has lived his whole life in Milan was healthy but in his 70's contacted the virus and was dead in a few days.

Speaking of Italy, someone asked in another thread if anyone knew someone who contacted the virus. Well, my wife's best friends daughter lives in Italy and her father-in-law who has lived his whole life in Milan was healthy but in his 70's contacted the virus and was dead in a few days.

There have been suspicions that Iran and Italy have a more deadly variety of Corona . I was reading about those suspicions the same week a lady with Corona flew from Iran to NYC. Cuomo said it was all cool because "she didn't use the subways".

Why do you think that is?

The Chinese identified two variants with once considered more communicable. That observation was confirmed by others. A deadlier strain hasn't been clinically confirmed but the Iranian and Italian outbreaks were so deadly there have been experts concerned they were seeing a more deadly CV. In Iran, people have to be buried with 24 hrs and cemeteries were being described as overwhelmed

Coronavirus: Are there two strains and is one more deadly?
https://www.newscientist.com/articl...are-there-two-strains-and-is-one-more-deadly/

The Chinese identified two variants with once considered more communicable. That observation was confirmed by others. A deadlier strain hasn't been clinically confirmed but the Iranian and Italian outbreaks were so deadly there have been experts concerned they were seeing a more deadly CV. In Iran, people have to be buried with 24 hrs and cemeteries were being described as overwhelmed

Coronavirus: Are there two strains and is one more deadly?
https://www.newscientist.com/articl...are-there-two-strains-and-is-one-more-deadly/

Sucks we didn't ban travel from Italy earlier

Trump exposed to coronavirus-positive Brazilian government spokesman last weekend; he's pictured standing next to him below. Not good.

Are there any doctors on this board ? Or other medical professionals ? Would love to hear from them

CDC says there flu deaths that are posthumously testing positive for coronavirus. This means it's been circulating for longer than anyone thought, which is not surprising.

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-...0-intl-hnk/h_1319f66f92245a2fe4ec63fe91ab66c9

This dovetails with the revelations from Dr. Chu and the group out in Seattle, who I posted about yesterday. These folks had an ongoing flu study and asked CDC permission to analyze retained samples for the coronavirus in late Jan and were told no. After appealing multiple times (need permission, ethically to test those samples in a non-approved test), Dr. Chu and colleauges, said eff this, it's the right thing to go ahead and test and they found that samples from weeks earlier were positive for coronavirus, meaning it had been circulating for weeks unknown to anyone and could've been known. Even after getting the positive tests, the CDC response was to bury the info and not share it publicly. Dr. Chu ignored that also, bravely, and because of that people became aware of how widespread the virus was in the Seattle area.

We could've known about the outbreak in the Seattle area weeks before we actually found out. Let that sink in if you think the CDC and our government are "doing a great job" on this. Dr. Chu migiht get my vote for woman of the year...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/...tion=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article

At this time, the Democrats have put out a bill that includes; increased unemployment insurance benefits; expanded family and medical leave and free testing for the uninsured.

The Republicans are balking at certain provisions and are due to fly out of DC tonight for a recess. Trump seems to be against it as well.

If this does not get done today or the Republicans don't stay and continue to negotiate, the proverbial may hit the fan. Fortunately, Steven Mnuchin and Nancy Pelosi are putting politics aside and are negotiating.

We shall see what happens.

Reactions: redking
Are there any doctors on this board ? Or other medical professionals ? Would love to hear from them
What are you interesting in hearing? There are a few MDs who post in this thread. Just a PhD in chem eng'g here, although with 30+ years of working with new drugs under development in R&D, including antibiotics and vaccines, meaning I've worked with countless MDs over the years on topics like infections, transmission rates, transmission vectors, and epidemiology.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Iranian burial pits just 2 days after first announced case

ZsGX3zS.jpg

Iran’s coronavirus burial pits are so vast they’re visible from space
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/12/coronavirus-live-updates/

MORE PICS

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/iran-coronavirus-outbreak-graves/

Different treatment for Corona dead

Bodies 'pile up' in morgue as Iran feels strain of coronavirus
https://www.fox10tv.com/news/corona...cle_520038c8-f4c9-51a9-a601-873585f973a6.html

Last edited:
What are you interesting in hearing? There are a few MDs who post in this thread. Just a PhD in chem eng'g here, although with 30+ years of working with new drugs under development in R&D, including antibiotics and vaccines, meaning I've worked with countless MDs over the years on topics like infections, transmission rates, transmission vectors, and epidemiology.

So how bad do you really think this is ? What are we looking at ?

Just spoke to my Dad in southern Italy, he's doing fine and knows of only two cases in a nearby town, but those were people who came from Milan.

What does this even mean. Was a republican not mocking the virus? Has this administration walked back its proposed cuts to the CDC? (lol nope they reaffirmed their insistence on cutting the CDC's budget)

If we acted like adults and had adults as leaders maybe we had a shot. We have populist republicans in charge and look where we are now.
put a sock in it jay, do you really think any sensible person would believe the crap you re spewing,. another pissed off bernie guy

Reactions: bac2therac
Sadly this is true.
The precautionary measures that should have been taken were dramatically diminished due to Health Department(s) cutbacks and a total lack of acknowledgment / denial of the crisis.
again.. you guys keep making it political.. it isn't. Both sides had people telling Trump stopping flights from China was a bit much early on.. BOTH SIDES.

put a sock in it jay, do you really think any sensible person would believe the crap you re spewing,. another pissed off bernie guy

Was more of a Pete guy, but what crap am I spewing?

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/...ef-holds-firm-on-cdc-cuts-amid-virus-outbreak

Russ Vought, the acting director of the White House Office of Management and Budget, on Tuesday doubled down on proposed cuts to health services and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), despite the coronavirus outbreak.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/04/politics/gaetz-coronavirus-gas-mask/index.html

Rep. Matt Gaetz wore a gas mask on House floor during vote on coronavirus response package

200304183027-01-gaetz-coronavirus-gas-mask-exlarge-169.jpg

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/09/8137...lf-quarantine-after-cpac-coronavirus-exposure

Reps. Mark Meadows, Doug Collins, and Matt Gaetz said Monday that they are self-quarantining after learning they came in contact with a person infected with coronavirus while attending a conservative conference in the Washington area last month.

I can direct you to the nearest burn center if need be.

So how bad do you really think this is ? What are we looking at ?

I tried to summarize all my thoughts in a post late Tuesday night (link below - it's long, lol), but the bottom line for me is that if we did nothing, which some people are advocating, we'd likely have 5-10X more deaths than from the flu (150-600K instead of the 30-60K we see from the flu, given the 5-10X greater "true" mortality rate) and we'd have most of them (and serious infections requiring hospitalizations) occurring in a very short period, given the much greater transmission rate than flu, overwhelming our systems. That's why governments are working so hard to contain this.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...ing-ugly-good-luck.191275/page-7#post-4442323

Reactions: RUMorrisTech
FAQs for Hackensack Meridian Health’s Center for Discovery and Innovation’s
Rapid Response Coronavirus Test
1. How does the new test speed up the process of diagnosing COVID-19?
Following clinical evaluation of a patient, physicians at Hackensack Meridian Health can
obtain a highly reliable result in hours. If it’s positive, the isolated patient is treated
immediately. If it’s negative, the patient avoids unnecessary time in isolation and the
hospital. The current process involves consulting with the state Department of Health
and sending test results to the state lab in central New Jersey. This process can take a
day or two because the facility is processing all suspected cases in the state. Network
experts would still notify the state as well as the CDC of positive results, but the
notification won’t impact treatment decisions.
2. When will the test be in use in your health network?
The CDI has obtained an Emergency Use Authorization from the Food and Drug
Administration to use the test. This fast-track system is used to approve new drugs or
new indications for previously approved drugs or devices during an emergency. For
example, the FDA issued Emergency Use Authorizations to make available diagnostic
and therapeutic tools to identify and respond to the 2009 swing flu outbreak.
The New Jersey Department of Health also approved the test. Last week, CDI
researchers received live virus and viral RNA – a major step toward validating the test.
The dated and is now in limited use at Hackensack Meridian Health hospitals.
3. Who can get tested?
The testing will be available on a limited basis at first: The priority will be patients at
Hackensack Meridian Health hospitals who are experiencing severe symptoms. There
are clinical criteria which the CDC has established, which the network adheres to.
Experts expect to test 24 patients every eight hours during the initial phase of testing at
the network.
What we don’t want is a lot of patients showing up to be tested because they don’t feel
well. Patients experiencing symptoms that may include fever, cough and/or shortness of
breath should contact their physicians. The CDC believes that symptoms may appear in
as few as two days or as long as 14 days after exposure.
4. Why is it so important for Hackensack Meridian Health to do its own testing?
As New Jersey’s largest and most comprehensive health network with 17 hospitals and
more than 500 patient care locations, it’s important to have accurate and rapid testing
because it really becomes a triage tool. It not only benefits patients; it helps the entire
health care team assess how to best manage patients. Is the patient going into
isolation? Who have they had contact with? We want to have more control over what’s
happening to patients in our network.
Additionally, by having our own test we will ease the burden of the New Jersey State
Department of Health lab which is currently doing all of the testing in New Jersey.
5. How does this test compare to the CDC test?
The CDC test is a good test but it’s not perfect. We learned that a very prominent
research group in Germany had developed a test, which was ultimately approved by the
World Health Organization. We then married some elements of both tests to produce
what we believe is a highly reliable test – and one that will yield results on site and
faster.
The CDC kits sent out nationwide in February included a faulty component. However,
the agency has enhanced testing capability. On March 9, the CDC announced that it now
has the testing capacity in 78 states and local health labs across all 50 states to test for
the coronavirus. There are now 75,000 lab kits cumulatively to gest for COVID-19 with
more coming, the CDC said.
6. Will Hackensack Meridian Health share the test with other networks and hospitals?
Beyond this preliminary stage, our goal is to capitalize on the technology and find ways
to expand its use throughout the region and across the nation.

Not so far, just amateurs and their opinions.

Would really like to hear from infectious disease physicians

Here I am. And I've already said that our meteorology friend numbers has given you very accurate information.
The only part that he's missing is the implementation part and dealing with real life people who have all kinds of anxieties. You would be amazed when I try to get a nasopharyngeal specimen from somebody the screaming goes on. Then I have the people who have some weird morbid thing going on about taking selfies with their masks on in the exam room. Do you have a fever and the answer is always I definitely had a fever last night but don't have a thermometer. Are you short of breath and the answer is yes I'm short of breath despite them having a normal pulse ox and respiratory rate. And are you coughing ?promptsa fit of coughing. Our population is not an easy one to deal with when it comes to pandemic. Unfortunately it's always the sick ones who don't speak up and seek help until it is too late. Historically we always have a minority of consumers using a majority of medical services.

Reactions: rurichdog
What do you think will actually happen?

Edit: Directed at numbers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT