ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked with a few IT folks, as I've given lots of large presentations in 80K and elsewhere, so it's possible we know each other. I actually just retired in December and 818, 801 and 814 are all there and full of busy chemical engineers and chemists. Plus, they just rehired me at 8 hrs/wk consulting on a bunch of "special topics" since I took a lot of experience knowledge with me, so I still get to see the changes going on...
You can get lost in 80K and the adjoining buildings to it, but I rarely venture out of 34 as its busy enough, I run that building as well as 119. I love the people in 34, because I support their meeting I know most of them and they appreciate what I do and let me know all the time. The company I'm contracted through, well, that's a horse of a different color.....

Are US citizens going to cooperate with a full-scale lockdown if it becomes necessary? Will US authorities be able to supply 8 million NYC residents with food? Will we be able to bring in hundreds or thousands of doctors from other parts of the country like China did? China had a well defined epicenter of the outbreak and relatively little impact (if their numbers are to be believed) outside of that area. Here in the US, it seems that we already have multiple epicenters (NYC and Seattle in particular) or perhaps a nationwide epidemic that we really don't see yet due to testing deficiencies, because we were seeded gradually in multiple locations.

I really have no idea what to expect at this point.
Doubtful. Us Americans are a stubborn bunch. I have friends who are out at the bar right now, having block parties, neighbors are chilling around a fire pit, even tho one said his office in NYC has a known case.

Only way this works is if the Natl Guard is mobilized and patrolling the streets 24/7.

Reactions: rurichdog
Doubtful. Us Americans are a stubborn bunch. I have friends who are out at the bar right now, having block parties, neighbors are chilling around a fire pit, even tho one said his office in NYC has a known case.

Only way this works is if the Natl Guard is mobilized and patrolling the streets 24/7.
Yep. In my FB feed this morning, a teary nurse pleading to the masses to practice social distancing to #FlattenTheCurve, don't buy masks because her hospital needs them, just stay home unless it is essential.

Also in FB feed, selfies of this nurse in a crowded bar Friday night, at an Irish Dance recital Thursday night, standing in a long line at Costco the prior Saturday, etc.

Reactions: redking
In case anyone has any doubts about what is going on in Italy. My son's, sr. in HS, girlfriend is attending his school this year through study abroad program. She is from Milan, Italy. Her Mother and 7-year old brother are in the quarantine. GF txts with her Mom many times a day. Everythinig you read about how bad it is there is true, and it may be even worse. Just passing info on. Best of luck to everyone. Stay safe.

as gross as it sounds, how about pulling up your tee-shirt neck over your nose when you have to sneeze.. keep all those germs inside your perimeter. it could be a matter of life and death to someone

Reactions: RU848789
as gross as it sounds, how about pulling up your tee-shirt neck over your nose when you have to sneeze.. keep all those germs inside your perimeter. it could be a matter of life and death to someone
That’s exactly something I do sometimes depending on what I’m wearing. I don’t care. Forget about now but always. It’s my own mucky germs that’s fine...I keep them to myself rather than spreading them to others. It’s common courtesy.

It’s exactly why everyone wearing mask would be a good thing. Help people keep their germs to themselves.

Has there ever been research on how/why viruses might hit countries differently?

I'm sure there are lots of studies. Of course some populations aren't exposed to the same viruses as other so they have lower immunity. You hear about that with the aboriginal Americans and the settlers who brought diseases like smallpox. Then you have countries like Africa who were more prone to HIV because they had poor hygiene along with some bad habits and customs. All that sort of stuff aside, I don't know if something could that could target a nations people specifically

Maybe I read it wrong... my searches only revealed a post saying Trudeau's Wife tested positive. Maybe it originally said "his wife tested positive" and I did not see what that was in response to because of "ignore"?

Probably my error.
Trudeau's wife and now Spanish PM's wife have tested positive.

Also an article on the role of asymptomatic carriers in spreading the virus. One observation of some positive passengers on a plane surprisingly showed the viral loads of asymptomatic cases were actually higher than the viral loads of the ones showing symptoms....higher load means more likely to spread the virus.

From the article:

New studies in several countries and a large coronavirus outbreak in Massachusetts bring into question reassuring assertions by US officials about the way the novel virus spreads.

But it appears that a Massachusetts coronavirus cluster with at least 82 cases was started by people who were not yet showing symptoms, and more than half a dozen studies have shown that people without symptoms are causing substantial amounts of infection.

Several experts interviewed by CNN said while it's unclear exactly what percentage of the transmission in the outbreak is fueled by people who are obviously sick versus those who have no symptoms or very mild symptoms, it's become clear that transmission by people who are asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic is responsible for more transmission than previously thought.

"We now know that asymptomatic transmission likely [plays] an important role in spreading this virus," said Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota.

Osterholm added that it's "absolutely clear" that asymptomatic infection "surely can fuel a pandemic like this in a way that's going to make it very difficult to control."

In an article two weeks ago in the New England Journal of Medicine, Bill Gates, co-chair of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, expressed concern about the spread of the disease by people who haven't yet developed symptoms, or who are only a bit sick.

"There is also strong evidence that it can be transmitted by people who are just mildly ill or even presymptomatic. That means COVID-19 will be much harder to contain than the Middle East respiratory syndrome or severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), which were spread much less efficiently and only by symptomatic people," he wrote, using the scientific word for the disease caused by the virus.

Others agree that people without serious symptoms play a substantial role in the spread of the new coronavirus.

"Asymptomatic and mildly symptomatic transmission are a major factor in transmission for Covid-19," said Dr. William Schaffner, a professor at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine and longtime adviser to the CDC. "They're going to be the drivers of spread in the community."

Osterholm urged public officials to be clearer about the way the virus is spread.

"At the very beginning of the outbreak, we had many questions about how transmission of this virus occurred. And unfortunately, we saw a number of people taking very firm stances about it was happening this way or it wasn't happening this way. And as we have continued to learn how transmission occurs with this outbreak, it is clear that many of those early statements were not correct," he said.

"This is time for straight talk," he said. "This is time to tell the public what we know and don't know."

In February, employees of Cambridge biotechnology company Biogen attended a company meeting. After the meeting was over, three employees tested positive for the virus.

Those three employees did not have symptoms during the meeting, according to Ann Scales, a spokeswoman for the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, who noted that an investigation into the outbreak is ongoing and new information about cases and their symptom status may become available later.

There are also reports in other countries of significant transmission by people who are asymptomatic or only mildly symptomatic.

On Tuesday, Dr. Sandra Ciesek, director of the Institute of Medical Virology in Frankfurt, Germany, tested 24 passengers who had just flown in from Israel.

Seven of the 24 passengers tested positive for coronavirus. Four of those had no symptoms, and Ciesek was surprised to find that the viral load of the specimens from the asymptomatic patients was higher than the viral load of the specimens from the three patients who did have symptoms.

Viral load is a measure of the concentration of the virus in someone's respiratory secretions. A higher load means that someone is more likely to spread the infection to other people.

While Ciesek has not yet published this finding, on February 18, she published a letter in the New England Journal of Medicine about two passengers who returned to Germany from Wuhan, China, and tested positive for coronavirus.

One of these positive passengers had no symptoms and the other had a faint rash and a mild sore throat. When she took their testing samples back to the lab, she successfully infected a cell culture with the patients' swabs.

"We can conclude that both patients [were] shedding virus that is able to infect cells, and, most likely, other humans," Ciesek wrote in an email to CNN.

Early, large-scale studies using mathematical modelling of outbreaks in Tianjin, China, and Singapore in January and February have also found significant amounts of spread by people who had not yet developed symptoms.

A study posted Sunday by Belgian and Dutch researchers shows that between 48% and 66% of the 91 people in the Singapore cluster contracted the infection from someone who was pre-symptomatic. Of the 135 people in the Tianjin cluster, between 62% and 77% caught it from someone was pre-symptomatic.

Canadian, Dutch and Singaporean researchers looked at the same outbreaks in Tianjin and Singapore and found that infection was transmitted on average 2.55 days and 2.89 days before symptom onset respectively in each location.

"Our analysis would suggest that presymptomatic transmission is pretty commonplace," said the study's lead author, Caroline Colijn, who leads the mathematics, genomics and prediction in infection and evolution research group at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia.

CDC officials have said that while it's clear asymptomatic spread does happen, it does not appear to be the driver of the outbreak -- or as the CDC says on its website, asymptomatic transmission "is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads."

"If I were writing that CDC webpage today, I would phrase that a little more towards transmission before symptoms show up," Colijn said.

Ciesek, the German virologist, agrees that the CDC should tweak its statement.

"I read it before, and I wondered to myself -- why are they so sure of this?" she said.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/14/health/coronavirus-asymptomatic-spread/index.html

Nah, I'm IT and video conferencing, will be there 7 years this May. I did get added on to the ODEC team for the Keytruda Bladder hearing at the FDA last December which was pretty intense and quite the experience.

How long have you been retired? 818 I believe is still standing but not sure about 801 and 814, if its been a few years since you left you might not recognize that end of the campus.

Edit: all three buildings still standing

I’m in building 84.

I’m in building 84.
Major changes coming to 84, in fact major changes across the board, I think Rahway will soon be Merck's HQ and Kenilworth will become NewCo's HQ's.

Not surprising either, Merck will never abandon Rahway, it's too historic (Building 50) and they could never afford to clean the grounds that would require them to shut it down.

Major changes coming to 84, in fact major changes across the board, I think Rahway will soon be Merck's HQ and Kenilworth will become NewCo's HQ's.

Not surprising either, Merck will never abandon Rahway, it's too historic (Building 50) and they could never afford to clean the grounds that would require them to shut it down.

Ohhhhh, do tell. What is happening to the building?
I should stay with Merck and not the split. I’m in the IRT group.

Are there actually people with mild symptoms whose mild symptoms resolve without a hospital stay? Is this confirmed?

HQ might be JC.

Reactions: Ronnie_B
I might be confusing 84 with 86....where is the Training Center? Whatever building its in it will be expanded into a major conference center.

The asymptomatic carriers thing basically means that we would have to have tested everyone coming in and then our entire population.. including illegals and homeless and recluses who go out only every once in awhile.

While any additional large-scale testing may have helped.. the barn door was open before we could have had the tests. The USA is just too big, too porous.

HQ might be JC.
For NewCo? They are being very hush-hush about its HQ, most of us are just assuming Kenilworth, but JC huh, I wonder where and why there if it is....and if it is there then does Rahway become Merck's HQ or does it stay in Kenilworth?

For NewCo? They are being very hush-hush about its HQ, most of us are just assuming Kenilworth, but JC huh, I wonder where and why there if it is....and if it is there then does Rahway become Merck's HQ or does it stay in Kenilworth?
Merck would stay in KW is my understanding. Helipad is easy to get to.

Reactions: Ronnie_B
Merck would stay in KW is my understanding. Helipad is easy to get to.
I'm trying to remember if during Frazier's and Ali's town hall if they ever said if they were moving HQ to Rahway or it's just assumption.

If true about JC, that's not going to be cheap at all.

Are there actually people with mild symptoms whose mild symptoms resolve without a hospital stay? Is this confirmed?
Yes, the vast majority of infections will resolve without a hospital stay (think "only" about 10% require hospitalization, which is still quite high). This is not Armageddon, but it will be much worse than the flu if we don't take aggressive actions as we've all been saying.

Reactions: Joey Bags
Lots happening, can't reveal, sorry. My old area is in R&D which is almost all staying in Merck. I'd rather be in MK than Newco if I had a choice, but most won't have a choice.

Spain now on the route to Italy after their tepid response to the outbreak. This will happen here if we don't start doing even more social distancing.

MADRID — Just last weekend, about 120,000 people marched through downtown Madrid to celebrate International Women’s Day. Some 60,000 soccer fans filled one of the city’s largest stadiums. And 9,000 supporters of Vox, Spain’s third-largest party, gathered inside a former bullring.

Now Spain has the second-highest number of coronavirus infections of any European country, after Italy — overtaking the larger nations of France and Germany — and faces the fastest spreading contagion on the Continent.

Between last weekend and Friday, the number of cases in the country shot from several hundred to 4,200, with 120 deaths, and the prime minister warned that the number of cases could reach 10,000 by next week. That would give Spain one of the fastest rates of coronavirus contagion in the world.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/...QATTs6GdPVnSo76kk525ZWQ9byk2Dg9MWceaap-XrKq4c

Getting really bad in Spain and other European countries heading down the same path, as is the US. Still unfathomable that we're not doing much testing and aren't in full lockdown yet in the US. We need federal leadership - states can't do it all.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...adens-covid-19-travel-ban-spain-goes-lockdown

Spain goes on lockdown; Italy tops 20,000 cases

Spain's government today announced a lockdown for the whole country, which begins on Mar 16, affecting 46 million, El Pais reported today. The order, slated to last 15 days, allows people to leave their homes to buy food and medicine, to work, and to care for minors, the elderly, and other vulnerable people.

Behind Italy, which is also on lockdown, Spain has the second most cases in Europe and now has 6,391 cases and 195 deaths, according to RTVE, the country's public broadcasting network. The country's main hot spots are Madrid, Catalonia, the Basque country, and Andalusia.

Meanwhile, France, stopping short of a lockdown, announced sweeping new measures today, temporarily shuttering all public places except for food stores, pharmacies, and gas stations, and urging people to stay indoors as much as possible, France 24 reported. The country has now reported nearly 4,500 cases, 91 of them fatal.

Elsewhere, Italy's health ministry today reported 3,497 more cases and 175 more deaths, raising its respective totals to 21,157 cases, 1,441 of them fatal. Germany now has 3,795 cases and 8 deaths, according to the latest numbers from the Robert Koch Institute.

In the United Kingdom, a group of 229 scientists wrote a letter to the government, urging it to take tougher measures to control the spread of the virus, the BBC reported, noting that UK officials were hesitant to take strong steps too early over worries about public frustrations. The scientists are pressing for more social distancing measures, but some government health officials have said the existing approach factors in some herd immunity benefits. Reuters reported today that the government will ban mass gatherings next week.

The UK today said its total has grown by 343 new cases and 10 more deaths, for a total of 1,140 cases, 21 of the fatal.

Interesting Twitter thread from a computational/system biologist working on infectious diseases who has spent five years in a self-described a world class 'pandemic response modelling' unit. No clear answers.

giphy.gif

Just had our first case in Metuchen, a man in his 50s who is recovering. NJ from 29 yesterday to 69 today and the US from about 2000 to 2951 tonight with a 2nd death. NY with 613, almost catching up to Washington with 642 - NY will pass them tomorrow.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
Are you sure about NJ going from 29 to 69 in 24 hours? I could have sworn I saw an article on NJ.com that had us at 50 yesterday.

I still think we're going to come out of this in the end more like Japan and South Korea than Italy and Spain and even so I think we have overreacted to it, I more and more understand why with Italy and the silver lining in all this is it's a wake-up call, even if this virus is controllable here, the next one might not be and maybe this Covid-19 will help prepare us for it if/when it hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT