ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone has an opinion now ... where were these same people 3-4 months ago... they blame Trump but many make the claims they knew or saw this coming... that is just as bad... they all want their 5 minutes of fame on CNN/ MSNBC

Everyone has an opinion now ... where were these same people 3-4 months ago... they blame Trump but many make the claims they knew or saw this coming... that is just as bad... they all want their 5 minutes of fame on CNN/ MSNBC
No blame in this thread. Just stuff from MDs. The podcast is well worth the listen. May everyone remain safe and behave responsibly.

Hey folks - please try to ignore the misinformation that's spreading around the web these days. What kind of sick twisted people would circulate wrong/misleading info on the virus? And it's especially heinous, because it's a mixture of correct and incorrect info that easily confuses people. My 87 year old dad got this email and sent it to our family and he's a bright guy, but just missed the wrong info. It purported to be from Stanford Hospital. Shameful. The false claims are in the link (don't even want to post them, but it had stuff like gargling with salt water is a preventative and washing the virus down with water will send it to the gut where it will be killed).

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/viral-social-media-posts-offer-false-coronavirus-tips/

Are you sure about NJ going from 29 to 69 in 24 hours? I could have sworn I saw an article on NJ.com that had us at 50 yesterday.

I still think we're going to come out of this in the end more like Japan and South Korea than Italy and Spain and even so I think we have overreacted to it, I more and more understand why with Italy and the silver lining in all this is it's a wake-up call, even if this virus is controllable here, the next one might not be and maybe this Covid-19 will help prepare us for it if/when it hits.
What makes you think this won't be so bad and that we won't follow Italy/Spain? My hope is that we're not first and people are now seeing Italy and Spain's pain and our leaders will lock everything down NOW, which could move us towards a slower increase, "flattening the curve" so to speak, so we don't get peak infection rates we can't handle, but if we don't move fast, we're absolutely destined for Italy/Spain, especially where the population density is high, like any city. And if we watch what's going on there and don't respond ASAP, it'll be criminal. Can't believe NJ hasn't officially closed schools for Monday yet. They better. Very scary graphic on the daily new cases growth rate...

image.png.fe28b00f3698f64791f6ffd11bc5ba04.png

Last edited:
What makes you think this won't be so bad and that we won't follow Italy/Spain? My hope is that we're not first and people are now seeing Italy and Spain's pain and our leaders will lock everything down NOW, which could move us towards a slower increase, "flattening the curve" so to speak, so we don't get peak infection rates we can't handle, but if we don't move fast, we're absolutely destined for Italy/Spain, especially where the population density is high, like any city. And if we watch what's going on there and don't respond ASAP, it'll be criminal. Can't believe NJ hasn't officially closed schools for Monday yet. They better.
Look, I'm no scientist obviously, but a few days ago the CDC reported that South Korea deaths have all been over the age of 50, none under and 75 total deaths while Italy is at the opposite of the spectrum. I think we need to stop thinking viruses will hit all countries the same, factors matter. But so is getting ahead of this virus. South Korea I understand has while it appears Italy was caught off guard.

And getting ahead of this virus is the key and despite the criticisms about Trump and the CDC being slow moving, I think we're catching up and the PSA about washing hands,self quarantines and shutting down big events like NCAA's is big.

However, it's been a while since I stayed at a Holiday inn so I'm most likely talking out of my ass, unlike you who seems to have a good grasp of it.

Reactions: Wolv RU
Look, I'm no scientist obviously, but a few days ago the CDC reported that South Korea deaths have all been over the age of 50, none under and 75 total deaths while Italy is at the opposite of the spectrum. I think we need to stop thinking viruses will hit all countries the same, factors matter. But so is getting ahead of this virus. South Korea I understand has while it appears Italy was caught off guard.

And getting ahead of this virus is the key and despite the criticisms about Trump and the CDC being slow moving, I think we're catching up and the PSA about washing hands,self quarantines and shutting down big events like NCAA's is big.

However, it's been a while since I stayed at a Holiday inn so I'm most likely talking out of my ass, unlike you who seems to have a good grasp of it.
South Korea also tests thousands of people. They are doing a better job isolating cases now - they are tracking people by GPS on their phones. We don't have that capability. Asians also have no problem with wearing masks in public. While not perfect, it does slow the spread. See Taiwan, Singapore, and Hong Kong. On the other hand, my friends are out at the bars, having house parties, and hanging out with people who knowingly work in the same office as confirmed covid cases.

Last edited:
South Korea also tests thousands of people. They are doing a better job isolating cases now - they are tracking people by GPS on their phones. We don't have that capability. Asians also have no problem with wearing masks in public. While not perfect, it does slow the spread. See Taiwan, Singapore, and Hong Kong. On the other hand, my friends are out at the bars, having house parties, and hanging out with people who knowingly work in the same office as confirmed covid cases.
Posted yesterday about the masks. I truly believe we could stop this virus in its tracks by simply requiring every single person to wear a mask outside of the house to prevent transmission (and doing this with aggressive social distancing would be even more effective). It would be about preventing infected people who are either asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic, but don't know they have the virus (there are many of these - probably 10X the number of confirmed cases, based on past history of outbreaks in other countries on the exponential growth curve, like US and most of Europe) from uknowingly transmitting the virus, as masks will prevent virus-filled droplets from entering the air from their mouths/noses from sneezing, coughing and even breathing. It's not a coincidence that the countries that have controlled their outbreaks are in Asia, where wearing masks is expected in epidemics, mostly from their experience with SARS in 2004.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...ng-ugly-good-luck.191275/page-14#post-4450962

Posted yesterday about the masks. I truly believe we could stop this virus in its tracks by simply requiring every single person to wear a mask outside of the house to prevent transmission (and doing this with aggressive social distancing would be even more effective). It would be about preventing infected people who are either asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic, but don't know they have the virus (there are many of these - probably 10X the number of confirmed cases, based on past history of outbreaks in other countries on the exponential growth curve, like US and most of Europe) from uknowingly transmitting the virus, as masks will prevent virus-filled droplets from entering the air from their mouths/noses from sneezing, coughing and even breathing. It's not a coincidence that the countries that have controlled their outbreaks are in Asia, where wearing masks is expected in epidemics, mostly from their experience with SARS in 2004.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...ng-ugly-good-luck.191275/page-14#post-4450962
Yup have the same belief. Think about masks being good for keeping germs in rather than keeping germs out.

Another highly respected MD (and a Rutgers alum) advocating self-isolation.

Welcome back. We need everyone working together on encouraging aggressive social distancing, at this point, including our governments at every level, and all of us as individuals, as it's the only way to prevent us from heading down that path to Italy/Spain, which is where we're still heading as of today. Best of luck to you and yours in this effort.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Now, if only there were masks available for purchase, maybe we could start the trend. A recent article in the NYT talked about how 95% of the surgical masks sold in the USA are made in China, the few remaining US-based manufacturers have 1000x times the orders they normally get and have no hope of fulfilling them. China is just now starting to get their production lines back online, and are fulfilling domestic demand for masks while slow-playing the rest of the world. IMO, the CCP will use this event as a giant f-u to the West.

Reactions: RU2055 and RU848789

The national government shit the bed on this one. My hope is they knew it could be bad but were secretly behind the scenes planning their asses off. Unfortunately the evidence doesn't support my hopes and that could be devastating. Local hospitals seem to have had a better handle on the breadth of this virus and have been planning, but can only prepare so much with what they have on hand. This could be a rough few weeks coming up.

What makes you think this won't be so bad and that we won't follow Italy/Spain? My hope is that we're not first and people are now seeing Italy and Spain's pain and our leaders will lock everything down NOW, which could move us towards a slower increase, "flattening the curve" so to speak, so we don't get peak infection rates we can't handle, but if we don't move fast, we're absolutely destined for Italy/Spain, especially where the population density is high, like any city. And if we watch what's going on there and don't respond ASAP, it'll be criminal. Can't believe NJ hasn't officially closed schools for Monday yet. They better. Very scary graphic on the daily new cases growth rate...

image.png.fe28b00f3698f64791f6ffd11bc5ba04.png

Those numbers will soon see a much bigger increase now that we have the tests and are opening drive through swabs sites. I wonder if the good ole government will still need to confirm in order to count positives in the statistics. They shouldn't because they shit the bed enough with inadequate testing. I knew this over two weeks ago.

You are very reasonable.

Some people here are getting it and others are not. People should be keeping their distance and not socializing. This can spin out of control very quickly. Would anyone care to visit Holy Name in Teaneck? The hope is that outbreak is the exception but not the rule. This is what the virus is capable of and everyone needs to wise up. Schools will all close soon here in NJ and probably a state or national multi week quarantine is most likely around the corner.

Reactions: JayRU09
Hoboken the leader of the effort to control the coronavirus? You better believe it.

This is what we need to do country-wide, now, especially in densely populated areas like every city and most suburbs. But we need this being led and coordinated federally and at the State level, not by individual towns. It's the only way to prevent us going down the path of Italy/Spain, where their health care systems are being overwhelmed. We're about 6-7 days from that as we speak.

Here's yesterday's article/details...

HOBOKEN, N.J. (WCBS 880) — The city of Hoboken in New Jersey is implementing a curfew and closing some bars to combat the spread of coronavirus.

"The City of Hoboken is doing everything possible to advance social distancing, including preventing large gatherings anywhere in the City. The health and safety of residents is my number one priority," Mayor Ravi Bhalla said in a statement.

Under new measures announced Saturday night, all bars and restaurants, with and without a liquor license, are no longer permitted to serve food within the restaurant or bar, but will limited to food takeout and food delivery service only.

If a bar does not currently offer food, they will no longer be permitted to operate and are no longer permitted to serve alcohol, effective March 15th at 11 a.m.

The city's Office of Emergency Management is also implementing a city-wide daily curfew that will be in effect from 10 p.m. through 5 a.m. effective Monday until further notice.

During this curfew, all residents will be required to stay in their homes except for emergencies, or if they are required to work by their employer.

"As I am writing this message on a Saturday evening, I received a call from our Police Chief Kenneth Ferrante notifying me of a bar fight in downtown Hoboken, with at least one person falling in and out of consciousness, and our police having to wait for over 30 minutes for an ambulance to arrive, because our EMS is inundated with service calls," Bhalla said. "This is unfortunately a contributing factor why we cannot continue bar operations which can trigger calls for service that are delayed in part because of this public health crisis."

"These are extremely challenging times, and we are seeing a substantial uptick of positive COVID-19 cases throughout New Jersey and throughout the world," Bhalla added. "The time is now to enact proactive policies that will help save lives in the long run. We’ve asked families with children to be a part of social distancing by closing our schools. We must all now do our part."

"I completely recognize that these measures will result in substantial changes and inconveniences to our daily lives. However, these measures are being taken to save lives and protect our residents. I strongly urge residents to continue to take every measure possible in order to practice social distancing, washing your hands, and sanitizing all surfaces," the statement concluded.

Hoboken had already ordered all gyms, day cares, move theaters, playgrounds and ballfields in the city to close over the outbreak; parks will remain open. The city is also suspending street cleaning.

Hoboken is closing public and charter schools for two weeks starting Monday. The Hoboken Public School District will provide breakfast and lunch service to all students who qualify for free and reduced lunch in any of the four public school districts (Hoboken Public School District, Elysian, HoLa and Hoboken Charter School). Meal service will be available for pick up from 8:30-10:30am and can be picked up from the 9th Street side door (between Clinton and Grand Streets) of the Hoboken High School cafeteria.

Hoboken announced Friday that its first known positive case of coronavirus in the city was a man in his 40s who was being kept in self-isolaton at home.

Two people have died in New Jersey because of coronavirus. The state has a total of 69 confirmed COVID-19 cases.

Now, if only there were masks available for purchase, maybe we could start the trend. A recent article in the NYT talked about how 95% of the surgical masks sold in the USA are made in China, the few remaining US-based manufacturers have 1000x times the orders they normally get and have no hope of fulfilling them. China is just now starting to get their production lines back online, and are fulfilling domestic demand for masks while slow-playing the rest of the world. IMO, the CCP will use this event as a giant f-u to the West.

Yep, saw that article last night. China has been hoarding the masks. We need them. Now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/business/masks-china-coronavirus.html

I work at large financial company listed in S&P 500. We have different divisions all over country and world, several thousand employed total. My division and office is in Bergen County, 2 connecting 12 floors buildings, we only have 1 complete floor with about 100 people. Probably 1500-2000 total people in the buildings, also a daycare, doctor’s offices, a shared cafeteria, elevators, gym, visitors in and out..etc. 4 people on my floor have been quarantined since family or they have been out of country, several others have went home “sick.” Company position is for us to be in the office Monday morning despite us all having remote capability and not much need for “customer” involvement. We still just have our 1 remote day per week. With all the other large companies, sports leagues, schools, now towns, shut down, I think the company position is a bit irresponsible. Granted, I’m not an alarmist and maybe this virus is exaggerated, maybe not...but at this point, better safe than sorry. Any thoughts or similar work from home stories out there??

Reactions: linzalonic
https://peterattiamd.com/peterhotez/
This guy is not a lackey. If you want to hear directly from an expert and not filtered through media sources or non-experts, this is a good listen.
Regularly listen to Peter Attia, MD on regular medical issues pertaining to longevity.
His guest on this podcast is
Peter Jay Hotez, M.D., Ph.D.

https://www.bcm.edu/people/view/peter-hotez-m-d-ph-d/b1846a47-ffed-11e2-be68-080027880ca6
Education

M.D. from Weill Cornell Medical College
05/1987 - New York, NY, United States
Ph.D. from The Rockefeller University
05/1986 - New York, NY, United States
B.A. (magna cum laude) from Yale University
05/1980 - New Haven, Connecticut, United States
-------------------
Moderators! Please stop the bullshit with merging of threads. My thread was distinct and separate from @RU848789 's thread for a reason.
Whoever merged the threads should be ashamed of themselves.

Reactions: redking
I work at large financial company listed in S&P 500. We have different divisions all over country and world, several thousand employed total. My division and office is in Bergen County, 2 connecting 12 floors buildings, we only have 1 complete floor with about 100 people. Probably 1500-2000 total people in the buildings, also a daycare, doctor’s offices, a shared cafeteria, elevators, gym, visitors in and out..etc. 4 people on my floor have been quarantined since family or they have been out of country, several others have went home “sick.” Company position is for us to be in the office Monday morning despite us all having remote capability and not much need for “customer” involvement. We still just have our 1 remote day per week. With all the other large companies, sports leagues, schools, now towns, shut down, I think the company position is a bit irresponsible. Granted, I’m not an alarmist and maybe this virus is exaggerated, maybe not...but at this point, better safe than sorry. Any thoughts or similar work from home stories out there??
They should allow people work from home if they are capable of working at home. If you feel strongly about it and they don’t budge, maybe take vacation days or sick days and they may change their mind in a week or so.

Another possibility is to go in wearing mask and latex gloves for your protest.

Last edited:
Id use the one remote day on Monday and wait for new updates. My company was wishy washy about it all week last week. CEO even went to our huge, crowded open space office the previous Friday to be like "see, what's the big deal". Thursday, had a webcast at 9am to tell everyone the show must go on. By 4pm, email goes out to say all non essential workers wfh.

My wife, who works for a state agency, has gotten no guidance. She raised it to her boss, and they have no plan. No communication. You can stay home if you test positive or if your family member tests positive.

My place is starting half from home this week for two weeks then we rotate. People with special circumstances may wfh full time. It took two weeks to ramp up with By running testing...wfh capacity to handle large numbers, compatibility, get everyone set. The view is they don't want 100% all at once or they could have huge problems. Clear rules in place that A,B,C,D do not mingle. A/B rotate, C split office and DR site, D are full WFH. My team is NY, London, Warsaw, India and one other US location, so we have splits in geographically and in region.

assumption is full wfh with 1-2 weeks except C (trading teams). One confirmed case in my office a few flows below, but i am already 300 miles from office working remotely.

They should allow people work from home if they are capable of working at home. If you feel strongly about it and they don’t budge, maybe take vacation days or sick days and they may change their mind in a week or so.

Another possibility is to go in wearing mask and latex gloves.
Need to confirm they can support #’s of remote access or there could be issues

Hoboken the leader of the effort to control the coronavirus? You better believe it.

This is what we need to do country-wide, now, especially in densely populated areas like every city and most suburbs. But we need this being led and coordinated federally and at the State level, not by individual towns. It's the only way to prevent us going down the path of Italy/Spain, where their health care systems are being overwhelmed. We're about 6-7 days from that as we speak.

Here's yesterday's article/details...

HOBOKEN, N.J. (WCBS 880) — The city of Hoboken in New Jersey is implementing a curfew and closing some bars to combat the spread of coronavirus.

"The City of Hoboken is doing everything possible to advance social distancing, including preventing large gatherings anywhere in the City. The health and safety of residents is my number one priority," Mayor Ravi Bhalla said in a statement.

Under new measures announced Saturday night, all bars and restaurants, with and without a liquor license, are no longer permitted to serve food within the restaurant or bar, but will limited to food takeout and food delivery service only.

If a bar does not currently offer food, they will no longer be permitted to operate and are no longer permitted to serve alcohol, effective March 15th at 11 a.m.

The city's Office of Emergency Management is also implementing a city-wide daily curfew that will be in effect from 10 p.m. through 5 a.m. effective Monday until further notice.

During this curfew, all residents will be required to stay in their homes except for emergencies, or if they are required to work by their employer.

"As I am writing this message on a Saturday evening, I received a call from our Police Chief Kenneth Ferrante notifying me of a bar fight in downtown Hoboken, with at least one person falling in and out of consciousness, and our police having to wait for over 30 minutes for an ambulance to arrive, because our EMS is inundated with service calls," Bhalla said. "This is unfortunately a contributing factor why we cannot continue bar operations which can trigger calls for service that are delayed in part because of this public health crisis."

"These are extremely challenging times, and we are seeing a substantial uptick of positive COVID-19 cases throughout New Jersey and throughout the world," Bhalla added. "The time is now to enact proactive policies that will help save lives in the long run. We’ve asked families with children to be a part of social distancing by closing our schools. We must all now do our part."

"I completely recognize that these measures will result in substantial changes and inconveniences to our daily lives. However, these measures are being taken to save lives and protect our residents. I strongly urge residents to continue to take every measure possible in order to practice social distancing, washing your hands, and sanitizing all surfaces," the statement concluded.

Hoboken had already ordered all gyms, day cares, move theaters, playgrounds and ballfields in the city to close over the outbreak; parks will remain open. The city is also suspending street cleaning.

Hoboken is closing public and charter schools for two weeks starting Monday. The Hoboken Public School District will provide breakfast and lunch service to all students who qualify for free and reduced lunch in any of the four public school districts (Hoboken Public School District, Elysian, HoLa and Hoboken Charter School). Meal service will be available for pick up from 8:30-10:30am and can be picked up from the 9th Street side door (between Clinton and Grand Streets) of the Hoboken High School cafeteria.

Hoboken announced Friday that its first known positive case of coronavirus in the city was a man in his 40s who was being kept in self-isolaton at home.

Two people have died in New Jersey because of coronavirus. The state has a total of 69 confirmed COVID-19 cases.

Bhalla has digested the information out there, consulted with his staff and has made a rational and sane decision IMO. Short term, it sucks and people will be hurt by the directive. Long term, the hope is mass infection and a crippled community is avoided. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. More people need to think like Bhalla. Too bad the feds didnt do the same earlier.

As you say, better safe than sorry. And that is my mantra.

I wonder who insures your company. There was some word that this thing can cause lung damage reducing capacity, probably for life. Whoever insures this company against lawsuits for negligence for avoidable death and injury should have a little conversation with this CEO. Perhaps a whistleblower-type phone call or email might be in order.

Reactions: redking
Thought this was interesting...we're on Day 11, 6 days from a total lockdown. Will we do better? The jury is out. Fauci was just on CNN basically saying we need a Federally let lockdown, but saying he wasn't there to make policy, meaning he knows our Administration doesn't support that, sadly. As per the link I posted on Friday, for every day one waits for total lockdown, 40% more cases will occur.

My Coronavirus timeline in Italy (by Tanya Alice).

What day are you on?

Day -1 (Feb 20 - 3 cases) - It's something happening in a far away country.

Day 2 (Feb 23 - 152 cases) - Oh wow, there are cases of this in my country. But it's just like the flu, no need to panic. Everyone is overreacting. And it's well away from my area.

Day 4 (Feb 25) - They are closing schools and canceling sporting events in other parts of my country. But it really only affects old people. I'll be fine.

Day 5 (Feb 26 - 424 cases)- Let's talk about the politics of this. Politicizing it will probably lead to solutions.

Day 6 (Feb 27) - This is really going to hurt the tourism industry. We need to all support our friends losing jobs now.

Day 7 (Feb 28) -Ok, I think I've finally figured out how to wash my hands. 20 seconds seems like a really long time. Is this necessary? Why are some people wearing face masks?

Day 8 (Feb 29 - 1,128 cases)- Just getting back from visiting all my friends, hugging, eating, drinking, traveling, everything is normal.

Day 9 (Mar 1) - A lot of gossip, I heard there was someone in my city with it. It hasn't been confirmed but I know someone who knows someone who works at a hospital.

Day 11 (Mar 3 - 2502 cases)

Day 12 (Mar 4) - All schools are closing. Should I close my school? But what about our St. Patrick's day party? What about our plans this week? I've already scheduled everything. We need to meet about the Ireland trip this summer!

Day 13 (Mar 5) - A scramble to organize distance learning. Training staff over conference calls how to work remotely. Collecting things from the office to bring home.

Day 14 (Mar 6 - 4636 cases)

Day 15 (Mar 7) - Everyone you know is worried that their cold isn't a cold. Coughing in public is frowned upon.

Day 16 (Mar 8 ) - Acceptance. This is happening. Many people are working from home. More offices are sending their workers home. More people are wearing masks and gloves in public. There are more cases reported, more fatalities, and now people closer and closer to home. This is real. We need to be part of the solution.

Day 17 (Mar 9 - 9,172 cases) - Total nationwide shutdown. #iostoacasa is trending (#ImStayingHome). You can leave your house for work, groceries or health reasons. Bars and resturants are open from 6am-6pm. No congregating on the streets. Maintain social distancing, one meter apart.

Day 19 (Mar 11) - Even more total shutdown. No more bars and resturants. All retail workers are out of work. Grocery stores and pharmacies can stay open as well as employees working on production and supply chains.

Day 20 (Mar 12 - 15,113 cases) - Cabin fever starts, but settling into remote working. More chatting and connecting with others over the phone and internet. Gosh I hope my phone doesn't break.

Day 21 (Mar 13) - Scrolling through Facebook and realizing, most of my friends in the UK, US and Australia are on day 4.

As of March 12 there over 15,000 cases and over 1000 deaths in italy. 1,258 people have "recovered" and there are still 12,839 active cases of which 1,153 are critical, requiring hospitalisation with a ventilator.

It's day 72 in China.”

Thought this was interesting...we're on Day 11, 6 days from a total lockdown. Will we do better? The jury is out. Fauci was just on CNN basically saying we need a Federally let lockdown, but saying he wasn't there to make policy, meaning he knows our Administration doesn't support that, sadly. As per the link I posted on Friday, for every day one waits for total lockdown, 40% more cases will occur.

My Coronavirus timeline in Italy (by Tanya Alice).

What day are you on?

Day -1 (Feb 20 - 3 cases) - It's something happening in a far away country.

Day 2 (Feb 23 - 152 cases) - Oh wow, there are cases of this in my country. But it's just like the flu, no need to panic. Everyone is overreacting. And it's well away from my area.

Day 4 (Feb 25) - They are closing schools and canceling sporting events in other parts of my country. But it really only affects old people. I'll be fine.

Day 5 (Feb 26 - 424 cases)- Let's talk about the politics of this. Politicizing it will probably lead to solutions.

Day 6 (Feb 27) - This is really going to hurt the tourism industry. We need to all support our friends losing jobs now.

Day 7 (Feb 28) -Ok, I think I've finally figured out how to wash my hands. 20 seconds seems like a really long time. Is this necessary? Why are some people wearing face masks?

Day 8 (Feb 29 - 1,128 cases)- Just getting back from visiting all my friends, hugging, eating, drinking, traveling, everything is normal.

Day 9 (Mar 1) - A lot of gossip, I heard there was someone in my city with it. It hasn't been confirmed but I know someone who knows someone who works at a hospital.

Day 11 (Mar 3 - 2502 cases)

Day 12 (Mar 4) - All schools are closing. Should I close my school? But what about our St. Patrick's day party? What about our plans this week? I've already scheduled everything. We need to meet about the Ireland trip this summer!

Day 13 (Mar 5) - A scramble to organize distance learning. Training staff over conference calls how to work remotely. Collecting things from the office to bring home.

Day 14 (Mar 6 - 4636 cases)

Day 15 (Mar 7) - Everyone you know is worried that their cold isn't a cold. Coughing in public is frowned upon.

Day 16 (Mar 8 ) - Acceptance. This is happening. Many people are working from home. More offices are sending their workers home. More people are wearing masks and gloves in public. There are more cases reported, more fatalities, and now people closer and closer to home. This is real. We need to be part of the solution.

Day 17 (Mar 9 - 9,172 cases) - Total nationwide shutdown. #iostoacasa is trending (#ImStayingHome). You can leave your house for work, groceries or health reasons. Bars and resturants are open from 6am-6pm. No congregating on the streets. Maintain social distancing, one meter apart.

Day 19 (Mar 11) - Even more total shutdown. No more bars and resturants. All retail workers are out of work. Grocery stores and pharmacies can stay open as well as employees working on production and supply chains.

Day 20 (Mar 12 - 15,113 cases) - Cabin fever starts, but settling into remote working. More chatting and connecting with others over the phone and internet. Gosh I hope my phone doesn't break.

Day 21 (Mar 13) - Scrolling through Facebook and realizing, most of my friends in the UK, US and Australia are on day 4.

As of March 12 there over 15,000 cases and over 1000 deaths in italy. 1,258 people have "recovered" and there are still 12,839 active cases of which 1,153 are critical, requiring hospitalisation with a ventilator.

It's day 72 in China.”
what's your source for that "diary"?

Have a friend in South Korea. They were doing spectacularly well compared to the rest of the world.

Until a cult who refuses to listen had someone catch it and now they have 250 more cases cause cults gonna cult.

3 members in Montgomery Twp Somerset County tested positive under home quarantine.

It's already here and about to get a lot worse...the article below is about a hospital in Teaneck. We needed to be in full lockdown already. We're 6 days from where Italy was when they locked down, which was too late.

https://www.roi-nj.com/2020/03/14/opinion/life-at-the-epicenter-of-n-j-s-coronavirus-outbreak/

Eleven cases. Six of which are in the ICU. And 40 more patients under observation.

All at Holy Name Medical Center in Teaneck.

The numbers are growing by the day. So quickly that not all of them are included in the state’s official coronavirus count.

It’s why Holy Name CEO Mike Maron thinks all the attention the coronavirus has been getting in New Jersey — from the school closings, banning of public gatherings, suspensions of pro sports leagues and even the fights over toilet paper and bottled water — is not enough. Not even close.

“There is absolute reason to be extremely cautious, to be very concerned,” he said.

Holy Name Medical Center CEO Mike Maron.

Maron and his staff are working around the clock under the most trying of conditions. The vitally important single-use N95 masks that are needed to care for patients who have been identified — you know, the ones the state is running out of? Holy Name went through 795 of them. Just on Friday. By 7 p.m.

“They say we are getting more,” he said. “And we’ve asked (Gov. Phil Murphy) to get into the stockpile. We need them.”

The same goes for test results.

Maron said he has given up on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“They haven’t even confirmed our first case,” he said.

He knows the state lab is overloaded. And, while Maron praised the efforts of LabCorp — “they’ve really been great to work with” — he has seen firsthand, every day for a week, how quickly the disease can spread.

“The labs are very, very slow,” he said. “I’m still waiting to hear back on two of my cases that are in ICU. We’ve seen enough patients that our team feels it can make a diagnosis. We’re not taking any chances. We’re isolating people.

“Forget about all that ‘presumptive’ stuff.”

Maron is a widely respected health care executive because he has proven a single-entity hospital can compete in quality of care with the bigger systems that surround him. He now knows Holy Name has another distinction.

“Holy Name is at the epicenter of the outbreak in New Jersey,” he said.

Maron said the past week has been unlike any other in his more than four-decade career.

“I can fall back on my cholera experiences in Haiti, which was devastating, considering the lack of basic medical supplies after the earthquake — and then the other things that came here, everything from MERS and SARS, and even when we ramped up for Ebola — this is unprecedented,” he said.

“I can tell you, it’s real.”

We're up to 15,000 tests vs South Korea's 250,000 tests and have 6X their population. Depressing. As I've been saying for days now, South Korea's combination of i) aggressive testing to identify infected people, especially those with the virus but no/mild symptoms, who are the biggest spreaders of the virus; ii) aggressive containment to quarantine infected confirmed cases and their contacts (including detailed tracking of all cases/contacts); and iii) aggressive social distancing with all public gatherings cancelled and simple public contact discouraged (at least without masks - using them to keep the virus in more than to keep it out) have been critical to their achieving control of the outbreak without overwhelming their health care systems.

SK's total number of cases and new case rate were nearly identical to Italy's about 10 days ago and we can see from the graphs below that SK's new case rate is now way down and sustained, while Italy's continues to go up. Looking at the US graph, which way do you think we're going? Clearly, like Italy, unless we lock it all down. Now. Not tomorrow. Now. Does anyone have confidence in our Federal leadership doing this? Me either, but at least we're seeing states/cities taking action, like in Hoboken.

NDFeQjL.png

h9DPJbM.png

gYv3Qfu.png

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Last edited:

I wore my thermal winter face mask thing to the store today. Felt stupid but it was the best I could do.

Peeps stop creating fear. Showing #'s on how many will die is creating panic. How many people are getting stressed out and are going to die from heart attacks and strokes reading all this . Just heed the warnings, wash your hands and stay home. Simple

Peeps stop creating fear. Showing #'s on how many will die is creating panic. How many people are getting stressed out and are going to die from heart attacks and strokes reading all this . Just heed the warnings, wash your hands and stay home. Simple
Problem is, not enough people are heeding the warnings and staying home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT